Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Evil Canadian posted:

Guardbreak, then hit a direction and guardbreak again to toss people around. Some peoples animations/differences are more involved than just the regular toss as shown in that gif.

Okay, thanks. I knew how to throw, but I didn't recognize the guard break move and it looked like they were comboing into the throw. I don't know how I didn't recognize the guard break for that class, I got her to level 9 or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

I spent hours in the beta just doing 1v1 practice vs bots just to get used to the controls, this is the type of game that can be very frustrating and demoralizing when you feel outclassed by your opponent. It was pretty annoying that you could only use rank 1 bots in the actual duel practice mode though, had to set up a 1v1 match to have the better ones.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:

Indecisive posted:

I spent hours in the beta just doing 1v1 practice vs bots just to get used to the controls, this is the type of game that can be very frustrating and demoralizing when you feel outclassed by your opponent. It was pretty annoying that you could only use rank 1 bots in the actual duel practice mode though, had to set up a 1v1 match to have the better ones.

Guess I know now what my first few hours will also look like.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
The open beta will have tons of new players. You can jump right in with duel and probably hit quite a few people just starting off as well. You have the advantage of the information in this thread, so there's no reason to shy from duel. Especially the first day.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Hypha posted:

Guess I know now what my first few hours will also look like.

Do the tutorial, then the advanced tutorial, then the bots. The game is pretty good about teaching you everything you need to know and explaining how to do it. Thankfully it's a lot more comprehensive than "here's your move set and a training dummy that doesn't move. Good luck!"

The level 2 bots basically mimic a moderately skilled player that knows their fighter's moves, strengths, and weaknesses. I'm a fighting game novice and barely played multiplayer until I could win most of my bot 2 games. I was surprised at how much easier the other players were after that. Especially in dominion.

The nice thing about For Honor is that if there's an easy to execute cheese move that keeps beating you, there's probably an equally easy and simple way to counter it. So if anyone in this thread is having trouble with guard break spam or some other one note strategy, please, please, please ask here and we can point you in the right direction. It's a fun game but until it "clicks" it can be extremely frustrating with lots of cheap feeling deaths.

Kubrick
Jul 20, 2004

How do I get into the beta? Is it just going to pop-up on steam or is there a registration process?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
uplay, son

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider
It should be hanging out in your steam games list as "For Honor Open Beta".
Or uplay.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
Whaaaat the same Blue Byte that made Incubation, my favorite janky 3D XCOM pseudoclone from the 90s?? Weird

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Kubrick posted:

How do I get into the beta? Is it just going to pop-up on steam or is there a registration process?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3794049&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=24#post469220385

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
Is there a discord for meeting battle bros?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Is u-play down or is it just for me.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Is u-play down or is it just for me.

Yeah, it seems to have exploded under the strain. If you're still in game, I suggest not quitting out of it, you probably won't get back in for a while. On the plus side, shortly before the whole thing buckled there were close to 150,000 players online. :toot:

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
work is over :stare:

im on my way home:stare::stare:

gonna play the poo poo out of dis game :stare::stare::stare:

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
How do I play against level 2 or 3 bots in the Multiplayer Duel mode? Can't figure it out for the life of me

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider

OctaMurk posted:

How do I play against level 2 or 3 bots in the Multiplayer Duel mode? Can't figure it out for the life of me

custom game in the main menu

Kiffetastic
Aug 20, 2004

Oooooh Yeeeees!

mellowjournalism posted:

Whaaaat the same Blue Byte that made Incubation, my favorite janky 3D XCOM pseudoclone from the 90s?? Weird

Man I loved that game so much. I went looking for it years later and couldn't find a trace of it whatsoever, almost like it never existed.

Also this game is hard. If only the Vikings could yell out lines about haggis, my life would be complete. I'm lookin' at you, Die by the Sword.

Zernach
Oct 23, 2012
Pretty bummed out that Lawbringer isn't in, polearms+heavy armor is an aesthetic I really like.

Guess it's raidin' time for me then, since thats the closest thing I'll get to a proper polearm. Needs hooks and/or spikes to be a proper polearm so the Raiders axe don't count :colbert:.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
im gonna nobushi you so hard

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
There's no custom private match for the 4v4 elimination mode. That's dumb.

Av027
Aug 27, 2003
Qowned.

Kiffetastic posted:

Also this game is hard.

I recommend to all my buddies that I got into previous betas to stick to one character, study the moves, figure out one new move every match (or practice a bunch), and when they have all the basics down, then think about another character. Usually it's enough. Once you completely understand the general control scheme and most of one moveset, the rest of the movesets are easier to pick up, though there are still some that are harder than others. I'd also recommend avoiding assassin types (berserker, peacekeeper, orochi) until you've got some grasp of the control scheme. They're good, and some people might be able to jump straight into them and do fine, but their basic defenses are harder to use than the other class types, and it might bite you in the rear end.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
The closed to open patches didn't actually go live. Peacekeeper 3x stab still does half your HP bar.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
oh my god

Uplay wont let me play the god drat game

I only have two hours! I ONLY HAVE TWO HOURS

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
aaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I feel ya, they are either woefully unprepared for the amount of people who want to play or they are being hammered by a DDOS, eitherway, servers ain't working.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
*autistic screeching*

Dosvidanya
May 28, 2004

I don't advertise for free ;-*
they seem to have fixed Viking having a battlefront on every spot from the closed beta so maybe the faction war will be balanced this time lol

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Can someone explain the faction war to me because I do not get it. I know you can dump some points after playing for a while and uh stuff

Can someone just break it down? In simple, retard friendly words

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Zzulu posted:

Can someone just break it down? In simple, retard friendly words

It's dumb.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Game seems to be working.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

I've been duelling with a friend since I got home. I'm also really bad!

Dosvidanya
May 28, 2004

I don't advertise for free ;-*

Chomp8645 posted:

It's dumb.

this but also every time you do a match you can place reinforcements on a site or attack in the area you did the match in

So if you're a Knight and you do a Dominion match and win, you can place a knight icon on a tile and that bolsters the defense. But if you do a 2v2 brawl and that's currently on the Viking/Samurai border, you can't place anything at all. You've essentially wasted your time if you care about the faction war.

Whereas in closed beta Vikings could queue for anything and get faction points leading to them stomping over everything lol

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Sultan Tarquin posted:

The closed to open patches didn't actually go live. Peacekeeper 3x stab still does half your HP bar.

Huh odd. Wonder if that'll be addressed before the beta is over.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Dosvidanya posted:

this but also every time you do a match you can place reinforcements on a site or attack in the area you did the match in

So if you're a Knight and you do a Dominion match and win, you can place a knight icon on a tile and that bolsters the defense. But if you do a 2v2 brawl and that's currently on the Viking/Samurai border, you can't place anything at all. You've essentially wasted your time if you care about the faction war.

Whereas in closed beta Vikings could queue for anything and get faction points leading to them stomping over everything lol

You totally can place faction war points even to fronts you're not actively fighting at, just at a somewhat reduced rate. Besides, if you don't place your assets into a particular area, the points are just spread around all the territories.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Zernach posted:

Pretty bummed out that Lawbringer isn't in, polearms+heavy armor is an aesthetic I really like.

Same here, at least it won't be a long wait until release.

Does this faction war nonsense affect who you can team up with? I know the classes themselves are independent from it (thank God), but I want to make sure this doesn't get in the way of my brother and I playing together.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Ok I'll make an actual more descriptive but simple post about Faction War.

FACTION WAR

How do I Faction War?: It's basically all automatic. Every player must declare loyalty to a faction before playing online. Then, whenever you play regular matches (not campaign, not practice mode) you automatically contribute points for your faction. You are NOT required to play as a character from your declared faction to contribute, nor is there currently any bonus/penalty related to doing so. Similarly, there is no bonus or penalty related to declared faction of any team members. The amount of points you contribute is based on the amount of renown you earn in the match, and a bonus(?) if your team wins. All "multiplayer" modes contribute, even if you are only playing against AI opponents. If you desire you may use assign your contribution from each match to the attack/defense of a specific region, but if you do nothing your points will be distributed even across all zones anyway. Basically there is no active management required to participate, and in fact very little to do even if you want to. Play games, get points.

How does the map go?: Every so often (several hours) all the contributed points are tallied up and territories will change hands based on the totals. If total attack exceeds defense then the territory changes hands. If not, it remains in the hands of it's owner. There is no random factor, it's pure aggregate points. Then, all points are reset and the process begins again with the new battle lines. Any territories that cannot trace a path back to their owner's home zone are CUT OFF and cannot be defended (basically a guaranteed flip next turn). After so many turns something happens and the Faction War progresses to the next phase (not currently known how this works I think). Note: There is a modifier to player contributions to the map based on population imbalance between factions.

Why do I Faction War?: After so many phases, the Season of a Faction War comes to an end and a winner will be declared based on controlled territory. The winning faction will get some swanky swag, presumably in the form of skins or emblems or something. It is not currently known what prize goes to second or third place, if anything. A player MAY switch factions during a season, but this incurs a currently undefined penalty when reward time comes at the end of the season. Ubisoft has stated that they plan to use the Faction War as a release schedule for Season Pass content. Basically, when a new season begins is when the new heroes and maps will hit the scene. Seasons are to be ten weeks each in length.

You can stick this in your OP and SMOKE IT. Let me know if I got anything wrong, or missed anything important.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Is the 4v4 brawl in the game now? I want to fight dudes with my three friends but I don't want to have to deal with capping points.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Kiffetastic posted:

Also this game is hard.

What are you having trouble with? I'm pretty good at the game and stuck at work without much to do so I'd be happy to help.

That goes for anyone else just starting the game too. Tell us what character you're playing or what is killing you a lot and I'm sure myself or others can help you out.

If you're just starting for the first time, do the basic tutorial, the advanced tutorial, and then training against the level 1 bot. When you beat it consistently, hop online. If you're like me and want more practice and experience before playing online start a custom match with 99 rounds and a level 2 bot. The level 2 bot is seriously tough (especially the berserker I found) and once you get the hang of beating it you'll find other human players comparatively easy.

skit herre
Mar 24, 2015

Don't do drugs, kids.
Lipstick Apathy
drat, this game is pretty rad. And I haven't even done anything other than fighting bots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Thanks for the info on faction war. I normally find this kind of declared competition inane, but it sounds like it doesn't actually get in the way of things at all.