Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I want to watch that PBS show Jay was in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
poo poo, did I miss another Max Landis dogpile? Because Max Landis loving sucks.

Fucked-Up Little Dog
Aug 26, 2008

Posting live from the nightmare future of Web 3.0

Scratchmo
I enjoyed the Max Landis episode :colbert:

Also he is above Josh in the power rankings.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

There are good Josh episodes though.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
if mike deems Max ok, then i do so also

i stand with mike

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
The worst thing about Josh is that you guys just won't shut up about him every time he's on an episode.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Aphex- posted:

The worst thing about Josh is that Josh just won't shut up every time he's in an episode.

Fixed

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

... you're just creepy ...

Nah he was right the first time

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Max Landis overeggs the pudding a bit but he is generally ok. I don't mind him too much in the Double Down BotW.

The worst part isn't when he's egging Rich on though, they're all doing that. The worst part is when he tries some diabetes inducing "Oh I only got through this with the help of *my friends*" at the end of the episode.

Josh is also fine. Not great, but fine.

A Tasteful Nude
Jun 3, 2013

A cool anime hagrid pic (imagine nude pls)

Baronjutter posted:

Apparently Max Landis is really into the SCP Foundation. I wonder which ones he's written.

\/ Holy poo poo, mods knew?!

I'm pretty sure he wrote one where ghost tupac helps solves crimes via hints he leaves in mysterious self aware new tracks that appear on a magic tupac CD

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Len Kabesinski was the best guest because he beat everyone up

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

MikeCrotch posted:

Max Landis overeggs the pudding a bit but he is generally ok. I don't mind him too much in the Double Down BotW.

The worst part isn't when he's egging Rich on though, they're all doing that. The worst part is when he tries some diabetes inducing "Oh I only got through this with the help of *my friends*" at the end of the episode.

Josh is also fine. Not great, but fine.

Thanks a lot now I want some eggs

I Am A Robot
Jul 1, 2006

Arcsquad12 posted:

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Watching the pre rec from yesterday with jay: Jay has never heard of Wizard People, Dear Reader, and jack believes that brad neely did it for the first two movies for some reason. Well poo poo i need to know if he tracks it down and likes it.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

Gotta watch that one again now. Kabagynsky is a funny and cool person and owns his B movie-ness.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
I can't be the only person amazed at how many lovely movies there are out there. Is there an un-ironic market for Asylum films and poo poo?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Arcsquad12 posted:

he was the best guest because unlike RLM who takes forever to try to make a good movie but they just make bad movies, len doesn't give a gently caress and he cranks out bad movies because he likes them. none of this college boy bullshit

naem
May 29, 2011

Even low budget bad movies can sometimes be really profitable. Accidentally make an underground classic for zero dollars and earn a couple million and get invited to nerd gatherings for years

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

Len kabesinski looked uncomfortable the entire discussion

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

lovely low budget movies only need lovely earnings to turn a profit. Or the whole thing's a scam or tax dodge or something.
You spend 4 million on a lovely horror movie, it's garbage and makes 2 million.
You spend 3 million on a made for TV family feel good drama, it makes 5 million.
You spend 6 million on a low budget talking animal movie, it makes 6 million.

As long as you are overall turning a profit, just throw poo poo at the wall and see what sticks. And maybe one day that 5 million dollar horror movie you put together becomes a runaway cult classic and you make like 100 million.

Or film in Canada and be pretty much paid by the government to produce garbage at a loss to both you and the province in order to keep some crew and vfx guys employed and say you're creating jobs and growing the economy until the next province over offers a slightly better deal so you move there instead. Race to the bottom!

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

TheBigAristotle posted:

I can't be the only person amazed at how many lovely movies there are out there. Is there an un-ironic market for Asylum films and poo poo?

I think the way Mike explained it was perfect, Asylum movies are made just to trick mom or dad into buying it for their kids thinking that "Transmorphers" is the same movie as "Transformers".

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

DO IT TO IT posted:

he seems both an awkward person in general, the kind of person who would be really motivated to crank out lovely movies as part of his artistic vision, and also just not as on board with making fun of other people's sincere efforts. he did try to force the rlm guys to say nice things about the films they watched

i bet he teaches karate to low income kids in parks, for free, because he's a nice guy who loves karate

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

DO IT TO IT posted:

He's just a reserved kind of dude. He clearly likes them, since he did that whole "destroy the How to be a Teenage Ninja" tape skit.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Baronjutter posted:

lovely low budget movies only need lovely earnings to turn a profit. Or the whole thing's a scam or tax dodge or something.
You spend 4 million on a lovely horror movie, it's garbage and makes 2 million.
You spend 3 million on a made for TV family feel good drama, it makes 5 million.
You spend 6 million on a low budget talking animal movie, it makes 6 million.

As long as you are overall turning a profit, just throw poo poo at the wall and see what sticks. And maybe one day that 5 million dollar horror movie you put together becomes a runaway cult classic and you make like 100 million.

Or film in Canada and be pretty much paid by the government to produce garbage at a loss to both you and the province in order to keep some crew and vfx guys employed and say you're creating jobs and growing the economy until the next province over offers a slightly better deal so you move there instead. Race to the bottom!

How can I as a non-Canadian get in on the ground floor of this?

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.

WampaLord posted:

He's just a reserved kind of dude. He clearly likes them, since he did that whole "destroy the How to be a Teenage Ninja" tape skit.

he also tweeted out in favor of space cop, which is a saintly gesture

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.
just rewatched a bit of the Double Down ep

Max Landis is suitably funny, clearly understands the RLM style of humor, and fits in well with the guys

in other words he's the exact opposite of josh

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
When you enter a new tax bracket all of your taxable income is not in that bracket.

Why the gently caress is everyone so ignorant of taxes? Anyway that movie received huge tax breaks possibly to the point that the government paid them to make that movie, but it had nothing to do with what dumbass jack said.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

When Rich looks at the back of the box for Double Down for help and Max says "Why are you looking? There is no help for you there. There is no God for you, Rich Evans!" I loving lost my poo poo. That's a perfect RLM style joke.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

You're confusing two tax schemes here. A movie that loses a ton of money offsets the taxes that a studio would have to pay on movies that make money (this is the first tax scheme). This was a lot easier to do in the 80s, before some of the loopholes were closed. Basically you'd have a bunch of dentists or other guys with a lot of taxable income who would make a movie that is paid for mostly through tax credits from Germany or Canada (which is the second tax scheme), and that movie would lose a ton of "money" for its investors, who could then subtract the amount they "invested" into the movie from their real incomes when it came time to pay their income tax.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

King Vidiot posted:

How can I as a non-Canadian get in on the ground floor of this?

there are plenty of places in the us that do it too. after LA and NYC, atlanta is the third biggest film locale in the us because of generous tax subsidies by the state of georgia, who is trying to build a film/tv production industry

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

boner confessor posted:

there are plenty of places in the us that do it too. after LA and NYC, atlanta is the third biggest film locale in the us because of generous tax subsidies by the state of georgia, who is trying to build a film/tv production industry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srcahTfI3Rs

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

boner confessor posted:

Michigan tried to do that too IIRC, but I think the current state govt. put the kibosh on that for some reason (I haven't been to MI in years so I don't really recall what happened)

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Michigan tried to do that too IIRC, but I think the current state govt. put the kibosh on that for some reason (I haven't been to MI in years so I don't really recall what happened)

most states are trying to do it, it's a pretty big thing to pursue economic development by incubating some industrial sector like biotech, software, film/tv, etc.

atlanta has been more successful than most because of transportation (easy to ship things here and fly in/out) and climate, similar to vancouver ca

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

a bone to pick posted:

I think the way Mike explained it was perfect, Asylum movies are made just to trick mom or dad into buying it for their kids thinking that "Transmorphers" is the same movie as "Transformers".

This is probably true, but there are no doubt several cheap parents who just don't care about the differences. Giant robots, good enough, leave mommy alone now.

Edit: This post has been brought to you by each and every Go Bot toy I had as a child.

counterfeitsaint fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Feb 10, 2017

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

a bone to pick posted:

I have a hard time believing there's that many morons out there. Then again, look at our President.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Then again look at 90% of the worlds population.

Like, that's how society works. A solid bedrock of dumbasses, so the top 10% can get poo poo done.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

TheBigAristotle posted:

I have a hard time believing there's that many morons out there. Then again, look at our President.

A sucker is born every minute, and they buy Asylum movies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

A is the for the atrocious abominated acts that YOu committed. A is also for ass-i-nine, eight, seven, and six.

B, b, b - b is for your belligerent, bitchy, bottomless state of affairs, but why?

C is for the cantankerous condition of our character, you have no cut-out.
Grimey Drawer

Veskit posted:

Why the gently caress is everyone so ignorant of taxes? Anyway that movie received huge tax breaks possibly to the point that the government paid them to make that movie, but it had nothing to do with what dumbass jack said.

Don't be like that kid on Ooga Booga that was all "I can't believe you don't know about trains!"

a bone to pick posted:

When I was a boy I wanted a "Chipmunks" CD and I got a "Grasshoppers". Same poo poo - not all parents know the slightest thing about pop culture.

• Locked thread