Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

skit herre posted:

drat, this game is pretty rad. And I haven't even done anything other than fighting bots.

I spent the whole closed beta fighting bots 1v1 and had an amazing time. Finally starting to branch out into PvP but the bots are actually fun to fight in this game. Plus you still get xp from it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

My advice is to duel bots until you can parry and counter guard break on reaction.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
Alternatively, go ahead and play some pvp and don't worry about other players' skills. You'll get good players who will wreck you and you'll get people who are just as new as you are. Win or lose doesn't matter -- heck, I don't think it has much of an affect on anything at this point except for helping the game figure out who it should prioritize matchmaking you with.

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

It's just much more fun to rekt than to be rekt.

Av027
Aug 27, 2003
Qowned.

Chomp8645 posted:

A player MAY switch factions during a season, but this incurs a currently undefined penalty when reward time comes at the end of the season.

I'm fairly certain that I saw a notation in the menus about swapping factions making you ineligible for season rewards. That of course may or may not be the case when the game goes live, but I'm pretty sure I saw it under the profile section, where the option to edit your standard and change your faction resides. I haven't checked it since open beta went live, so this may not be the case anymore. Good info otherwise.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

You'll learn more, quicker, from level 2 bots than you will from new players, but I understand most people will probably want to just hop in and chop some heads online because it's more fun. Just depends on what kind of person you are I guess.

If you want to smoke weed, play Dominion, and throw people off ledges all match while pelvic thrusting then by god you should do it. Because it's hilarious and fun.

2 SPOOKY
Sep 9, 2010

Always Be Alert!

Trillhouse posted:

You'll learn more, quicker, from level 2 bots than you will from new players, but I understand most people will probably want to just hop in and chop some heads online because it's more fun. Just depends on what kind of person you are I guess.

If you want to smoke weed, play Dominion, and throw people off ledges all match while pelvic thrusting then by god you should do it. Because it's hilarious and fun.

This goon gets it.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Hm apparently there never was any peacekeeper bleed nerf in the first place? I know I read patch notes saying it was down by like 75% but no :shrug:

YouSpoonyBard
May 10, 2007
You Killed Anna!

Trillhouse posted:

Do the tutorial, then the advanced tutorial, then the bots. The game is pretty good about teaching you everything you need to know and explaining how to do it. Thankfully it's a lot more comprehensive than "here's your move set and a training dummy that doesn't move. Good luck!"

The level 2 bots basically mimic a moderately skilled player that knows their fighter's moves, strengths, and weaknesses. I'm a fighting game novice and barely played multiplayer until I could win most of my bot 2 games. I was surprised at how much easier the other players were after that. Especially in dominion.

The nice thing about For Honor is that if there's an easy to execute cheese move that keeps beating you, there's probably an equally easy and simple way to counter it. So if anyone in this thread is having trouble with guard break spam or some other one note strategy, please, please, please ask here and we can point you in the right direction. It's a fun game but until it "clicks" it can be extremely frustrating with lots of cheap feeling deaths.

Also make sure you dig into the Moveset for each character, there are unique mechanics to each class. For example, the Warlord is able to do parry with RS+RB that allows for an instant light attack trade. Understanding and mastering these things will make you that much more effective :)

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Hm apparently there never was any peacekeeper bleed nerf in the first place? I know I read patch notes saying it was down by like 75% but no :shrug:

I'm hearing it was a bug for the live stream yesterday. Which is a loving bummer and I know if I get matches against a Ubisoft person I'm picking PK and spamming that move while taunting them.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Peer to Peer with this game seems like a huge mistake. The host advantage was noticeable immediately.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
None of the video tutorials show how to perform the "grab guy and toss him" move with the warden as seen in this vid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubN8qYjXZ2s

how :(

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Zzulu posted:

None of the video tutorials show how to perform the "grab guy and toss him" move with the warden as seen in this vid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubN8qYjXZ2s

how :(

That's the throw, you get it in the first tutorial. Guardbreak once to stun them, them immediately guardbreak them again to throw them. Press your movement key into whatever direction you want to throw them.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Yeah.

Uninstalled.

Peer to Peer does not work for twitch games.

Good idea, maybe Ubisoft will not be poo poo one day and host some servers.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
:siren: I made a loving Discord for you fuckers to join :siren:

Playing solo is boring.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Xae posted:

Peer to Peer with this game seems like a huge mistake. The host advantage was noticeable immediately.

Xae posted:

Yeah.

Uninstalled.

Looks like the reddit parrots who have no idea what they're talking about have finally made their way into this thread. I assume you've never played a single online fighting game?

edit: oh nevermind, its just one guy deciding he needed two posts on the same page to bitch about one issue.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
For Honor beta up? Oh cool I'll-

can't login to uplay :(

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Benson Cunningham posted:

For Honor beta up? Oh cool I'll-

can't login to uplay :(

Yeah their servers are getting hosed

this is super dumb Ubisoft. JUST USE loving STEAM.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

this game needs an 8 way free for all mode

panda clue
May 23, 2014
if only they had done a beta to test server load issues before launch

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

panda clue posted:

if only they had done a beta to test server load issues before launch

This isn't launch, this is a stress test. The previous beta was closed so wasn't a stress test.

Launch is next week. (Servers will probably still suck then though, not enough time to respond to the stress results)

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Can't connect to ubisoft uplay on the PC, but it works fine on PS4 *fart*

2 SPOOKY
Sep 9, 2010

Always Be Alert!

Zaphod42 posted:

This isn't launch, this is a stress test. The previous beta was closed so wasn't a stress test.

Launch is next week. (Servers will probably still suck then though, not enough time to respond to the stress results)

Lol.

I think you might need to work on your sarcasm detection dude.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Perestroika posted:

That's the throw, you get it in the first tutorial. Guardbreak once to stun them, them immediately guardbreak them again to throw them. Press your movement key into whatever direction you want to throw them.

Oh, I didnt hold down a direction so I just kept kicking them :mad:

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Zaphod42 posted:

:thejoke:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

ah *woosh*

Yeah well its still dumb everybody has to have their own service like uPlay and Origin and not just use Steam which is far more robust.

I mean if you wanted to play a game that wasn't For Honor today that was a ubisoft title you'd be up poo poo creek. The fact that its not just the game but their whole service struggling is... bad.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah well its still dumb everybody has to have their own service like uPlay and Origin and not just use Steam which is far more robust.

no argument there

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

Kiffetastic posted:

Man I loved that game so much. I went looking for it years later and couldn't find a trace of it whatsoever, almost like it never existed.

Also this game is hard. If only the Vikings could yell out lines about haggis, my life would be complete. I'm lookin' at you, Die by the Sword.

https://www.gog.com/game/battle_isle_platinum :3:

God drat it this game is so good and I am so bad. Good thing it is very fun even for bad players

panda clue
May 23, 2014

mellowjournalism posted:

Good thing it is very fun even for bad players

This is the best part. I don't think I'm bad, but even when I am getting whooped I'm having fun. Rarely do I feel like a death is due to bullshit; it is almost always due to my own mistakes or inexperience.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Xae posted:

Yeah.

Uninstalled.

pretty sure most fighting games are peer to peer dude

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I thought we were supposed to have 4v4 deathmatch in this beta?

Ah well no biggie. At least I'm in, doing some sword swinging again :)

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Fine Ubisoft the game looks interesting I'll deal with uplay. Gee why was it I was so reluctant to bother? loving companies thinking I want their poo poo when they aren't even on par with steam. (still don't want it, less accounts is better)

panda clue
May 23, 2014

OctaMurk posted:

they are :ssh:

dude probably got into two 1v1s, got manhandled, threw his controller at his TV and screamed "loving ubisoft!!!", and immediately flew over to reddit to figure out how he possibly could have lost

Ah yes, no dedicated servers, that's the one.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

https://www.reddit.com/r/forhonor/comments/5t18mv/qa_on_for_honors_online_system/?st=IYYRZDH0&sh=145f5409

Here's a pretty good read on how the Online System works. Of particular note, they have a system designed to eliminate host advantage by making everyone run a synchronized simulation. This is used in most fighting games nowadays.

Also closed beta had a matchmaking bug where it was matching people from different continents together. They've fixed it for PC but the XB1 and PS4 patches won't be active until release.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

panda clue posted:

they are :ssh:

dude probably got into two 1v1s, got manhandled, threw his controller at his TV and screamed "loving ubisoft!!!", and immediately flew over to reddit to figure out how he possibly could have lost

Ah yes, no dedicated servers, that's the one.

Should we listen to the person who played the game?

No, lets jump on the hype train over a game we haven't played!

The 1v1s work pretty well. But even they have problems if the pings get too high.

The 4v4s go to poo poo really fast when you've got people on 3 different continents. And apparently Uplays matchmaking is poo poo enough where this happens regularly.

OctaMurk posted:

Most of them also have 2 people, not 8.

Despite their Ubisoft's claims that they've finally fixed the issues the results don't show it. I was having flashbacks to Descent on Kali.net. They put in a slop timer but once the pings get outside of the slop timer things go to poo poo.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Xae posted:

Should we listen to the person who played the game?

No, lets jump on the hype train over a game we haven't played!

I played the game for around 16-20 hours in the last closed beta, and only once encountered something even close to approaching what I would call a 'lag issue'.

My experience comes from exclusively playing 1v1, but I know the 4v4 concerns are likely very legitimate. However, most people view this as a 1v1 fighting game first and foremost, and view the 4v4 modes as a fun addon.

If you're looking into buying this for the 4v4 then yeah, sorry - p2p issues suck and probably wont get fixed.

edit: also worth noting my experience comes from playing the PC version

panda clue fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Feb 9, 2017

Av027
Aug 27, 2003
Qowned.

panda clue posted:

I played the game for around 16-20 hours in the last closed beta, and only once encountered something even close to approaching what I would call a 'lag issue'.

Seconded. I've put in a ton of hours through several beta phases, and have had minimal lag issues. You do occasionally get a poo poo host (usually migrates quickly), or ragequit host that forces migration, but lag has been minimal otherwise.

lalaland
Nov 8, 2012
This is a fun game. I took berserker because she had that unwashed barbarian woman appeal and I have no idea what I am doing but flailing wildly and screaming seems to be good enough to take down these bots :v:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I experienced numerous connectivity issues and a lot of disconnect during the closed beta, as did a number of people I played with. Nearly 100% of said problems occured during 4v4. Please keep in mind that just because you personally may not experience problems that doesn't mean that other people aren't!

I haven't had the chance yet to play the open beta though, and I'm very eager to find out if the connection issues are improved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

This game is good and I'll be chopping heads and getting that loot when it comes out soon.

I do wish though that the move sets were a bit more robust, especially on the all-rounder guys like Raider and Warden. Three combos for the Raider is pretty boring, but goddamn I do love being able to pick a dude up and run them into a wall or off a ledge. And whoever suggested to just stick with one character until you can competently hold your own in a duel is simple yet great advice.