Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011

ChickenWing posted:

Stellaris: Something very bad is going to happen here.

Beaten to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
So, if you only eat shroom people and plantoids, does that mean you are a vegetarian?

Or is that just healthy living?

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Tarquinn posted:

So, if you only eat shroom people and plantoids, does that mean you are a vegetarian?

Or is that just healthy living?

Eating plantoids is canonically vegan in Stellaris.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

GunnerJ posted:

Apparently Observation Stations have a new "Indoctrinate" button...

Ahahahahayessss... :unsmigghh: Now this is proper uplifting!

Wiz posted:

Even better!

Man, this update's going to be so good for playing Space Hitler.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Wiz posted:

I want a "balanced diet" achievement for eating one of every phenotype in the same game.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Wiz posted:

You've gone mad with (creative) power

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
Also this dev diary was dope as poo poo. I'm going to be buying this bad rear end DLC the moment it comes out.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Wiz posted:

Technically it's all about the ability to suffer without consent, not their type of biology. A consenting human could make cannibalism vegan, breast milk would be vegan. Honey isn't vegan because the bees didn't consent to have the fruits of their labour stolen by MEN WITH (smoke) GUNS. Honey is theft, and slavery. Intelligent plant people, not vegan unless they give their express consent.

They'd certainly be vegetarian though because that only concerns its self with plant vs vegetable matter , nothing about intelligence or consent.

Kitchner posted:

Also this dev diary was dope as poo poo. I'm going to be buying this bad rear end DLC the moment it comes out.

gently caress you I'm going to buy it BEFORE it comes out!!

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
Not if I buy it first.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Baronjutter posted:

Technically it's all about the ability to suffer without consent, not their type of biology. A consenting human could make cannibalism vegan, breast milk would be vegan. Honey isn't vegan because the bees didn't consent to have the fruits of their labour stolen by MEN WITH (smoke) GUNS. Honey is theft, and slavery. Intelligent plant people, not vegan unless they give their express consent.

They'd certainly be vegetarian though because that only concerns its self with plant vs vegetable matter , nothing about intelligence or consent.
it's not difficult to get consent from xenos. just make the alternatives even worse.

if that doesn't sound like consent to you then i'll need to refer you to a re-education retreat, FRIEND.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Kitchner posted:

Not if I buy it first.

my uncle works at stellaris and he let me play the game before it comes out and there's a race of pikablu

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

https://twitter.com/dmoregard/status/829745856689610753

Well, how about that.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

I forget, since it's been a while since I've played the game (because the bank update got announced so early), but can you terraform tomb worlds?

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Nuke from orbit sounds like my kind of thing. Hopefully you can scour all of the foul aliens from the surface without having to touch their unclean soil.

Back Hack posted:

I forget, since it's been a while since I've played the game (because the bank update got announced so early), but can you terraform tomb worlds?

Yes, though it's endgame kind of tech.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
Assume it's called that because Exterminatus was taken.

Also, tomb world habitability just got a buff. My HyperRoaches will live in irradiated remains of the homeworlds of Fallen Empires.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Yesssssss

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Baronjutter posted:

gently caress you I'm going to buy it BEFORE it comes out!!

Vegetarians are concerned about animals in the common language sense, not the formal scientific definition. So plantoids would count imo. (and if you did define it in the formal scientific sense, no alien would be an animal, since none of them are members of the kingdom Animalia)

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

worth noting that tomb world terraforming requires 10k energy normally, which is to say that it requires 5k in practice because if you're at all interested in terraforming you're going to place a very high priority on acquiring both strategic resources.

so, even though the tech for it is somewhat end game, the economy for it is very end game. you will quite reasonably be wanting to run a multiple hundred a month energy profit to be able to afford 5k like that.

that said, again, the primary problem with terraforming as a whole is the time it takes. mechanically i've been very impressed by it in my latest kill everyone run. if i were a xenophobe that was behind the development curve, i could use it to catch up by populating very densely. if i were a pacifist, i could grab territory early and worry about sculpting it to my needs later - again, giving me a good way to become more powerful while not needing to engage in an eternal hell-war. even for a xenophile, it honestly makes most sense to have one overriding atmospheric preference and one overriding atmosphere because that is the only way your lovefest is going to work for everyone. i could easily see gene-modding xeno immigrants to work with your preferred type.

the problem is simply how much god drat time it takes. i wish having the strategic resources halved time to complete in addition to energy expenditure. even that is a bit on the high side considering the mechanical precedent. considering that a warmonger can get about 3 planets in 10 years from cede demands i really don't think it's much of a request to have the current soil terraform (tropical -> continental, desert -> savannah, etc) take ~3.3-3.5 years instead of the current 10; if that reduction were applied to the others, that would mean ~7 years to change atmospheres, ~14 years to change tomb to nongaia, and ~28 years to change to gaia.

that said even at 5 years for a soil terraform i'd consider the extra year or so of time to be the cost of not pissing off the neighbors. obviously taking planets in a war has some diplomatic ramifications - terraforming has no such problems.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Feb 9, 2017

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

This is the best update to the best game :allears: Any ideas on how much the DLC will be?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

some punk across the galaxy just suffered a slave rebellion and the rebels' first move was insulting me

rude, man, i'm not even involved in this poo poo.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I wish you could support a galactic slave revolt movement. Fund and arm slaves, offer safe haven, go to war just to liberate worlds. Make every slave using empire in the galaxy hate and fear you.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

:getin:

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

ChickenWing posted:

my uncle works at stellaris and he let me play the game before it comes out and there's a race of pikablu

I told you that in confidence!!

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
One other thing confirmed in the stream was the final number for Dyson sphere energy (1000/mo iirc).

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

GunnerJ posted:

One other thing confirmed in the stream was the final number for Dyson sphere energy (1000/mo iirc).

that's brilliant. energy is the driving force behind expansion in my last handful of games; by comparison, minerals are relatively easy to acquire because you can freaking hang onto them pretty easy. there's always some worthless system with no redeeming factors so that's gorgeous.

one thought, though - we know what happens to the surrounding system as a dyson sphere is completed (planets go Frozen) but do we know what happens if it is later removed or destroyed somehow? or is that not a thing that can happen after installation? it would be hysterical to use a dyson sphere as an offensive weapon and then come back later to terraform/recolonize the now sterilized worlds.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Coolguye posted:

one thought, though - we know what happens to the surrounding system as a dyson sphere is completed (planets go Frozen) but do we know what happens if it is later removed or destroyed somehow? or is that not a thing that can happen after installation? it would be hysterical to use a dyson sphere as an offensive weapon and then come back later to terraform/recolonize the now sterilized worlds.

Don't think that would work because you need to have a system in your territory to build megastructures.

Also I may have been joking about "final number." :v: But the number shown on stream (which is supposedly "not" final) was 200 per month.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Contested territories still count as your system!

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

GunnerJ posted:

Don't think that would work because you need to have a system in your territory to build megastructures.

Also I may have been joking about "final number." :v: But the number shown on stream (which are supposedly "not" final) was 200 per month.

it would goddamn well work to make my current sectors purge the xenos, and they're offensive to me by their mere existence.

also 200 a month is still brilliant for a smaller/denser empire so still liking that a lot.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Coolguye posted:

it would goddamn well work to make my current sectors purge the xenos, and they're offensive to me by their mere existence.

Well, fair enough, but then it's not so much a weapon as a housekeeping appliance.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

my roomba shuts off the sun

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

A roomba that shuts off the sun is a black hole, surely.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

My take on terraforming is pretty much you're required to have at least 1 resource if you want to do more than basic terraforming. In fact, my preference is to really just either get 1 species for each wet/hot/cold biome, or gene mod my race out to go there. If you're gene modding though, terraforming is nearly obsolete, since you can just have every biome. The only time you'd want to terraform is to get a really good placement for your colony lander.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Baronjutter posted:

Yes but on the other hand eating plantoids is canonically vegan in Stellaris.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

terraforming makes sense from an economic point of view regardless because it removes all blockers on the planet. many planets spawn with at least 6 blockers and larger planets can have as many as 15. at ~100 days apiece you are frequently looking at between 2 and 4 years just to clear off the planet - and since construction can't happen while clearing is going on, that time is simply lost to your pops planet side. not to mention the minerals you also expend clearing blockers.

certainly, you will likely end up paying a bit of an energy premium, but that's at least a fair trade. 10 years however is really difficult to justify. 5 years would be pretty simple to justify, especially on large, high-blocker planets, because you can immediately get to work on what's actually important once you get the colony ship there and spend your minerals on building up your current planets in the mean time.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Wiz posted:

Yes but on the other hand eating plantoids is canonically vegan in Stellaris.

This is really weird to me, like honestly. I can't tell the joke if it's a joke.

Since I haven't played the expansion, do different species types really treat this stuff differently or not? These constant jokes about stuff that hasn't been explained (and GunnerJ straight up making things up to get a response) get tiresome when trying to understand the upcoming features.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Rakthar posted:

This is really weird to me, like honestly. I can't tell the joke if it's a joke.

it is a joke

when tf has veganism or diet at all mattered in any of the dev diaries or at any point in the game's development

like seriously you can be all 'hey that isn't funny' (and you'd be wrong because it's good for a chuckle) but questioning whether or not it's even a joke is just :cripes:

if you want to get real information just go read the dev diaries yourself, they are not long at all

among other things you'd learn that the expansion isn't even out yet so nobody has played it yet.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Rakthar posted:

Since I haven't played the expansion, do different species types really treat this stuff differently or not? These constant jokes about stuff that hasn't been explained (and GunnerJ straight up making things up to get a response) get tiresome when trying to understand the upcoming features.

Okay, let me phrase your question for you properly: Is there in fact mechanics for determining whether the consumption of a particular alien race is or is not vegan in the next Stellaris update?

What do you *think* is the correct answer to that?

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Rakthar posted:

Wiz is the Game Director for Stellaris.

This is like posting about Game of Thrones and GRRM piping up and saying "Canonically speaking, Daenyrs is hotter than the sand snake with the nice tits". You know this isn't actually true, but you can hardly argue with the author can you?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

lol this is unbelievable. Human life is astounding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Wiz posted:

Okay, let me phrase your question for you: Is there in fact mechanics for the consumption of what alien races are and are not vegan in the next Stellaris update?

What do you think is the correct answer to that?

I have no idea if you guys included "Races eating races" as one of the mechanics in the expansion, as one of the evil things you can do, with some simple checks that similar races don't like eating similar food, similar to religion. So that a plantoid neighbor would be upset if you turned on the cannibalism policy and started eating plantoid pops that you have vs a fungoid, that may not care as much, because you are going cross species.

• Locked thread