Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
“Time zones!”

—The FBI, probably

e: If only the FBI had snipers this good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
The FBI seems really bad at their jobs

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Dapper_Swindler posted:

so do you think the bundys are screwed this time or will they escape justice again :( because if they do, they will do this poo poo again and people(who arnt treasons sacks of poo poo) might die.

I don't think they're going to make it: the judge is REALLY really smart, cool and good.

http://www.nvd.uscourts.gov/bio/gloriamnavarro.aspx

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

GlyphGryph posted:

The FBI seems really bad at their jobs
Well duh, there is no entrapment or blackmail in this case.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

TotalLossBrain posted:

Looks like the FBI has some explaining to do, seeing how they arrested Ehmer on 1/27 and showed the court a warrant dated 1/28.
I'm not entirely inclined to believe the FBIs full story, especially in light of lying about the extra shots fired at Finicum's vehicle.
Which is too bad, because Ehmer was busted with Malheur money.

Brown doesn't seem to be buying it, either.

Edit: Additionally, the prosecutor is either an rear end in a top hat or a moron. He calls out Ehmer for being a felon with guns, despite the record having been expunged.
Off to a good start.

What's your source for all of this?

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I'm pretty sure I saw in on oregonlive. One of the regular Bundy reporter types tweeted a link to it a week or two ago.
The fact that Ehmer was busted with 'Friends of the Malheur NWR' checks and credit cards has been known for a while.

Edit: There's this, for starters.

Double edit: Here's the other piece

TotalLossBrain has issued a correction as of 04:33 on Feb 10, 2017

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

2 of the first trial's jurors spoke with OPB, it's airing now: http://www.opb.org/radio/programs/thinkoutloud/segment/portland-landlords-profiling-bills-malheur-refuge-trial-jurors//

i'm sure there will be a recording up by the time it ends

bellows lugosi has issued a correction as of 22:58 on Feb 13, 2017

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

ansel autisms posted:

2 of the first trial's jurors spoke with OPB, it's airing now: http://www.opb.org/radio/programs/thinkoutloud/segment/portland-landlords-profiling-bills-malheur-refuge-trial-juror/

i'm sure there will be a recording up by the time it ends

Your link isn't working, unfortunately.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

Your link isn't working, unfortunately.
I think it's missing an s.

http://www.opb.org/radio/programs/thinkoutloud/segment/portland-landlords-profiling-bills-malheur-refuge-trial-jurors/

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Thanks! Yeah, this is going to be interesting. Painful, but interesting.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

whoops!

I caught a few minutes with one juror who was convinced that Medenbach truly believed in adverse possession so he wasn't guilty of stealing the truck because he truly believed he did no wrong

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

ansel autisms posted:

whoops!

I caught a few minutes with one juror who was convinced that Medenbach truly believed in adverse possession so he wasn't guilty of stealing the truck because he truly believed he did no wrong

Does that count as an insanity plea?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Hitler believed that what he was doing was right.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Actual interview up

https://soundcloud.com/thinkoutloudopb/malheur-refuge-trial-jurors

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Realtalk, ansel autisms. I'm having a pretty good day so far. Do I want to listen to this?

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Discendo Vox posted:

Realtalk, ansel autisms. I'm having a pretty good day so far. Do I want to listen to this?

I listened to it. I stopped after one interview and that was of the juror who got kicked. if I listened to the chuckleduck who got him kicked I would have broke something.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Agean90 posted:

I listened to it. I stopped after one interview and that was of the juror who got kicked. if I listened to the chuckleduck who got him kicked I would have broke something.

Quoting mostly to preserve "chuckleduck" due to my own ties to the University of Oregon.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Discendo Vox posted:

I could only take about 5 minutes, jumping in halfway through during the broadcast

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Apparently it's 4 (the moron) and 11 (the one guilty vote who got booted)

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

ansel autisms posted:

Apparently it's 4 (the moron) and 11 (the one guilty vote who got booted)

Agean90 posted:

Juror 4's interview/argument was that the prosecutors blew the charges, and that they would have convicted any lesser charges.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Quoting mostly to preserve "chuckleduck" due to my own ties to the University of Oregon.

why is that word in autocorrect

why

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Agean90 posted:

why is that word in autocorrect

why

Apple always corrects "gently caress" to "duck"

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

CrazyLittle posted:

Juror 4's interview/argument was that the prosecutors blew the charges, and that they would have convicted any lesser charges.

What was his actual argument? Why would "lesser" charges have been valid?

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Discendo Vox posted:

that "true believers" don't run afoul of the laws as instructed by the court

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

CrazyLittle posted:

that "true believers" don't run afoul of the laws as instructed by the court

Ah yes, I do recall the doctrine of "ignorance of the law means you are right".

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
There is now video of Mumford getting tazed at the end of the first trial.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Discendo Vox posted:

His claim was that the court instructed the jury that one of the elements of the conspiracy charges was that people must be taking deliberate action with the stated intention of disrupting the federal officials. The conspiracy between yokel haram was only about "adverse possession" and they all claimed they never actually intended to disrupt or interfere with the federal officers. This means they couldn't be guilty of conspiracy to impede a federal officer.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

TotalLossBrain posted:

This looks like he was causing a scene and one of the officers tried to pull him away and he tried to yank his arms back from him. So he was physically resisting from the start. After a few of them grab him, he's still fighting with them.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
^^^^
A trial attorney causing a scene? Well I never.
What I cannot tell is what caused the guy in the white to walk in front of him and what caused him to put hads on the attorney.

TotalLossBrain posted:

I hope that has better resolutiin somewhere. I don't see anything that justifies the officer's (? Dude in the white) use of force, but without audio or clearer video that doesn't show poo poo.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

nm posted:

I hope that has better resolutiin somewhere. I don't see anything that justifies the officer's (? Dude in the white) use of force, but without audio or clearer video that doesn't show poo poo.

We live in a time of inexpensive, small 4k 60fps cameras. And yet, whenever the local PD post any kind of security camera photo of someone they're after, it's inevitably 320x200 and grainy as gently caress.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Mr. Nice! posted:

His claim was that the court instructed the jury that one of the elements of the conspiracy charges was that people must be taking deliberate action with the stated intention of disrupting the federal officials. The conspiracy between yokel haram was only about "adverse possession" and they all claimed they never actually intended to disrupt or interfere with the federal officers. This means they couldn't be guilty of conspiracy to impede a federal officer.

That would make sense if "adverse posession" were a thing that weren't defined as "disrupt and prevent the use of a location by others". But for them it's a magic word that lets them get what they want. They've drank the kool-aid.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

TotalLossBrain posted:

We live in a time of inexpensive, small 4k 60fps cameras. And yet, whenever the local PD post any kind of security camera photo of someone they're after, it's inevitably 320x200 and grainy as gently caress.

Ever tried to store all of that video?

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

True, but hard drives are getting cheaper. It might take 375MB to store a one minute 4K video or 3.75GB for 10 minutes, but that comes out to be 540GB for 24 hours. 1080p at 30fps gives you 216GB at 24 hours.

Of course, the thing is, even with falling costs, upgrading security cams is probably still very expensive.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

hobbesmaster posted:

Especially if it has to be streamed to a remote location since having bodycams store footage directly/only on the officer is a great way to ensure every bit of footage that shows cops in a negative light ends up missing or damaged and unrecoverable so I guess we just have to believe the cop because cops would never lie.:cop:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Discendo Vox posted:

That would make sense if "adverse posession" were a thing that weren't defined as "disrupt and prevent the use of a location by others". But for them it's a magic word that lets them get what they want. They've drank the kool-aid.

I never said that #4's reasoning was sound, but rather was just presenting his thoughts.

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum

hobbesmaster posted:

lets just put it all on a giant cloud-server data farm hosted by Google's parent company where the NSA can review it whenever they need to

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Laphroaig posted:

lets just put it all on a giant cloud-server data farm hosted by Google's parent company where the NSA can review it whenever they need to

Change NSA to FBI, and I would be 100% on-board since I think of police oversight as one of the FBI's duties.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Mr. Nice! posted:

I never said that #4's reasoning was sound, but rather was just presenting his thoughts.

Sorry, I'm just having a bad day.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Discendo Vox posted:

Sorry, I'm just having a bad day.

- America for the last 26 days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Evil Fluffy posted:

Especially if it has to be streamed to a remote location since having bodycams store footage directly/only on the officer is a great way to ensure every bit of footage that shows cops in a negative light ends up missing or damaged and unrecoverable so I guess we just have to believe the cop because cops would never lie.:cop:

Pretty much this, if you want interactions with the authorities to be recorded in a manner where the recording will be accessible after the fact you'd better make your own and save it to the cloud on the fly.

:lol: at anyone who thought body cams would make a drat bit of difference with police misconduct.