Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

King of Foolians posted:

Even if the potato story really happened (it didn't), I don't understand what the guy was planning to accomplish. In the story his girlfriend's family had the exact reaction he was expecting and his version of 'crap I kept digging myself deeper' just makes him look dumb. A better STDH would be claiming that he really did convince them he didn't know what potatoes were and hilarity ensuing.

quote:

My girlfriend (who let me tell you is only my 2nd girlfriend of all time) said I am "invited to dinner" with her and her parents. I was very aghast, nervous, and bashful to be invited to such a situation. But I knew it must be done.

"I was very aghast [...] to be invited to such a situation [dinner with girlfriend's parents]"

You know it's fake because you can imagine it being read by someone who thinks that being an eloquent story teller means using words and turns of phrases that make no sense like "invited to such a situation".

Gadzooks! how could a rapscallion such as myself find himself in such a perilous situation as this? Mayhap a bit of a jest might loosen their wickets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

YA BOY ETHAN COUCH posted:

"I was very aghast [...] to be invited to such a situation [dinner with girlfriend's parents]"

You know it's fake because you can imagine it being read by someone who thinks that being an eloquent story teller means using words and turns of phrases that make no sense like "invited to such a situation".

Gadzooks! how could a rapscallion such as myself find himself in such a perilous situation as this? Mayhap a bit of a jest might loosen their wickets.

Nah some nerds really talk like that. It's painful to hear.

Totally agree that it's fake, though.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

It reads less like someone trying to sound extra eloquent and therefore smart, and much more like someone whose first language wasn't English. There is too much overuse of phrases like "let me tell you" and a few too many grammatical errors. Someone repeating "let me tell you" as much as the writer did, tells me it's a fallback phrase because they aren't sure how to convey whatever it is they are trying to convey, and thus just repeat the same phrase because it's familiar to them.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

life is killing me posted:

It reads less like someone trying to sound extra eloquent and therefore smart, and much more like someone whose first language wasn't English. There is too much overuse of phrases like "let me tell you" and a few too many grammatical errors. Someone repeating "let me tell you" as much as the writer did, tells me it's a fallback phrase because they aren't sure how to convey whatever it is they are trying to convey, and thus just repeat the same phrase because it's familiar to them.

I think you overestimate the writing ability of many native English speakers. I can definitely believe that the story was written by a native speaker.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Post Your Favorite (or Request): Coldly Compiled Lists › shit_that_didnt_happen.txt: become known to them as a person who is amusing

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

So the friend I mentioned some pages ago has now set up a GoFundMe for her and her boys. $30,000, she says that’s how much Baby Daddy has owed throughout the years. She wants a good life for her sons and she can’t pay and is forced to live with her father. She claims her kids have a bunch of health problems (they have some but not as many as she claims and their bills are paid automatically except, she tells me, the dentist---despite claiming right in the description "medical bills") and one might need to go to St. Louis to be treated although I don’t know why Kansas City wouldn’t have anyone. I have never seen her oldest have seizures and I've known him since he was born. These apparently started when I just left KC.

She says she can’t raise the boys on her own, despite always getting promotions and raises. She does live with her dad, who pays for a lot of stuff. Her kids have plenty of toys, home-cooked meals, good social lives and are pretty happy kids considering they HAVE had some hardships in life. But not donate $30,000 hardships.

Edited: Decided to post screen grab instead of linking to the page.

bean_shadow has a new favorite as of 14:23 on Feb 7, 2017

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

You have to follow the beat!

Imgur loved this one.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Dejawesp posted:

Imgur loved this one.

I have a feeling this is some dude writing a parody of STDH, but picking something so stupid that it's like a STDH of STDH.

So it's basically STDH^2.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

You have to follow the beat!

LanceHunter posted:

I have a feeling this is some dude writing a parody of STDH, but picking something so stupid that it's like a STDH of STDH.

So it's basically STDH^2.

Yeah some guy wrote it and threw it out there like a hand grenade and every single MRI jumped on it as an example of how crazy the modern feminist is.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

I think you overestimate the writing ability of many native English speakers. I can definitely believe that the story was written by a native speaker.

True, perhaps it's just silly to think that someone who is a native English speaker should be able to write better than a non-native English speaker

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

Dejawesp posted:

Imgur loved this one.

Sources report they were able to prove he was imagining sex with the individual because of his facial expression

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

YA BOY ETHAN COUCH posted:

Sources report they were able to prove he was imagining sex with the individual because of his facial expression

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

More like oldpantless.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

I like how that one's subtle racism pushes the responsibility off on the reader by forcing them to make the assumption about what race the imaginary husband must be

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

red white and blue forever

I like how that one's subtle racism pushes the responsibility off on the reader by forcing them to make the assumption about what race the imaginary husband must be

Scooby Doo

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!

Hoover Dam posted:

Scooby Doo

:yikes:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Subtle?

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

I have no idea what this could be referring to. I can only think of Scooby Doo and that makes no sense as it is.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Garrand posted:

I have no idea what this could be referring to. I can only think of Scooby Doo and that makes no sense as it is.

Use your imaginasian

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

oldpainless posted:

Use your imaginasian

:doh:

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Garrand posted:

one part of japanese stereotypes in america is mixing up R's and L's while speaking english

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

This is my favorite thing that didn't happen

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
It's a stereotype for Chinese pronunciation as well, and I imagine it would extend to other east Asians as well. I had one guy try to explain to me that Chinese people pronounce their Rs as Ls and Japanese people pronounce their Ls as Rs and that's how you tell the difference.

Most languages have subtle differences between the way they pronounce their Ls and Rs and how separate they are. Even in native English speakers it takes a long time to get it down right - you don't get sent to a speech therapist until you're saying "woad" for "road" etc at the age of seven. The th sounds are also difficult (and in some places pronouncing th as f or d is a class or regional signifier). I've had ESL friends say that the th sound is one of the most distinctive parts of English, so the stereotype of an English speaker is someone lisping all the time. ESL speakers will often approximate it with D, T, S or Z until they get it down.

Anyway getting a room full of grade one kids to do the "red letter yellow letter" tongue twister is hilarious.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

It's a stereotype for Chinese pronunciation as well, and I imagine it would extend to other east Asians as well. I had one guy try to explain to me that Chinese people pronounce their Rs as Ls and Japanese people pronounce their Ls as Rs and that's how you tell the difference.

Most languages have subtle differences between the way they pronounce their Ls and Rs and how separate they are. Even in native English speakers it takes a long time to get it down right - you don't get sent to a speech therapist until you're saying "woad" for "road" etc at the age of seven. The th sounds are also difficult (and in some places pronouncing th as f or d is a class or regional signifier). I've had ESL friends say that the th sound is one of the most distinctive parts of English, so the stereotype of an English speaker is someone lisping all the time. ESL speakers will often approximate it with D, T, S or Z until they get it down.

Anyway getting a room full of grade one kids to do the "red letter yellow letter" tongue twister is hilarious.

Yeah, it's because Japanese and Korean (idk specifically about Chinese) have a sound that's somewhere between "l" and "r." Also, fun fact, the only other major Indo-European languages I can think of that have the "th" sound are Welsh, Icelandic, and Castilian Spanish

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

Koyaanisgoatse posted:

Yeah, it's because Japanese and Korean (idk specifically about Chinese) have a sound that's somewhere between "l" and "r." Also, fun fact, the only other major Indo-European languages I can think of that have the "th" sound are Welsh, Icelandic, and Castilian Spanish

Dunno about the Euro side of that, but Bengali has a specific "th" letter, so I assume Hindi does too.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

hyperhazard posted:

Dunno about the Euro side of that, but Bengali has a specific "th" letter, so I assume Hindi does too.

Is it pronounced the same as in English (i.e., [θ])? I don't think Hindi does, the sound transliterated as "th" is generally an aspirated unvoiced dental stop.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

It shouldn't be an issue with Chinese, which has both "r" and "l" sounds. Indiscriminate discrimination against Asians. :argh:

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
I was more seeing that whole thing as not racist, but not caring enough to lift his head from between her legs/giving her a hummer.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

oldpainless posted:

Use your imaginasian

haha

but yeah, it's an obvious racist gab against asians. Might as well sprinkle some little dick jokes.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

It's dumb for Chinese since it has distinct r and l sounds in most dialects, and the beijing dialect specifically has a copious amount of "r" sounds added to every word.

The area I'm in they do "n" as "l" and sometimes "h" as "f", though.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
H is also very fun. It can be a K or an F and even in English you can get people arguing about "a history" vs "an history"

The General
Mar 4, 2007

It's a history lesson.
It's an 'istory lesson.

It depends on how you say it.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

Koyaanisgoatse posted:

Is it pronounced the same as in English (i.e., [θ])? I don't think Hindi does, the sound transliterated as "th" is generally an aspirated unvoiced dental stop.

That's a great question that I don't have an answer to. I'm 100% going off of my husband's name, which has a soft "th" (almost like a mix between "t" and "th"). His relatives in India can pronounce it better than either of us can.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
When I first read the potato story I was like "who is this stupid bullshit supposed to fool?" but it cracks me up now for how it spirals out of control.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

The General posted:

It's a history lesson.
It's an 'istory lesson.

whatever, eliza doolittle.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Dejawesp posted:

Yeah some guy wrote it and threw it out there like a hand grenade and every single MRI jumped on it as an example of how crazy the modern feminist is.

What's really crazy is how close to plausible this is for people to believe it. It's just close enough to pass casual muster.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

The General posted:

It's a history lesson.
It's an 'istory lesson.

It's awful 'ot and awful 'eavy.
It's hawful hot and hawful heavy.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Khazar-khum posted:

What's really crazy is how close to plausible this is for people to believe it. It's just close enough to pass casual muster.

In what bizarre universe is that even remotely plausible?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

No, they didn't.

No.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I could go en pointe for like, two seconds/long enough to snap photograph too. Especially if I was holding onto a doorknob.

GreenMetalSun has a new favorite as of 03:59 on Feb 10, 2017