Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

You don't punch with an open hand.

edit: yeah, I know I know. :spergin:

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Feb 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Really they should have gotten The Raid fight choreographers to do the fight scenes, but that can apply to anything really; I mean Disney has all the money in the world, why not spare no expense?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

achillesforever6 posted:

Really they should have gotten The Raid fight choreographers to do the fight scenes, but that can apply to anything really; I mean Disney has all the money in the world, why not spare no expense?

Remember that all of Marvel TV is still under the penny pinching thumb of Perlmutter. So if the question is why doesn't this Marvel TV show spend money on X, the answer is that nobody could convince Perlmutter that 5 cents more in that department would result in an increase in the total profits. Keeping in mind that he could not be convinced that Gamora, Black Widow, or any other female character toy was worth it, because "girl toys do not sell". Despite a campaign asking for them.

Instead Avengers 2 toys went ahead and produced toys based on the scene where Black Widow rides a motorcycle out of a jet, but replaced Black Widow with either Captain America or Iron Man on the motorcycle, depending on the toy line.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Well he's right, girl toys don't sell if you don't make any.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

achillesforever6 posted:

Thailand is taking over from Hong Kong for martial arts movies. Hire some people away from Tony Jaa. Here, meet his protege, Jeeja Yanin. Lots of excellent choreography in here, with credits for action supervisors and choreographers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32wLKtZ_BJA

Yes, there was some Drunken Muy Thai in there. And the fight with the Grace Jones lookalike ? Not actually the final fight against that boss, it gets more intense later on.

I really got a sense from her first movie that she was being set up as the next Jackie Chan. It really comes out in this scene. She never starts on top, she gets hurt in fights, she uses the environment as weapons, and after the credits there's even a blooper reel like a lot of Jackie Chan's movies. She took some time off to have a kid, but she's back at work and I hope she has a long career.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrVvRkDxBaM

Note the potentially career-ending stunt at 2:20. The locker scene right after that is pure Jackie.

Chocolate and This Girl is Bad rear end are on Netflix. Raging Phoenix is inexpensive on DVD from Amazon.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Not even close to classic Jackie. :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3IwBS6uGV0

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Maluco Marinero posted:

DD was very amenable to hiding stunties given the costuming, and DeKnight has also had a lot of practice doing good action to a TV budget I guess.

The conditions in general were probably way better for DD to have good action compared to any other, and even that suffered in the ninja parts of season 2, due to the fact that you just can't get that much good manpower on the screen to do the concept well based on the budgets they're working.

edit: like there's no loving way Charlie Cox can do those quasi-one shots on his own if he doesn't have stunt support, and the costumes perfect for a stunty to step in given the right build.

No other Marvel-Netflix series has been amenable to that type of sleight of hand.

There was so much wrong with season 2 of Daredevil and the fight scenes were the most frustrating.

Can we just get DeKnight back since he was apparently the only one who can make a show with good action.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
pffff. Amateurs.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Well, I was trying to keep things grounded.

No one said anything about seeing things no one else can see and doing things no one else can do.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

tooterfish posted:

Well, I was trying to keep things grounded.

No one said anything about seeing things no one else can see and doing things no one else can do.

And having a massive buzz.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014
Eh, that fight choreography in Chocolate is good, but the sound design is still done by meat tenderizer to a side of beef. That's not exactly great.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

mllaneza posted:

Chocolate and This Girl is Bad rear end are on Netflix. Raging Phoenix is inexpensive on DVD from Amazon.

Are they on Canadian Netflix? I'm interested.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Samizdata posted:

And having a massive buzz.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

MonsieurChoc posted:

Are they on Canadian Netflix? I'm interested.

You guys get "The Kick", which is.... pretty good.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

This looks fake as poo poo. Might be the camerawork though.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

notthegoatseguy posted:

This looks fake as poo poo. Might be the camerawork though.

And the editing. See the Jackie Chan video posted last page,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1PCtIaM_GQ

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You can't do that a lot of that stuff on TV. Jackie Chan did dozens of takes for his movies.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

This show's called Iron Fist, not Drunken Fist.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Aphrodite posted:

You can't do that a lot of that stuff on TV. Jackie Chan did dozens of takes for his movies.

Yeah, the laugh track in Iron Fist will be made up of an in studio audience. You only get one take, and one audience reaction.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Drifter posted:

Yeah, the laugh track in Iron Fist will be made up of an in studio audience. You only get one take, and one audience reaction.

They're filming thirteen'ish hours of content in the same amount of time it takes to make a feature film. Cheap, fast, good, pick two still applies.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

howe_sam posted:

They're filming thirteen'ish hours of content in the same amount of time it takes to make a feature film. Cheap, fast, good, pick two still applies.

Also they get like, ~$40 million, while a feature film gets $100m+ and 18 months to do their 2 hours.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
It's not one of the Netflix shows, or even set in the MCU (it's the X-Men universe) but just saying Legion is pretty rad and worth checking out while we wait for Iron Fist.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I'm watching Nikita right now (shut up) and most of the action scenes rely on wayyy too many quick cuts.

But Maggie Q also carries herself with enough weight and force that you buy into her ability to just rain down hell on her physically imposing enemies.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Blazing Ownager posted:

(it's the X-Men universe)

It might not even be that! All we know about Legion is that it's set in a world with mutants

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

howe_sam posted:

And yet other TV shows can turn in fight scenes that don't look like freshman stage fighting class edited by a crankhead. I guess "good" wasn't on their short list.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

McSpanky posted:

And yet other TV shows can turn in fight scenes that don't look like freshman stage fighting class edited by a crankhead. I guess "good" wasn't on their short list.

You got an advanced copy of the entire season? Hook us up, fam.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
If the fight scenes in the trailer look crummy than its a legitimate criticism.

What bothers me is that they didn't try to disguise the sound stage in some of these scenes, like the one at the end where Danny spreads his arms wide.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Keep in mind that the preview footage of the Daredevil/Elektra fight netflix released was chopped to hell and looked awful.... only for the real fight to be one of the best in the series.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Narcissus1916 posted:

Keep in mind that the preview footage of the Daredevil/Elektra fight netflix released was chopped to hell and looked awful.... only for the real fight to be one of the best in the series.

If that turns out to be the case here then the blame simply shifts to the terrible advertising department.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

MiddleOne posted:

I've said it before and I'll say it again. There was a good show hidden in Daredevil season 2 but every time magical ninjas reared their ugly heads in they dragged the show straight down into the toilet. If the season would have cut everything related to the ninja-plotlines and focused exclusively on Frank Castle nothing would have been lost.

It's not like the ninjas were solely responsible for season two petering out. The climax of the Punisher arc was a complete wet fart, with or without ninjas. There's a big build up to Frank finding the man who killed his family, there's a story about how the guy who did is a major drug smuggler who can compete with Gao, they hire Clancy Brown to play the boss and Frank confronts him and kills him in minutes with no emotional climax at all. It's anti-climactic to the point that people in the thread didn't even realize that Clancy Brown, whose character is completely forgettable was the man ultimately responsible and thought it had just been put off till the Punisher's own series. I had to actually go and look him up just to make this post because he's such a non-entity, and even Wikipedia barely acknowledges the Blacksmith as an actual character - just as a motivation.

And with his reveal and confrontation being such a let down one of the main emotional beats that should be in the first season of the Punisher's own show is now wasted as a gap filler for a few minutes towards the end of another character's second season. The first 4 episodes or so of Daredevil season two with Matt fighting Frank are great, but after that while Frank has some good scenes and is still well acted he's not nearly as compelling, and starts to bounce around the show and plot. The scenes of him in prison during the hall fight and confronting Kingpin are great for instance, but a lot of the rest is forgettable. The ninjas aren't responsible, it just feels like the writer's were doing a season with Punisher and half way through got told to include Elektra too, and ended up smashing two half seasons together in a clumsy manner.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Yeah I don't disagree. At least Jessica Jones was mostly unobtrusive in its inclusion of Luke Cage but Daredevil season 2 was more Batman Versus Superman.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

MiddleOne posted:

Yeah I don't disagree. At least Jessica Jones was mostly unobtrusive in its inclusion of Luke Cage but Daredevil season 2 was more Batman Versus Superman.

Daredevil season 2 wasn't BvsS; it felt like it was a backdoor pilot for The Punisher and Elektra. The Punisher won.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I still can't believe how bad all the ninja fights in season 2 were considering the ninja fight in season 1 was like the best fight in a season with tons of great fights. It really feels like all the ninja stuff was half-baked, but it couldn't have been, they were building towards it for so long!

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Season two tries to blend a bunch of different tones and ends up whiffing on most of them.

For one, the show's urban gritty vigilante stuff is substituted for a much more traditional superhero story. I LOVED the rooftop conversation between Frank and Matt, but I had several friends who peaced out after that episode because it felt so generic to them.

The final few episodes blow chunks, as every single inch of the show just kinda disintegrates on contact. Everyone rightfully points out the Blacksmith "climax" as a shitshow, but I died laughing at how a medium sized explosion on a boat somehow is treated like Castle murdering half a platoon of thugs. Awful staging, with the same going for most of the bland ninja stuff too.

For me the season failed largely because it totally lost track of Matt Murdock's arc for the season. Focusing on Frank and Elektra is fine, and I can certainly see why they wanted to give Kingpin a season to collect himself. But man, I STILL could not tell you why Matt Murdock decides to shitcan his law profession during the Castle case.

I'm fine with Murdock being a gigantic dickbag (seriously, Matt in the comics is such an rear end), but I have to understand WHY he's detonating his friendship with Foggy. He goes from "I'm gonna sneak around with sexy ninja lady" to "gently caress my best friend" in like two scenes.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

howe_sam posted:

It might not even be that! All we know about Legion is that it's set in a world with mutants

Well, the lead character certainly seems to share a name and power set with Xavier's son.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

To me, re-watching DD Season 2, there are signs of a decline even in the early episodes. Even within the first episode, when Punisher murders the Irish gang, so many of the kills take place off-screen. Punisher isn't even in the same room at the time. And thematically I guess you could say it was to build suspense, but to me, that scene and many other fight scenes just looks cheap and tacky. It is almost as if DD Season 1 was set as pre-defined 4 shows+ mini series so maybe the budgets were a bit bigger. And now with all shows going into second seasons, spinoffs, etc... it is like they cut the budget and couldn't hire good fight choreographers or stunt men. While Punisher is the highlight of season 2, I almost wish they didn't include him so we could get a more full Hand story.

I also really think these Netflix series struggle to fill 13 episodes. DD S1 came closest with 12/13 being great and even the last episode was mostly good. Jessica ended strong but man did it drag in the middle. But Luke Cage and DD Season 2 had a complete poo poo latter half.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Yea they could probably lose a few episodes but they won't. Just be glad it's not 22.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

feedmyleg posted:

Maybe he could fight ninjas instead of street thugs? The ninja fight in Daredevil was easily its best

The hallway was definitely street thugs.

Guy Goodbody posted:

That's not because it's impossible to write a good Ninja story. The ninja stuff in Daredevil was bad because they refused to tell us what Black Sky was, so there were no stakes, we didn't really know why The Hand was bad, except that they wanted whatever the gently caress Black Sky was, presumably for bad reasons, there was no really compelling character related to The Hand, it was just generic faceless ninjas, and it divided the focus of the show, and made it feel like there was no coherent theme or goal.

The Black Sky was the enhanced kid, I thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

notthegoatseguy posted:

I also really think these Netflix series struggle to fill 13 episodes. DD S1 came closest with 12/13 being great and even the last episode was mostly good. Jessica ended strong but man did it drag in the middle. But Luke Cage and DD Season 2 had a complete poo poo latter half.

While Jessica Jones is my favourite of the Netflix series I think I disagree about where it dragged. The middle of the series had Kilgrave charming the power-hungry Jeri and immediately delivering on the monkey's paw, killing that cop whose name I forget, and facing off with Jessica and Trish. Jessica's domestic episode with Kilgrave was one of the strongest parts of the season I felt, as it gave opportunities to see Jessica using her wits instead of her strength, and to briefly see Kilgrave as a human being instead of a super-rapist.

I thought the finale, where the power levels become too explicit when Patsy dunks on Kilgrave (how do headphones work if you said he has pheromones already? And how do pheromones work on the phone??), and Jessica rediscovers the power to just reject him, was the weakest part of the show. I don't have a "better suggestion." I just wish that it had been less explicitly about Inhuman Growth Hormone and how it affected Jessica, Kilgrave, and Luke.