Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

mcbexx posted:

I just left my computer for 10 minutes and when I came back, Windows 10 apparently had downloaded and installed an update and rebooted the system. No prompt, no warning, just came back to a clean desktop and when I checked the performance tab in the task manager, uptime was at 4 minutes.

Some of my open work files were not saved automatically before the shutdown and are now gone/in a previous revision state.

What the gently caress Microsoft? How could anyone think this is reasonable?

Then I googled and yes - your computer may or may not reboot now randomly when Windows Update deems it necessary. I found that there is a window of "active hours" you can set where such reboots should not be performed, but hey, it's already active and set to 8:00 am - 6:00 pm.
This particular reboot occured at 9:56 am. I reiterate - what the everliving gently caress?

This is beyond ridiculous. It seems you can futz around in task scheduler and basically write protect some files to prevent this from happening, but seriously, what?

There is at least one software engineer working at Microsoft who thought "Yeah, this is a good idea". I can't wrap my head around this.

Buy Windows 10 Pro and then you can control updates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Just disable updates and do them when you want. Then, don't ever tell the internet at large that you've done that, because I have seem some pretty ridiculous "the only acceptable time to install a patch is immediately" lines of thinking.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Once I was playing GTA V and Windows randomly rebooted + updated lol

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I can understand not wanting to update when you are doing work.
But if you are on youtube/forum browsing/gaming? Just restart.

Also Windows issues updates on the third Tuesday of every month still correct? If so, what on earth is happening where you guys are getting a bajillion updates?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I reboot when I go to take a dump.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Ain't nobody tryna reboot five times a day

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Is there any way to globally reset all Windows file/reg permissions to default without reinstalling Windows? I've fixed a couple problems lately from permissions somehow being dumb on stuff (like nothing on machine has full control of a dir, the system can't start a service,etc) and rather than fix each one as they pop up it'd be nice to have a big reset fix to run.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

SinineSiil posted:

Why does my Win10 suddenly think Xbone wireless adapter is network interface?

Because it is a network interface. It's a slightly tweaked WiFi, no joke.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone have any idea why installing the Anniversary update would silently turn printer sharing off? I've got it working again, but I'm still trying to understand why it might have happened in the first place.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Bieeardo posted:

Does anyone have any idea why installing the Anniversary update would silently turn printer sharing off? I've got it working again, but I'm still trying to understand why it might have happened in the first place.

Because it's more or less going through the process of a full operating system upgrade. Lots of little things like that sadly fall through the cracks.

e: Allegedly, it's going to be remembering more of our settings in future big win10 build upgrades.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Fair enough. The homegroup was intact, else I'd have caught it quicker. I was mostly wondering if it was intentional.

That's the worst thing that seems to have happened with my upgrade, so I really don't have much to complain about.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

FuzzySlippers posted:

Is there any way to globally reset all Windows file/reg permissions to default without reinstalling Windows? I've fixed a couple problems lately from permissions somehow being dumb on stuff (like nothing on machine has full control of a dir, the system can't start a service,etc) and rather than fix each one as they pop up it'd be nice to have a big reset fix to run.

I had permissions break after an update(?) and a refresh wouldn't fix it. Couldn't find a solution besides flatten and reinstall.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

dont be mean to me posted:

What can anyone say; sometimes people park system security updates for two weeks and don't bother to save their work.

Could be worse: some people park system security updates for two weeks and are livestreamers.

Well, worse for them, anyway; I think it's funny as hell.

One thing I'll never, ever forgive my dad for was his habit of buying SUPER CHEAP MUST GO WAREHOUSE END OF LINE DEAL laptops from eBay and installing the FCKGW flavour of Windows XP.

End result: entire family ignores software updates because of course they always break everything :rolleyes:

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

isndl posted:

I had permissions break after an update(?) and a refresh wouldn't fix it. Couldn't find a solution besides flatten and reinstall.

bah I guess I'll do that then, thanks.

btw, does anyone know a way to simplify Windows Explorer? I hate how to get to my files I always need to scroll / minimize OneDrive, 'Documents' 'Pictures' "Music', pinned quick access crap like Documents/Downloads that comes back after every update, etc. I wish it would just show the hard drives and network locations. I've ran reg scripts to remove some of them but they always come back on updates which happens all the time anymore.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

FuzzySlippers posted:

bah I guess I'll do that then, thanks.

btw, does anyone know a way to simplify Windows Explorer? I hate how to get to my files I always need to scroll / minimize OneDrive, 'Documents' 'Pictures' "Music', pinned quick access crap like Documents/Downloads that comes back after every update, etc. I wish it would just show the hard drives and network locations. I've ran reg scripts to remove some of them but they always come back on updates which happens all the time anymore.

nope, gotta do the registry thing every time. but it's not hard to just keep that reg file somewhere close to hand, and you don't have to reboot the OS or anything. OneDrive you can completely uninstall, it doesn't come back until the next super-update ala anniversary.

also speaking of making explorer better, clover works on win10 now.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Reading back through the thread there's been discussions on some people still doing the free upgrade to 10, figured I would throw in my experiences. Back when the upgrade was still available my shop made a few flash drives of the Windows 10 installer so we could do upgrades for our clients without good internet or save them the bandwidth. All of these still work to do free upgrades to this day, on any Windows 7, 8 or 8.1 computer, all you have to do is tell it to not check for updates during the upgrade process. We have done the upgrade for tons of computers, some which were at 10 and had to be reformatted and some which were never upgraded at all and still at 7/8.

I would imagine you could still do this if you could find a iso of the W10 upgrade, and should work for anyone.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

I'm baffled by my inability to stop windows from snapping/sticking to the edge of the screen in 10. Anything that gets within 20px or so of any border (including the transition between the two monitors) will vacu-suck itself to the edge. It's been annoying the hell out of me for a long time. All the Snap settings are disabled, "Prevent windows from being automatically arranged when moved to the edge of the screen" is checked in both the mouse and keyboard Accessibility settings, and it still just won't loving stop. There's probably another switch I'm missing somewhere, but Ill be damned if I can find it. Any ideas?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Settings -> System -> Multitasking

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

redeyes posted:

Settings -> System -> Multitasking

Acid Reflux posted:

All the Snap settings are disabled

I got those already :) Thanks though! This is why it's confusing me so much, I can't find any other settings that would be pertinent besides those and the Accessibility ones. It should "just work". Or not work, as it were.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Acid Reflux posted:

I got those already :) Thanks though! This is why it's confusing me so much, I can't find any other settings that would be pertinent besides those and the Accessibility ones. It should "just work". Or not work, as it were.

I just toggled the "Arrange windows automatically by dragging them to the sides or corners of the screen" multitasking setting on my machine and it's working entirely as expected. The other three related Snap settings automatically grey out when Snap is disabled. Your previous post says you toggled the settings under both the Mouse settings and the Keyboard settings, which makes no sense to me as neither of those settings menus should have anything related to Snapping. Is your Windows fully up to date?

Also note that some applications will perform window alignment tasks on their own and not as a result of Windows interfering. For example, Steam will align its windows to the edges of your screen if you move them close enough regardless of Windows Snap settings.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

isndl posted:

I just toggled the "Arrange windows automatically by dragging them to the sides or corners of the screen" multitasking setting on my machine and it's working entirely as expected. The other three related Snap settings automatically grey out when Snap is disabled. Your previous post says you toggled the settings under both the Mouse settings and the Keyboard settings, which makes no sense to me as neither of those settings menus should have anything related to Snapping. Is your Windows fully up to date?

I didn't think the Accessibility settings would really have anything to do with it either, but it was the only other even remotely relevant thing that Google pointed me at. My installation is up to date on the slow ring as far as I know...I let it update when it wants to, always have. Maybe I should switch to fast ring and see if anything changes for me on a newer build.

quote:

Also note that some applications will perform window alignment tasks on their own and not as a result of Windows interfering. For example, Steam will align its windows to the edges of your screen if you move them close enough regardless of Windows Snap settings.

It happens with every program, every window. Again, this is why I'm so friggin' confused. I'm not new at this whole Windows thing by any means, and rarely do I reach a point where I just throw my hands up in defeat, but I'm getting there this time. Ugh. It's really a minor annoyance in the grand scheme of things and I probably shouldn't let it bother me so much, but here we are anyway.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Holy poo poo, I'm an idiot.

Guess what "feature" DisplayFusion has enabled by default? *grumble, mutter, expletive*

All is right with the world again. I'm going to crawl back into my hole.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Khablam posted:

Depending on your needs, the easiest thing is probably the pre-fab VMs from MS themselves - https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-edge/tools/vms/

That's really neat. What's the catch? After getting it up and running do I actually have a fully featured Windows VM as in I can install software and stuff on it? It says they're good for 90 days but what's stopping me from just making another VM after 90 days? Literally the only reason I want a Windows VM is to install and run Office on my work computer (running Linux) because their web version is rear end.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
From the license:

quote:

You may use the software for testing purposes only. You may not use the software for
commercial purposes
. You may not use the software in a live operating environment.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Boris Galerkin posted:

That's really neat. What's the catch? After getting it up and running do I actually have a fully featured Windows VM as in I can install software and stuff on it? It says they're good for 90 days but what's stopping me from just making another VM after 90 days? Literally the only reason I want a Windows VM is to install and run Office on my work computer (running Linux) because their web version is rear end.

This would be a violation of the license and may or may not be something you can be audited on.
But from a technology POV, to answer your question there is nothing preventing you from doing so, or cloning the VM image on day one and rolling back to it.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Khablam posted:

or cloning the VM image on day one and rolling back to it.
The page explicitly says to do this.

"We recommend setting a snapshot when you first install the virtual machine which you can roll back to later."

Lowtechs
Jan 12, 2001
Grimey Drawer
Yet another insider update today. MS is going fast and furious with the Creators updates.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

What ended up happening with the anniversary update and changing motherboards? I'm looking to frankenstein a W10 machine and put in a new mobo, processor, and video card while using the existing drive, and I'm wondering if that's going to fly.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

The Wonder Weapon posted:

What ended up happening with the anniversary update and changing motherboards? I'm looking to frankenstein a W10 machine and put in a new mobo, processor, and video card while using the existing drive, and I'm wondering if that's going to fly.

The license is activated against your mobo/hardware hash. So it will deactivate and require you to feed it another WIndows 7/8/10 key.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

If you log into Windows with a microsoft account, the digital license should be linked to that. After the new build, you may have to go through the activation troubleshooter and select that you did do significant hardware changes to get it to reactivate.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Flipperwaldt posted:

If you log into Windows with a microsoft account, the digital license should be linked to that. After the new build, you may have to go through the activation troubleshooter and select that you did do significant hardware changes to get it to reactivate.

How does one go about tying an existing account to the license?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

You have to be signed into a Microsoft account on your computer, and it has to have had a free Windows 10 upgrade license in place before it got the Windows 10 Anniversary Edition update, the big one that came last summer.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

It's summarized here. If you've logged into Windows with your Microsoft account before, it's possible it sort of happened automatically already. It will explicitly specify as much under settings - update & security - activation.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Ok, I should meet those conditions. Didn't the anniversary update come out after the free upgrade period ended?

I'll give it a shot later. Thanks guys.

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

Any idea what could cause this? When I went to install the creator update, it's saying I'll need to do a clean install because it's a different edition... but it's the same edition.

Edited to Add:
Maybe it's not the same version? I grabbed the topmost one, and am currently running Windows 10 Pro. Could I be running a version too far back to upgrade? 1493.693?

WorkingStiff fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Feb 11, 2017

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
You're trying to go from normal to the "insider" track, right?

You don't need to reinstall the OS, just enable the Insider Program from Settings > Update & Security. It'll then work through the normal update process.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

fishmech posted:

You have to be signed into a Microsoft account on your computer, and it has to have had a free Windows 10 upgrade license in place before it got the Windows 10 Anniversary Edition update, the big one that came last summer.

This does not work, I have no idea why people think it does:

quote:

If you’re signed in using the correct Microsoft account, here are some additional reasons why you can’t reactivate Windows:

The edition of Windows on your device doesn’t match the edition of Windows you linked to your digital license.
The type of device you’re activating doesn’t match the type of device you linked to your digital license.
Windows was never activated on your device.

I think this is all based on a hardware hash. If I am wrong, great, I'll be really happy. The 'device' in the case of a built PC would be the motherboard.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

This is at the top of the page you got that from:

quote:

In Windows 10 (Version 1607 or later), you can link your Microsoft account to the Windows 10 digital license on your device. This can help you reactivate Windows using the Activation troubleshooter if you make a significant hardware change later, such as replacing the motherboard.

Gonna be fair here and say I haven't had the need to do this myself. But Microsoft is saying it should work.

e: vvv good to know

Flipperwaldt fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Feb 11, 2017

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

redeyes posted:

This does not work

Yes it does.

redeyes posted:

I have no idea why people think it does

Because Microsoft explicitly told us that's how to get a the license linked to your Microsoft Account, and also because it actually works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

I think the "device type" might still cockblock you if you're going from tablet to desktop or laptop to desktop or vice versa. Like when they absolutely know it can't be considered the same computer.