Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShinyDais
Sep 5, 2016
The random stat variance in units is nonsense, Fire Emblem built it's self up as a series partly from the potential randomness (always fun to find out who's gonna get a huge stat blessing), but it doesn't have any place in a game like this. It's an almost transparent excuse to make people roll multiple times for the same dang unit.

That being said I'm willing to bet that somewhere down the line they could introduce a mechanic to max out the stats for a unit, like bringing in stat boosters or something. With these new Arena Quests giving decent amounts of Feathers (dunno how much the lunatic quests give, eager to see if it's more than another 2k), it feels like the devs are trying to address early complaints. Of course they could easily have had these quests planned before launch and delayed them to help spur people to whale out or whatever, and the quests aren't a perfect solution since your feather income is still totally dependent on winning in the unreliable Arena, but y'know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taichara
May 9, 2013

c:\>erase c:\reality.sys copy a:\gigacity\*.* c:

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

Real quick I'd just like to say gently caress You to every person on the earth who voted for Roy

Welp, see ya

Your tears are delicious and I look forward to doing it again.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
Roy is good and people who pulled him are going to be happy they did whenever green heavy teams become the meta :colbert:

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

ShinyDais posted:

The random stat variance in units is nonsense, Fire Emblem built it's self up as a series partly from the potential randomness (always fun to find out who's gonna get a huge stat blessing), but it doesn't have any place in a game like this. It's an almost transparent excuse to make people roll multiple times for the same dang unit.

That being said I'm willing to bet that somewhere down the line they could introduce a mechanic to max out the stats for a unit, like bringing in stat boosters or something. With these new Arena Quests giving decent amounts of Feathers (dunno how much the lunatic quests give, eager to see if it's more than another 2k), it feels like the devs are trying to address early complaints. Of course they could easily have had these quests planned before launch and delayed them to help spur people to whale out or whatever, and the quests aren't a perfect solution since your feather income is still totally dependent on winning in the unreliable Arena, but y'know.

The variance is small, I wouldn't get worked up about it.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Mirthless posted:

even beginner pops mostly 30-35+ opponents. A couple of levels is all the difference you need to make an enemy impossible to kill.

Opponent strength is roughly in line with your own team strength.

My starter character account has no problem getting arena wins because it faces similarly poo poo teams.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Mirthless posted:

Roy is good and people who pulled him are going to be happy they did whenever green heavy teams become the meta :colbert:

Roy was my first (and still only) 5* and I like using him. He hits hard which is p. cool, and when things hit him they lose all of their defense so then he hits even harder.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

ShinyDais posted:

Rolling for the same unit multiple times is a core feature of Gacha games. The "Merge Allies" feature will allow us to create a guy more powerful than a base 5-star even with adverse deviation in stat growths.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

sassassin posted:

4 points in the wrong stat could make a character pretty unusable

Taking a big speed hit to a character who can just barely double is a 50% loss in damage. (and way more for people with two round special attacks)

Big hit to attack or defense could be the difference between low damage and an automatic kill

sassassin posted:

Opponent strength is roughly in line with your own team strength.

My starter character account has no problem getting arena wins because it faces similarly poo poo teams.

Oh! That's good to know.

edit: Speaking of good to know, if you guys haven't figured it out yet, sent friend invites count towards your total number of friends so make sure to clear unanswered requests out every once in awhile.

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Feb 9, 2017

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

Yo baby, you ever had your asshole licked by a fat man in an overcoat?
So my current team is 5 star Chrom and Takumi, and 4 star Florina and Raven. Raven is a solid ax user and I was using Arthur before I got him. I know people tend to not like Brave weapons around here but I set him up to tackle any magic/bow user and he usually comes out on top. Only problem is keeping him safe till he can dash in and do the work. I'll probably replace Florina when I get a decent mage unit.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Brave weapons are fine as a solution to effectively trade and reduce each side with their best player gone.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Abel is noteworthy as a Brave weapon user because of also having sword breaker, which makes him absolute nutso for taking out Lyn, Chrom, Marth, Roy, etc. and when paired with a dancer you can pull him out of harm's way easily enough since he's also on a horse.

It's a shame mine has such poo poo defense until later :rip:

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

At the start of the week I was having problems with Intermediate arenas, but today I was just doing fine in them even with a 2-3 level advantage. So don't get discouraged with those arena quests. Once you have found a solid team and got a feeling for what the AI plays like it'll work out.

My Azama is definitely struggling now that he no longer has an level advantage tho. I think he's been in a sacrificial lamb in every arena match today. Definitely some room for improvement there.

ShinyDais
Sep 5, 2016

sassassin posted:

You're absolutely right that it's not worth getting worked up about (I'm going to blame my fever for coming off as being bent out of shape, apologies), but also like Mirthless said the variance can significantly affect the unit.

Reik posted:

Rolling for the same unit multiple times is a core feature of Gacha games. The "Merge Allies" feature will allow us to create a guy more powerful than a base 5-star even with adverse deviation in stat growths.

And this is fair, it's a cellphone Gacha game and I need to remember that it's pretty much always going to be limited by that. I was mostly just trying (and failing, yes) to say that I'm optimistic that there will be more features in the future that address some of the weaknesses of the game.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
So I got a second 5* Lyn. I guess you can't merge them? So either I can make Team Lyn or send her home for 1k feathers, right?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

ChiTownEddie posted:

So I got a second 5* Lyn. I guess you can't merge them? So either I can make Team Lyn or send her home for 1k feathers, right?

Level both to max to see which ones stats are most "significant".

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

ChiTownEddie posted:

You can merge, the UI is just weird.

Holy poo poo do the 4* starters feel more powerful even just at the low level stratums. They are blowing poo poo up that required thought when starting them out at 2*. May have to try making a team out of these 3 + Azama in the 30s - so many buffs.

Nephzinho fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Feb 9, 2017

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
You have to unfavorite one of them, 4* and 5* heroes are automatically favorited so you can't get rid of them.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
...That is really dumb.
@sassassin haha I should do that before I merge...

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

If the auto-favoriting bugs you, you can turn it off in the menu

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Leveling anything with Takumi in your party is such a chore because he literally kills everything that attacks him

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Paul Zuvella posted:

Leveling anything with Takumi in your party is such a chore because he literally kills everything that attacks him

I keep a level 35 Azama in my party with no attack spell for leveling anything below 30 -- you can use him as bait while you pick things apart. Works with any higher leveled healer.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I shouldn't have fielded two armored units while training...

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Nephzinho posted:

I keep a level 35 Azama in my party with no attack spell for leveling anything below 30 -- you can use him as bait while you pick things apart. Works with any higher leveled healer.

I do the same except I carry pain so that I can reduce everything down to 1hp and let me newbies pick up easy exp.

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics
Got to the point where not having any red units was hurting me, so I dropped two full pulls in the hopes of picking up Lyn. No five stars, but I did grab 4* Henry, Fae, Tiki, Ogma, Arthur, Draug, Setsuna, and a 3* Azama (I also had no healers). It's gonna be a hard choice who gets promoted to 5* once I hit 20k feathers.

Much as I'd like Lyn or any other 5*, I got what I needed so I'm gonna call it quits on his banner and resume hoarding for the next one.

RobotRob
Aug 7, 2007

Let's get weird, but not end of BSG weird.
Are there any good general starting guides floating around for team building or basic movement strategy, etc?

I just picked this up yesterday and it seems pretty fun but I have no idea what I'm really doing. Like should I be trying to roll for certain colors to balance out my team? I didn't realize that you should roll 20 orbs at once so you can save orbs overall so I rolled mine mostly individually since I was trying out the different groups to roll from.

I know this is still a relatively new game so there probably aren't a whole lot of resources out there but just wanted to see what was available.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Mierenneuker posted:

lol owned

that's what you get for fielding knights

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

robbob posted:

Are there any good general starting guides floating around for team building or basic movement strategy, etc?

I just picked this up yesterday and it seems pretty fun but I have no idea what I'm really doing. Like should I be trying to roll for certain colors to balance out my team? I didn't realize that you should roll 20 orbs at once so you can save orbs overall so I rolled mine mostly individually since I was trying out the different groups to roll from.

I know this is still a relatively new game so there probably aren't a whole lot of resources out there but just wanted to see what was available.

You should see if any of the characters you got were 5 stars, and if they aren't, you should delete/reinstall the game and try again until you have one
You won't have a problem with movement; you'll figure it out almost immediately

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics

robbob posted:

Color balancing didn't matter to me until 9-5 on hard mode. Don't sweat it for now, and by the time it's important, hopefully you'll have enough units at your disposal you'll be alright.

If you lost out on your free pull and you didn't get any 5*s, I'd suggest re-rolling. Not super important though, especially if you're happy with your team.

RobotRob
Aug 7, 2007

Oil of Paris posted:

You should see if any of the characters you got were 5 stars, and if they aren't, you should delete/reinstall the game and try again until you have one
You won't have a problem with movement; you'll figure it out almost immediately

Yeah I did check that. I think I've rolled about 4 times so far. Got 2 3 stars that I don't remember, Draug who was a 4 star I think and then Takumi which is a 5 star. I was just wondering if there were any good ways to position your units to make it difficult for people to get to your archers or things like that. I've played a lot of puzzle and dragons and the team building aspect of that game is something I've always enjoyed but the actual game play here is completely different so it's something I'm adjusting to.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Mierenneuker posted:

That looks completely winnable to me. What's the problem here?

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics

robbob posted:

Yeah I did check that. I think I've rolled about 4 times so far. Got 2 3 stars that I don't remember, Draug who was a 4 star I think and then Takumi which is a 5 star. I was just wondering if there were any good ways to position your units to make it difficult for people to get to your archers or things like that. I've played a lot of puzzle and dragons and the team building aspect of that game is something I've always enjoyed but the actual game play here is completely different so it's something I'm adjusting to.

you're set

In terms of unit positioning, a lot of it is knowing the attack and counterattack distances for the different weapon types and making use of the terrain you're in. Say you're fighting a melee unit; put your own melee unit in front and an archer behind them, and then the enemy won't be able to hit the archer without moving. It seems like for the most part, once an enemy ai is engaged with one of your units, it won't move and switch targets.

If you have a flying unit, you can hide them in terrain other unit types can't traverse, then bust them out for cheap kills.

There is a 'danger zone' button that lets you see which squares on the map you'll be hit on if you stand on them.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

ChronoReverse posted:

That looks completely winnable to me. What's the problem here?

The problem is that Effie is really good against the two red units on the left side, but it is impossible for her to get to them because Sheena is blocking the path (who is weak to both red units). Meanwhile Effie is stuck facing a green mage who would destroy her if it gets into range. Winnable yes, but an absolute mess of a starting position.

RobotRob
Aug 7, 2007

PhysicsFrenzy posted:

you're set

In terms of unit positioning, a lot of it is knowing the attack and counterattack distances for the different weapon types and making use of the terrain you're in. Say you're fighting a melee unit; put your own melee unit in front and an archer behind them, and then the enemy won't be able to hit the archer without moving. It seems like for the most part, once an enemy ai is engaged with one of your units, it won't move and switch targets.

If you have a flying unit, you can hide them in terrain other unit types can't traverse, then bust them out for cheap kills.

There is a 'danger zone' button that lets you see which squares on the map you'll be hit on if you stand on them.

Ok that helps a lot and makes sense. I probably just need to play it more so I can get used to the UI and what everything is.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Does anyone know if Azama picks up any good skills going from 3* to 4*? Leveling a healer is a serious pain, and it seems heals are all fixed amounts anyway, so the only benefit would be maybe a point or 2 of HP/Def/Res if there are no good skills there for a huge stamina/feather cost.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Nephzinho posted:

Does anyone know if Azama picks up any good skills going from 3* to 4*? Leveling a healer is a serious pain, and it seems heals are all fixed amounts anyway, so the only benefit would be maybe a point or 2 of HP/Def/Res if there are no good skills there for a huge stamina/feather cost.

You can just go to their page and look at their skill list. It list which ability is tiered by star level if you're below it.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

KnoxZone posted:

The problem is that Effie is really good against the two red units on the left side, but it is impossible for her to get to them because Sheena is blocking the path (who is weak to both red units). Meanwhile Effie is stuck facing a green mage who would destroy her if it gets into range. Winnable yes, but an absolute mess of a starting position.

Move everyone right.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

the most baffling thing about this game to me is that it doesn't have a preparation stage

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Tae posted:

You can just go to their page and look at their skill list. It list which ability is tiered by star level if you're below it.

Isn't it really inconsistent on displaying or am I looking in the wrong space? I've seen a few where it says it won't learn until 5*, but at the same time as I have been upgrading Anna/Alfonse/Shareena they just have new skills pop up.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Nephzinho posted:

Isn't it really inconsistent on displaying or am I looking in the wrong space? I've seen a few where it says it won't learn until 5*, but at the same time as I have been upgrading Anna/Alfonse/Shareena they just have new skills pop up.

If you long-press on them and check the skill list you can see everything, if you go through Lean Skills, you can only see stuff you can get immediately, including after you pick up a prereq.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

KnoxZone posted:

One side is on horses, the other side is not. Go and wipe the horses then face the infantry. The map kindly pre-divides the enemy forces for you.

I mean, you even have Roy. So move him above Sheena, your blue mage up one space, Effie into that slot and then Sheena to the right. Now nobody takes a counter-triangle hit and then next turn you're all set to wreck the right side. Just shove Sheena to the right using Roy before she moves and she'll even be able to land a hit on the green mage along with your red mage. Roy will take a hit from the blue pegasus knight but it shouldn't finish him. After that it's just mop-up.

ChronoReverse fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Feb 9, 2017