Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
An example of a full map, wrapped:

e: The sharper the angle, the better the ground looks... but I worry for playability/readability once tall terrain sprites get added.

e2: The more I think about this, the less I want to do it. There are technical complications. Perhaps as a luxury feature, later on, but not for v1.

e3: I mean I could always say "gently caress it" and do a full 3d map and just render to a texture. That'd solve the angle problem handily. It'd be a very different program though.

Corbeau fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Feb 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Though of course now I just had to figure out how to export from a camera... because it'll actually be useful.

Mmmm, crisp. This looks like all the other pics I've been posting, except this time I'm not cropping a screenshot of my screen in the editor - this is exported to a .png file (Unity doesn't even do .tga exporting by default because .tga is SO OLD). This is actually going to be super useful, since it's easier to spawn Unity sprites for scatter terrain and render the whole thing to a texture than it is to manually paste sprites over the underlying ground texture. Would also allow some incredibly easy modifications for "tilting" the camera.

Of course, it's always possible that some other horrible issue will rear it's ugly head and I'll have to do it the hard way anyway. :smith:

Corbeau fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Feb 8, 2017

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Corbeau posted:

Experimenting with perspective. This isn't an actual texture change, more a mock-up, but this sort of thing is what I think of for a kinda isometric view:

Doesn't come through great without art assets. My eye desperately wants a vanishing point, and there can't be one with an infinitely wrapping map. Now, if dom4's engine was accessible...

e: Mock-up with tiny mountain sprites (arbitrary scale):

I think it could work.

I think it doesn't really need to have a perfect vanishing point so long as you create a kind of orthogonal projection for it, similar to SimCity 4 style graphics:

As a point of comparison, you can look at one of the fully hand-drawn maps from Dom 4:

Where it doesn't really have a consistent perspective at all, but it FEELS like an isometric projection because the mountains and trees are drawn in side view, seemingly covering up things behind them.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Straight export from the program to imgur:

I think this is going to work. Will need the right sprites for trees and mountains, but...

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Does anyone know the mechanics for vampire freespawn for the Vampie Queen chassis? I just finished a disastrous game with LA Ulm and never saw any freespawn.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
you get a tiny chance per candle to summon a troop vampire every turn

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

I gotta say, the isometric-based map looks way more dominions-y than the original one. Make that a high priority for v2.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

this looks good and the game does not need any more dumb art in it. provinces being fully flat and colour coded is better than some artsy garbage with drawn in trees or wahtever

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

violent sex idiot posted:

this looks good and the game does not need any more dumb art in it. provinces being fully flat and colour coded is better than some artsy garbage with drawn in trees or wahtever

Your opinion is Bad and Wrong, but I imagine it wouldn't be too hard to have an option that generates a map and never applies art.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Warning: programmer art ahead!

Placed by hand in the Unity editor rather than procedurally, and only in a single forest province, and with a dash-off sprite, and with only a single sprite, but I think it proves the technical concept.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
And now with algorithmic placement and wrapping, albeit quite primitive (and still with eye-searing neon trees):

Definitely proves the concept imo. It's not particularly slow, either.

e: Still have to put border lines on another layer so they're drawn over the trees.

Corbeau fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Feb 9, 2017

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Maybe thin them out a bit.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Really? Well, perhaps. I'm playing around quite a bit with size, color, and density.

Plus it'd look better with a decent sprite. :v:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
They're going to have unit sprites in front of them. Less busy would make sense to me.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
This more like what you're thinking? I'm kinda trying to keep Peliwyr in mind.

e: Higher resolution:

e2: Even less density:

Corbeau fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Feb 9, 2017

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
Actually, I think that's more distracting and harder to parse. The dense style looks good to me and feels very readable, except for forests bordering each other needing to be clearly delineated, but then the way they flow into each other suits the naturalistic look of the province borders.

Mukip fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Feb 9, 2017

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, looking at those options, reducing the numbers doesn't help. It loses distinction.

Do the whole thing as little wooden statuettes like a classy eurogame.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
The darker colored trees were good.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Still feeling my way around the numbers.

e: I definitely like the darker ground in forests. Will keep that in mind when it comes to generating the ground texture.

Corbeau fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Feb 9, 2017

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Corbeau posted:

e: I definitely like the darker ground in forests. Will keep that in mind when it comes to generating the ground texture.

This is starting to look like it has the potential to look seriously good! Darker ground in forests is good, so are the more dense trees compared to sparse trees.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Corbeau posted:

Can you redraw the borders after the trees are populated? That should fix the issue with borders disappearing.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Corbeau posted:

this is the one

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Sloppy Milkshake posted:

this is the one

yeah, it's really coming together

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

that looks really really bad and instead you should just use flat colours

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

that looks really really bad and instead you should just use flat colours

It's exploring the concept at the most basic level with placeholder programmer art you insufferable twitwad.

Like, jesus, the default mapgen is pixel vomit, why are you making GBS threads on someone for attempting to do better than that?

I will say that a straight 2-D map trying to ape an isometric view makes for a somewhat jarring perspective. It mostly works, but sometimes you look at it and can't help noticing that the 'background' isn't actually receding anywhere.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

people don't ever take jsoh seriously for any reason whatsoever

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

Voyager I posted:

It's exploring the concept at the most basic level with placeholder programmer art you insufferable twitwad.

Like, jesus, the default mapgen is pixel vomit, why are you making GBS threads on someone for attempting to do better than that?

I will say that a straight 2-D map trying to ape an isometric view makes for a somewhat jarring perspective. It mostly works, but sometimes you look at it and can't help noticing that the 'background' isn't actually receding anywhere.

every part of the thing other than the trees is very good. adding the terrain pictures is unnecessary i think and everything looks better and cleaner with there just being a colour code for each terrain

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Actually putting some sprites there really does make it look isometric rather than just squished. If users can edit the sprites there could be all sorts of styles. (including no art at all for that one weirdo)

Dark ground - dense forest definitely looks the best so far. A dense forest like that looks more like a background rather than separate objects. High contrast, distinct separate objects should be reserved for stuff the eye needs to actually pick out.

Elukka fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Feb 9, 2017

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

I vote neon trees, highly artifacted and densely populated.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I vote always do the opposite of what jsoh says to do (unless he catches on and starts trying reverse psychology)

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Barono
May 6, 2007

Rich in irony and most satirical

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Border layer implemented:

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Corbeau posted:

Border layer implemented:

looks like it's having trouble with rivers behind trees

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

ChickenWing posted:

looks like it's having trouble with rivers behind trees

Nah, that's by design; the actual rivers will be wider, preventing trees from obscuring them. All of the terrain type transition borders will also be different enough to not require an explicit border line.

Which is why I'm drawing borders only between identical province types atm:

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

every part of the thing other than the trees is very good. adding the terrain pictures is unnecessary i think and everything looks better and cleaner with there just being a colour code for each terrain

I have a tool someone made that takes in a dominions map, and outputs a graph of circles connected by lines, representing the provinces and their connections. You can replace the map tga with it and play dominions as the purely abstract strategy game it was always meant to be. You might like it.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Scale test: I believe this is what the map would look like under ingame scale, using fort sprites for comparison. (Also, forts as start locations - I had to manually figure it out, but it's amusingly not that hard if you know the exact code.)

Scale looks roughly correct imo. Can't do much smaller, don't think I'd want any larger.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
corbeau what you are doing is insanely good and cool

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Ok so I wanted to a high astral pretender and someone suggested Sceleria. How do I play them? Reanimate with priests, communion up for skellispam in battles? The elite human fighters look good but uh, old age is really lovely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Millions and millions of skeletons, though with priest reanimation you often hardly need combat skelespam. Their sacreds aren't bad for early expansion, either, and if you take a blood bless then you might get extra mileage out of them later when someone evo-spams your undead horde.

• Locked thread