Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Holy poo poo gon's VA is loving nailing this scene

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

Also him deciding to glare at the cat was a really good scene.

I really enjoy how HxH takes the inherently villainous "gently caress around and I will utterly slaughter you without mercy" thing and gives it to a kid who up until the Chimera Ant arc is generally happy go lucky, the hero and a very good boy.

And then he slaughters that cat without mercy.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Shugojin posted:

Holy poo poo gon's VA is loving nailing this scene

Gon's VA is absolutely fantastic when it comes to a lot of the Chimera Ant scenes.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

It was at this moment that Pitou knew...it hosed up.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

pitou is a girl actually

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

A girl in the anime but a boy in the manga iirc

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The character is intentionally ambiguously gendered but the anime producers pretty clearly assumed a woman.

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
i never thought pitou was ambiguously gendered until fans on the internet starting telling me it said pitou was a boy in some databook somewhere

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I had no idea about anything about data books or what the internet thinks or the anime and I thought it was a boy based on the Viz translations.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I had no idea about anything about data books or what the internet thinks or the anime and I thought it was a boy based on the Viz translations.

Yeah as I recall Pitou had specific male pronouns because it surprised me at the time. It doesn't really matter though to be honest.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Data books are not always correct either.

But then theres the whole Alluka thing so it wouldnt be weird for Togashi to do something like that.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

It's a weird ant-human-cat hybrid. And the sex stuff with ants is explicitly not analogous to humans and is more like an actual insect colony with stuff like the generals being indeterminate until the queen is dead and then becoming male as they attempt to establish their own nests. Which is a very cool Togashi-esque detail, not just making them strange humans like most other shounen shows would.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Pitou should be female just to actually have a powerful female adversary in HxH

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Tunicate posted:

Pitou should be female just to actually have a powerful female adversary in HxH

Given her appearance and the multiple times she's referred to as being like a mother cat to Meruem that's likely the intention, yeah.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Well tbf the entire chairman election had a powerful female adversary trying to stop the handsome and charismatic protagonist.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
With Pitou and gender it does not matter too much. But it seems female was intended. The Japanese side seems to also appears to near unanimously agree that Pitou is female. The databook that is quoted as referring to Pitou as a boy was not written by Togashi nor does it actually call Pitou male as the sentence were the word Kare appeared was talking about Gon.

No gendered pronouns were ever used in the manga with Pitou who in her first appearance appeared ambiguous, but as the series continued Pitou's artstyle changed and started appearing cuter and more feminine gaining features such as obvious breasts and curves. The anime more or less just used Pitou's final look from the start. Which is clearly female.

Viz who published it over here assumed male at first and went for male pronouns. Which they and crunchyroll backtracked on for the anime. Using ambiguous and female pronouns

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Feb 10, 2017

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

That is a comprehensive and good answer and has no place in this thread

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Yeah but the person posting it has Pitou front and center in their av and can be considered an authority

e: Also I'm real happy the thread saw a spike in activity around the same time I was watching the anime so I could post about it a little bit

Shugojin fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Feb 9, 2017

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
I just read the manga for the first time over a few days, sadly I only have up till right before the Netero fight got past 2 punches.

I've seen the anime like 3 times though.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
A visual aid for what I was saying.

First appearance Pitou can easily be mistaken for a boy

Pitou later on is much more clearly feminine

And while getting the images I actually learned that Games and stuff are now straight up saying Pitou is female as well.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I didn't know ONE did work on hunter

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
What about kurapika

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Did he redraw the napkin scribble era for the volumes?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Goddamnit I was just calling the pussy a pussy, mangs.

tap my mountain posted:

What about kurapika

Okay, so for reals real I spent two episodes of the anime wondering about that and before watching it I was sure Kurapika was a girl. Even after I learned he's a man (such a man) (he's a man), I still kept waiting for the "actually girl dressed up as dude for reasons" trope to hit me.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Nope Kurapika is just unironically a dude who looks like a lady, for literally no plot reason

e: oh gently caress I think I'm finally to the episode :ohdear:

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I accidentally bought the first seven volumes on the internet

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Shugojin posted:

Nope Kurapika is just unironically a dude who looks like a lady, for literally no plot reason

e: oh gently caress I think I'm finally to the episode :ohdear:

The reason is that Togashi likes to gently caress with everyone's expectations of everything.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

I said no plot reason. There is no in-universe reason for that dude to look like a lady. Togashi just, y'know. Drew him like a lady.

Also I was right it was the episode and jesus goddamn christ

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I was reminded that the old anime used to air on network TV here in Brazil when I was around freshman age in HS - my brother watched it but I wasn't much into anime as a teen, I'd rather play videogames while my brother watched TV (also I think it was on around 5pm and usually I had class until 5pm, so I'd never catch it anyway). So my impressions about the characters were: "kid goku but named after a tekken character", "haha that girl's name means 'heals dick' haha", "Hiei" and...well, I never saw Leorio and Hisoka's message is pretty clear even if you just take a gander at the screen once.

Dunno why this came to mind, but I look forward to sharing this tale with my child or nephew when the fourth anime adaptation of HxH is finishing up the Dark Continent Arc.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

kurapika is also a girl and going to marry leeorio

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Kurapika is a pretty dude, just like Kurama was a pretty dude.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

But seriously it's pretty goddamn amazing that Togashi took the King from something you were convinced was going to bring ruin to the entire world as soon as he was born all the way to someone you're kind of sad to see die.

Chimera Ant is a hell of an arc.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

tap my mountain posted:

What about kurapika

http://i.imgur.com/Nr0AcuJ.gifv

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Man, how do I unlock that alt costume for Arcueid?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Kurapika breaks the Miyuki Sawashiro = auto best girl rule.

Half because he's a boy, half because he's a poo poo.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Kurapika breaks the Miyuki Sawashiro = auto best girl rule.

Half because he's a boy, half because he's a poo poo.

He's a poo poo to people who get between him and the eyes.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
To be fair I'd be really pissed at people who got between me and my eyes, too.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

And now I've made it into the election arc

~ * my sparkly and charismatic boy is here * ~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Shugojin posted:

And now I've made it into the election arc

~ * my sparkly and charismatic boy is here * ~

You are quickly approaching the best scene in the anime.

You'll know it when you see it.