Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Four years of drawing nonstop latte-sipping dumb libs, eh Mike.

Also, like how this falls into the Asay Rule. On its face, there's....nothing bad about what these people are saying (aside from it being a fantasy). But you're supposed to think it's bad by default, because booga booga.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Ambitious Spider posted:

Feel like it needs a "feels good man" somewhere in there

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

D.N. Nation posted:

Four years of drawing nonstop latte-sipping dumb libs, eh Mike.

I like he can't even attempt to defend Devos so he backpedals to: YEAH WELL.....BABY KILLER!

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Well done

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

FishBulb posted:

Yeah the only people who home school are religious nutsos

usually true, but i do know at least one professor in college who home-schooled her kids cause she had a teaching degree anyway

incidentally she was the best professor i ever had

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
List of arguments espoused by conservative cartoonists in favor of Betsy DeVos:

- She makes liberals mad
- She makes the teacher unions mad
- If War on Women is real why is Betsy DeVos a woman outside
- Actually destroying public education is good

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

... is this literally just "Jewish holidays loooool"? Good christ.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I'm guessing that supporting Planned Parenthood is.....bad?

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

bencreateddisco
Dec 7, 2011

I BLEW $74K IN KICKSTARTER MONEY AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS UGLY AVATAR

thank god they're sugar free

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

OldTennisCourt posted:

I like he can't even attempt to defend [Trump admin buffoon] so he backpedals to: YEAH WELL.....BABY KILLER!
Thenexteightyearsinanutshell.txt

Jonas Albrecht posted:

You know, I have a feeling you're right about this. I feel like the "we've got no vetting" narrative goes unopposed, but I'm not sure what's giving me that idea.

EDIT: Let me expand a bit on this. This could be my personal bubble, but even my Democrat voting coworkers seem to think we don't do any real vetting. I see Trump and his thralls bring it up all the time, and get very little pushback for it, if any. It has given me a sense that the "no vetting" narrative is winning, despite being objectively false.
Probably because "all or nothing" is how EVERY issue is framed by the Right and it does, largely, soak in to the point where every conversation on every topic has to begin with "Of course I don't want to take ALL guns/kill EVERY baby/have NO vetting/let ALL black people go unshot etc etc etc". The Wingnut Media machine has a singular vision while the Left has too many divisions to respond succinctly. When you have 34 sources shouting "The Libtards want to ban ALL guns!!" and 435 versions of what the plan actually is/should be in response well, the louder one is going to be prevalent.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Angepain posted:

I like how we've all given up on king possum ever paying attention to the thread or the dates of things and just accepted reposts as a fact of life now.

This looks like an edit, is there an original version of this by someone?

<right clicks>
<chooses Search Image on TinEye>
<0.7 seconds pass>

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

bencreateddisco posted:

thank god they're sugar free

Well of course. Libtard tears are already sooooo sweet, sugar is just unnecessary

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

I bought this on a t-shirt after another poster shared a link. It's bad rear end.

Bald Stalin fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Feb 9, 2017

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Jay Rust posted:

Sequel to this cartoon:

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Should I be concerned about the high alkalinity

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

RoboRodent posted:

Kirschen should be encouraged to make all the dad-jokes he wants about Jewish holidays and how confusing technology is. It's the least offensive thing he does. :colbert:

Is whoever's holding the "Soros paid me to protest" sign also crying? I get that "paid protestors" is a conspiracy theory and that therefore Dees believes in it wholeheartedly, but it doesn't really fit with the rest of the cartoon.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

Refreshingly direct for Dees. He must have been lucid

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I don't care for Erdogan but how is Turkey not a democracy? Are they still crowing about the threat of a Kemalist coup? Because that hasn't been a thing for quite some time. Even the false flag "coups" are presented as Radical Islam as opposed to Kemalism.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

RoboRodent posted:

i mean it's a holiday i never knew about, and learning is cool, so thanks kirschen, now wait 5 minutes for this information to leave my brain

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

Shbobdb posted:

I don't care for Erdogan but how is Turkey not a democracy? Are they still crowing about the threat of a Kemalist coup? Because that hasn't been a thing for quite some time. Even the false flag "coups" are presented as Radical Islam as opposed to Kemalism.

The slow insidious creep of increased executive power is hollowing out Turkish democracy.

Last I heard the army was pretty chill with Erdogan, and the new bogeyman is the Gulenist movement.

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

So not actually a comic, but apparently J.J. McCullough wrote a WaPo column on the Quebec City shootings that got the Quebec parliament super miffed.

http://montrealgazette.com/news/que...ince-as-violent

quote:

QUEBEC — The Quebec government plans to formally complain to the Washington Post about a column written by a Canadian portraying Quebec as a violent society.

International Affairs Minister Christine St-Pierre confirmed Wednesday she will act on a motion adopted by the National Assembly calling on the government to defend Quebec’s reputation and seek to have comments made by Vancouver columnist J.J. McCullough in the wake of the Quebec City mosque shootings rectified.

McCullough’s commentary, titled “Why does ‘progressive’ Quebec have so many massacres?” appeared in the Feb. 1 edition of the prestigious Washington Post. In the piece, McCullough argues Quebec has a “disproportionate share of the country’s massacres,” but to say so is taboo in a province that considers itself a marvellous place.

Presented by Verchères MNA Stéphane Bergeron, a Parti Québécois politician, the motion sailed through the house with unanimous support, including Premier Philippe Couillard and all the opposition leaders.

The vote was 112 for, zero against.

“We are in the process of drafting a note,” St-Pierre told reporters later. “Initially, we didn’t want to give this man any publicity because the comments are upsetting.

“But after reflection and seeing the PQ motion, we will write to the editor-in-chief of the Washington Post. We’ll see if they publish it.”

The motion officially asks the government to “rectify the comments made against the Quebec people by a Vancouver columnist,” and that the legislature “support all initiatives taken by the government of Quebec to defend Quebec’s reputation internationally.”

St-Pierre said she understands the column is the opinion of McCullough and not the paper.

But she noted an editorial on the same day in the New York Times praised Quebec’s efforts to preach tolerance and understanding in the wake of the Jan. 29 shooting that left six dead.

“I don’t want to go into the details of what he said, but I want to say, simply, that we were angered to see he really does not understand Quebec. But I don’t want to give him publicity.

“You just can’t take such shortcuts and say because of this there is that. I don’t even want to respond to what he wrote because it’s so beneath everything.”

The column while it's still up:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/global-opinions/wp/2017/02/01/why-does-progressive-quebec-have-so-many-massacres/

quote:

As Canadian politicians and journalists scramble for tidy, ideologically pleasing narratives in the wake of this week’s senseless slaughter at a Quebec City mosque, one disturbing fact has gone conspicuously unmentioned: A disproportionate share of the country’s massacres occur in the province of Quebec.

I was born in 1984. Since then, Quebec has experienced at least six high-profile episodes of attempted public mass murder.

On the morning of May 8, 1984, Denis Lortie walked into the Quebec provincial legislature carrying multiple weapons and opened fire, shooting 16 people, three fatally. Only his ignorance of the parliamentary timetable (few politicians were sitting at that hour) and the heroism of René Marc Jalbert, the sergeant-at-arms, prevented greater slaughter.

Five years later, on Dec. 6, 1989, a 25-year-old misogynist named Marc Lépine strolled methodically through the classrooms of Quebec’s École Polytechnique de Montréal, a rifle in his arms, and murdered 13 female students and a school employee and injured 14 others before committing suicide. The incident is commemorated annually across Canada as a case study in violence against women.

Three years after that, on Aug. 24, 1992, disgruntled Soviet-born assistant professor Valery Fabrikant shot and killed four of his colleagues with a handgun at Montreal’s Concordia University. Fourteen years after that, yet another Quebec school became the setting for a bloodbath when, on Sept. 13, 2006, 25-year-old Kimveer Gill roamed the halls of Dawson College in a black trench coat and shot 17 students, killing one.

On the evening of Quebec’s 2012 provincial election, a Anglo-Quebecer named Richard Henry Bain attempted to assassinate the province’s newly elected secessionist premier, Pauline Marois, at a victory rally along with — in his words — “as many separatists as I could.” A jammed rifle ultimately resulted in only two casualties, stagehands Denis Blanchette, who was killed, and Dave Courage, who was wounded by the same bullet. It was, declared a judge, an attempt to use violence “to change the results of the election and the course of history.”

And now we have the Quebec City mosque massacre of 2017, in which as many as 25 Muslim men were shot, six (so far) fatally, by Alexandre Bissonnette, as they bowed for evening prayers. Bissonnette’s motives are still unknown, but early speculation centers around allegations of Islamophobic activity on social media. His Facebook likes include popular Quebec political parties such as the separatist Parti Quebecois and New Democratic Party of Canada.

In short, my lifetime has overlapped with at least one spectacular act of Quebec public violence every five years or so. No other province can claim the same.

French-speaking Quebec is often held up (and certainly holds itself up) as Canada’s most essential region, home to a precious set of particularities that help make Canada the marvelous place it is. On such issues as postsecondary education, child care and (ironically enough) gun control, progressive Canadians laud its social-democratic policies as moral exemplars, and the province has played an outsize role in pushing Canadian politics to the left.

Criticism of Quebec, meanwhile, is deeply taboo. In a 2006 essay, Globe and Mail columnist Jan Wong posited a theory that Quebec’s various lone nuts, many of whom were not of pure French-Canadian stock, were predictably alienated from a province that places such a high premium on cultural conformity. She was denounced by a unanimous vote in the Canadian Parliament and sank into a career-ruining depression. The current events magazine Maclean’s ran a cover story in 2010 arguing that Quebec, where old-fashioned mafia collusion between government contractors, unions and politicians is still common, was easily “the most corrupt province in Canada.” That, too, was denounced by a unanimous vote of Parliament.

Privately, English Canadians are far less defensive. They grumble about Quebec’s dark history of anti-Semitism, religious bigotry and pro-fascist sentiment, facts which are rarely included in otherwise self-flagellating official narratives of Canadian history. They complain about the exaggerated deference the province gets from Ottawa as a “distinct society” and “nation-within-a-nation,” and its various French-supremacist language and assimilation laws, which they blame for creating a place that’s inhospitable, arrogant and, yes, noticeably more racist than the Canadian norm. And now, they have good reason to observe that the province seems to produce an awful lot of lunatics prone to public massacres, who often explicitly justify their violence with arguments of dissatisfaction towards Quebec’s unique culture.

The mosque shooting has been quickly politicized by the Canadian left who have seized upon its useful victims to say the sort of things they were going to say anyway: Canada is both a wicked Islamophobic place that must check its various privileges and a multicultural utopia whose pride and empathy for its Muslim community knows no bounds. Rather than drag the entire country along for this tendentious ride, it might be more useful to narrow the focus.

SO that's what one of our old thread regulars has been up to.

JMolen
Mar 16, 2014

I don't know why but I sort of expected DDEES to be better than this.
He strkes me more as someone who just wants to warn the world about the various perceived dangers to America that he truly believes in.
And less the sneering Alt-right types he's emulating here.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Is it really that much of a surprise that a guy who's constantly going on with warnings about THE JEWS fell in line with poorly rebranded Nazis?

Sandpuppy
Jun 16, 2012

Social Abscess
of the
Universe

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Lord Hydronium posted:

The problem with using "they are vetted" as a main argument is that you're implicitly conceding the idea that the issue is really about vetting. You could give every immigrant sodium pentathol and put them on the rack and the conservative argument would still be that we aren't vetting hard enough. Because they don't actually care about vetting, they want a ban on immigration and will use anything as an excuse. Anything you do short of a ban will just be met with "it's not good enough", so the best strategy is to skip around that whole line of distraction and just strike at the heart of the matter, which is that immigration is a net good and we're America, dammit, Statue of Liberty, melting pot and all the rest.

It's like torture. You can argue that torture doesn't work, and it's true, but relying on that as your main argument is conceding the idea that efficacy is the primary problem with it (and not that, you know, it's barbaric). It's best used as a supporting point, because it's not really what the argument is or should be about.

This is, non-coincidentally, the exact response most conservatives use when confronted with the fact that vetting occurs- vet them harder, extreme vetting. It's not about vetting, it's about deeply rooted fear of an Other. It's why the Trump administration has so many different versions of what it wants to do to Muslims-it appeals to all depths and forms of that fear.

When I hear extreme vetting, I picture a person in a white labcoat pilling a cat. On a skateboard.

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
Thank you for calling out the little-known 4th branch of government, Saturday Night Live, for its lack of oversight.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

This seems like one of the lazier Dees.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

U mad, bro? Mmm mm, those are some delicious conservetive tears :smug:

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Heh Libtard tears yum yum

OH NO STOP MAKING FUN OF ME STOP IT STOP IT REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
:siren: CARE CONTAINMENT FAILURE ON SECTOR... PAYNE. :siren: EXTREME LEVELS OF MAD DETECTED :siren: THIS IS NOT A DRILL :siren:

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010

Everyone in the cartoon looks happy, though?

Satire is funny and good for America.

:unsmith:

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Steve Bell on Theresa May, Surrey council and social care – Jeremy Corbyn produced text messages at PMQs that he claimed showed ministers were prepared to offer a sweetheart deal to Surrey council to avoid a local referendum on raising taxes to fund social care"

Telegraph:

Brexit vote: Theresa May wins Commons approval to trigger Article 50 as Labour's Clive Lewis resigns

Independent:

Times:

Mail:
MAC ON... Donald Trump

'I believe it was a suggestion from Donald Trump'

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Figures he'd think their portrayal of Clinton was positive.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

I agree, SNL was severely lacking in skits where Obama drives by people with a snooty look.

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

:shittypop:

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Wait, I thought Dees was anti-Trump now because he's a Jewish puppet or something?

Or did I misread a few of his other crazy collages?

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Pants Donkey posted:

Should I be concerned about the high alkalinity

This is apparently a selling point. People believe it balances out your stomach acid or something.

Edible Hat
Jul 23, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
How could one satirize Obama? What angle could you possibly take?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this
"Wireless fun-adaptor" you were speaking of.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Wait, I thought Dees was anti-Trump now because he's a Jewish puppet or something?

Or did I misread a few of his other crazy collages?

He has NO coherent views, he has problems in the brains

• Locked thread