Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Bolange posted:

They've indicated the features are still coming, just no tentative date. A roadmap is just an estimate--these things definitely slip and people treating a roadmap as a promised delivery date is part of why no one wants to provide one. I wouldn't call it super scummy but they could definitely improve their communication on this matter.
They've indicated that the features are still coming in Bitwig 2. That's a pretty big deal if you ask me, since saying "yes you will get these features" and "yes you will get these features if you buy our new software" are two pretty different things. There are also a lot of things that they've been promising since 2014 (remember when the modular system was 'coming soon'?) that are now dropped completely. VST3 support in Bitwig 2 (a different piece of software that I'll have to buy separately) is not what they promised at all.

Bolange posted:

The removal of your ability to use the software when your subscription lapses is a key feature of a 'subscription' model--see also any web service or other subscription software like Adobe Creative Suite. The fact that you can keep using it is definitely *not* a "given" in the world of software subscriptions. You do not *need* to re-buy the software at the end of the 12 months. If there's no compelling reason to spend another $160 then don't. Keep making music with the Bitwig you'll still have until such time you feel there is another $160 worth of value to buy into. Seems reasonable to me but the price is definitely too high imo.

Funny you should bring up Adobe because much like the music software business, the graphic software business is also incredibly lovely. :v:

Gringostar posted:

Check out Studio One.

It's light on included instruments but the effects are absolutely amazing. Plus they have a trade in program for other DAWs for switching.
I was curious about the version comparison saying "Note FX: 1" and apparently they don't support MIDI VSTs? :whitewater: I'd say the #1 thing I want from a DAW is VST support since I don't care about built in instruments at all, and while some DAWs (like Bitwig) have a bunch of neat note effects (arpeggio, note shift, chord, clam to scale) there are some MIDI VSTs I just couldn't do without. Also, the more modulation opportunities the better (why I use Bitwig in the first place).

Honestly there are a ton of features I never use in any DAW (recording is the big one), but a lot of them seem more aimed at either recording real instruments, playing live/DJing etc. Bitwig was the first one that had a huge focus on synths and VSTs which is why I fell in love with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Bolange posted:

They've indicated the features are still coming, just no tentative date. A roadmap is just an estimate--these things definitely slip and people treating a roadmap as a promised delivery date is part of why no one wants to provide one. I wouldn't call it super scummy but they could definitely improve their communication on this matter.

Yeah but if you bought Bitwig 1 based at least in part on the promise that those features would be a part of it, you're still getting ripped off. It's not really a consolation that they'll get around to adding that stuff eventually; you paid money for something they said would be included, and "sure it still will be, eventually, but only if you pay again" doesn't really count as them having kept their word.

I'm also a huge Bitwig fan, but way disappointed with how slowly they've delivered on some really, really basic functionality. You still can't even change time signatures, which I would think most DAWs would have built in on day one.

breaks
May 12, 2001

Bitwig 2 is really cool, the new modulation scheme is great and the interface tweaks are nice. I recommend giving it a go once you get beta access or the demo comes out or whatever.

I don't have much to say about dates slipping for features or pricing scheme or whatever. If you really think it's so much better than everything else it's tough for me to see how the price is unreasonable, but ymmv of course.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Trig Discipline posted:

I'm also a huge Bitwig fan, but way disappointed with how slowly they've delivered on some really, really basic functionality. You still can't even change time signatures, which I would think most DAWs would have built in on day one.

At least we got the ability to group tracks before they jumped ship to Bitwig 2.0 :madmax:

e: although, Bitwig 2.0 is getting all the amazing new functionality like crossfades.

e2: this also puts the subscription model in a worse light, in my opinion. How long it has taken them (not) to implement features, I mean.

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Feb 8, 2017

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
I mean I'm still going to upgrade because I'm an idiot who likes new things but god drat if I ain't gonna bitch about it.

But there are seriously some very basic features that I would expect to see in a DAW that's been around for three goddamn years that still aren't there, and it's baffling to me that they weren't there even on day one.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I'm gonna give this poor guy getting lost in the discussion a free bump to the new page, because I told them to come here.

Eldercain posted:

I was told that maybe this post goes here, so here is this post:

My brother is getting married soon and it seems possible that he unironically wants a keytar, so our bachelor party group is gonna split getting one for him and it'll probably be an amazing gift either way. I couldn't think of a better website to ask about this so does anyone have any experience with them or a recommendation on brand/model?

Other info: he's been pretty diligent in his practice with a semi-lovely yamaha keyboard that he's been using as an el-cheapo piano the last few years and we both have actual musical training from ~high school time so he'll probably be able to pick it up pretty fast. We're not looking top of the line but I think it'd be good to get one that isn't lovely too. Is this a reasonable thing to be looking for, a midrange keytar?

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Get him an op-1 with a strap

Beaucoup Cuckoo
Apr 10, 2008

Uncle Seymour wants you to eat your beans.
Here's a good review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQ4GODRNoWM

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Your Computer posted:

I was curious about the version comparison saying "Note FX: 1" and apparently they don't support MIDI VSTs? :whitewater: I'd say the #1 thing I want from a DAW is VST support since I don't care about built in instruments at all, and while some DAWs (like Bitwig) have a bunch of neat note effects (arpeggio, note shift, chord, clam to scale) there are some MIDI VSTs I just couldn't do without. Also, the more modulation opportunities the better (why I use Bitwig in the first place).

The hell?

I use cthulhu, tatoo, and axon all the time in studio one.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
160/yr is their sub? That's more than I pay to keep me in Cubase ffs
E: I think FL does it the fairest. The vast majority of enhancements are free but new synths and things you have to pay to unlock. And the prorate it against what you already own.

Startyde fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Feb 8, 2017

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

inferis posted:

Get him an op-1 with a strap

Everyone should buy an op-1 regardless.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

havelock posted:

Everyone should buy an op-1 regardless.

eh, my tb-03 and 6U of euro have me set for portable synths i think, but i def wouldnt mind if an OP-1 fell into my lap somehow

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
I picked up an Alesis Vortex last year. Just a controller, though -- you bring the sound devices. The wireless version is pretty nice if you plan on working with a computer at all ever. Drawbacks:
  • The wireless indicator lights cannot be turned off, and will blind your bandmates/adoring crowd. Throw your favorite local band's sticker on that poo poo.
  • The drum pads are an awkward reach, and garbage anyway. The knobs are marginally more useful, but there's only three of them.
  • Careful bending over, as the factory strap will come off its peg and the whole thing will fall on the floor.
  • The keys and plastic body are kind of cheap feeling.
That said, it has user assignable keyboard split, and the mod wheel can switch between three different destinations per patch. Patches are completely editable from the hardware (editor is Windows only), and there's a decent number of save locations. It comes bundled with some music software so you can make a sound, but I never find myself using them. Ignite. A VST from Sonivox. Probably Ableton Live Lite, too? Hard to remember.

Comedy option: the Rock Band keytar I was gigging on before.

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?
I picked up an Octatrack a few weeks ago - I was hoping to score a Machinedrum but those are few and far between, more so with the user sample ability. I picked up a Volca Sample a year ago to accompany my Monomachine but it was a little cumbersome to use (no complaints at its price point, I just needed something more). I needed something more capable but none of the cheaper options really had every feature I wanted. Almost went with a Rytm but found the price too high. I initially thought it would be overkill but the more I explore it the less I regret spending that kind of money on a sampler - it's replaced my mixer, negated the need for an input device with more inputs, and is just fun to use when running my OP-1 through it and messing around with the samples. While I'd love to have drum synthesis, it's taken a back seat to everything else this device can do, and I'm coming up with ideas faster than any other combo I've ever had.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Dropping by after a month of modular:

Korg SQ1 is a good performance tool. Step jumping to up to 16 tuned offsets is a really good. Doesn't get good runtime with NiMH, but can be USB powered, so whatever.

I feel like I'm not getting a lot out of Scan & Pan, and that's partially because I don't have the Morpheus in my hands yet and partially because dynamic panning is apparently hard to do to good effect. A lot of sweeps are nausea-inducing, at least in my headphones. I hope to use pan to feed Morpheus's two channels with differing input gain/distortion settings to get a fourth timbral modulation.

Actually, I do get a lot out of it. It's a good mixer that's in every patch I make. I like the faders and the fact that the gain goes well into distortion.

Clouds Parasites is nuts.

Monome Teletype is as deep as you want it to be. So far for me, it's a Turing Machine, analog shift register, arpeggiator, game of Simon, phrase generator, CV recorder, euclidian rhythm generator....

Distings most often serve as suboscillators and delays right now, occasionally an LFO or Env whenever Peaks and Maths are both tapped out. Sometimes I do a lovely chorus with a delay line.

I honestly don't use the URA a lot. I use its opto-integrator and sample and hold circuit a bunch, but I'm just not feeling the call for much randomness when I get controllable chaos from the Shapeshifter. Plus I often use Teletype for (pseudo-)random CV. It makes offsets and ranges so much easier. I do use it for audio noise though, so it's like I use almost everything in the box but none of it self-patched.

Maths is great. Kinks doesn't get a whole bunch of use but it's handy.

Sputnik Valve Multiplier is okay. The multing is really good, but the exponential amps bleed. I guess it's only an issue because my uVCA II hasn't yet arrived.

Also, my god, I can't believe how many cables can go into a patch. I bought 25 cables when I bought the rack and it was nowhere near enough. I built a few basic patches and was shocked to discover how many more things I wanted to do when the cables ran out, and how many empty sockets remained.

Mostly producing demonic howling at the moment, but it's been everywhere from robot farts to swirling vocoded pads.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

sliderule posted:

Also, my god, I can't believe how many cables can go into a patch. I bought 25 cables when I bought the rack and it was nowhere near enough. I built a few basic patches and was shocked to discover how many more things I wanted to do when the cables ran out, and how many empty sockets remained.

count the number of jacks in your system, divide by two, and that's how many patch cables you need :negative:

idk what you have, but i'm a huge fan of Control's patch cables. the low profile plugs are really nice, particularly for modules that have a lot of densely arranged patch points (i.e. more or less all of them), and the insulation is soft and flexible without being rubbery.

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

Pedal question: I have 3 pedals, an Electro-Harmonix delay, a Boss reverb, and a ProCo Rat Distortion. If I try to run my Odyssey through all three, the signal is too weak by the time it gets to my mixer. If i take the the rat out it works. What kind of impedance transformer would fix this? Could I use one for mics, given that I have an XLR out on the odyssey and a high-Z in on my mixer? Or is there a good one for synths? Most of what I've seen is for mics, low-z XLR to high-z 1/4".

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

My Rat (and distortion pedals in general) drops the volume at lot, are you sure it's not that? Just takes a lot more at the mixer pre-amp but that tends to come with effects based on clipping low headroom circuits for reasons that make sense when you think about it (and the differences in level between synths and single coil guitars). If it's above and beyond normal distortion pedal signal drop, disregard.

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

Well turning up the gain is fine when it's on but there is no signal when it's off. I figure it's the impedance.

EDIT: Any thoughts on the TipTop Audio Mantis Case? It looks good but it's plastic, I wonder how durable it is. One row is 50mm deep, the other 61mm, and while the latter is pretty good I looked at one Doepfer module that wouldn't fit that. Fortunately a similar Intellijel module was shorter, but still, it's going to affect module choice.

AxeBreaker fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Feb 10, 2017

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Just got my PO-32 last night. The 'gimmick' is basically that it's microtonic, and you can transfer anything from the vst to the operator.

Only messed around a bit, but it's definitely the best percussion PO (and probably the best overall), and really feels like it could hold up as a (still a bit gimmicky) performance-level tool.

FormulaXFD
Sep 11, 2001

AxeBreaker posted:

Pedal question: I have 3 pedals, an Electro-Harmonix delay, a Boss reverb, and a ProCo Rat Distortion. If I try to run my Odyssey through all three, the signal is too weak by the time it gets to my mixer. If i take the the rat out it works. What kind of impedance transformer would fix this? Could I use one for mics, given that I have an XLR out on the odyssey and a high-Z in on my mixer? Or is there a good one for synths? Most of what I've seen is for mics, low-z XLR to high-z 1/4".

You'll need to figure out in what order they're acting as offenders first. You might find it's the particular sequence where one is expecting a high-impedance load, and the next box is a lower impedance input, which attenuates your signal. I would suggest just driving your source into one effect box and then straight to the mixer and try to figure out which one is coming out more quiet. If you cannot hear _any_ change, it might mean your mixer is high enough impedance that it isn't loading anything. In that case you'll have to play musical pedals to figure out which one is the most egregious offender. Try to put the rat first, and see what that does. If that really is the problem, what you would need is a simple pre-amp buffer stage. Something high impedance in, and able to drive a low impedance out.

FormulaXFD fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Feb 10, 2017

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

AxeBreaker posted:

EDIT: Any thoughts on the TipTop Audio Mantis Case? It looks good but it's plastic, I wonder how durable it is. One row is 50mm deep, the other 61mm, and while the latter is pretty good I looked at one Doepfer module that wouldn't fit that. Fortunately a similar Intellijel module was shorter, but still, it's going to affect module choice.

doepfer modules tend to be on the deeper side, due to the fact that they mostly use through hole components, which requires a larger PCB area. because the PCBs are big, they mount them perpendicular to the panel, requiring a good amount of case depth. this is a pretty common design for earlier modular synthesizer formats, when cases were ginormous and you didn't have to care.

most other manufacturers use primarily SMT components and mount the PCBs parallel to the panel, which means the modules can be a lot shallower. looking at my rack, the deepest module by far is a doepfer pico VCO at 65mm. most everything else comes in between 25 and 40mm.

edit: compare: a doepfer 8hp VCO, an intellijel 8hp VCO

Mr. Glass fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Feb 10, 2017

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
Dave Smith quietly changed the branding of the REV2 so now it has a "Prophet REV2" logo on the synth itself. The nitpicky issue I had with the original announcement at NAMM was that it didn't have the Prophet name for some weird reason despite being the successor of the P'08.

mes
Apr 28, 2006

Any of you guys looking for an OP-1? I'm selling mine in SA Mart:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3809594

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

I searched the thread but I couldn't find a consensus on where to buy patch cables. Is there one? I keep seeing advocates for "buy cheap" and "buy good ones because mah signalz" and I don't know if the latter has any truth to it over less than 3' of cable.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
I figure this is the thread for asking about MIDI Controllers. I am looking for something relatively inexpensive (200 or less), that is on the smaller side. So far, these are the ones that have jumped out at me but would love opinions on which is better or other options.

Akai Professional MPK Mini Mk2
Novation Launchkey Mini Mk2

Thanks for the help!

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

AxeBreaker posted:

I searched the thread but I couldn't find a consensus on where to buy patch cables. Is there one? I keep seeing advocates for "buy cheap" and "buy good ones because mah signalz" and I don't know if the latter has any truth to it over less than 3' of cable.

I have a bunch of those multicolored Hosa and they work just fine.

But my favorites are the yellow ones that come with the MS-20 Mini. Those seem to be just the right reach for so many things.

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

'm pro-dickgirl, and I VOTE!

AxeBreaker posted:

I did DIY for a while, but the braided patch cables that ModularAddict sells are so cheap that it just doesn't make sense. I have no complaints about the quality either.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

good jovi posted:

I did DIY for a while, but the braided patch cables that ModularAddict sells are so cheap that it just doesn't make sense. I have no complaints about the quality either.

I have a pack of these I grabbed at Control Voltage in good-sounding colors (that match my purple blue and green 1/4 inch cables). I like em a lot - even moreso than the MS-20 bundled ones (which feel great as well).

What's everyone like for utility modules? My employment future recently got more tenuous so instead of filling a skiff with a voice + sequencer and going from there I'm looking at waiting for deals on swiss army knife stuff to complement my patch-pointed semi-modulars.

Looking for cool or efficient VCAs + ADSRs mostly, maybe some syncable LFOs. I like the Doepfer and Sputnik stuff in that direction... (but does any Doepfer fit in a skiff?) And probably all tied together with a Yarns. Alternatively - what am I gonna wish I had that I don't realize yet?

Also, do I need an output module?/Am I gonna be bitter about (not) having one w/ semi-modulars with euro-level inputs?

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

MrSargent posted:

I figure this is the thread for asking about MIDI Controllers. I am looking for something relatively inexpensive (200 or less), that is on the smaller side. So far, these are the ones that have jumped out at me but would love opinions on which is better or other options.

Akai Professional MPK Mini Mk2
Novation Launchkey Mini Mk2

Thanks for the help!

Shameless bump. If there is a better thread to ask this just let me know. Think I'm headed to GC today and want to pick one up.

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

MrSargent posted:

Shameless bump. If there is a better thread to ask this just let me know. Think I'm headed to GC today and want to pick one up.

I had the Akai LPK25 which was useful and has a cool little arpeggiator - the MPK also comes with pads, knobs and the X/Y stick.

The Launchkey has no arp or X/Y stick but will probably integrate with Ableton Live lot better.

Personally I'd go for the Akai for the extra toys.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
CME Xkey is absurdly small and is in your price range, but I don't know if Guitar Center carries it.

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

If you ever want to use either of those with real gear you'll need to use a USB host with a 5-pin midi port since they don't have it.

AxeBreaker fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Feb 12, 2017

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

This would mostly be for controlling Ableton and VSTs. If I got any serious synth gear, I would be routing it to my interface with the 5pin MIDI In/Out.

Thinking of going with the Akai as it is one of the controllers in Abletons list so I think the integration will be easy. Thanks a lot for the help!

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I love my Nektar Impact LX25+ for what it's worth, its solidly built and a piece of piss to integrate with anything.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

JamesKPolk posted:

Looking for cool or efficient VCAs + ADSRs mostly, maybe some syncable LFOs. I like the Doepfer and Sputnik stuff in that direction... (but does any Doepfer fit in a skiff?)

I still love my Modcan Quad LFO. Its syncable an very handy in virtually any patch. You can probably find a used one without much trouble.

http://www.modcan.com/emodules/quadlfo.html

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

JamesKPolk posted:

Looking for cool or efficient VCAs + ADSRs mostly, maybe some syncable LFOs. I like the Doepfer and Sputnik stuff in that direction... (but does any Doepfer fit in a skiff?) And probably all tied together with a Yarns. Alternatively - what am I gonna wish I had that I don't realize yet?

Also, do I need an output module?/Am I gonna be bitter about (not) having one w/ semi-modulars with euro-level inputs?

mixers are more important than vcas imo, and doepfer make my favorite
the doepfer 4x4 matrix mixer a-138m is skiff friendly in depth and power:HP, i cant imagine playing witthout it

i got rid of maths and kept rosie, but you might not need an output module as badly. i love having 2 headphone outs to play with a friend, and its really good not having to worry so much about my amp when im turning it up. it being an extra mixer might be even better than being a dedicated output module -- is your modular gonna be installed in a studio or portable? do you want more hardware around when youre playing or do you want a box of magic that fits on your lap?

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

magiccarpet posted:

I still love my Modcan Quad LFO. Its syncable an very handy in virtually any patch. You can probably find a used one without much trouble.

http://www.modcan.com/emodules/quadlfo.html

Nice, this looks awesome and wasn't even close to on my radar

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

mixers are more important than vcas imo, and doepfer make my favorite
the doepfer 4x4 matrix mixer a-138m is skiff friendly in depth and power:HP, i cant imagine playing witthout it

i got rid of maths and kept rosie, but you might not need an output module as badly. i love having 2 headphone outs to play with a friend, and its really good not having to worry so much about my amp when im turning it up. it being an extra mixer might be even better than being a dedicated output module -- is your modular gonna be installed in a studio or portable? do you want more hardware around when youre playing or do you want a box of magic that fits on your lap?

Why mixers over vcas? Not my first impulse... but thats why I'm asking in the first place.

My current plan is something static that's gonna be interfacing with the semi-modular stuff I have now, not really portable or independent. So always going in to a mixer (but likely via a patch bay). Which reading your post makes me think it can definitely wait til I have a bigger case and a dedicated modular voice.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

AxeBreaker posted:

Only place where I found cheap lacking was in stackable cables - the ones I originally got you'd occasionally have drops in voltage and you'd have to wiggle the cable around a bit to find the right spot.

JamesKPolk posted:

Most of my patching is using euro to 1/4" jacks into a mixer, which works fine if you've got trim controls for gain or can attenuate your signals going out.

I've got the Intellijel audio interface 2, which is useful for putting external inputs in and outs for effects pedals, but it does lack a headphone jack which is an oversight on their part, but it isn't really essential.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
e: I think this is the wrong thread

LP0 ON FIRE fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Feb 13, 2017