Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Vib Rib posted:

I guess it's irrelevant because vetting is already a thing and people need to stop acting like the only alternative to this travel ban is to let people stroll in with no paperwork.

I do not understand why Democrats hosed up so badly in the messaging on this. It goes way beyond their normal level of fuckuppery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Vib Rib posted:

Elizabeth Warren tried to read a quote from Coretta Scott King on the Senate floor. She was interrupted by the Senate chair and told to basically shut up, then the majority leader (Mitch McConnell) also told her to shut up. She was banned from reading it aloud.
McConnell announced of the incident:

Which is phrased so perfectly it sounds like something history books say about civil rights leaders who refused to stop fighting against oppression despite all odds. Unsurprisingly those words have only emboldened the other side, not having quite the intended effect.

Yeah, other Democrats + Bernie went and read the letter as well (and didn't get silenced; for some reason only the woman was told to shut up), multiple articles are covering it, the letter's being spread everywhere. It backfired massively. Spicer even had to address it in his press conference today (and in typical Spicer fashion did so in the worse way possible, saying that if Coretta Scott King were still alive she'd support Sessions; I hope he gets loving torn apart over that).

"Nevertheless, she persisted" is going to be the left's new catchphrase for quite a while. It could be the title of Warren's (auto)biography/her campaign slogan in 2020, really. Mitch and the others hosed up.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Plan Z posted:

It's got the whole gaming comic thing of "Would work with about half the panels removed" but yeah it's at least a sound idea for VG Cats

Mainly cause it was blatantly stolen from Dorky.

It was hardly original when they did it, though.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
I like how we've all given up on king possum ever paying attention to the thread or the dates of things and just accepted reposts as a fact of life now.

Ambitious Spider posted:

saw this on my local antifa twitter

This looks like an edit, is there an original version of this by someone?

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Angepain posted:

I like how we've all given up on king possum ever paying attention to the thread or the dates of things and just accepted reposts as a fact of life now.

This looks like an edit, is there an original version of this by someone?

I put 'em in the same mental category as FAROOQ and PCOS Bill and MisterBibs. Probably senile, definitely not worth trying to get them to change their ways at this point.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Pants Donkey posted:

Preview your posts and use timg tags where necessary

Seriously what is up with constant lovely toon dumps this year?

In this case, he's a lovely gimmick poster whose gimmick is to flood the thread with pictures and wait for someone to spot the ones he cribbed from earlier posts and complain.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Roland Jones posted:

Spicer even had to address it in his press conference today (and in typical Spicer fashion did so in the worse way possible, saying that if Coretta Scott King were still alive she'd support Sessions; I hope he gets loving torn apart over that).
Actually, he said "he would hope she would support Sessions if alive today"

Which is still loving stupid and insulting, but if discussing it with someone who will be willfully disengenerous it might keep them from using it as a trap.

World Famous W fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Feb 9, 2017

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I do not understand why Democrats hosed up so badly in the messaging on this. It goes way beyond their normal level of fuckuppery.

I'm not sure I see how the Democrats have "hosed up" anything with regard to messaging on this subject.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Discendo Vox posted:

I'm not sure I see how the Democrats have "hosed up" anything with regard to messaging on this subject.

Democrats are allowing the issue to be framed as "Vetting vs No Vetting" when the reality is "Vetting vs No Travel". Nobody is actually arguing for letting people stroll off a boat and into America, but you wouldn't know that from the Dems.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

World Famous W posted:

Actually, he said "he would hope she would support Sessions if alive today"

Which is still loving stupid and insulting, but if discussing it with someone who will be willfully disengenerous it might keep them from using it as a trap.

Fair point. I've heard both said and didn't see the actual quote myself until after I posted that.

Still, a twelve page letter on why he's awful should put to doubt any rest on the idea that she'd support Sessions among people who aren't either disingenuous assholes or drinking the Kool-Aid.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Voyager I posted:

Democrats are allowing the issue to be framed as "Vetting vs No Vetting" when the reality is "Vetting vs No Travel". Nobody is actually arguing for letting people stroll off a boat and into America, but you wouldn't know that from the Dems.

"allowing it to be framed"? Who is framing it this way? How are Democrats able to magically control issue framing? The people who see this as vetting versus none are people who systematically ignore Democrats in the first place. The Democrats have been emphasizing the reality of the situation as much as is humanly possible.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Voyager I posted:

"How dare you not prevent people from believing obvious lies!"

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

You know, I have a feeling you're right about this. I feel like the "we've got no vetting" narrative goes unopposed, but I'm not sure what's giving me that idea.

EDIT: Let me expand a bit on this. This could be my personal bubble, but even my Democrat voting coworkers seem to think we don't do any real vetting. I see Trump and his thralls bring it up all the time, and get very little pushback for it, if any. It has given me a sense that the "no vetting" narrative is winning, despite being objectively false.

Jonas Albrecht fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Feb 9, 2017

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Emasculator posted:

I do love that comic though, it's one of the best all year. The sheer amount of contempt that drips from it is astounding.
And every little drop of that is well-deserved.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

As a craps dealing professional, I am sick that the tools of my occupation were used in a Ramirez cartoon. However, he did get the dice right. You would not believe how often people gently caress up something as commonplace as dice. I must give him credit for that.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type

quote:

Now I'm just waiting for virtual reality fireside chats.

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben
Of course he dutifully draws his furher's hands large.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

"Nobody who's smart and well-informed enough on any topic to teach it at a post-high-school level seems to agree with me on anything. I wonder why that is? Must be because I'm a persecuted minority."

This is clearly an extremely important topic to Tinsley and I hadn't really thought about how clearly based in insecurity it is

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Jonas Albrecht posted:

You know, I have a feeling you're right about this. I feel like the "we've got no vetting" narrative goes unopposed, but I'm not sure what's giving me that idea.

EDIT: Let me expand a bit on this. This could be my personal bubble, but even my Democrat voting coworkers seem to think we don't do any real vetting. I see Trump and his thralls bring it up all the time, and get very little pushback for it, if any. It has given me a sense that the "no vetting" narrative is winning, despite being objectively false.

Yeah the average person out there thinks there's like zero to little vetting of refugees. It's not entirely the fault of Democrat politicians, as I feel the media has completely failed to inform people of what the actual process is. I mean there are people who still think their hero governors can entirely refuse the entry of refugees into their state and beyond one John Oliver bit, I yet to see media outlets challenging the "no vetting" narrative with a "Alright, this is actually how it is" response.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Red Panels desperately hoping people forget that he supports ISIS.

Just a reminder that Red Panels literally supports beheadings for women for having an opinion.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

OldTennisCourt posted:

Just a reminder that Red Panels literally supports beheadings for women for having an opinion.

That would be a pretty good comic handy to throw at people. Got a link? Not sure which one you're referring to.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

OldTennisCourt posted:

I think that's more "... So they're not all bad, then" based on ISIS probably wanting to behead Elizabeth Warren than it is actual support.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type

Harvey Mantaco posted:

That would be a pretty good comic handy to throw at people. Got a link? Not sure which one you're referring to.

It's not in simple throwable comic form. It's the comment he added to his yesterday's comic:

quote:

On the bright side, feminists in line for beheading.

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)

Trogdos! posted:

the last time this was posted...

This dull witted fella says here that he agrees with terrorists who would behead women, which is the only way I can see to interpret this.

dougdrums fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Feb 9, 2017

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Plan Z posted:

Yeah the average person out there thinks there's like zero to little vetting of refugees. It's not entirely the fault of Democrat politicians, as I feel the media has completely failed to inform people of what the actual process is. I mean there are people who still think their hero governors can entirely refuse the entry of refugees into their state and beyond one John Oliver bit, I yet to see media outlets challenging the "no vetting" narrative with a "Alright, this is actually how it is" response.

I think Democrat politicians try not to patronize people by explaining the bloody obvious, that refugees are vetted. Problem is, most people are so ignorant that they do need this explained.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Democrats have acted as if government was full of rational actors working for the betterment of the country as opposed to troglodytes making naked power grabs. They seem to be waking up to the fact that the GOP actually is a bigoted bastion of self-interest, but we'll see if they can commit to years of actual opposition.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
There's been a LOT of really bad comics here, but I can't think of any that reach that particular Red Panels. I mean, he pretty much states he supports the tactics if not the motives of ISIS.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I think the worst is the one where he outright says that concentration camps are justified by the nazi punching.

Capt. Sticl
Jul 24, 2002

In Zion I was meant to be
'Doze the homes
Block the sea
With this great ship at my command
I'll plunder all the Promised Land!

Really missed an opportunity to shape that stone as a toilet seat.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

BarbarianElephant posted:

I think Democrat politicians try not to patronize people by explaining the bloody obvious, that refugees are vetted. Problem is, most people are so ignorant that they do need this explained.

No one ever went broke (or lost reelection) underestimating the intelligence of the public.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

As a craps dealing professional, I am sick that the tools of my occupation were used in a Ramirez cartoon. However, he did get the dice right. You would not believe how often people gently caress up something as commonplace as dice. I must give him credit for that.

"Dice are random, right? So the arrangement of pips must be random too, cool I don't need a reference." - a bad artist

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

The problem with using "they are vetted" as a main argument is that you're implicitly conceding the idea that the issue is really about vetting. You could give every immigrant sodium pentathol and put them on the rack and the conservative argument would still be that we aren't vetting hard enough. Because they don't actually care about vetting, they want a ban on immigration and will use anything as an excuse. Anything you do short of a ban will just be met with "it's not good enough", so the best strategy is to skip around that whole line of distraction and just strike at the heart of the matter, which is that immigration is a net good and we're America, dammit, Statue of Liberty, melting pot and all the rest.

It's like torture. You can argue that torture doesn't work, and it's true, but relying on that as your main argument is conceding the idea that efficacy is the primary problem with it (and not that, you know, it's barbaric). It's best used as a supporting point, because it's not really what the argument is or should be about.

Lord Hydronium fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Feb 9, 2017

ACRE & EQUAT
Aug 28, 2004

FUNERAL BREADS
WAR BREAD

Ambitious Spider posted:

saw this on my local antifa twitter

Feel like it needs a "feels good man" somewhere in there

any last words gopcha the clown?

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Tbf, Ramirez is a professional crap dealer.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Betsy DeVos represents the kind of educational philosophy that would respond to a student receiving a bad grade with public humiliation and disciplinary action. AGC

quote:

"Tom Brady" "Fast" :lol:

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
That's the lamest Lester ever. What an eyerollingly childish attempt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

OldTennisCourt posted:

That's the lamest Lester ever. What an eyerollingly childish attempt.

Yeah the only people who home school are religious nutsos

• Locked thread