Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

hobbesmaster posted:

I believe harriers literally cannot?

Not without mattresses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

hobbesmaster posted:

They even have to dump some or most of their fuel iirc

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

The Pope posted:

An F/A-18 can't land back on a carrier with it's ordnance?

Depends on the payload. Remember that they don't have the room to do a soft landing, they have to slam down on the deck in what is often called a controlled crash. The heavier you are when you do that, the riskier the maneuver. Between jettisoning a bomb and breaking a wing, the choice is quickly made.

I know that in the French navy the heaviest configuration used corresponds to a take off weight of 21.5 tons. three tons less than the official MTOW. That's not a limitation of the catapults, that's so that nothing needs to be jettisoned in case the aircraft has got to cancel the mission and return to the deck immediately after take off.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

More illegal salvaging of WWII wrecks off Malaysia.

Chinese ship caught in the act, ostensibly 'authorized' by a Malaysian university.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Sperglord Actual posted:

Chinese ship caught in the act, ostensibly 'authorized' by a Malaysian university.

Trump University portfolio diversification looking good.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
Does anyone know which PATRIOT unit had an F-16 shoot a HARM through one of its radars in 2003? I've been trying to find this out but coming up blank.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Mortabis posted:

Does anyone know which PATRIOT unit had an F-16 shoot a HARM through one of its radars in 2003? I've been trying to find this out but coming up blank.

Echo Battery, 5th BN, 52nd ADA, 11th ADA BDE.

Edit: if you get weird results from that, it was later reflagged as an Avenger battery, then later as the maintenance company.

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Feb 9, 2017

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

mlmp08 posted:

Echo Battery, 5th BN, 52nd ADA, 11th ADA BDE.

Edit: if you get weird results from that, it was later reflagged as an Avenger battery, then later as the maintenance company.

Thanks! :angel:

(unfortunately I couldn't find pictures of F-18 or Tornado crashes that look as sadly pathetic as that F-16)

Mortabis fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Feb 9, 2017

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
http://www.businessinsider.com/f-35-slaughters-competition-red-flag-2017-2

BadgerMan45
Dec 30, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

They can barely even take off with any ordnance, still better than the yak though.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

pthighs posted:

I have finally caught up to this thread after several months of reading.

Things I have learned:
1) USMC Aviation may be superfluous
2) The F-35 procurement process has not been ideal
3) 747s making GBS threads out AMRAAMS sounds cool, but is not practical
4) It's a miracle we all haven't been consumed by nuclear fire
5) Baloogan drinks scotch and Red Bull

WRT #3, AMRAAMS, sure but I am still unconvinced that a helical magazine containing 777 filled with cruise missiles of varying types isn't a practical weapon.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
More on Russia's SkyNet
https://sputniknews.com/videoclub/201612311049159075-nerekhta-soratnik-drills-video/

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

http://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/7488/lets-talk-about-those-f-35-kill-ratio-reports-from-red-flag

Other questions about it, but until the conclusion I doubt we'll have much more information (if ever)

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

This is more like 1960s USA. Who cares about robotic anything any more? Cutting edge is autonomous, we'll just jam the robots control datalink.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

CarForumPoster posted:

we'll just jam hijack the robots control datalink.

Make the Rooskies think Maximum Overdrive is happening.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

An armed ground based drone, that's about the size of a BTR, that's capable of blowing up enemy fortifications by driving up to them and self-destructing but also pulls double duty as IFV meant to support friendly mechanized infantry.

Can't wait to read the friendly-fire incident reports. :allears:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
They will provide some sweet sweet dashcam footage at least

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Back Hack posted:

An armed ground based drone, that's about the size of a BTR, that's capable of blowing up enemy fortifications by driving up to them and self-destructing but also pulls double duty as IFV meant to support friendly mechanized infantry.

Can't wait to read the friendly-fire incident reports. :allears:

The Russian military has solved mine protection issues by simply turning their IFVs into VBIEDs.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

The Pope posted:

An F/A-18 can't land back on a carrier with it's ordnance?

I know that they do jettison ordnance, I don't know if they do it all the time or not. I suspect so, but oddly enough I've never thought to ask.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Shooting Blanks posted:

http://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/7488/lets-talk-about-those-f-35-kill-ratio-reports-from-red-flag

Other questions about it, but until the conclusion I doubt we'll have much more information (if ever)

I have a lot of questions myself, but a reputable source told me the F-35 loving won Red Flag like the Raptors showing up in 2005.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Godholio posted:

I have a lot of questions myself, but a reputable source told me the F-35 loving won Red Flag like the Raptors showing up in 2005.

It wouldn't surprise me in the least - the F-35 is a massively expensive, way behind schedule boondoggle. But if it delivers on what everyone expects/hopes to get from it, it will be a helluva plane. The lesson to be learned with the F-35 is really "don't try to do everything at once and be optimistic about the development cycle simultaneously"

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I just hope the F-35's ~epic victory~ wasn't due to 'classified' factors that allowed it to go 15:1 against OPFOR.

"For today's engagement, all planes are carrying simulated A-model AMRAAMs and rear-aspect Sidewinders!"

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Feb 10, 2017

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I just hope the F-35's ~epic victory~ wasn't due to 'classified' factors that allowed it to go 15:1 against OPFOR.

"For today's engagement, all planes are carrying simulated A-model AMRAAMs and rear-aspect Sidewinders!"

That reminds me what was that one exercise where a Marine General just went gently caress the rules and did some super gamey poo poo to troll the other side and the brass?

EDIT: It was Millennium Challenge 2002
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millennium_Challenge_2002

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

BIG HEADLINE posted:

By classified factors do you mean some not plane related thing? It seems highly probable that there are functions/capabilities of the plane that are classified. But yea if the F-35 had the benefit of a Link 16 data link to an AWACS/E-2/etc. from some box that isnt on the aggressor squadron that'd be BS.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Feb 10, 2017

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

CarForumPoster posted:

By classified factors do you mean some not plane related thing? It seems highly probable that there are functions/capabilities of the plane that are classified. But yea if the F-35 had the benefit of a Link 16 data link to an AWACS/E-2/etc. from some box that isnt on the aggressor squadron that'd be BS.

Yeah - I'm referring to 'hijinks,' not actual classified equipment on the plane itself.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

I just found out that Open Skies Observation aircraft (which let's be honest are spy planes) squawk 7007 and I love it

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

BIG HEADLINE posted:

That seems likely to me, based on what Lt. Col. Anker Steen Sørensen says.

Anyway exercises are not competition. Knowing the score is useless without knowing the exact terms of the engagements, and they're not divulging those.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009
I'm really curious to know how well the sensor fusion worked out.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

MazelTovCocktail posted:

That reminds me what was that one exercise where a Marine General just went gently caress the rules and did some super gamey poo poo to troll the other side and the brass?

EDIT: It was Millennium Challenge 2002
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millennium_Challenge_2002

Interesting longer read below.

https://warontherocks.com/2015/11/millennium-challenge-the-real-story-of-a-corrupted-military-exercise-and-its-legacy/

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Thomamelas posted:

I'm really curious to know how well the sensor fusion worked out.

Hopefully better than when the pilots had to turn off all their sensors but one in order to avoid track multiplication.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I was surprised the Aggressor guys were still in old Block 32s!

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

simplefish posted:

I just found out that Open Skies Observation aircraft (which let's be honest are spy planes) squawk 7007 and I love it

They're absolutely not. Each plane is inspected to ensure all equipment on board meets treaty requirements, can be bought by any treaty partner, and all data is freely available to everyone.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

holocaust bloopers posted:

They're absolutely not. Each plane is inspected to ensure all equipment on board meets treaty requirements, can be bought by any treaty partner, and all data is freely available to everyone.

It's one of the reasons Republicans trying to get Obama gently caress with the Open Skies treaty with the Russians was so dumb.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
Army drone lost in Arizona found in the mountains of Colorado
http://denver.cbslocal.com/2017/02/09/missing-army-drone-from-arizona-likely-found-in-colorado/

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Cat Mattress posted:

Hopefully better than when the pilots had to turn off all their sensors but one in order to avoid track multiplication.

Given the types of people I met in silicon valley and in engineering school elsewhere I have a feeling its hard for the defense industry to hire a huge number of really good software engineers. They tended to be either 1) liberal/anti violence and/or 2) have family still living overseas that would likely preclude them from that sort of work. Couple that with the high wages they can earn elsewhere and you've got a lot of challenges with who you can get to do something that hasn't really been done before.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

CarForumPoster posted:

Given the types of people I met in silicon valley and in engineering school elsewhere I have a feeling its hard for the defense industry to hire a huge number of really good software engineers. They tended to be either 1) liberal/anti violence and/or 2) have family still living overseas that would likely preclude them from that sort of work. Couple that with the high wages they can earn elsewhere and you've got a lot of challenges with who you can get to do something that hasn't really been done before.
Defense stuff tends to be extremely process heavy and uses a lot of obscure/obsolete technology as well. Programming in Ada and sitting through 20 meetings a week isn't super appealing.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

david_a posted:

Defense stuff tends to be extremely process heavy and uses a lot of obscure/obsolete technology as well. Programming in Ada and sitting through 20 meetings a week isn't super appealing.

Yea this is a fantastic point. Who learns Ada in school unless youre at a feeder for the local defense contractor?

EDIT:
I could make an app that helps people for $100,000/yr + $50k stock options in a company seeking an IPO or I could experience the joys of making DO-178 certified software that runs on a PowerPC and the 20 hours a week of reviews dealing with that process for $120k/yr.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Feb 10, 2017

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Speaking of programming, Army looking at Cyber direct commissioning program with a rank cap of Colonel http://taskandpurpose.com/army-want...m_medium=social

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

CarForumPoster posted:

Yea this is a fantastic point. Who learns Ada in school unless youre at a feeder for the local defense contractor?

EDIT:
I could make an app that helps people for $100,000/yr + $50k stock options in a company seeking an IPO or I could experience the joys of making DO-178 certified software that runs on a PowerPC and the 20 hours a week of reviews dealing with that process for $120k/yr.

I'd take the defence job, gently caress being paid in lottery tickets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

CarForumPoster posted:

No, that would be normal and exactly how it should've been. I guarantee there was an E-3 present, provided it didn't suffer a mechanical failure. Red Flag isn't a test program, it's a training event. The millions of dollars being turned into inebriation and jet exhaust aren't so it can prove that it does everything on it's own, it's to prove that it integrates with existing technology, doctrine, and tactics, and that it's crews can do the same. Particularly the last piece. Getting an AWACS feed doesn't immediately equal victory. You have to know what to do with it...if your system's even working. I watched an F-15 squadron commander, a guy who'd flown against enemy fighters, lock up a friendly because his MIDS terminal was malfunctioning so he didn't know who it was and the target failed the IFF test (due to a malfunction on the targeted jet). Fog of war's a very loving thing and it gets both better and worse the more complicated everything gets. For the record, I got called out in the mass debrief by that guy for saving him from causing a frat and directive targeting him to an actual adversary. The first and only time an Eagle driver was ever happy about directive targeting from C2.

Dandywalken posted:

I was surprised the Aggressor guys were still in old Block 32s!

Navy aggressors fly 10/15. And F-5s.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Feb 10, 2017