Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012

Grey Hunter posted:

Yeah, months of recon told me that.
Those pilots have been earmarked for the Kamikaze squadrons.

Overall, its going well, Efate was a disaster, but Noumou will fall once the fresh troops arrive and march south - I'm hopeful for the end of the month, after that, we will hit Efate again, then look a Fiji while strangling Australia of any US supplies!

The war CAN be won!

By Christmas we will be surely home!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Junkozeyne posted:

By Christmas we will be surely home!

Note the year is not specified.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Grey Hunter posted:

Note the year is not specified.

1942, 2042, it's all the same.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Mikl posted:

1942, 2042, it's all the same.

Instead of bombs they're getting us with Civics and hentai

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Our support troops come under B-17 attack.

We take another layer of forts!

Time to rest up here again.

A few nice ground combats, but I think I sunk all the allied ships.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
You really, really need to stop attacking Hankow for a while. In December you had over 2400 AV to 900 Chinese AV. In January you had 1700 to 400. Now you have 1300 AV to 325 Chinese AV. If you can supply your troops and get that AV back up you have a chance to actually win, but as it is you're annihilating your troops and worse, giving the Chinese defenders experience every time you suicide into them. You especially need to stop attacking without enough supply, because that's both giving you a malus to the attack and burning the supply you need to rebuild your shattered formations (Remember, you started with over 5000 AV!)

Velius fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Feb 9, 2017

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Just how many troops are in the general vicinity of Hankow right now?

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

9 February 1943

British corvette Erica, sunk off the Libyan coast by a friendly mine laid 19 months previously by British submarine Rorqual.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Velius posted:

You really, really need to stop attacking Hankow for a while. In December you had over 2400 AV to 900 Chinese AV. In January you had 1700 to 400. Now you have 1300 AV to 325 Chinese AV. If you can supply your troops and get that AV back up you have a chance to actually win, but as it is you're annihilating your troops and worse, giving the Chinese defenders experience every time you suicide into them. You especially need to stop attacking without enough supply, because that's both giving you a malus to the attack and burning the supply you need to rebuild your shattered formations (Remember, you started with over 5000 AV!)

Are you saying that the sheer will of the Imperial Soldier is not enough to win the day? Maybe you need to rethink your allegiance. :colbert:

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
How come noumea is losing forts so quickly? Lack of engineers or lack of supply? Or is that just how the game works? Though it seems like some areas took forever to get their fortifications knocked down.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

Murgos posted:

How come noumea is losing forts so quickly? Lack of engineers or lack of supply? Or is that just how the game works? Though it seems like some areas took forever to get their fortifications knocked down.

Combat engineers in the attacking forces will speed this up a lot. I don't know the composition of Grey's forces there but that may be why. And yes, the defenders can rebuild, but quickly enough to overcome constant attacks. (Which are what happens because Grey believes the concept of "rest" and "reorganization" to be in opposition of the Bushido spirit)

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Building forts scales by level. Going from 0 fort to 1 fort takes like a day or two depending on the number of engineers around. Going from like 4 to 5 takes forever.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Whew, caught up at last!

Grey, are all 4 of your seaplane cruisers in the yards converting to CVLs?
I'm guessing 4 CVLs with a total capacity of 120 planes will be rather welcome come autumn.

Also because I'm slighty nuts I ran a modified Coral Sea campaign 8 times, 10 days each, to see what settings are best for aerial ASW.
The Coral Sea campaign is just 11 days long and really small so it's doable to use it as a test bed. Takes only about 5 minutes to run a turn, check the logs and write some stuff down, so this little test only cost me about 8 hours of my life. :v:

People keep saying you want to fly Naval search missions to find subs and ASW missions to kill them, but I didn't have much luck with that in my own allied playthrough so I wanted to know for sure.

I played 4x10 days of naval search (VP-11 against a total of 10 japanese subs) and then 4x10 days of ASW with the same squadron against the same subs.
Variables were mission type NavS vs ASW, altitude at 1000 or 6000 feet and planes with radar or not (I edited VP-11 to fly eighter PBY-4s or PBY-5s to keep the pilots the same).
The pilots were good at NavS (skill 56-75) and sucked at ASW (skill 27-37)

Results: (a spotting is one sub one day, so max possible spottings were 100 in each scenario (10 subs for 10 days)):
NavS@1000 No radar: Spotted 2 subs, max detection level 4/4 (kinda bad)
NavS@6000 No radar: Spotted 2 subs, max detection level 2/2 (really bad)
NavS@1000 Radar: Spotted 0 subs(!), max detection level 1/1 (meaning a "detection", but not good enough to count as a spotting. Basically the aircrew going "Nah, probably nothing")
NavS@6000 Radar: Spotted 2 subs, max detection level 3/3 (bad)
ASW@1000 No radar: Spotted 6 subs, max detection level 10/10 (best possible, you know everything about this guy including what he had for breakfast)
ASW@6000 No radar: Spotted 7 subs, max detection level 10/10
ASW@1000 Radar: Spotted 9 subs, max detection level 10/10
ASW@6000 Radar: Spotted 6 subs, max detection level 10/10

So these results were rather clear. It rather shocked me how bad naval search is at finding subs.

Conclusions:
ASW missions consistently spotted more subs and had generally higher detection levels than the NavS-missions in all 4 scenarios.
ASW missions at 1000 feet found more subs than the mission at 6000 feet but the diference was small (15 vs 13).
Planes with radar found more subs than the planes without, but only when flying ASW and the difference was small (15 vs 13 again).
NavS skill is probably used to find subs and ASW skill to attack them. I had very few attacks against the subs and exactly zero hits on a sub.

Factors not controlled for:
Weather. Probably has a rather large effect, at least on planes without radar I'd guess.
But with 40 turns played in each mode I'm rather confident the weather is roughly comparable across the two main variables.
Weather is perfectly possible as an explanantion for the altitude and radar-variations tough.

So filling all the choke-points behind your lines with planes flying ASW missions, even if your pilots suck at ASW, and setting some naval ASW TFs in the same areas is probably the most efficient, rather than flying Naval search. At least in areas where allied surface ships are highly unlikely.

I might mod the scenario and run it some more to see if I can determine what the best method for optimizing naval ASW is.
Will flying night ASW help at all for instance.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Naval Search for ships, ASW for subs, there's no reason to try searching for subs with NavS or regular ships with ASW.

To quote from the manual

quote:

Naval Search

The aircraft will search for Enemy Task Forces (subs or surface) in all directions out to their extended range. They will carry an extended range bomb load in case they spot a sub or surface ship, in which case they will attempt to attack unless driven off by CAP or FLAK. Individual planes searching for enemy Task Forces conduct naval search. The search continues until a TF is detected or the plane exceeds its range. Once a TF is detected, the plane may terminate its flight depending on range to target; the nearer the TF is to the plane's base, the more likely that the plane may continue to fly searches. Searches within 5 hexes of the base are more likely to detect TFs as there will be a number of planes transiting to and from the search areas. Setting the max range to a lower range than the full extended range will improve the chance to detect, as this can translate to more flights by the same plane. Because the search can be terminated due to detecting a TF, it is possible that better targets may be missed.

vs

quote:

ASW Patrol

An ASW (anti-submarine warfare) Mission is the same as a Naval Search Mission except that the range flown is cut in half and the chance of attacking a submarine once sighted is increased. ASW searches have a better chance to detect Sub TF than Surface TF, whereas Naval Searches have the opposite effect. The chance of sighting the enemy is increased with the number of planes searching.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Naval Search for ships, ASW for subs, there's no reason to try searching for subs with NavS or regular ships with ASW.

To quote from the manual

vs

Yeah, but the size of the effect surprised me. I'd gotten the impression that if you have two squadrons you're better off doing NavS in two places rather than NavS and ASW in the same place, because NavS missions -do- find subs occasionally. Also that NavS -skill- is obviously a lot more important than ASW skill in ASW as well. It's logical, but shut in this game frequently isn't.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Caconym posted:

Yeah, but the size of the effect surprised me. I'd gotten the impression that if you have two squadrons you're better off doing NavS in two places rather than NavS and ASW in the same place, because NavS missions -do- find subs occasionally. Also that NavS -skill- is obviously a lot more important than ASW skill in ASW as well. It's logical, but shut in this game frequently isn't.

Yeah, but the hard numbers you provide show how much better ASW missions are at detecting subs at higher levels, which is cool and something grog games should probably include in their manual...

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

No updates for yesterday or today until tomorrow. I'm afraid. I'm away and forgot to copy them to Google docs.

I blame the early waking baby.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Grey Hunter posted:

No updates for yesterday or today until tomorrow. I'm afraid. I'm away and forgot to copy them to Google docs.

I blame the early waking baby.

Quoting this so your child resents you in 14 years.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Jobbo_Fett posted:

We should get GH Jr. an account. Start 'em early.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Jobbo_Fett posted:

For anyone who was wondering what SOVIET RESPONSE meant in the context of the wedding...

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

gradenko_2000 posted:

We should get GH Jr. an account. Start 'em early.

If he's really smart, he'll be able to write his own name and draw simple scribbles before this LP is over. Hopefully we'll get an illustrated update.

Assuming we last as long as the Japanese did, of course.

wukkar
Nov 27, 2009
Have GH Jr finger-paint the monthly graphs.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

He's already gone from being a bump to crawling, starting to stand and saying ma-ma-ma-mama, so many things have happened already.

The wife vetod fathership, the day by day lp.
then again, it was almost as bad as the idea to do a sims lp....

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Chuu posted:

If he's really smart, he'll be able to write his own name and draw simple scribbles before this LP is over. Hopefully we'll get an illustrated update.

Assuming we last as long as the Japanese did, of course.

Combat reports written in crayon stuck to the refrigerator

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
GH Jnr will probably do better than the IJN comand

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

Combat reports written in crayon stuck to the refrigerator

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Needs more backwards letters, tbh.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

dublish posted:

Needs more backwards letters, tbh.

The o and all the Is are backwards

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Have one of those family drawings with the lovely house and the sun, except mom is labelled IJN and dad is labelled IJA

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Have one of those family drawings with the lovely house and the sun, except mom is labelled IJN and dad is labelled IJA

Does this make their child the emperor?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

RZApublican posted:

Emperor Kiddohito

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Grey Hunter posted:

He's already gone from being a bump to crawling, starting to stand and saying ma-ma-ma-mama, so many things have happened already.

The wife vetod fathership, the day by day lp.
then again, it was almost as bad as the idea to do a sims lp....

Maybe publishing it but please do keep a diary. Write down all the stupid silly poo poo that happens over the course of the day. You'll treasure a written copy.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Please don't suggest that Grey is getting a divorce.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

RZApublican posted:

Have you met any British children?

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

Ron Jeremy posted:

Maybe publishing it but please do keep a diary. Write down all the stupid silly poo poo that happens over the course of the day. You'll treasure a written copy.

Seconding this. We got five year diaries for each of our kids and fill them out each day. It's an invaluable resource; my wife still has hers from when she was a kid.

Also a great gift for anyone you know who is expecting.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

RZApublican posted:

Themistocles argued that his son ruled all the world, for Greece ruled the world, Athens ruled Greece, he ruled Athens, his wife ruled him, and his son ruled her.

Trogilus
Nov 3, 2012

Caconym posted:

NavS missions & ASW

Thanks for sharing the ASW test stuff. The depth of this game is something else. The vague manual only makes it more charming.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Diamir posted:

Thanks for sharing the ASW test stuff. The depth of this game is something else. The vague manual only makes it more charming.

No problem. The vague manual and vague "experts" on the official forums are more infuriating than charming to me. :v:
Also I want Grey to hurt those allied subs, so he needs to know that running NavS airsearch+ASW TFs only is insufficient.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

What the hell are you doing here?

Our subs are still out there.

The bombers keep making trouble.

We bring down a Liberator!

They splatter the ground.

We are still losing a lot of planes.