Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷

shacked up with Brenda posted:

I once participated in a scramble that started frozen (looking), and rapidly turned into this. My Trelliborgs are 9 years old, and all the damage on them came from that race.

Did some snow motos on Sunday morning. It was horrific, but engaging in a 30 minute tank slapper is a good upper body workout.

I remember you rode all winter on studded tires, crazy they last that long. Are you running a steering stabilizer? I really need one, but I've made it this far...

Content:
WORCS is crazy: https://www.facebook.com/worcsracing/videos/1301123163267581/

GI Joe jobs fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jan 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Gullous posted:

I remember you rode all winter on studded tires, crazy they last that long. Are you running a steering stabilizer? I really need one, but I've made it this far...

Content:
WORCS is crazy: https://www.facebook.com/worcsracing/videos/1301123163267581/

I've never run a stabilizer, but I've never really thought I needed one. Riding in these conditions was just an expression of boredom, it was utter Shiite.

I don't think I'd ever do a step down like that. All my biggest oh-poo poo moments on moto tracks come from step downs. Ugh.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷

https://www.facebook.com/seattime/photos/a.174606755908718.30977.164915550211172/1243164912386225/?type=3&theater

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

What an awesome shot that is.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

It was warm, so we grooved in one of our snow tracks deeeep

https://www.facebook.com/gfhewitt/videos/10102831528286480/

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Going to the pine barrens in NJ tomorrow for my first time off-roading. I put some MT-21s on the WR250R.

Any general tips/advice? I know that faster is better in sand but thats about all I've heard.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Partial Octopus posted:

Going to the pine barrens in NJ tomorrow for my first time off-roading. I put some MT-21s on the WR250R.

Any general tips/advice? I know that faster is better in sand but thats about all I've heard.

Pine barrens are great. There are tons of options for different riding down there. Lean back, steer like a boat using your rear wheel. Example: tilt left + throttle will make you turn left. Deep Pine barrens sand is ridiculous compared to other sand so be aware that most sand is a lot easier than that nonsense. Looks like you were posting last night so you're probably in the thick of it now. Good luck! At least falling in sand doesn't hurt much.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Partial Octopus posted:

Sandy Lane Enduro was my first real test of "get me out of here god jesus" on a dirtbike. Enjoy?

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Anyone tried the Midwest mountain engineering clutch lever? I just put it on and it's not quite the magic I'd hoped for. Does seem to reduce pull a little but not *that* much. I still need to adjust it a little so that pull engages the clutch in the proper position but I don't think that should change the pull required and was wondering if anyone else had tried one before.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Never heard of it. The site appears to also sell herbalife supplements, so they aren't against selling bullshit. Return it - don't see why it'd be appreciably better than a stock lever.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

n8r posted:

Never heard of it. The site appears to also sell herbalife supplements, so they aren't against selling bullshit. Return it - don't see why it'd be appreciably better than a stock lever.

Yeah, don't disagree on the Herbalife, but...

It's just changing mechanics so engagement is spread across the whole lever pull.

And slavens sells them http://slavensracing.com/shop/clever-ez-pull-clutch-levers-by-midwest-mountain/
And the Australian has reviewed them. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=U_wxlOLAm3g
ThumperTalk seems to like them. https://www.thumpertalk.com/forums/topic/1037260-midwest-mountain-engineering-clutch-levers/

So I think they're probably a real thing.

E: I'll adjust it properly tomorrow and see if that makes a difference. Clutch pull is already pretty light, but I'm chasing the stupid end of things and trying to get like mtb brakes light.

Fwiw, it's very nicely made although it's just a clutch lever and some rods and bushings. It comes pre-greased which I always appreciate. We'll see if it's going back after I dial it in.

builds character fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Feb 4, 2017

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

If you want an easier clutch pull, get a hydraulic clutch - I believe there are aftermarket retrofit kits.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

n8r posted:

If you want an easier clutch pull, get a hydraulic clutch - I believe there are aftermarket retrofit kits.

This is an excellent suggestion, but it already comes with a hydraulic clutch. It's definitely night and day from a cable clutch and I'm thinking maybe the reason I don't notice as much of a difference is I haven't had a chance to get used to the hydraulic clutch and how easy it is (say it's 10n to pull cable and hydraulic is 2 and then this reduces it to 1.5, that's a big difference but wouldn't feel like it).

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

I bought a full complement of pro-taper levers (and clutch perch) with my yz250x because unlike ktm's, on the yamaha they aren't adjustable. I like to run my levers really close to the bar and super twitchy for one finger action. The clutch side of things claims to make the pull easier. I can't tell.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Today I bought a 2011 CRF250R. I'm so drat excited to do a lot of routine maintenance

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

T-Square posted:

Today I bought a 2011 CRF250R. I'm so drat excited to do a lot of routine maintenance

The ol' valve droppers. Great bikes, just keep on top of it and it'll be tons of fun. Where you ridin'?

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

holy poo poo that went as well as it possibly could have

7/10 for no gif of the dude head butting the jeep driver though

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Jesus.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
What is the protocol for situations like that? It's a blind jump, and they were a good bit away. Is there something they should have known to stay away?

If I were the jeep guy, I'd keep that dented hood as a momento.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

They all look like loving knobs for various reasons, but if you're doing jumps like that without a spotter, gently caress you. I don't even ride dunes, but everything I've learned about them from youtube and gifs adds up to "use a flag and a spotter, rear end in a top hat."

T-Square
May 14, 2009

shacked up with Brenda posted:

The ol' valve droppers. Great bikes, just keep on top of it and it'll be tons of fun. Where you ridin'?

There's a place about an hour north that used to be trails when I grew up riding, and it's a really nice public MX track now. There's another MX track about an hour south that I also want to check out. I'm mostly excited to gently caress around on my friend's family's farm though. Also, it will probably get 17" wheels and street tires at some point for go-kart track shenanigans, and it will definitely get a set of studded ice tires for next winter.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Here's the video of that jump. Spotter failed them big time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiYHtCK3bpA

EDIT to avoid a double post, here's my first trial ride. I've done fire roads before this on the SM610, but never single track like this. It was a blast and the bike didn't feel nearly as heavy until it was time to try to pick it up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ui5SIN6acDY

Slim Pickens fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Feb 8, 2017

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Doonz are an idiot honeypot. In the states everyone is supposed to run flags which may or may not have helped.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Slim Pickens posted:

Here's the video of that jump. Spotter failed them big time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiYHtCK3bpA

EDIT to avoid a double post, here's my first trial ride. I've done fire roads before this on the SM610, but never single track like this. It was a blast and the bike didn't feel nearly as heavy until it was time to try to pick it up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ui5SIN6acDY

That's great. I was just there over Christmas and there's some nice riding up there. Is your video sped up?

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
No, it might just be the 60fps playing tricks with your eyes?

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Slim Pickens posted:

No, it might just be the 60fps playing tricks with your eyes?

Yeah, turns out it was just my phone. Looks fine on desktop.

Have you been to Tahuya or the new place that just opened up?

builds character fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Feb 8, 2017

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Nope, that was my first trail. I'll try to get out to tahuya before the sumo wheels go back on, though

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

what's the new place that just opened up?

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

GriszledMelkaba posted:

what's the new place that just opened up?

http://www.kitsapsun.com/story/sports/outdoors/2016/12/28/trails-dreams-comes-fruition/95773440/

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Wow I had no idea! Road trip

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
I am really looking forward to actually riding dirt in Washington this year. Still gotta rebuild my 125 but I foresee a lot of good crashes in my future.

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

Kitsap Sun posted:

a downloadable GPS property map for smartphones to use while riding

Whoa neat. I'd pay a dude for that

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
Keeping trail maps accurate is the real hurdle with that idea, especially in logging country.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm down for Shelton. Lemme know when you go and I'll try to keep up

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Hello there, I'm selling my car online and a potential buyer has offered me a 2002 Honda XR80R.

I'm asking $600 for a pretty clapped-out vehicle (that I had been considering scrapping) and the bike needs a new sproket, chain, and clutch lever. I have not seen the bike in person either. I also know just about gently caress all about dirt bikes so I've come here to ask the people of Cycle Asylum if this is a good trade.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Do you want a dirt bike?

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Not really, but I thought maybe I could fix it for a couple hundred bucks and sling it to someone else because this region is mostly rural. It fell through anyways, the guy sent me some pictures and it looked beaten to hell and missing more than he said.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
XR 80s are children bikes. Not really rideable offroad by an adult unless you're just loving around. They're also not really worth that much and I wouldn't take one for straight up value to value trade if you don't have a need for it.

It would probably be a lot easier to get 600 bucks for a car than 600 bucks for an XR 80

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Agreed. You'd be lucky to get $600 for that xr80 after fixing it up.

The SM610 sale is going interesting. One dude offered to trade a miata with 100k on it, another wants to trade a CR500 plus $1500, and one dude is driving up to Seattle from Salem today to check it out. I'm asking $4600 for it, which can probably only go towards sumo-ing one bike.