Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
you can save worrying about doing 35 damage for lw2 advent generals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

UberJew posted:

you can save worrying about doing 35 damage for lw2 advent generals
gently caress there's going to be one at this Liberation mission site isn't there. :(

Relatedly: It looks like there's a system in place for trying to do more guerrilla-style actions, ie, Advent's strength just shot up in the area that I was trying to liberate, so in theory I should put the Haven into hiding and go move one area over to draw strength away before going for it, right? Does that actually play out in practice? I've got access to about 5 areas, all strength 1/2, except for my first area which went from 3 to 5 without any supply raids whatsoever (which I thought was your mechanism for controlling ADVENT's movements). Launch the liberation, play elsewhere, what?

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Supply raids and troop columns, yeah. But there's no guarantee that you'll detect the mission.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Ravenfood posted:

gently caress there's going to be one at this Liberation mission site isn't there. :(

Relatedly: It looks like there's a system in place for trying to do more guerrilla-style actions, ie, Advent's strength just shot up in the area that I was trying to liberate, so in theory I should put the Haven into hiding and go move one area over to draw strength away before going for it, right? Does that actually play out in practice? I've got access to about 5 areas, all strength 1/2, except for my first area which went from 3 to 5 without any supply raids whatsoever (which I thought was your mechanism for controlling ADVENT's movements). Launch the liberation, play elsewhere, what?

A poster IN THIS VERY THREAD added a mod haven mission called Guerilla to reliably get missions that can reduce advent strength, but barring something like that global advent strength will rise significantly faster than you can possibly combat it, and undertaking missions in regions with 7+ strength rapidly becomes implausible (you start being able to get back-to-back reinforcement turns, and reinforcements coming in as soon as the turn after you've revealed)

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

UberJew posted:

A poster IN THIS VERY THREAD added a mod haven mission called Guerilla to reliably get missions that can reduce advent strength, but barring something like that global advent strength will rise significantly faster than you can possibly combat it, and undertaking missions in regions with 7+ strength rapidly becomes implausible (you start being able to get back-to-back reinforcement turns, and reinforcements coming in as soon as the turn after you've revealed)
Cool, I'll look for it. I'd wanted to liberate the region ASAP but if I need to wait a bit to lower it beyond 5 I think I might try. In the time that I've been infiltrating the base it went up 2 with another intercepted Supply raid, so that's only slightly frustrating. I'm sure I'm in for some kind of massive bullshit but I guess I'll see what I've got.

Death from Above snipers with the best stocks I can get are basically my crutch. Can't wait to see how that gets kicked out from under me.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I'll post my Long War modification ini's tonight, probably. I think the changes help a great deal in reducing the grind, but the larger game is something I can't really modify to the degree I'd want. I can't make the mod less horseshit :negative:

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Early game strength level five is relatively easy with ballistics and maybe a few suits of predator armor. You might see a couple of squad sight snakes, mutons and probably a shieldbearer with the general, but you've got the numbers to deal with that sort of poo poo. Just make sure you go for full infiltration, which should be somewhere around twenty days and pack ap ammo on your shooters plus flashbangs for everyone.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
I've killed the Viper King each first time I've encountered him, three times now. You just have to have Gunners or Rangers with lasers. Technicals with their flamethrowers can shut him the gently caress down hard, too, and you really want to flashbang him the entire fight.

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Rangers and Grenadier feel like the backbone of your forces in LW. Everything else adds tactical flexibility and options but nothing excels at murder quite like those 2 and there's nothing more tactically flexible then your enemies being dead.

The game feel alot easier since I went nuts with training almost all my rookies in those 2 classes. I add or remove other classes depending on the mission and what I think I'll need but those 2 are fundamentally reliable in a way most classes arent.

SickZip fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Feb 8, 2017

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

I'm playing Vanilla.

My main squad is 3 gren, 1 spec/ranger/sniper, and some of the originals have hit max rank.

I finally bothered unlocking psionics. Should I replace my lowest ranking grenadier with a psi trooper?

Oh Adaira
May 7, 2008

Casual Tabby

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Tsurupettan posted:

I'm playing Vanilla.

My main squad is 3 gren, 1 spec/ranger/sniper, and some of the originals have hit max rank.

I finally bothered unlocking psionics. Should I replace my lowest ranking grenadier with a psi trooper?

Psionics are broke af, so yeah. Admittedly, they are third in line behind rangers and grenadiers so.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

You will need psionics for the last mission (ok need is a strong word, they make it A LOT easier though)

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
The last mission isn't too bad with an all-Psi team with tier one equipment.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

SpookyLizard posted:

Psionics are broke af, so yeah. Admittedly, they are third in line behind rangers and grenadiers so.

Psi also takes really really long time to train in LW2 though. You need a full month of training for each rank a lot of time (or maybe I just always roll higher level skill?)

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I have a dumb technical question :v:

What happens if you add or remove people from the character pool in the middle of a campaign? Do characters you added in get pushed to the front of the queue if you have it set to "pool only"?

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Thanks again for advice.

Also I just did a mission with some advent perched on a piece of very high raised highway and I was extremely disappointed by the fact I couldn't blow the highway up under their feet and cause them to plummet to their deaths.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Tsurupettan posted:

Thanks again for advice.

Also I just did a mission with some advent perched on a piece of very high raised highway and I was extremely disappointed by the fact I couldn't blow the highway up under their feet and cause them to plummet to their deaths.

Yeah those highways are impervious to damage :(

YoungSexualNorton
Aug 8, 2004
These are good for the children's brains.

Apoplexy posted:

I've killed the Viper King each first time I've encountered him, three times now. You just have to have Gunners or Rangers with lasers. Technicals with their flamethrowers can shut him the gently caress down hard, too, and you really want to flashbang him the entire fight.

I'm pretty sure you're not doing that on LW2 commander unless he's for some reason patrolling around alone. Every encounter I've had has been him and 2 other snakes with at least one other pod of 5-8 whatevers within sight that alerts immediately. I could conceivably pump that much damage into him, but only if I ignored the other 8 or 10 units that would massacre my squad on the next turn. This is at the point that rocketeers and engineers abound, so even a single standing non-suppressed/disoriented advent soldier can wreck half my squad.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

MF_James posted:

Superior ADVENT civil engineering :eng101:

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

SickZip posted:

Rangers and Grenadier feel like the backbone of your forces in LW. Everything else adds tactical flexibility and options but nothing excels at murder quite like those 2 and there's nothing more tactically flexible then your enemies being dead.

The game feel alot easier since I went nuts with training almost all my rookies in those 2 classes. I add or remove other classes depending on the mission and what I think I'll need but those 2 are fundamentally reliable in a way most classes arent.
Weird. Until I switched to flashbang-only grenadiers, I found them completely unreliable. Occasionally fantastic, but unreliable. Rangers similarly just don't have that power or accuracy, whereas my snipers are basically upset if they don't kill an alien every turn.

E:. Dark events plus upgrading troop classes are a bit too much, LW. Keep your dark events or your "advanced" versions of basic classes but doing both just means that you're going to get drowned eventually in some middle-game bullshit that totally puts paid to the lie that you can recover from a loss because if you haven't played perfectly the entire early game you'll be too far behind to ever catch up.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Feb 8, 2017

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

pedro0930 posted:

Psi also takes really really long time to train in LW2 though. You need a full month of training for each rank a lot of time (or maybe I just always roll higher level skill?)

Training can take as little as 3 days- you are just getting unlucky and rolling 3 higher-level skills. I have one Psi who keeps rolling 3-day skills- they don't have much of the cool stuff yet, but they've blasted through half the tree so far.

I write JS for a living and this made me crack up at work.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

deadly_pudding posted:

Superior ADVENT civil engineering :eng101:

The bridges are made from Alloys.

Fortunately, XCOM has been training for just such an eventuality.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

MF_James posted:

Is there a mod for that? :haw:

YoungSexualNorton
Aug 8, 2004
These are good for the children's brains.

Ravenfood posted:

Weird. Until I switched to flashbang-only grenadiers, I found them completely unreliable. Occasionally fantastic, but unreliable. Rangers similarly just don't have that power or accuracy, whereas my snipers are basically upset if they don't kill an alien every turn.

E:. Dark events plus upgrading troop classes are a bit too much, LW. Keep your dark events or your "advanced" versions of basic classes but doing both just means that you're going to get drowned eventually in some middle-game bullshit that totally puts paid to the lie that you can recover from a loss because if you haven't played perfectly the entire early game you'll be too far behind to ever catch up.

Grenadier damage falls off drastically later on, but for me they're huge in the early game while I skip over laser weapons and go straight to magnetic. Once they don't have a hope of insta-killing anything, they turn into supports. I'm actually getting a lot more utility out of pathing them for support. Being able to launch smoke and flash or two flashes in one round is huge.

I'd echo that death from above snipers with stocks are killing machines, but rangers are definitely a great round-after-round sustained damage dealer/frontline. Being able to take a shot and then take another primary action is extremely versatile.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

SickZip posted:

For me it's Rangers and Assaults, I can pretty much tell how successful a mission is going to be by counting how many Assaults I have to shotgun away my worries

hahah

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
So, uh, Long War 2 PsiOps: I trained my first initiate, but I can't stick her back in the tank, only train new rookies. Does she have to earn experience in the field and spend time in the tank now? Do I need to do more autopsies to unlock more psi powers like LW1? Or am I just missing something very obvious?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Ravenfood posted:

So, uh, Long War 2 PsiOps: I trained my first initiate, but I can't stick her back in the tank, only train new rookies. Does she have to earn experience in the field and spend time in the tank now? Do I need to do more autopsies to unlock more psi powers like LW1? Or am I just missing something very obvious?

You need to earn EXP and tank em yeah.

Also they can only learn so many skills so make sure you don't pick any bad ones to clear the list. Once they're promoted to max rank and learned that skill they're done.

No powers are gated, its the same RNG factor it was in vanilla.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
So I haven't played in a while. One of the game given (not from the pool) guys I started with has some unique torso gear, like the bloody Xcom armor or a sweater thing. I can't find that for any of my pool soldiers, what's up?

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Kingtheninja posted:

So I haven't played in a while. One of the game given (not from the pool) guys I started with has some unique torso gear, like the bloody Xcom armor or a sweater thing. I can't find that for any of my pool soldiers, what's up?

Do you have DLC? You can change the basic kevlar over to resistance armor and theres some regular clothes in there. Also a Bradford sweater.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

Zore posted:

Also they can only learn so many skills so make sure you don't pick any bad ones to clear the list. Once they're promoted to max rank and learned that skill they're done.

Oh. I really regret grabbing that "Soulfire heals for half of damage dealt" ability now.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

TK-42-1 posted:

Do you have DLC? You can change the basic kevlar over to resistance armor and theres some regular clothes in there. Also a Bradford sweater.

I'll have to look again, I didn't see the option before, just the anarchy packs.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Since we have some new people signing on, just a reminder that you can download a pool full o' goons right here:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B4vbWbHpBrhqTFNsLTJGcmpVR2c

If you want your own goonsona in the pool, just e-mail me an export bin with your character in it at my username @gmail.com and I'll get it in there. (I am happy to make a character for you, too, if you don't enjoy fiddling with the editor or don't want to worry about the export/import mechanics.)

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Zore posted:

You need to earn EXP and tank em yeah.

No powers are gated, its the same RNG factor it was in vanilla.
Well, alright then, thanks! Now, am I really stuck with one loving tank? At least in vanilla I could upgrade the fucker to have two soldiers at once. Which is a bit nuts if I'm looking at a month long time in it each time I want to level up, jesus.

e: vvvvv Yeah, no kidding.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Feb 9, 2017

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Where are the GTS training times located? Cause gently caress the training times for stuff.

edit: like seriously I've looked through a heap of inis and can't find it.

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Feb 9, 2017

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Ravenfood posted:

Well, alright then, thanks! Now, am I really stuck with one loving tank? At least in vanilla I could upgrade the fucker to have two soldiers at once. Which is a bit nuts if I'm looking at a month long time in it each time I want to level up, jesus.

I forgot to mention they added 3 incredibly lovely powers that clog up the list, have your natural psionic power cap around 94 (which gives you a 35% chance to hit loving Mutons with some powers and has your powers hit about as hard as a laser rifle/frag grenade (soulfire/void rift)) and locked the Psi-Amp upgrades behind Gatekeeper and Tier 3 Avatar corpses so you aren't getting that poo poo forever.

Psionics are absolutely not worth it at all in LW2, especially looking forward to 1.2 where they're buffing a bunch of enemy will stats.

Also they are literally nerfing the Amp bonus from +15/+30 to +10/+20 in 1.2 which is laffo.

Zore fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Feb 9, 2017

Exposure
Apr 4, 2014

Ravenfood posted:

You need Elerium research for the second tank.

Meanwhile, I think I can safely chalk up my first campaign as "lost", due to a surprise facility proc'd in New Mexico alongside the East Africa one, and then the Western European facility finished the job after I just finally alleviated myself from a game over via taking out the facility in New Brazil.

The worst part is that the Western European one, I thought I finally had some chance of taking it out after giving myself some breathing room, since it was the first result I gotten from the facility lead tech while I was still stuck in New Australia.

But no, it ended up being my campaign's doom because it was just the slow, steady, worker I couldn't do anything about because it spawned on what was basically the opposite side of the world from me, and couldn't do anything to

Why the gently caress did Pavonis keep facility leads being RNG-dependent in LW2?

POLICE CAR AUCTION
Dec 1, 2003

I'm not a princess

I remember an awesome gif of a civilian with hatsune miku hair morphing into a faceless like a couple months after launch, anyone have it handy? tia

Dexanth
Dec 4, 2003

The last thing an ice cream cone ever sees
For the most part I've been enjoying LW2.

Except when maps spawn that require 8 turns of double moving just to get to the evac point. Like, more map variety is great, but the ridiculous variance in some of the Jailbreak missions in terms of map size is ludicrous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Vanilla: Wait a minute, can psi ops train EVERY ability/passive? I thought I was done when I hit Magus but I can keep training? Is there any kind of limitation beyond time investment?