Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
There are only like 7 ballots for the MMA awards, get some votes in, please?

Thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

I became a Bisping fan when he avenged the untimely death of one of my favorite fighters

R.I.P Chris Weidman, who at this point unfortunately may stay dead

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
I genuinely thought at one point that Weidman had a shot at retiring undefeated. I thought the same about Ronda. Proving beyond any doubt that I don't know what I'm talking about

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Work Friend Keven posted:

Conor pre aldo fight: not that good actually
Conor now: went 1/1 against nate Diaz at catchweight, beat alleged strikeforce fighter Eddie Alvarez, clearly the best fighter in the world, levels beyond a bum like Jose Aldo.

Thank you for finally acknowledging that you cant tell who the better of 2 fighters is by having them fight each other and one easily beating the other

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Conversely I'm saying you can't tell how good they are in relation to each other by what they've done since fighting each other.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Idk but at this stage I just tend to assume every vaguely successful English athlete is juicing. They're the new Spain.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Conversely I'm saying you can't tell how good they are in relation to each other by what they've done since fighting each other.

Well... in that case the only piece of evidence we have, suggests, that Conor mcgregor is much better than Aldo :mrgw:

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Todd Duffee must also be one of the best fighters in the UFC

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

manyak posted:

Well... in that case the only piece of evidence we have, suggests, that Conor mcgregor is much better than Aldo :mrgw:

Even if Conor beats Aldo 10/10 times that doesn't mean he is a better fighter than Aldo imo. Aldo's run at the top was amazing and Conor has a long way to go before he does something like that.

Though I don't agree that Conor is some transcendent being since the Aldo fight now or whatev that dude was saying

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
https://www.instagram.com/p/BQTztjDhkkM/

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

EmmyOk posted:

Even if Conor beats Aldo 10/10 times that doesn't mean he is a better fighter than Aldo imo. Aldo's run at the top was amazing and Conor has a long way to go before he does something like that.

Though I don't agree that Conor is some transcendent being since the Aldo fight now or whatev that dude was saying

I agree im just giving the man Keven a hard time because he usually insists that if 2 guys fight, whoever wins is the better fighter overall, an idea which is very easily disproven

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS

EmmyOk posted:

Aldo's run at the top was amazing and Conor has a long way to go before he does something like that.

Does he though?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

EmmyOk posted:

The alvarez win was really impressive, he managed to lose to Nate Diaz and then beat him less convincingly that non-transcendental beings like Ben Henderson and Joe Stevenson, who I just realised have identically structured names.

Dangersim posted:

Does he though?

Yes

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFQmBSh8aRE

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

manyak posted:

I agree im just giving the man Keven a hard time because he usually insists that if 2 guys fight, whoever wins is the better fighter overall, an idea which is very easily disproven

My mistake!

Dangersim posted:

Does he though?

I think so and I bet anything that you wouldn't call Weidman better than Andy!

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

EmmyOk posted:

My mistake!

I think so and I bet anything that you wouldn't call Weidman better than Andy!

Certainly not, but other then an all time great finally getting beat I don't think those situations are really all that similar

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

I'm not really trying to argue if one is better then the other, just that I don't know if Aldo's reign of dominance is really way more impressive then what conor has done. And I was there for the whole thing.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

LobsterMobster posted:

Thread

nah

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Dangersim posted:

I'm not really trying to argue if one is better then the other, just that I don't know if Aldo's reign of dominance is really way more impressive then what conor has done. And I was there for the whole thing.

You don't know if going undefeated against the top tier of a division for between 5 and 7 years is really more impressive than two legitimately impressive wins and a whole bunch of 'meh' and extremely qualified wins? (The Aldo knockout and the Alvarez knockout were both amazing, waiting for Mendes' body to shut down and having to wrestle a 12 year old max holloway, less so)

Snowman_McK fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Feb 10, 2017

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD

manyak posted:

I will admit that Aldo badly mismanaged his energy in assuming that the fight would be over in seconds, resulting in a serious gas out. However, I think given time to adjust and gameplan, he won't make that mistake again.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Snowman_McK posted:

You don't know if going undefeated against the top tier of a division for between 5 and 7 years is really more impressive than two legitimately impressive wins and a whole bunch of 'meh' and extremely qualified wins? (The Aldo knockout and the Alvarez knockout were both amazing)

What is an "extremely qualified" win?

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

LobsterMobster posted:

Thread

I'm too ill informed. I'm doing you a favor by not filling in a ballot.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

I will admit that Aldo badly mismanaged his energy in assuming that the fight would be over in seconds, resulting in a serious gas out. However, I think given time to adjust and gameplan, he won't make that mistake again.

I think that if Aldo really put his mind to it and transcended, like Conor, he could go on to win an unconvincing decision over the man that soundly beat him the first time.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Dangersim posted:

What is an "extremely qualified" win?

A man who took the fight on less than two weeks notice gassing out.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Snowman_McK posted:

waiting for Mendes' body to shut down and having to wrestle a 12 year old max holloway, less so)

Oh stop this nonsense

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Dangersim posted:

Oh stop this nonsense

Mendes gassed really badly. You can tell by watching the fight, and noticing when he gasses really badly. It's in the first round. It goes downhill from there.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Snowman_McK posted:

Mendes gassed really badly. You can tell by watching the fight, and noticing when he gasses really badly. It's in the first round. It goes downhill from there.

Was his before or after he got hit in the body a million times? I thi k it was after.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Just to make sure, this is also the fight where he could never stop moving or he would get caught against the cage right?

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

I your in such poor shape you start gassing minutes in your doing a really lovely job of being a professional athlete.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Snowman_McK posted:

I genuinely thought at one point that Weidman had a shot at retiring undefeated.

You and I both. I'd rather believe he just made some bad strategic moves against two very tough opponents in a row rather than being a victim of the IV ban or USADA regulations. Hopefully it's not the latter but I don't know enough about that stuff and don't want to speculate.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

lol

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
god, you assholes

defending a title 0 times is basically the same as defending it 7 times

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

LobsterMobster posted:

Thread

Done, you'll never guess which ballot is mine.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
You cant really compare Conor and Aldos accomplishments. Aldo only has 9 fights in the UFC whereas Conor has 10 in half the time. He fights more than twice as often and fights at all different weight classes, on short notice against bad matchups etc, whereas Aldo only fights when the circumstances favor him and constantly pulls out of fights due to injuries. Conors victories are also usually a lot more impressive -- hes finished 6 opponents in the UFC and Aldo has only finished 2. he has twice as many belts in different weightclasses also. Overall i think Aldo still has time to catch up with Conor's achievements if he works hard, hes only a few years older than him

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Per Fight Matrix's historic MMA rankings:

Aldo's UFC fights (ranked 1st, until Edgar fight)

Mark Hominick, April '11 - 9th
Ken Flo, Oct 11 - 2nd
Chad Mendes, Jan 12 - 4th
Frankie Edgar, Feb 13 - 2nd (LW)
Zombie, Aug 13 - 14th
Lamas, Feb 14 - 5th
Mendes, Oct 14 - 3rd
Conor, Dec 15 - 3rd (closest ranking was October '15) (Jan 16, Aldo 3rd, Conor 1st)
Edgar, July 16 - 1st (Aldo ranked 4th)

Conor's UFC fights

75th LW vs Brimage, April '13 - 32nd
18th vs Holloway, Aug 13 - 68th
19th vs Brandao, July 14 - 30th
19th vs Poirier, Sept 14 - 10th (Closest ranking was July '14) (October 14, Conor was 7th, Poirier 16th)
7th vs Siver, Jan 15 - 19th
5th vs Mendes, July 15th - 4th
3rd vs Aldo, Dec 15 - 1st (closest ranking Oct '15) (Jan 16, Conor 1st, Aldo 3rd)
1st vs Diaz, Mar 16 - 9th LW (Closest ranking Jan 16) (April 16, Conor 2nd, Nate 2nd)
2nd vs Diaz, Aug 16 - 2nd LW
6th WW vs Alvarez, Nov 16 - 1st

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

It's a delicate dance, fight promotion.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Aldo has also been the #1 Featherweight in the world before the UFC had the division, and fought (and beat) nearly every FW worth mentioning. Conor's rise has been nothing short of amazing, but barely going 1-1 with Nate Diaz in vanity fights while not defending your belts isn't nearly as impressive.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
the only division which conor has looked invincible in was the one that his own coach said his size advantage was unfair.

in the division he should probably be fighting in he's a great fighter who is not yet as accomplished as noted bantamweight frank the answer edgar

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Marching Powder posted:

the only division which conor has looked invincible in was the one that his own coach said his size advantage was unfair.

in the division he should probably be fighting in he's a great fighter who is not yet as accomplished as noted bantamweight frank the answer edgar

Which divisions has aldo looked invincible in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Mr. Carlisle posted:

I became a Bisping fan when he avenged the untimely death of one of my favorite fighters

R.I.P Chris Weidman, who at this point unfortunately may stay dead

The last I saw Chris Weidman he was sprawled on the ground bleeding profusely from a head wound, so it's most likely that he is actually dead.

• Locked thread