Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Fangz posted:

But the arguments for it lead quite simply to austerity.

I agree, which is why I don't like it. But you still have the problem that no other Labour candidate is offering anything better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
So it's self-reporting?

I dunno I think there might be a few more tesseractors in the Labour membership than they wanted to admit, and certainly there were more Labour voters who voted to Leave than are saying so, or Leave would not have won so much outside of the south.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Fangz posted:

I mean I'd argue that Corbynite Labour is *already* in support of austerity, thanks to their commitment to the boneheaded fiscal credibility rule last year. But I'm sure Corbyn will make his support for austerity more explicit in a short while, since there's not far he needs to go to make that so.

I get that you're upset because of the A50 vote but suggesting that Corbyn is some kind of secret fan of austerity is more of a stretch than the Goatse dude's butthole

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

jBrereton posted:

So it's self-reporting?

I dunno I think there might be a few more tesseractors in the Labour membership than they wanted to admit, and certainly there were more Labour voters who voted to Leave than are saying so, or Leave would not have won so much outside of the south.

The weightings all fit.

Also, lol.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

jBrereton posted:

How's about the new powers in Scotland which fell short of what people were promised in The Vow?

The referendum was in/out, not the terms of that.

...hang on a minute.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

TinTower posted:

Wikipedia has been debating over the past eight months whether a far-right terrorist shooting and killing a Labour Member of Parliament for political reasons counts as an assassination.

Is it? I think of assassination as something more organised, with 'higher powers' involved.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

MikeCrotch posted:

I get that you're upset because of the A50 vote but suggesting that Corbyn is some kind of secret fan of austerity is more of a stretch than the Goatse dude's butthole

I'm not saying Corbyn's a 'secret fan of austerity', I'm saying that Labour's resistance to it has all the fortitude of a wet noodle.

If it's people's red line on him then, okay, because I'm convinced it'll be put to the test soon enough. But I reckon people will find excuses and be flexible on whether Corbyn's position is 'really austerity' and talk about how Labour is in a no win situation where whipping for Tory plans is actually good.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Tesseraction posted:

The referendum was in/out, not the terms of that.

...hang on a minute.
If you're trying to claim that the promised preconditions for "no" were not a factor in unionists somehow not snatching defeat from the jaws of victory I don't know what to say.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

jBrereton posted:

So it's self-reporting?

Or alternatively there's just, yaknow, more people in the UK than Labour voters/members. Not to say I agree with the stats but it's not like the Labour vote or membership is so overwhelmingly large that they control the rest of the UK's results in the ref.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Oh dear me posted:

I agree, which is why I don't like it. But you still have the problem that no other Labour candidate is offering anything better.

How much of this is due to us not knowing a lot about the other Labour MPs?

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

TheRat posted:

Is it? I think of assassination as something more organised, with 'higher powers' involved.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

jBrereton posted:

How's about the new powers in Scotland which fell short of what people were promised in The Vow?

The Vow was bollocks on the front of the Record, not actually any part of the referendum on Scottish independence.

This is exceedingly boring. Stop with the pedantry drivel, one Pissflaps is more than enough. We even agree that the 3 line whip was bad, especially as it just seemed unnecessary with so many of the pro-EU MPs like Umuna coming around that actually economic suicide out of poorly informed xenophobia is a good idea.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Zephro posted:

OK no, you're right. It's impossible to live overseas and you're all stuck here. Sucks to be you guys, I guess.
lol

Speaking and writing English natively is probably the single biggest advantage of being born in the UK, even without other skills that single attribute will find you work in half the rest of the world. It's easier for an English speaker to move abroad in Europe than for almost anyone else, because no matter where you go people will speak at least a bit of your language. If language barriers don't stop Latvians or Hungarians from finding work abroad I don't see why it should stop Britons (if they can overcome their innate fear of foreigners and deeply traumatic memories of school French lessons).

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

jBrereton posted:

If you're trying to claim that the promised preconditions for "no" were not a factor in unionists somehow not snatching defeat from the jaws of victory I don't know what to say.

This is an absurd interpretation of my post. The ScotRef was whether Scotland would become independent. It voted to remain in the UK, which the government honoured. The conditions in which it stayed were not at any point part of the referendum itself, merely a promise from a serial liar that he totally (wink wink) will (nudge nudge) honour his word. The government if anything doubled down on the result by not even offering the concessions it promised in the 11th hour.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

TinTower posted:

forkboy84 posted:

Oh god, gently caress off you dense oval office. When have they ever ignored the result of a referendum?

Birmingham (42-58), Coventry (36-64), Manchester (47-53), and Newcastle (38-62) all voted in referendums in 2012 not to have mayors. They'll be electing mayors this May.

Also, because I forgot, the government refused a request by the public to name a £300m research vessel "Boaty McBoatface".

At least Pitbull went to Alaska.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

TheRat posted:

Did Leon Czoglosz assassinate McKinley in the States? He was a lone wolf. Wikipedia certainly calls it an assassination. Or for another British example, see Spencer Perceval was assassinated.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Kennedy was assassinated by a lone wolf

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

TinTower posted:

Also, because I forgot, the government refused a request by the public to name a £300m research vessel "Boaty McBoatface".

At least Pitbull went to Alaska.

Boaty McBoatface wasn't a referendum though, it was an online poll. Slight difference, plus the fact naming a boat was a silly thing as opposed to EU membership which certain people get quite worked up about.

Can't comment on the mayoral elections because I don't follow local politics in England. Were mayors for those towns in the Tory 2015 manifesto? If we'd had a general election between August and now and Labour had a commitment to oppose leaving the EU, it'd be a lot easier to go against the referendum.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Fangz posted:

How much of this is due to us not knowing a lot about the other Labour MPs?

None of it. It's the result of Labour Party rules and the balance of power on the NEC.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

forkboy84 posted:

Boaty McBoatface wasn't a referendum though, it was an online poll. Slight difference, plus the fact naming a boat was a silly thing as opposed to EU membership which certain people get quite worked up about.

Can't comment on the mayoral elections because I don't follow local politics in England. Were mayors for those towns in the Tory 2015 manifesto? If we'd had a general election between August and now and Labour had a commitment to oppose leaving the EU, it'd be a lot easier to go against the referendum.

Only Manchester was mentioned in the Tory manifesto, although that was basically a fait accompli as the deal had been agreed by council leaders (not even full council) without a referendum the previous November.

The Tory manifesto also committed to the single market regardless of the referendum result, by the way.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

jBrereton posted:

This right here is some revisionist bullshit.

Labour openly said they were making no attempt at all to stop anything if the amendments failed. So what's the point of even asking? And if you say it's a "democratic decision", I mean who the gently caress voted for this current leadership (nobody directly) and who the gently caress voted for Brexit meaning Let's Go It Alone if Theresa May's team doesn't like it? No effort was ever made to sway public opinion against Brexit after the vote despite it being very close, and there being known buyer's remorse in the aftermath for a lot of people.

Carte blanche for the Tories was not a democratically made choice. It's a disgrace.

The point of asking is that they tried to add sensible guarantees and requirements to the process, which were shot down by the Tories. You can think of it as symbolic like voting against A50 would have been, if you like. They never had any power to force the issue, this is a Tory majority united behind their party, even when it comes to amendments many of their pro-remain MPs wanted

Hell I wanted another referendum, or the whole thing blocked, but I also recognise how much of a shitstorm surrounds both of those at the moment. Nothing's changed, the Tories are still promising the moon, more people than ever support going through with it, and Labour need the power to convince the pro-Leave side in particular that things are actually looking bad - being the bad guy and the scapegoat doesn't help with that

I keep saying it but Labour are in a really difficult situation right now, and they've made a hard choice with short-term fallout hoping for long-term influence. People keep going "Corbyn wants brexit!" but the fact is the party in general backed this approach, against their own beliefs and often their constituencies'. They ain't doing this out of fierce loyalty to their beloved leader. If it were clear it would work then it'd have been an easy decision, but they've decided it's their best shot

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

big scary monsters posted:

lol

Speaking and writing English natively is probably the single biggest advantage of being born in the UK, even without other skills that single attribute will find you work in half the rest of the world. It's easier for an English speaker to move abroad in Europe than for almost anyone else, because no matter where you go people will speak at least a bit of your language. If language barriers don't stop Latvians or Hungarians from finding work abroad I don't see why it should stop Britons (if they can overcome their innate fear of foreigners and deeply traumatic memories of school French lessons).
Yes, exactly. If people are actually seriously worried about Brexit (and you should be) then you should at least consider working in Europe while you still can. It won't stop you coming back to the UK later if (for some reason) that's what you want to do, and it's only going to get harder to do once Glorious Britane floats off into the mid-Atlantic in 2019. You might even find that you like it enough to apply for citizenship in whichever country you end up in and then you have the great prize of an EU passport to go with your British one, and one of the biggest effects of Brexit won't apply to you.

Obviously it's harder to do this if you've got kids or w/e but this thread is mostly pretty young and it is only going to get harder to do from here on out.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

forkboy84 posted:

Did Leon Czoglosz assassinate McKinley in the States? He was a lone wolf. Wikipedia certainly calls it an assassination. Or for another British example, see Spencer Perceval was assassinated.
I'm not even sure that Mair was a lone wolf. Certainly someone provided him a sawn-off rimfire, and being able to psych yourself up to stab someone to death in front of a crowd weeks after attending a psych yourself up to stab someone camp Britain First knife defense camp for defending yourself only course seems more than coincidental.

I'd put him about halfway between John Wilkes Booth, where a bunch of people talked about how awesome it would be to kill pro-Union politicians, but he was the only one that went all out, and a lone wolf like John Bellingham.

Both of those were considered assassinations though, so I don't see why it wouldn't be called that either way.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
There's also the issue that the standard Remain arguments didn't work in the run up to the referendum and there's no indication they are going to work now. It's all well and good to draw a line in the sand, say "No to Article 50!" and trot out the sensible arguments that a hard brexit will gently caress up the country/soft brexit still has a bunch of issues, but if that fails to convince people in general, and the public continues to buy May and Farage's lies until it's too late, what good does it do?

I broadly agree with Corbyn's plan to back the referendum result so not to alienate Brexit voters, but to fight for as soft a brexit as possible. I think voting for A50 after the amendments were rejected undermined that unfortunately, but I appreciated that there was A Plan, as all of Labour's options were pretty terrible all told. I wonder if things had been different if Tristram Hunt hadnt resigned and forced the Stoke by-election, who knows.

I think the three line whip was a mistake, and that it indicates Corbyn's failure both to convince the PLP and the membership of Labour's path. I think had he started down this path earlier and spent more effort convincing the party while not whipping the final vote, things wouldn't have got to where there are. I think ultimately it was a stark reminder of Corbyn's inexperience as a political operator, and suspect that the countdown to his replacement has begun, unless he can find some way of bringing the party back round.

Corbyn's inexperience btw is why I don't want Clive Lewis anytime soon, as i'm extremely worried that both the Tories and the Labour Right would be able to have their way with him unless he has time to get more experience under his belt.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

TinTower posted:

The mental hurdles people are jumping over to excuse Corbyn literally voting for a hard Tory Brexit reminds me of that "irregular verbs" joke in Yes Minister: I respect the government's mandate, you prop up an unpopular government, he is a yellow Tory.

The Lib Dems literally propped a Tory government. Labour is literally not. loving hell.

Also nice Freudian slip because Lib Dems are Yellow Tories. Corbyn is definitely not a Red Tory.

Lord of the Llamas fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Feb 9, 2017

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Lord of the Llamas posted:

The Lib Dems literally propped a Tory government. Labour is literally not. loving hell.

Tell me exactly how voting for a Tory bill that is against Labour policy and the wishes of the vast majority of Labour voters and members isn't "propping up a Tory government".

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

TinTower posted:

Tell me exactly how voting for a Tory bill that is against Labour policy and the wishes of the vast majority of Labour voters and members isn't "propping up a Tory government".

Because the current Tory government has a majority and doesn't need propping up??? Much unlike certain other Tory governments I could name.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

TinTower posted:

It wasn't and never has been Labour policy to ignore the referendum result by voting against Article 50 and neither a majority of remain voters or a majority of Labour voters advocate doing that.

It might be Lib Dem policy. Which is why they poll at a stonking great 14% amongst Remain voters in the latest YouGov.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Baron Corbyn posted:

Because the current Tory government has a majority and doesn't need propping up??? Much unlike certain other Tory governments I could name.

They don't need propping up, but Corbyn's doing it anyway.

It wasn't and never has been Labour policy to ignore the referendum result by voting against Article 50 and neither a majority of remain voters or a majority of Labour voters advocate doing that.

Softest Brexit Possible is Labour policy. They voted for Hard Brexit last night.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

TinTower posted:

One bill. Corbyn is voting with the government on one bill. Your party were best pals with the Tories for 5 years.

TinTower posted:

Softest Brexit Possible is Labour policy. They voted for Hard Brexit last night.

"Softest Brexit possible" does imply some sort of Brexit, and voting against Article 50 would kind of go against that policy.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

TinTower posted:

To prop up means to prevent from falling. Corbyn is not preventing the Tory government from falling, much unlike a certain other politician whose name was a C-word.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

TinTower posted:

I don't know if you noticed but negotiations haven't even started. Saying Labour voted for hard Brexit because of the A50 bill is just as inaccurate as Kippers claiming the economy is totally fine and Brexit is a total success already.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/PickardJE/status/829698730924273664

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

It might be Lib Dem policy. Which is why they poll at a stonking great 14% amongst Remain voters in the latest YouGov.

I get 18%. Labour are on 30% with Remain voters.

I'd be interested in seeing new VI figures after the bill. Might have turned off a lot of Remain/Labour voters.

cargohills posted:

One bill. Corbyn is voting with the government on one bill. Your party were best pals with the Tories for 5 years.

The most important bill possibly since the Human Rights Act.

There's also the Snoopers Charter, where the former head of Liberty failed to vote against…

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Good to know no important bills happened between 1998 and now.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Labour's tumble in the polls: "it's only a flesh wound!"

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I'd suggest the Marriage Act of 2013 was a pretty huge act. How did your man, Tim vote on that one, TinTower?

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

TinTower posted:

Labour's tumble in the polls: "it's only a flesh wound!"

lol

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

TinTower posted:

The Tory manifesto also committed to the single market regardless of the referendum result, by the way.

And Corbyn should be fighting on that basis: that May has no mandate to broker a deal which takes us out of the single market. This is something the Tories couldn't legitimately protest and would shore up the assertion that Labour want what is best for Britain as well as respecting the will of the people. But he isn't. He's letting her do as she pleases because it's easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Baron Corbyn posted:

I'd suggest the Marriage Act of 2013 was a pretty huge act. How did your man, Tim vote on that one, TinTower?

• Locked thread