Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Rakthar posted:

I have no idea if you guys included "Races eating races" as one of the mechanics in the expansion, as one of the evil things you can do, with some simple checks that similar races don't like eating similar food, similar to religion. So that a plantoid neighbor would be upset if you turned on the cannibalism policy and started eating plantoid pops that you have vs a fungoid, that may not care as much, because you are going cross species.

jesus mary and joseph

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Wiz posted:

Okay, let me phrase your question for you properly: Is there in fact mechanics for determining whether the consumption of a particular alien race is or is not vegan in the next Stellaris update?

What do you *think* is the correct answer to that?

I mean, if there isn't an event about it included now, like some sort of vegan civil war, I will be pretty disappointed.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Kitchner posted:

I mean, if there isn't an event about it included now, like some sort of vegan civil war, I will be pretty disappointed.

First I need to add the 'gluten free' species trait.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Got a sinking feeling that somehow, arguments about the meaning of "collectivist" are going to get overshadowed by one dense poster not getting a joke about veganism.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

also please add 'carcinogenic' to uplifted and tomb world pops (because RADIATION)

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Wiz posted:

First I need to add the 'gluten free' species trait.

It's the same way that you pick up more AE for going to war against people of [x] religion if you have neighbors of that religion. If you can eat enemy pops for food, then I would imagine the neighbors of that race type would get more upset. Unless everyone agreed through the UN that plants or fish don't have feelings, just like they did on earth. Then, fuckem.

And I think this goes back to the 'tasty' trait discussion that happened earlier.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Need to know whether the "livestock" slavery option makes the radish people free range and/or certified organic.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

GunnerJ posted:

Need to know whether the "livestock" slavery option makes the radish people free range and/or certified organic.

the certification process is an edict that requires 1 influence a month

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

GunnerJ posted:

IDK, but I can tell you that there are definitely kosher alternatives on offer.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Wiz posted:

IDK, but I can tell you that there are definitely kosher alternatives on offer.

what about halal

this is important

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

i also need to know if arthropoid races count as meat for my lenten observances, plz clarify

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Rakthar posted:

This is really weird to me, like honestly. I can't tell the joke if it's a joke.

Since I haven't played the expansion, do different species types really treat this stuff differently or not? These constant jokes about stuff that hasn't been explained (and GunnerJ straight up making things up to get a response) get tiresome when trying to understand the upcoming features.

If this bothers you so much, just put "they are pure 100% Vegans and this is the definition of Vegan they are going by: " in your species bio and exterminate all other forms of life, problem solved.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Coolguye posted:

what about halal

this is important

Of course, you'll find it right next to the rawfood stand. Don't mind the screaming.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Wiz posted:

Yes but on the other hand eating plantoids is canonically vegan in Stellaris.

Wow so this gives a pretty huge disadvantage to certain playstyles thanks to you yet again incorrectly defining very important terms. I've run the numbers and this means anyone who PAID (I can't believe you charge money for content you've created commercially as a company) for the plantoid pack is at a giant mechanical disadvantage thanks to this giant nerf to veganism.

My ability to feel vegitable...

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
Add aquatic species to the game so my empire has someone to eat on Good Friday, please and thank you.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Tehan posted:

Add aquatic species to the game so my empire has someone to eat on Good Friday, please and thank you.

i wrote il papa and they're having a conclave about arthropoid races because technically right now it's chill to chow down on crickets and stuff

don't know for sure yet but the cardinal i talked to said he thinks it'll be cool

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
Races that only eat plantoids should automatically acquire the 'Weak' modifier and be palette-swapped with paler versions of the same race.

On a less trolly subject, the Supremacy tree is pretty loving baller and is probably going to be the second or third pick in all my games that involve combat, which is all of them. Get Indirect Democracy and its upgrade and you'll have five star admirals out of the gate.

ABen
Jul 11, 2008

Look - we need to have a stiff upper lip about this Black Death business.

Hey, I only have 30 hrs. in this game, but I wanted to sneak a quick post in and say:

Holy hell, I love what you guys already have. It nails that explore-y feeling in a way that I haven't felt in a lot of 4x space games before.

I realize that that may not last, and it may get boring at some point but hey, I've already got 30 hrs. in and it feels great so far.

Super excited about the next expansion, keep doing what you're doing.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Aethernet posted:

Races that only eat plantoids should automatically acquire the 'Weak' modifier and be palette-swapped with paler versions of the same race.

"There's been a mistake. You've accidentally given me the race that my food eats."

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

http://i.imgur.com/5vfPAPX.mp4

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
I do so hope that you can modify other races to produce more food while enslaved as livestock. Even if it's not in the base game, if I can find the hooks for it that will be a day one mod by me. Then I will travel the galaxy and uplift fledgling races to be my food. It will be the best.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

And uplifts get a happiness bonus whenever they're in your empire. Genius.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Jesus Christ, that's so sick. Like you could have eaten them as non-sentient creatures (maybe??), but nooo, you took the time to raise them up to self-awareness while indoctrinating them into believing that you, their gods, have given them the special and holy mission of being your food. Now they know what happening to them, they know and have been brainwashed or engineered into accepting it. :stonk:

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
this update is going to be so god drat huge, gently caress. hurry up.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

GunnerJ posted:

Jesus Christ, that's so sick. Like you could have eaten them as non-sentient creatures (maybe??), but nooo, you took the time to raise them up to self-awareness while indoctrinating them into believing that you, their gods, have given them the special and holy mission of being your food. Now they know what happening to them, they know and have been brainwashed or engineered into accepting it. :stonk:
Look, I don't know about you but I prefer my food to know it's my food before I eat it.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Tehan posted:

This please, I need to create a race of pescetarians so that I'll have something to feed to my race of decadent pesce-pescetarians.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

GunnerJ posted:

Looks like someone has never ordered steak at the restaurant at the end of the universe.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

PittTheElder posted:

This please, I need to create a race of pescetarians so that I'll have something to feed to my race of decadent pesce-pescetarians.

actually I think you want a race of Pescetarian-tarians. Pesce-pescetarians would be fish who only eat other fish.

Alternatively, make a race of Pesce-Pescetarian-Tarians. People who only eat fish who only eat other fish

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

GunnerJ posted:

hey check it out you made it literally vegan

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

GunnerJ posted:

Look a dumb animal may experience distress due to not understanding the vital role it plays in the perpetuation of your species.

It's really more ethical to ensure your food understands and is at peace with its role.

ChickenWing posted:

Alternatively, make a race of Pesce-Pescetarian-Tarians. People who only eat fish who only eat other fish

Pretty sure that's just a shark.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Eating pops actually feels a bit silly as a feature but it's a nice little evil option I guess.

Do wish there was more asymmetry with races though, so you could actually play something like tyranids and go off and eat whole planets. Every unique pop/race you eat gives you "gene points" or something on top of biomass which you use as a research boost currency. Like salvaging but for people.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

Eating pops actually feels a bit silly as a feature but it's a nice little evil option I guess.

Do wish there was more asymmetry with races though, so you could actually play something like tyranids and go off and eat whole planets. Every unique pop/race you eat gives you "gene points" or something on top of biomass which you use as a research boost currency. Like salvaging but for people.

Well the Prethoryn are basically Tyranids. And we don't know how the gene-modding ascension path will work yet.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

GunnerJ posted:

If you think about it, this is basically blood sacrifice, but instead of tossing virgins into a volcano you're herding grain-fed grass-finished people into the sacrifice-o-matic.

e: like would the ancient mayans have seemed quite so crazy if you found out one day that there were space-fungi "gods" that had threatened to "bring down judgement" on their villages with "heavenly" ultraviolet lasers

ChickenWing fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Feb 9, 2017

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Wiz posted:

Yes but on the other hand eating plantoids is canonically vegan in Stellaris.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
So if psionics is now Spiritualist-only, is the cyborg path going to be Materialist-only? That makes genetics the "neutral" ascension path and what everyone else does, I guess.

I hope non-Materialists can still make robots and synths and stuff, at least, even if they can't turn themselves into robots.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Endless Space 2 i'd barely call playable at the moment, but they have a lot of cool stuff I wish paradox would lift. Like all the races have pretty unique mechanics so it doesn't feel so samey. For instance the Horatio are a race of cloned mentally ill billionaires obsessed with genetic perfection. One of their unique mechanics is that where other races would want to conquer to peacefully annex minor races, they want to pretty much eat them. You melt them down for their unique genetics and use those points to improve your own race. Instead of building a multi-cultural society that tries to use each races best bonus, you just steal other races special bonuses and make them your own, at the cost of "eating" most of their population.

Stellaris making each ethos more unique is a bit of a step in the right direction, but I think they need to have some more biology-based mechanics rather than ideology. Have a biological trait where you eat minerals instead of food and some cool mechanics around that. Have a biological trait where you're parasitic and mechanics around that. Have biological traits that limit your people to certain ethos, like bloodthirsty orcs or endless space "Cravers" who simply can't be anything other than militaristic and use a different peace/war system since they're essentially always at war with everyone and everyone else looks at them as monsters. Have biological traits to be an actual hive-mind, with no ethos or factions, but some other interesting mechanic. Stuff like that.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

Depends on my race honestly.

Like sure yeah if I'm trying to make the Federation of United Planets here or something, then me turning galaxy wide eater is probably a bit hosed. Same if I go human/Earth based and decide to play a pretty normal human game.

If I'm making my species the loving terrifying spider people from spider planet, then yes it makes sense that we want your meat. Hello welcome to our collective friend fleshy, walk into this webbed room for your reward. Especially if I can uplift them into believing being our food is the gateway to god for them.

Considering the whole point of Stellaris is "make cool races/gently caress around the 4x" I think adding more options to flesh out the other style races is a good thing.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Coolguye posted:

hey check it out you made it literally vegan

:perfect:

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(

GunnerJ posted:

Now that would be fun for them to find out.
:catholic: We have travelled far to reach you, the last surviver of your ancient race. Now tell me, why did you create us!?
:v: Delicious friday movie-snacks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

It's a cookbook!

• Locked thread