Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I'd prefer a general strike of DoJ attorney s, ideally.

Wouldn't a strike by a public sector employee be illegal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Nitrousoxide posted:

If it were the only way to prevent unconstitutional executive actions, it would be Constitutionally mandated. The oath is not to the President; the president is not the client of the Department of Justice. The client is the Constitution.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Nitrousoxide posted:

The air traffic controllers tested this one under Reagan. It did not turn out well for them.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
So Marbury v. Madison got it wrong, the Court doesn't decide what's constitutional, individual DOJ attorney asked to defend something in court do. That's certainly a novel theory.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Number Ten Cocks posted:

So Marbury v. Madison got it wrong, the Court doesn't decide what's constitutional, individual DOJ attorney asked to defend something in court do. That's certainly a novel theory.
edit: i need to take my calming medicine

Does the executive not have a duty to follow the law just because the courts issue final legal rulings? Is anything the President does legal until the courts say no? Can an attorney be actively complicit in the commission of crimes just so long as a court hasn't found them guilty yet?
Is "just following orders" an excuse to commit war crimes?
Do prosecutors have an ethical duty to not prosecute individuals they know to be innocent?

DoJ attorneys have an independent duty to act according to the Constitution. In fact, all government officials do!

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Feb 8, 2017

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
“Just following orders” is a bad road to go down.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
You need to take a break man

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Number Ten Cocks posted:

How many Obama DOJ should have resigned rather than rack up the worst Supreme Court record in modern history?

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/23/us/politics/obama-supreme-court-win-rate-trump.html?_r=0
Someone better educated than me has to find the link to this, because I can't - I can only find Shipan and Moffett's "Liberal Justices, Conservative Cases? Explaining the Ideological Nature of the Supreme Court's Agenda" and I know that's not the one I'm looking for - there's a different paper that analyzed the types of cases brought before the Supreme Court, in terms of left-right ideological leaning, and found negative correlation with the Court's current leanings. Thus, presidents lose more often because the Court prefers to take cases that it ideologically opposes (in the mean) so that it can set new precedent.

Help me out, anyone?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/frankthorp/status/829446529089990657

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012
http://epstein.wustl.edu/research/JusticePresident.pdf

That might be it. Link is from http://epstein.wustl.edu/research/JusticePresident.html - searching for it lead me to a paywalled version.

I say might because I'm assuming Posner is an author and I only skimmed it.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

I'd prefer a general strike of DoJ attorney s, ideally.

Yeah, and half the nursing homes and ambulance companies out there should be unable to staff themselves, because any ethical medical professional should be unwilling to be associated with them, but but nothing is going to change and a man's gotta eat, y'know?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Number Ten Cocks posted:

I'm not seeing any victims here at all.

The thread is the victim, you, the perpetrator .

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

dont even fink about it posted:

This has nothing on the Bork obituary by Jeffrey Toobin, which is a pleasure to read.

http://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/postscript-robert-bork-1927-2012

That is both entertaining and informative: I did not know Joe Biden chaired the committee that borked Bork.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Nitrousoxide posted:

Yes, and we do not need a Trumper-led engine informally leaning on applicant assessments for those replacing fired strikers such that they're all alt-righters or at least Federalists.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Doc Hawkins posted:

That is both entertaining and informative: I did not know Joe Biden chaired the committee that borked Bork.

I agree and there's something that I adore about demolishing a person's character and reputation in their own obituary. Essentially gently caress you, we're glad you're dead because you were an unrepentant piece of poo poo and everyone should know.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

He needs to go Souter on Trump

Academician Nomad
Jan 29, 2016

Potato Salad posted:

Yes, and we do not need a Trumper-led engine informally leaning on applicant assessments for those replacing fired strikers such that they're all alt-righters or at least Federalists.
What's the difference if the current job holders do whatever Trump wants anyway?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Academician Nomad posted:

What's the difference if the current job holders do whatever Trump wants anyway?

They half‐rear end it and lose cases, rather than working zealously and still losing.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

edit: i need to take my calming medicine

Does the executive not have a duty to follow the law just because the courts issue final legal rulings? Is anything the President does legal until the courts say no? Can an attorney be actively complicit in the commission of crimes just so long as a court hasn't found them guilty yet?
Is "just following orders" an excuse to commit war crimes?
Do prosecutors have an ethical duty to not prosecute individuals they know to be innocent?

DoJ attorneys have an independent duty to act according to the Constitution. In fact, all government officials do!

A lot of our institutions are built on the idea of good faith actors. That's part of the problem we are encountering right now.

But, in short, yes. Assuming the Executive is acting in good faith, our system is designed such that his actions ought be viewed as legal until challenged. Prosecutors have to try and nail everyone, even people they personally suspect of being innocent, because that is their role in society. Can you imagine the reverse, where "guilty" people were refused defense?

I agree they have an independent duty to act according to the Constitution. But part and parcel with that is respective checks and balances.

Granted, a lot of these institutions are based on a gentleman's agreement with a heaping amount of white power, so when it gets abused, what can you expect?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Shbobdb posted:

A lot of our institutions are built on the idea of good faith actors. That's part of the problem we are encountering right now.

But, in short, yes. Assuming the Executive is acting in good faith, our system is designed such that his actions ought be viewed as legal until challenged. Prosecutors have to try and nail everyone, even people they personally suspect of being innocent, because that is their role in society. Can you imagine the reverse, where "guilty" people were refused defense?

Ah, I didn't say suspect, I said know -- and I asked that specific question because it's one on which the model rules of ethics are clear. ( http://www.americanbar.org/groups/p...prosecutor.html ). The reverse situation is not applicable; prosecutors, as government attorneys, have a higher ethical standard they must adhere to, because they wield the power of the State. The right to counsel is a shield, not a sword -- defendants have it because they are weak. The president isn't.

To be fair to your point in turn, though, yes, you are correct that the real debate here is over whether or not it is currently valid to assume that the executive is acting in good faith. Pretty much all my arguments above flow from the premise that Trump is an obvious bad faith actor. I personally believe that to be a valid premise but I will at least admit that a current DoJ attorney might have a more difficult time accepting that same premise, if only because of the old Upton Sinclair quote that it is very difficult to convince a man of something when his job depends upon not believing it.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Basically that. There aren't good counters to bad faith actors at multiple levels in the Constitutional system. Now that we've figured out ONE WEIRD TRICK it's pretty much a long slide into nothing.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Wouldn't the attorney's moral obligation be to make a bad argument and lose, rather than quit and let someone who might win take the case? With bonus plausible deniability.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

FuturePastNow posted:

Wouldn't the attorney's moral obligation be to make a bad argument and lose, rather than quit and let someone who might win take the case? With bonus plausible deniability.

Wilhelm Stuckart tried that defence at Nuremberg. It only kind of worked.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

FuturePastNow posted:

I do have to admit that I'm very apprehensive about what happens if everyone opposed to Trump resigns in protest, since that could just mean that he and Bannon get to remake the formerly non-partisan civil service in their own image which could be extremely damaging in the long run.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

FuturePastNow posted:

To Godwin's law this: if you were tasked to draft the Nuremberg Laws, would it be best for you to quit or try and argue the hardliners down to allowing those that have 2 Jewish grandparents count as full blooded Germans?

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Historically speaking, mass resignation by public servants doesn't work. It just enables the awful people they are resigning from to run hog wild. The Long March through the Institution doesn't work either, you become institutionalized. But institutionalized bureaucrats are neither nor. They have inputs and they have outputs. The society creating and surrounding those inputs/outputs may be deranged and insane. It may be evil.

But if the society is evil, and I believe the Trump administration is evil, I believe a rusty cog that slows the workings of the machine is far more damaging than a purposefully broken cog that can be immediately replaced.

There are arguments to be made for people of absolute necessity. I'm not big on the whole "Great Man" take on history but some people do mean more than others so when they say "gently caress no" it means something. But, even charitably, those "Great Men" insofar as they exist, aren't DoJ lackeys. So, we have to rely on rusty cogs, poorly calibrated, slipping cogs. That's where their power lies.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Shbobdb posted:

Historically speaking, mass resignation by public servants doesn't work. It just enables the awful people they are resigning from to run hog wild.

The other thing worth noting is that people who resign get replaced.

If the people in power are awful they're going to fill those posts with awful people.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The other thing worth noting is that people who resign get replaced.

If the people in power are awful they're going to fill those posts with awful people.

:thejoke:

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

hobbesmaster posted:

To Godwin's law this: if you were tasked to draft the Nuremberg Laws, would it be best for you to quit or try and argue the hardliners down to allowing those that have 2 Jewish grandparents count as full blooded Germans?

Quit, of course, so you could leave the country immediately.

...Oh. Oh!

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
https://twitter.com/senatorshoshana/status/829728671757918208

Number Ten Cocks fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Feb 9, 2017

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Already gone.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
It got replaced, I edited the link.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

The air traffic controllers tested this one under Reagan. It did not turn out well for them.

In one fell swoop, all federal attorneys are replaced by the liberty university law school class of 2016.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Ron Jeremy posted:

In one fell swoop, all federal attorneys are replaced by the liberty university law school class of 2016.

Staffing the DOJ full of inexperienced liberty university grads seems like it'd be a good thing for everyone that isn't in the administration.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

skull mask mcgee posted:

Staffing the DOJ full of inexperienced liberty university grads seems like it'd be a good thing for everyone that isn't in the administration.

Plus there aren't but so many liberty law grads. The number of attorneys is finite.

mediadave
Sep 8, 2011
In case anyone's interested, Neil Gorsuch's DPhil Thesis on assisted suicide is available to download from the Oxford University Repository:

https://ora.ox.ac.uk/objects/uuid:688e5b8c-bb06-4d86-abe0-440a7666ffc1

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

mediadave posted:

In case anyone's interested, Neil Gorsuch's DPhil Thesis on assisted suicide is available to download from the Oxford University Repository:

https://ora.ox.ac.uk/objects/uuid:688e5b8c-bb06-4d86-abe0-440a7666ffc1

Cliff notes:

quote:

I consider legal doctrine surrounding autonomy and personal privacy, and conclude that it is likely too weak a foundation on which to build a judiciallycreated right to assisted suicide (Chapter V). Because scholarly and legislative debate will not be confined by judicial doctrine, however, I consider three competing moral-political theories of autonomy. I find that two such theories could afford a right to assisted suicide and euthanasia, though, if so, they would likely require that the right be extended to all competent adults, not just the terminally ill or those suffering untreatable pain 

"Your body is not your own and even if it was we'd have to let anyone just kill themselves!"

Man gently caress this guy

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Platystemon posted:

Wilhelm Stuckart tried that defence at Nuremberg. It only kind of worked.

I was not aware of this episode.

I'd say that under the circumstances it really worked quite well.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I was not aware of this episode.

I'd say that under the circumstances it really worked quite well.

Yeah, "time served" is an amazing result. Doubly so for the guy who helped formulate jewish extermination policies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Emergency stay upheld.
Enforcement of the ban still blocked.

https://apnews.com/1d68613554f140a49cff4a6f987c4f7e?utm_campaign=SocialFlow&utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=AP

Here's the order
https://assets.documentcloud.org/documents/3457898/2-9-17-9th-Circuit-Order.pdf

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Feb 10, 2017