Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

OSI bean dip posted:

If someone wants to write a sane guide to setting up a Raspberry Pi to allow for remote access, please do.

I'm interested in doing this with my Pi. Could you elaborate on why guides that are out there aren't sane?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Kassad posted:

That's just what the permission would let it do. It doesn't mean it's actually doing that. It'd be very obvious if it did since the source code is up on Github.

As long as the binary is compiled from unmodified code.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

hooah posted:

I'm interested in doing this with my Pi. Could you elaborate on why guides that are out there aren't sane?
The first two hits for me on google for "rpi openvpn" are:

suggests using a 1024-bit RSA key in 2014

tells you to curl a uri and pipe it into your shell

There are probably others that tell you to disable SELinux, but I don't even think it's enabled by default on Raspbian.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

flosofl posted:

Thanks, these replies all make sense to me. I haven't really looked into the extension framework for Safari.

Echoing flosofl's thanks for all the replies, which have cleared things up for me. I don't have the time to look into extension frameworks myself, so it's great to hear from some people with domain knowledge.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

BobHoward posted:

Echoing flosofl's thanks for all the replies, which have cleared things up for me. I don't have the time to look into extension frameworks myself, so it's great to hear from some people with domain knowledge.

Dunno. I abandoned browser adblockers for a Pihole install running on a Debian lappy here. Gives me a lot more control over adblocking, as well as the ability to use curated lists of malware domains, plus the ability to use it LAN-wide with a single point of management.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

As long as the binary is compiled from unmodified code.

And anybody bothered to look at the source in the first place.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

anthonypants posted:

The first two hits for me on google for "rpi openvpn" are:

suggests using a 1024-bit RSA key in 2014

Those easy-rsa scripts had terrible defaults for the longest time.
IIRC they fixed it and use 2k as a default now but a lot of openvpn keys were generated using those scripts by people not really knowing what they were doing so there must be a lot of openvpn instances out there still using 1k keys.

DanAdamKOF
Feb 11, 2007

What do I tell people who ask about putting tape over their webcams? I'd think if they're at the point where they feel they need to they probably will just do it anyway.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Just let them do it, it doesn't hurt anything.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Don't use clear tape

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

DanAdamKOF posted:

What do I tell people who ask about putting tape over their webcams? I'd think if they're at the point where they feel they need to they probably will just do it anyway.

I do it but only because I typically hate cameras pointed directly at me. There is no harm in doing it.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Don't mention microphones, either.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Evidently I was "hacked" again.

These Netherlands logins weren't me.

How could someone get into my gmail account like this? I have 2 factor auth on, with authenticator or SMS. I can't login on any device without having to do these steps. And of course I never got any notification. Is google authenticator not secure? I have a very strong randomly generated 64 digit password too. I'm no tech expert but there has to be something fishy going on here. This is also the gmail account I have chrome logged in with. Luckily its just a throwaway account. But what could be going on I wonder.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

African AIDS cum posted:

How could someone get into my gmail account like this? I have 2 factor auth on, with authenticator or SMS. I can't login on any device without having to do these steps. And of course I never got any notification. Is google authenticator not secure? I have a very strong randomly generated 64 digit password too. I'm no tech expert but there has to be something fishy going on here. This is also the gmail account I have chrome logged in with. Luckily its just a throwaway account. But what could be going on I wonder.

Did you ever set up a Dutch VPN in Firefox? That was popular a few years back (when Firefox 40 was current) for free NFL streams.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

African AIDS cum posted:

Did you lose an Android device?

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Space Gopher posted:

Did you ever set up a Dutch VPN in Firefox? That was popular a few years back (when Firefox 40 was current) for free NFL streams.

Yes I did use one a few years ago, but I haven't used firefox in forever, and didn't back then, also it was on a completely different computer

This shows up under recent devices in google,

The firefox one definitely isn't me, but it is the same computer name of my PC, so is the Netherlands login spoofing my pc somehow? Nobody has access to this PC but me and I have a fresh install of windows 10

Samizdata posted:

Did you lose an Android device?

Nope, have never owned one

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/02/24/cloudbleed_buffer_overflow_bug_spaffs_personal_data/

Hmm

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

Change your passwords on any site that uses Cloudflare--that includes Something Awful.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
So, no one is actually going to do the research and find the actual disclosure from Project Zero? I love El Reg as much as the next chap, but they can get a little over dramatic at times.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

OSI bean dip posted:

Change your passwords on any site that uses Cloudflare--that includes Something Awful.

Yeah I have been. Do you think someone could have accessed my Gmail/Amazon this way or through something similar? They did have unique passwords.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

African AIDS cum posted:

Yeah I have been. Do you think someone could have accessed my Gmail/Amazon this way or through something similar? They did have unique passwords.
I don't think either of those websites use Cloudflare

Clint Howard
Jul 16, 2006

by zen death robot
How often do people here change passwords for sensitive sites and data? KeePass has the option of setting an expiry time for a password. Depending on the sensitivity of the data the password is protecting, I set expiry times of varying lengths. For my most sensitive information (e.g., banking sites), I change my passwords every week. For somewhat less sensitive, but still important stuff (email, dropbox), I change passwords every month. Things like forums account passwords and Amazon get changed every 3 months. I change my KeePass master password every month. My WPA2 and router passwords also get changed every month. I use 2FA on everything I can.

Realistically, I know that a properly generated, high entropy password on an otherwise secure system can't be cracked in my lifetime via known methods, so I wonder if I'm being silly by changing my passwords so often. Then, breaches like this Cloudflare situation pop up, and I wonder how many similar breaches occur without ever being noticed or reported; maybe my paranoia is justified?

Changing passwords this often requires maybe 20 minutes per week of my time at most, so I don't think I'm that crazy, but I do sometimes wonder if it's a waste of time and energy.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Clint Howard posted:

How often do people here change passwords for sensitive sites and data? KeePass has the option of setting an expiry time for a password. Depending on the sensitivity of the data the password is protecting, I set expiry times of varying lengths. For my most sensitive information (e.g., banking sites), I change my passwords every week. For somewhat less sensitive, but still important stuff (email, dropbox), I change passwords every month. Things like forums account passwords and Amazon get changed every 3 months. I change my KeePass master password every month. My WPA2 and router passwords also get changed every month. I use 2FA on everything I can.

Realistically, I know that a properly generated, high entropy password on an otherwise secure system can't be cracked in my lifetime via known methods, so I wonder if I'm being silly by changing my passwords so often. Then, breaches like this Cloudflare situation pop up, and I wonder how many similar breaches occur without ever being noticed or reported; maybe my paranoia is justified?

Changing passwords this often requires maybe 20 minutes per week of my time at most, so I don't think I'm that crazy, but I do sometimes wonder if it's a waste of time and energy.

This is from a study by Google a few years ago:

The reason non-experts change their passwords so often is because, well, if people use bad passwords to start with AND they reuse passwords, and you can't get them to change that behaviour, telling them to change passwords every so often is the only option left.

For experts who don't reuse passwords and have randomly generated passwords of sufficient strength only, changing them is really never necessary unless you find evidence of someone having gotten access to your account.

See, now there's a good reason to change passwords on sites that use Cloudflare, but other than stuff like that? Complete waste of your time. Seriously, 20 minutes EVERY WEEK on something that's hardly ever necessary?

Oh and to any sysadmins at companies - please don't force people to change passwords every so often. It'll just cause them to increment a number at the end of a password, and it'll cause them to choose simpler passwords because they'll have to learn a new one every time. Forcing people to change passwords regularly is a terrible security practice.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Clint Howard posted:

Use 2FA.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Carbon dioxide posted:

The reason non-experts change their passwords so often is because, well, if people use bad passwords to start with AND they reuse passwords, and you can't get them to change that behaviour, telling them to change passwords every so often is the only option left.

I've sometimes thought that the only solution to password reuse would be to use required patterns in the password. When you go to change the password the page would tell you that the characters 4-6 in your new password must be "hEo", choose whatever you want for the rest. But it would require large portion of sites to use random patterns to make reuse impractical.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

RFC2324 posted:

Use 2FA.

This is the only real answer.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Clint Howard posted:

The only virtue in changing passwords, is so the password in any given dump-made-public isn't your current password. Most of these that hit the web broadly tend to be months to years old. Even rarer are they plaintext, high entropy passwords aren't going to be reversed quickly if ever.
It's kinda up to you whether you think its a waste of time or not?

As for keypass, rotating that password achieves nothing. If someone was attacking the vault they'd presumably already have their own copy of your kbbx and changing the password to your version doesn't alter theirs.

Bruteforcing keepass/WPA2 just isn't feasible. It's not "probably not in my lifetime" but rather "certainly not in the lifetime of the Sun".
Worry less about rotating passwords weekly and instead activate 2FA, and especially secure keepass with a Yubikey or similar.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Saukkis posted:

I've sometimes thought that the only solution to password reuse would be to use required patterns in the password. When you go to change the password the page would tell you that the characters 4-6 in your new password must be "hEo", choose whatever you want for the rest. But it would require large portion of sites to use random patterns to make reuse impractical.

Some sites do this. I proposed it at Facebook, but the other mitigations in place were deemed strong enough that the user friction wasn't worth it.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

What the absolute gently caress, Adobe? I can't save documents in Adobe Acrobat Reader DC without triggering EMET's Caller mitigation and crashing the program. How do you gently caress that up??

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Cup Runneth Over posted:

What the absolute gently caress, Adobe? I can't save documents in Adobe Acrobat Reader DC without triggering EMET's Caller mitigation and crashing the program. How do you gently caress that up??

More often than not it's the AV that's hosed up but we are talking about Adobe here soooo

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

EMET isn't an AV.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Cup Runneth Over posted:

EMET isn't an AV.

Lol yes you are correct. For some reason I read EMET as ESET...

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005
"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free do to anything"
Removed.

Downs Duck fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Mar 7, 2017

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

You have too much going on here and should consider maybe simplifying your approach. I opted to break apart your post here into simple replies. That said, I don't believe that you read much of the OP.

quote:

I'm looking for some Beginner's Home/Private OPSEC Tips and wondered if someone could help me with some best practices/programs? I'd like the "paranoid" comments to be at an absolute minimum, please. I'm trying to learn here, so bear with me. I'm a regular guy that just wants to avoid being hosed over by some script kiddie just because I pissed him off at some random forum or didn't lock my "house" properly. I'm gonna be honest about what I've done, and I know something if not everything have been stupid. I'm trying to rectify that now.

quote:

I ditched FB maybe 5-6 years ago, can't remember. Didn't post much, if anything. I signed up for LinkedIn and became too liberal in posting stuff there for my resume, thinking it would help me get a job. It didn't so I've already taken some steps to rectify that; it now only has an anonymous picture and a brief summary of my skills. I am thinking of just ditching it altogether and create a new, anonymous profile.

quote:

I am currently in the process of checking every site I've used LastPass on, like job sites and similar, removing my info or obscuring my info on all of them.

Assume a new online identity and don't engage with people you think are out to gently caress you over. Don't reveal who you are to others and then you don't have to go and edit every single website you're on. This is only needed if you are really concerned about painting a target on your back.

Once it's on the Internet, it's out there for everyone to digest. You can do your best to have Google remove it or whatever, but really there is a point where starting fresh is better.

quote:

Currently doing a 30 day Kaspersky trail, and a 5 day Freedome VPN trail to check it out, been only using WIndows Defender and no VPN/TOR before that. Looking into some free alternatives before I land on paying for one.

Read the OP about anti-virus. You claimed to have read it already but since you're asking about anti-virus it is apparent that you haven't.

Also why do you need to use a VPN? Are you using it at home or are you using it when you're out and about?

quote:

Thinking of using VeraCrypt to encrypt all drives, but am a bit nervous I will gently caress it up and ot get back my data. Thinking of maybe just encrypt disk 1 and 2, and let the 3rd one be unencrypted just so I don't lose all my data by accident.

Again, read the OP about disk encryption. There is nothing wrong in encrypting all of your disks provided that you can maintain access to them.

quote:

Thinking of writing any and all passwords in a physical notebook.

This is not as bad as people might think. Stop using LastPass by the way.

quote:

Router is setup with a non-default username and password, same with SSID. I've looked into some of the aircrack -ng tools and know people could sniff out and spoof MAC listed devices, but thinking of doing it anyway.

Are you concerned about people breaking your wireless network? If you're really concerned, use ethernet everywhere.

quote:

Looking into secure browsers, been using Chrome for a while. Not sure if the standard Firefox is my best bet, been looking into Iridium and White Hat Aviator, just something I can lock down as default and open up if/when some page tells me to. Very open to suggestions from you here.

Just use Firefox or Chrome.

quote:

I have an Android phone, a Samsung Galaxy A3 that I want to root. I have the wifi and bluetooth turned off whenever I don't specifically need them, but don't trust it anymore. Been looking into rooting it with Odin or something or maybe buying a burner phone or at least using an old Nokia that I have.

Phones are a different beast. If you're concerned then use some GSM device that has no real features.

quote:

Most of all I want SIMPLE, because I don't give a poo poo about most social media or sharing whatever I eat and do throughout the day.

Read the OP and make decisions for yourself.

Please avoid making another giant wall of text that is effectively teflon for eyes if you choose to reply again.

Lain Iwakura fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Mar 7, 2017

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005
"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free do to anything"

Thank you for your answer, I'll get back to reading the OP and will delete the wall of text after, so it doesn't clutter the thread.

EDIT: I copied your answer, so you can delete your post to me if you feel it's taking up too much space. Thanks again.

Downs Duck fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Mar 7, 2017

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

spankmeister posted:

Those easy-rsa scripts had terrible defaults for the longest time.
IIRC they fixed it and use 2k as a default now but a lot of openvpn keys were generated using those scripts by people not really knowing what they were doing so there must be a lot of openvpn instances out there still using 1k keys.

on that same note if you rolled your own ovpn server it's worth checking the logs to see if you are using a cipher that is affected by SWEET32 - ovpn calls it out in the connection logs now and some of the older versions had some horrendous defaults for ciphers

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Mad Wack posted:

on that same note if you rolled your own ovpn server it's worth checking the logs to see if you are using a cipher that is affected by SWEET32 - ovpn calls it out in the connection logs now and some of the older versions had some horrendous defaults for ciphers
I wonder if there's a good reason why OpenVPN uses Blowfish as a default cipher instead of an AES, which it apparently recommends

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Mad Wack posted:

Does this affect brypt in any way, since it's based on Blowfish?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Forgall posted:

Does this affect brypt in any way, since it's based on Blowfish?

No.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
I'm turning in a laptop to work on my last day, and using Cipher to wipe things I've deleted.

Before I went to bed, I used cipher /w:c:users - and it wasn't done like 7 hours later, but users directory isn't that big, so does Cipher wipe the entire drive regardless?