Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Zombina says "si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes!"

S.J. posted:

No one is being punished for following the rules, though. Like, literally. Griffons still kill heavies or fly over your army and kill casters.

Yea, the defensive aspect of the feat was super over the top. I always felt like it was supposed to be an offensive, assassination enabling feat, but instead it because one of the most ridiculous offensive feats + time warps in the game.

I don't see the long leash change really changing the gameplay up much, it will just make players have to pay attention more and be less lazy. I rarely saw myself throwing scarsfells that far out, but I see it definitely changing some Tanith play.

All this does is remind me of a local tournament player, Jason Watt, who just posted in our FB group looking to purchase galvanizers. He's proxied a list of 19 with Axis in theme, and it's dumb.

Paul Proteus fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Feb 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

susan posted:

Sorry, wasn't clear. What I meant was, if X is clearly better than Y, players should not be punished for bringing X, and if 15 X are better than any combination of 15 W, Y, Z, etc, than players shouldn't be punished for bringing 15 X. In fact they should be expected to bring 15 X in that circumstance, since we're trying to win here and it's allowed within the rules. Now, all of a sudden, 15 X isn't what it used to be, and it happened unexpectedly after players spent considerable time and money collecting 15 X while having good faith that 15 X would be great for another 4-5 months.

It's a healthy change. But I sympathize with those that got hurt.

In a lot of situations I would agree and have said so in the past, but this nerf doesn't intrinsically invalidate any of the lists that people were bringing. I really do think they're being crybabies. Obviously not everyone is being a shitheel about it though.

If anyone should be upset about this it should be the Kaya 3 players who wanted to use the griffons for long-range buffing.

S.J. fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Feb 8, 2017

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Una having to actually leave her deployment zone to win is a nice change

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

If playing 15 X is clearly and apparently better than playing 15 of a combination of X, Y, and Z, you have a legit and understandable basis for purchasing 15 X. However, given PP's stated aim goals and design directions, it is also clear and apparent at this point that you are likely to get hosed on your decision to play 15 X instead of diversifying your model pool. It then becomes an individual prerogative if they want to blow the money to be "competitive" for X months. If you want to keep playing it in casual play it will likely be ok, but as long as PP is paying consideration to the tournament scheme, anything glaringly superior to other choices is going to get brought down. Stick with 2-3 of things, maybe 4+ when it comes to lessers, if you want to avoid it.

counterspin
Apr 2, 2010

This is a bad cycle though.

Company makes something dumbly overpowered -> people buy models that you would only really use in that one situation -> rules get changed

Una was self-evidently dumb from day 1. Fixing things faster is great, but there still needs to be some major changes in the balance team.

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

Haha, yes. These nerfs are great. Totally good for the game and I support them all.

*quietly pushes High Reclaimer off of the painting table*

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

High Reclaimer is still good, you can just whack a unit of Knights Exemplar on Turn 1 or whatever and pop them out later when you need em

When was the last time Circle got a bad warlock, or even just a less-than-great one? I honestly can't remember how long it's been

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

counterspin posted:

This is a bad cycle though.

Company makes something dumbly overpowered -> people buy models that you would only really use in that one situation -> rules get changed

Una was self-evidently dumb from day 1. Fixing things faster is great, but there still needs to be some major changes in the balance team.

Yes, if only they would introduce some way of getting feedback and playtesting from the community before releasing new models. They could head off a lot of these issues before it becomes a tournament winning problem just by integrating the community into the development. Oh wait!

quote:

Beginning March 1, 2017, we will launch the first public field test as part of our new Community Integrated Development initiative, beginning with the new HORDES Faction slated to release in July. From then on, we will be conducting public field tests of all new model rules for all future releases. Each field test will last approximately four to six weeks, depending on the volume of content to be tested, and each cycle will occur around three to four months prior to the release of the models.

quote:

Our goals with this initiative are to make sure all released models have undergone a vastly more robust cycle of playtesting and vetting and that the fidelity of the rules will meet the exacting standards of our community. In short, we hope to do away with errata. But we also know that evolution is a cornerstone of our ethos, and as new content is introduced into the meta, as a community we will make new discoveries that lead to new changes, and that also requires a fundamental shift in how we produce and deliver products.

http://privateerpress.com/community/privateer-insider/insider-12-21-2016

susan
Jan 14, 2013

Pyrolocutus posted:

If playing 15 X is clearly and apparently better than playing 15 of a combination of X, Y, and Z, you have a legit and understandable basis for purchasing 15 X. However, given PP's stated aim goals and design directions, it is also clear and apparent at this point that you are likely to get hosed on your decision to play 15 X instead of diversifying your model pool. It then becomes an individual prerogative if they want to blow the money to be "competitive" for X months. If you want to keep playing it in casual play it will likely be ok, but as long as PP is paying consideration to the tournament scheme, anything glaringly superior to other choices is going to get brought down. Stick with 2-3 of things, maybe 4+ when it comes to lessers, if you want to avoid it.

I do think (correct me if I'm wrong) that this is the fastest errata cycle we've encountered before. Less than a month after the major January errata, with no warning this was coming down the pipe. People were braced and expecting changes in January, but then believed they were in the clear until July.

While I dig the changes themselves, I may hate the current speed of the cycle. Like, I have a major local tournament on March 20th, and I was planning on bringing a skew list to it and starting to practice it this week. Will the list be either illegal or wildly less effective by then? What's the value of practice if your lists or the lists you're teching against may be void in less than a month?

counterspin
Apr 2, 2010

Yes that's good but it would be better to fix the issue closer to the top. They shouldn't need the community to tell them that something like Una2 is broken. They need the community to work through all the weird scenarios a small group of players could never work through, not to do rudimentary design and power judgement.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
Ok I'm confused by War Room yet again. They've changed the implementation of the Theme Forces so it no longer automatically makes solos free when possible (so in the Guardians of the Temple theme, it doesn't automatically drop Nicia to 0 pts when you qualify), it just appends them with 'can be free'.

How do I tell it that yes, I want to make that thing free? Because otherwise the list shows as being over points and while I'm sure most people can (literally) do the math, it would be better if there was a way to get the list showing up as legal.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Touch the can be free text that says to touch it

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

evenworse username posted:

Ok I'm confused by War Room yet again. They've changed the implementation of the Theme Forces so it no longer automatically makes solos free when possible (so in the Guardians of the Temple theme, it doesn't automatically drop Nicia to 0 pts when you qualify), it just appends them with 'can be free'.

How do I tell it that yes, I want to make that thing free? Because otherwise the list shows as being over points and while I'm sure most people can (literally) do the math, it would be better if there was a way to get the list showing up as legal.

Click the banner at the top of your list mentioning free stuff. This then lets you pick which solos are free.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

CaptCommy posted:

Click the banner at the top of your list mentioning free stuff. This then lets you pick which solos are free.

Hmmm yes, the 'Select Free Stuff' banner. Thank you!

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
So apparently for the OTC i have to flock my bases which I really, really hate doing. Anyone have any tricks for removing it later down the road?

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
The secret plan to stop spam is to make errata so free flowing and good that it creates a fear of buying a bunch of repeat models that could have their (overpowered) value removed at any time.

The downside to this is that rich folks who are fine with eating the cost of 10 mad dogs or 7 griffons or whatever have an advantage in this sort of meta.

420 play balanced lists erryday, dont buy more than 2 of anything, get gud

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

They should just scale fa with points

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

PaintVagrant posted:

dont buy more than 2 of anything, get gud

Uhhhh crap

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

They should just scale fa with points

That's what I have been advocating forever, but I get shrugs/shouted down every time. Except this time, new best friend. *hugs*

counterspin
Apr 2, 2010

Something needs to be done with FA, and I certainly think scaling is one option.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

PaintVagrant posted:

That's what I have been advocating forever, but I get shrugs/shouted down every time. Except this time, new best friend. *hugs*

Have FA = the number past which point scaling kicks in.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
I'm just glad that my three fully painted and based War Hogs can only get better.

Just as in life, aim low with little to no expectations and then either be surprised when it works out or smugly superior when it doesn't.

We're all just worm poo poo in the end.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Excelsiortothemax posted:

I'm just glad that my three fully painted and based War Hogs can only get better.

Just as in life, aim low with little to no expectations and then either be surprised when it works out or smugly superior when it doesn't.

We're all just worm poo poo in the end.

Same but with Kossite Woodsmen, Tharn Wolf Riders, and Deliverers.

Actually kossites are really good so I guess I'm only 2/3

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Why did they make wolf riders worse

Why

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
I think they'd be pretty good in any faction other than circle

Actually most of circle's units would be good in any faction other than circle

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Yeah basically.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

That's just so it's easier to identify all the stupid broken stuff in circle that always gets played at tournaments

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

The control caster and the latest caster, which is over powered.
And then a bunch of over priced Garbo almost draging them down in line

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
I never play power lists or whatever, just personal choice, got nothing against them just not my thing. And I haven't bought a PP model in about 8 months so I'm not just riding FOTM to victory.

But they've really got to get their poo poo together because having to errata something that everyone saw as an option within like 6 hours of the theme lists getting released is some bush league poo poo.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Why did they make wolf riders worse

Why

wait how?

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Bought a gun carriage to give to karchev. Now that that's fixed, I'm thinking of running winter guard theme with sorscha2. Desperate pace to get wgi into murderfuck feat turn range, a gun carriage to provide support and rough terrain, and widows for rfp. Fog of war helps keep winter guard alive too.

Irusk2 FFE should be ok too. Or vlad1 but he makes everything good.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

14 defense and the basically never relevant for a unit like them rule annoyance instead of 15 defense means they are much easier to shoot to death. They also shifted to more of a melee focus in general, putting them at more risk. Their offensive capabilities don't seem to have an intended target, they don't hit very hard and they are only accurate on their one charge attack.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
So, thorn gun mages. How would you use them in a mercs list?

Right now I have damiano, shae, gorten, ossrum, magnus1, and intending to get magnus2 and caine3.

Don't have cygnar, but I do have protectorate. Not sure how they'd help much there though.

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Feb 9, 2017

lovestick
Feb 11, 2006

~30303030303~

I was interested in trying out a Hordes faction and like the look of Circle the best right now. I have a couple of options to start out with and would like some suggestions. My options are as follows:

1.) Mk 3 starter box
2.) 2017 Army in a Box
3.) Mk 2 starter box from discount bin
4.) Screw Circle, play ______ instead.

If you have any suggestions where to start and what to pick up next I would greatly appreciate it!

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

lovestick posted:

I was interested in trying out a Hordes faction and like the look of Circle the best right now. I have a couple of options to start out with and would like some suggestions. My options are as follows:

1.) Mk 3 starter box
2.) 2017 Army in a Box
3.) Mk 2 starter box from discount bin
4.) Screw Circle, play ______ instead.

If you have any suggestions where to start and what to pick up next I would greatly appreciate it!

Any of the above except 3. It's a good caster with an okay list, but it's basically a pile of beasts that you may or may not use in other lists. You'd do well with a Mk2 or Mk3 starter (you'd do even better with both!).

For screw Circle option: Trolls are cool and good and fun for people who like cool, good, fun things and are also awesome.

Skorne is cool and good and fun for people who hate other people and like cool and good and fun things that will make other people hate you.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Why do you like circle? I was attracted to them because of the modular nature of their choose abilities, making them adaptable. In practice all circle lists skew really hard at one thing, typically something to secure the alpha, and fall apart when someone actually grabs a hold of you. If you enjoy hit and run tactics, and the razor's edge of glass cannons stick with it.

I'm pretty sure both army in a box are good? mk3 battlebox is good mk2 is not

Nighttheii
Nov 21, 2007
hi

chutche2 posted:

Right now I have damiano, shae, gorten, ossrum, magnus1, and intending to get magnus2 and caine3.

Don't have cygnar, but I do have protectorate. Not sure how they'd help much there though.

I've been excited to use thorn gun mages in protectorate for a while. The utility of black penny and thunderbolt on some high rat guns is nice.

I feel that Feora2 and HoJ could both use the high rat fire shots. Then Malekus' feat gives them additional damage. 3 rat 7, pow 14+3d6 guns for 9 points seems good, they could follow a Reckoner Eye of Truth and take down a heavy.

I know there's no shortage of fire in menoth, but Thorn seem like they could get fire onto some key targets for cheaper than a heavy, and more reliably than the Sunburst, Repenter, or other infantry models.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Guys I know nobody in this thread (or the world) currently gives a poo poo about Convergence, but I made this list to force myself to try the Prime Conflux and it turns out it's sexy and good and keeps winning.

Convergence Army - 75 / 75 points
Theme: Destruction Initiative

(Directrix 1) Iron Mother Directrix [+27]
- Exponent Servitors
- Corollary [6]
- Prime Conflux [37]
- Monitor [16]
- Monitor [16]
Optifex Directive [4]
Optifex Directive [4]
Transfinite Emergence Projector [19]
- Permutation Servitors
Attunement Servitors [0]
Attunement Servitors [0]
Elimination Servitors [0]
Elimination Servitors [0]
Armory (Steamroller) [0]

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

chutche2 posted:

My current thoughts for Thorn gun mages (I plan to get 2 units) are a fun fluffy Ashlynn list full of every Llaelese model I can get to synergize with Gibbs. My thought on a better option is Gorton. Gorton has that spell that protects everyone from blast damage, which their def 14 arm 11 will love, and he has rock wall. I figure with the anti blast damage spell and a wall to bring them to def 18 they will actually be difficult to remove and should be able to get into a good fire area of the board.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

I imagine they're like una1 in unjamming spot removal mostly.