Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
The solution is reload your game so the knife reappears in your inventory at 0% and is now invincible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014

GlyphGryph posted:

I honestly really doubt you've actually had a moment of excitement from your knife breaking.

You are totally right and yeah, if you follow on that logic then you need to replace your wetsuit and fix the dents on the Seamoth. It has never been anything less than an minor annoyance. I suppose my main point was to argue that you should not look at realism but how right it feels. There is enough busywork without having to fix the knife. Give me a one use defense weapon like a bangstick or some electrical thing instead. That would be more tense.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Ooh, there's an idea. An electrical prod that is almost guaranteed to scare away stalkers or sand sharks with one good poke, but runs out of energy REALLY fast so you can't overuse it. Good for early-game stuff.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

GlyphGryph posted:

I honestly really doubt you've actually had a moment of excitement from your knife breaking.

And the knife is mostly only useful as a tool. You can drive some stuff off (or kill it) but the knife no longer snapping like cheap tin wouldn't suddenly make the knife a guarantor of survival in all hostile environments.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Speedball posted:

Ooh, there's an idea. An electrical prod that is almost guaranteed to scare away stalkers or sand sharks with one good poke, but runs out of energy REALLY fast so you can't overuse it. Good for early-game stuff.

Now some one use items (esp. if they need to be recharged back at base instead of just slotting a battery in) could be really fun as part of packing for an expedition in a dangerous area. I would be fine with that.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I'm still confused why you all are trying to knife fight a stalker instead of just running away like a sane person. It takes a dozen hits and the shark pretty much just runs away after you slash it once, you'd literally have to chase the thing down and killing it provides no benefit whatsoever :wtc:

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
I rarely knife stalkers, most of my knife usage goes into hitting plants to feast on their delicious moisture. The rest goes into knifing those eye spiders when i can't avoid them or chuck them with the gravity gun.

I'm not really sure why the knife breaks though. Usually by the time it's approaching 0 durability I have enough resources to build 10 more knives. I have never looked at a low durability knife and thought 'oh poo poo my knife! oh this is tense!'

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
My knife is for harvesting plants. Since diamonds are pretty common I usually upgrade to the hardened knife just so I don't have to keep remaking the drat knives every couple of harvests. I haven't used my knife against another critter since I got the seamoth. Now I just ram what I want dead.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Bhodi posted:

I'm still confused why you all are trying to knife fight a stalker instead of just running away like a sane person. It takes a dozen hits and the shark pretty much just runs away after you slash it once, you'd literally have to chase the thing down and killing it provides no benefit whatsoever :wtc:

Because it's being an rear end in a top hat and I'm sick of it's poo poo, so now it pays the blood price

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark

Bhodi posted:

It's a lesson to the others.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I stopped killing Stalkers about the same time I realized they play with toys and also they run away if I knife 'em once.

Other monsters can gently caress off but I'm okay with my occasionally dickish sharkdolphin neighbors.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

GlyphGryph posted:

It's obvious that they devs intend for the "normal" sequence to be "get propulsion gun, move boxes". So yeah it's still sequence breaking.

Like what do you think sequence breaking is, exactly, that this isn't?

The game doesn't really seem to have barriers against sequence breaking. If you have some titanium, the external growbed blueprint, brain coral samples, and probably a rebreather you can create a road of oxygen refills right down to the active lava zone before you set foot in the Aurora. I guess the temperature might be an issue down there, but you can probably force your way to some blood kelp and the reinforced divesuit blueprints with just a seaglide.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Night10194 posted:

I stopped killing Stalkers about the same time I realized they play with toys and also they run away if I knife 'em once.

Other monsters can gently caress off but I'm okay with my occasionally dickish sharkdolphin neighbors.

Stalkers are the best predators because they are the only ones with half a brain outside of "Is player in visual range to attack Yes/No?". Oh hey the player fed me a fish? We're cool long enough for them to cut open a wreck door in peace.

I will be saddened if they get reduced to braindead always aggro, which I'm sure plenty of people in the playerbase will act like is the greatest of AI "Realistic survival and immersion granting improvements", to reduce it's overall brainpower.

Which I'm assuming will be an inevitable side effect of the plot virus spread

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I really wish there were more complex predators. Stalker behaviour really is one of the best things about the game. At one point early in development I was super excited because of the promise of more stuff like that but... it doesnt really feel like it ended up going that way.

I really just want a game where I play as an alien naturalist and learn about the fascinating life of alien critters and how to love in harmony with them hahah my dream game is never going to exist

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Feb 9, 2017

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

GlyphGryph posted:

I really wish there were more complex predators. Stalker behaviour really is one of the best things about the game. At one point early in development I was super excited because of the promise of more stuff like that but... it doesnt really feel like it ended up going that way.

I really just want a game where I play as an alien naturalist and learn about the fascinating life of alien critters and how to love in harmony with them hahah my dream game is never going to exist

I want this so much.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

GlyphGryph posted:

Yeah I mean, I love being competent and able to defend myself instead of just having my end progression being similarly ineffectual as my start.

But I'd be all for not randomly physics gunning/robot fisting the poo poo out of all wildlife that comes near me or latches onto me/my vehicles if I didn't have to. Which can't be accomplished so long as the height of both predator and prey creature logic is "gently caress players."

Players running out of fish is realistic ecosystems (Yes, it's your fault even if you haven't touched a single wilde fish in 500m)! But Predator Prey balance? That's just too much work for the devs you're asking for unreasonable mechanics.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Night10194 posted:

I want this so much.

And thanks to Early Access I keep playing games that totally look like they might head in this direction (Subnautica, Dont Starve, a handful of smaller examples) but veer sharply away from it later in the development cycle.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
Someone just needs to port Unreal World into any decent-looking 3D engine.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Overwined posted:

Someone just needs to port Unreal World into any decent-looking 3D engine.

That's the Iron Age Finland Simulator, right?

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

Night10194 posted:

That's the Iron Age Finland Simulator, right?

Yup, which is very fun in its own, flat 2D way.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

My friends and I have been playing Haven & Hearth lately, its a lot like finlandsim, especially with permadeath, foraging, and crafting mechanics, but with a veneer of runescape style mmo over the whole thing. Very fun to play with a dedicated group since you can all specialize and fill different niches for your village.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

endlessmonotony posted:

Shut the hell up.

Hey, you unrepetant utter loving unpleasant, socially mal adjusted handicapped gently caress face. You reek of poverty and animal abuse.

The game is going through constant loving changes, and if you stopped jerking it for 5 goddamn seconds, and google'd around you'd see it was something that existed.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/264710/discussions/3/361798516966442331/

And it's been like that since at least late December, instead of telling people to shut the gently caress up, why don't you do a little bit of research.

Or stop posting, because post you make, is just another stunning endorsement of abortion.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
I miss the days when Lowtax would read posts out loud and put the audio files up for us to laugh at. I don't know why I thought of that just now.

Sanguinaire
Feb 10, 2003
There is/was a back way into that area if I recall. I stopped playing till I upgrade my computer to something that doesn't run like poo poo on minimum settings.

In the flooded hanger of the aurora, under water in the ruined section is a path to the research area. I found it mostly by accident while wandering around looking for more pointless poo poo to steal. The path leads to the computer core area, so I guess you could go that way if you don't have a propulsion cannon yet. I think it was near the hanger doors, not the side towards the way in.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Sanguinaire posted:

There is/was a back way into that area if I recall. I stopped playing till I upgrade my computer to something that doesn't run like poo poo on minimum settings.

In the flooded hanger of the aurora, under water in the ruined section is a path to the research area. I found it mostly by accident while wandering around looking for more pointless poo poo to steal. The path leads to the computer core area, so I guess you could go that way if you don't have a propulsion cannon yet. I think it was near the hanger doors, not the side towards the way in.

There was just a two-page argument about it. I posted evidence from August 2016 to February 2017 showing off the way in. The post with the "shut the hell up" has a screenshot from a fresh map (as you can tell by the fact that nothing's scanned) in the latest version from the Aurora Drive Room without the Propulsion Cannon unlocked, because I figured the best way to avoid pages of "no you're wrong" would be just to afk for half an hour waiting for the Aurora to blow up in order to provide proof.

Clearly I was wrong.

You can try the way in in the video I posted on a fresh save right now, too. It works.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Aurora boxes?!" Turtlicious kramers in the door and just keeps kramering, sliding off around the room, bouncing against bookshelves. he kramers against endlessmonotony's toilet, busting it up big time. you get the feeling he's trying to say something but he's kramering at such a high velocity you just can't quite make it out. as he finally nails a texture seam and falls out of the map you think you hear him exclaim "I'm an rear end in a top hat too, that's what's so CRAZY about this" on the way down

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Turtlicious posted:

Hey, you unrepetant utter loving unpleasant, socially mal adjusted handicapped gently caress face. You reek of poverty and animal abuse.

The game is going through constant loving changes, and if you stopped jerking it for 5 goddamn seconds, and google'd around you'd see it was something that existed.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/264710/discussions/3/361798516966442331/

And it's been like that since at least late December, instead of telling people to shut the gently caress up, why don't you do a little bit of research.

Or stop posting, because post you make, is just another stunning endorsement of abortion.

Nice meltdown.

Literally the second post in the link you shared tells you how to do what the other angry dude was saying.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Bhodi posted:

Aurora boxes?!" Turtlicious kramers in the door and just keeps kramering, sliding off around the room, bouncing against bookshelves. he kramers against endlessmonotony's toilet, busting it up big time. you get the feeling he's trying to say something but he's kramering at such a high velocity you just can't quite make it out. as he finally nails a texture seam and falls out of the map you think you hear him exclaim "I'm an rear end in a top hat too, that's what's so CRAZY about this" on the way down

I don't really get it but I still had a giggle good post mate :hfive:

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014
I still didn't agree with Mr. Shut up after our discussion, but I just figured that we would "agree to disagree" this thread has generally been pretty chilled and I figure we should all take a lesson from Spike Spiegel and "be like water"

I noticed playing last night when was buzzing around in my Seamoth near the Aurora box after dark and a Reaper snuck up behind me and jacked my rear end. Normally, when you spawn into an area with a Reaper, you hear his rear end even if you don't see him. But I literally did not hear a thing until he caught me. it's not a bug. I heard him plenty after I bailed and swam to safety of the Aurora box. And I heard all the other bad boys just fine. I know about the di-urinal behaviours that some creatures have. Is the Reaper quieter at night?

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
There's some sort of bug with large creatures spawning when and where they shouldn't.

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014

Mr. Crow posted:

There's some sort of bug with large creatures spawning when and where they shouldn't.

Yeah, thinking about it. The beast probably spawned behind me when I triggered the loading transition. You don't hear the echoy roar when they are close and they don't roar until they attack when they are close. It's a shame, it was a really effective gameplay moment.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

you can sprint and jump over the aurora boxes from the ramp down. idk if you're meant to, but you can, and they put little boxes the other side for you to jump up on and get over the big boxes when you leave. so i guess they knew people would go and get in without the prop cannon.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm mad about boxes

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Mr. Crow posted:

I don't really get it but I still had a giggle good post mate :hfive:
it's just one of our in-house memes https://www.google.com/#q=site:forums.somethingawful.com+kramers+in+the+door+and+just+keeps+kramering

Looks like my subnautica adventure is done for this patch, it's consistently crashing on me when it tries to load up objects, the logs say something about long delays and trying to de-cache resources. Could be the 20 hours on the save that's the culprit, it's OK, I'll explore the depths next patch. They still need to do a VR pass and make things like the compass and text at the bottom of the screen work. Also undocking seamoth/prawn from the cyclops spawns you in the game world where you last docked, not where the cyclops is on un-docking. All these are known bugs in trello, just need to wait for them to fix it!

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Feb 10, 2017

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
The underwater storage locker seems to eat items like a trash can does at the moment.

Did the western grassy plateaus wreck get mostly closed off recently? I can only explore two rooms.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Some wrecks are currently turbo hosed, they're moving them around and messing with what fragments you find where. This has lead to a lot of unintended side effects (Multiple wrecks occupying the same space, waaaaaaay to many fragments everywhere, no fragments at all) so if its seems weird assume its a bug.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
I've somehow constructed a Cyclops, a Moon Pool, and a modification station without ever finding the power cell charger and it's starting to become an issue. I'm pretty sure it just hasn't spawned in any of the regular wrecks.

I really wish there was some way of making your own map in this game. I can understand that a full map might make the game seem small, but I plodded around in the cyclops for literal real life hours before finding a biome with aluminium oxide in it, because somehow I always ended up bouncing between the mountain island, the mushroom forest and the koosh zone. Placing beacons is of limited use because there's no way to actually rename the things. Even a basic Minecraft style map that filled out as you moved around would help immensely.

Also I want a full steam ahead lever that makes the cyclops move at double speed in exchange for more power. holy poo poo that thing is slow.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Cicadalek posted:

Placing beacons is of limited use because there's no way to actually rename the things.

But you can rename beacons? You have to click on the front panel of it without accidentally picking it up again

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

oh, cool. I never thought to look at the beacon itself because I had assumed it would be on, you know, the part of the PDA dedicated exclusively to beacon management

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Cicadalek posted:

I've somehow constructed a Cyclops, a Moon Pool, and a modification station without ever finding the power cell charger and it's starting to become an issue. I'm pretty sure it just hasn't spawned in any of the regular wrecks.

They're down by the abandoned seabase in the jellyshroom caves. I've also found them on the seafloor in the sparse reef, although not lately.

If you have the vehicle modification station in your moonpool, the seamoth solar charger can turn the seamoth into a power cell charger. You should be able to find vehicle modification fragments along the side of the Aurora.