Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fist4jesus
Nov 24, 2002

Efexeye posted:

I think the top guy makes about $1200 USD a month and he's extremely happy to get it. They also get 13 months of pay for working 12, and have about 60 national holidays

Well thats 4 times what we pay.
Its cute really. They were intended to replace us, but keep leaving after getting training and experience, and have quality problems, and now we are hiring onshore again. loving telco jobs.
Really nice hard working people in general. Getting the treatment now that India is too expensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

In the industry I work in (digital advertising, I have my own consultancy), the agency model has become 'hire people to do the work in Iraq, the Phillippines or India, and just have account managers and sales teams in the US'. The biggest problem is that you have to write a lot for what I do and while the Filipino guys have a good grasp of 'the King's English' as a textbook teaches it they aren't able to write the way that Americans are used to reading. So yeah, that model is turning in to a bust because there are only so many customers to turn and burn.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Lime Tonics posted:

Engineers Assess Spillway Problem at Oroville Dam

quote:

David Gutierrez, a retired Department of Water Resources dam-safety expert, said water would pour out of an emergency spillway if the lake were allowed to fill past the brim of the dam.

The emergency spillway, which has never been used, is designed for the scenario of the “biggest flood that any overgenerous engineer could ever dream of coming through that system with a full reservoir,” said Lund of UC Davis. The flows would be unregulated, meaning the state wouldn’t have any control over how much water pours down the emergency spillway, Lund said.

http://www.sacbee.com/news/state/california/water-and-drought/article131348349.html

Professors give the best quotes.

It’s the tallest dam in the U.S., and it’s earthen. :gonk:

CollegeCop
Jul 11, 2005

You're right. I'm not a real cop. Those are imaginary handcuffs. And in a minute, we'll be going to the make-believe jail.

Jerry Cotton posted:

What's the English-language mnemonic for water first, acid second?

We learned it as Triple A - "Always Add Acid"

Which, in hindsight, in probably bad, as it doesn't specify what it is you are adding acid to.

hunkrust
Sep 29, 2014
I got an MA in asking leading questions about how sexism isnt real, and regularly fail to grasp that other people have different experience than me or enjoy different things.
I also own multiple fedoras, to go with my leather dusters, and racist pin badges.

SLOSifl posted:

My company has an office in Makati and they are all very highly skilled. I work with filipino coworkers all the time. I work for one of the largest software companies in the world and we have offices everywhere, and our manilla guys are equally important and competent.

What is your basis for this opinion?

Why do you have a job then?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

fist4jesus posted:

Well thats 4 times what we pay.
Its cute really. They were intended to replace us, but keep leaving after getting training and experience
It's as if employee retention is a problem everywhere you go.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
We were talking about fishtailing due to unbalanced trailer loads a while back, and now it's back in toy model form!

https://twitter.com/MachinePix/status/829404644665274368

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

evil_bunnY posted:

It's as if employee retention is a problem everywhere you go.

Not if you offer a competitive salary and benefits package.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Platystemon posted:

http://www.sacbee.com/news/state/california/water-and-drought/article131348349.html

There's also probably a butt load of mercury-laden tailings from Gold Rush era hydraulic mining sitting right behind the dam. Obviously nothing compared to a catastrophic dam failure, but definitely adding insult to injury.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
My 10th grade chemistry teacher was OSHA as gently caress. He was a retired chemical engineer and he told us stories about the 'good old days' when one of their waste products was 55 gallon drums of pure sodium and they'd hold a lottery each month to pick which employee got to shoot the barrels with a rifle after they dumped them off a party barge into the Rio Grande.

He liked to do example reactions in front of the class and his semester finale was making nitrogen triiodide. He'd whip up a brown paste and spread it on a paper towel all the time talking about how many Nazis got killed trying to make rocket fuel out of it.

After a minute or so while the paste was still damp he'd pop a striker over it a few times and nothing would happen. He'd shrug and say, sorry guys, this can be a tricky reaction and he'd push the paper towel off the bench and into a waste bin and go off into the lesson.

Of course five minutes later the towel dries out and the waste bin explodes and scares the poo poo out of us.

It was even better than the time he let us drink the PGA we distilled.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Platystemon posted:

Just a small crack,

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

tactlessbastard posted:

My 10th grade chemistry teacher was OSHA as gently caress. He was a retired chemical engineer and he told us stories about the 'good old days' when one of their waste products was 55 gallon drums of pure sodium and they'd hold a lottery each month to pick which employee got to shoot the barrels with a rifle after they dumped them off a party barge into the Rio Grande.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HY7mTCMvpEM

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Volcott posted:

Not if you offer a competitive salary and benefits package.
That's what I meant. If you train people then proceed to pay them below market and/or treat them like doodoo, surprise surprise they're going leave.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Exactly :clint:

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?

Lime Tonics posted:

Just a small crack,

Someone let the PR team get ahold of the press release though, that's just "a 250-foot-long pothole".

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Duzzy Funlop posted:

If someone accidentally subs in "Immer" instead of "Niemals", and that sentence still makes perfect sense to them, they probably should pour water into acid.

As should we all?

CollegeCop posted:

Which, in hindsight, in probably bad, as it doesn't specify what it is you are adding acid to.

It certainly improved my macaroni casserole!

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Lime Tonics posted:

Just a small crack,

So, why can't they just dump a ton of dry concrete mix in it and let a little water through until it is mixed? Seems like an easy fix.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
Waiting the imgur diy where they fix a dam

hunkrust
Sep 29, 2014
I got an MA in asking leading questions about how sexism isnt real, and regularly fail to grasp that other people have different experience than me or enjoy different things.
I also own multiple fedoras, to go with my leather dusters, and racist pin badges.

Jusupov posted:

Waiting the imgur diy where they fix a dam

Ya gently caress those diy posts, saw one on someone who built a house, like ya that's totally feasible

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Atticus_1354 posted:

So, why can't they just dump a ton of dry concrete mix in it and let a little water through until it is mixed? Seems like an easy fix.

Use those firefighting helicopter buckets, but filled with quick‐set concrete instead of flame retardant.

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender
Drop in a boatload of beavers

then send in bears to take care of the beavers

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Then send in the Aussies to drink all the beers

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

CollegeCop posted:

We were just told to go in alphabetical order, Acid into Water.

Which, in hindsight, is probably bad, since you could take that to mean the order you put them in the beaker.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
"Here he lies, cold and placid.
Poured the water on the acid."

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
http://i.imgur.com/6E26yJT.mp4

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Today in Dutch news:

"Of the 400 chemical and otherwise high risk plants, more than half are not following safety rules properly. According to inspection reports, a fifth to a quarter of organisations commit medium to heavy OSHA violations.

According to a professor of safety management, most of these infractions are about useless rules that cause lots of extra paper work. However, she says, there are plenty of companies, such as storage, transhipment, and chemical waste treatment, with very small profit margins. To prevent making a loss, these companies have no choice but to walk on the edges of OSHA regulations, and they are quite good at hiding their practices from the government."

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Will someone who got a better grade than I did in high school chemistry please tell me what the deal is with the whole acid and water thing, because I have no idea what any of you are talking about.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Powered Descent posted:

Will someone who got a better grade than I did in high school chemistry please tell me what the deal is with the whole acid and water thing, because I have no idea what any of you are talking about.

To dilute an acid, you add water to your vessel and then add the acid. Doing it in this order means that when you start pouring, a little acid is hitting a bunch of water. By contrast, pouring water into a container of concentrated acid can result in a vigorous, even explosive, reaction as the excess acid reacts with all of the available water on contact.

Edit: typo

Toast Museum fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Feb 9, 2017

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Powered Descent posted:

Concentrated acids can have violent reactions when mixed with water. Adding water to acid is more likely to spit acid at you than vice versa.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Essentially, when acid and water meet the acid breaks down into positively-charged hydrogen ions, and the negatively-charged leftovers, which all distribute themselves around the solution. The distribution process produces quite a bit of heat.

If you take a big batch of pure acid, and dump some water in there, it's likely to just instantly boil from that heat and splash highly-concentrated acid everywhere. So instead you add acid to water, which lets you control how much heat is produced (by adding the acid slowly) and gives you a whole bunch of water to spread that heat around, which avoids the issue.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
In very short: "Acid to base if you want to keep your face."

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

The Dark One posted:

We were talking about fishtailing due to unbalanced trailer loads a while back, and now it's back in toy model form!

https://twitter.com/MachinePix/status/829404644665274368

I don't know how much it influenced this demonstration, but a Ford Mustang is probably not an ideal towing platform. But it is rated to tow up to 1000 lbs.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Number_6 posted:

I don't know how much it influenced this demonstration, but a Ford Mustang is probably not an ideal towing platform. But it is rated to tow up to 1000 lbs.

They originally used a model Corvette for that demonstration as it looked cooler, but it kept spinning off before they even added the the toy trailer.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012
I don't see any tiny people getting mown down, though?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Number_6 posted:

It's an RC car demonstrating how shifting weight behind a final axle turns an intermediate axle into a lifted axle whether you like it or not.

Although I debated the hell out of getting a tow kit for a Mustang when I saw the blurb in the manual about tow ratings.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Dam update,

Crater in Oroville Dam spillway will continue to grow, officials warn, as reservoir levels climb

http://www.sacbee.com/news/state/california/water-and-drought/article131579999.html

Jesus Christ
Jun 1, 2000

mods if you can make this my avatar I will gladly pay 10bux to the coffers

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Al really should be wearing a hardhat.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Number_6 posted:

If they had a little model coffee shop next to the ramp the Mustang would immediately fly off and hit someone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Lime Tonics posted:

Dam update,

Crater in Oroville Dam spillway will continue to grow, officials warn, as reservoir levels climb

http://www.sacbee.com/news/state/california/water-and-drought/article131579999.html

Why do I get the sense that they don't really have any idea of what to do?