Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

You don't even need to do much. There's a form on the Lego site where you put in what parts you're missing and they just send them you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
The only missing piece I've ever had was, oddly enough, one of the big ship hull segments from the Queen Anne's Revenge.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

uXs posted:

I don't think it's one extra of every color, that would be pretty ridiculous. They just err on the side of caution and you'll always have some random extra pieces of small poo poo.

Guarantee if you kept track you'd find a pattern. There is always an extra 1x1 for every color that appears in an individual bag.. unless there's a manufacturing error and the sorting machine miscounted (which is why the extra piece is there to begin with).

These are the extra parts for just the vw beetle (which is sort of unique in that they give you three different options for the license plate, which is why there's extra black and white plates in there).

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Captain Invictus posted:

You're a shitbag

Why? The box and all the bags had been opened, so the item was unusable, and was already missing two bags of stuff. A few extra pieces missing from that is nothing as payment for being disappointed on Christmas Day (I was building it with my 7 year old nephew), and spending time and petrol money partially disassembling the set to fit it back in the box, taking it back to the shop and waiting another three days for another set to be delivered.

Beyond all that I highly doubt it would be cost efficient for Tesco to go to the trouble of packaging the box up and sending it off to have someone at Lego then disassemble and inventory every single part to work out exactly what was missing and then repackage the set to sell again as new, and even if they did, they're out barely a Euro's worth of parts to replace what I took above what was missing already.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Butterfly Valley posted:

Why? The box and all the bags had been opened, so the item was unusable, and was already missing two bags of stuff. A few extra pieces missing from that is nothing as payment for being disappointed on Christmas Day (I was building it with my 7 year old nephew), and spending time and petrol money partially disassembling the set to fit it back in the box, taking it back to the shop and waiting another three days for another set to be delivered.

Beyond all that I highly doubt it would be cost efficient for Tesco to go to the trouble of packaging the box up and sending it off to have someone at Lego then disassemble and inventory every single part to work out exactly what was missing and then repackage the set to sell again as new, and even if they did, they're out barely a Euro's worth of parts to replace what I took above what was missing already.

Why not just keep everything but a single 1x2? I mean if you're going to steal you might as well go crazy.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's okay because it was Christmas and someone was disappointed their present wasn't perfect. That justifies theft.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
I'd never touch the knockoff sets this thread seems happy to discuss with a barge pole, I was just providing an alternative experience about Lego's apparently faultless customer service.

The condescending sanctimonious tones are funny but don't pretend you wouldn't have been annoyed in the same situation, and don't act like you genuinely don't see the difference between stealing new sets off the shelves and this.

I'm genuinely curious what their protocol is in this situation. Like I said I doubt the set even made it back, but if it did then think of the amount of work they'd have to do to repurpose it as a new set. Manually deconstructing it, then sorting and identifying every piece there and what's missing, cleaning the pieces because they have to plan for the lowest common denominator of users, throwing out the manuals and replacing one for the same reason, then having to order the replacement parts and divide it all back into the right bags - there's no way this would be cost effective.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Being annoyed is 100% justified.

What doesn't work is "I received 99% of this product, and am returning 95% of this product, and now I expect you to give me 100% of this product back." And then acting like picking your favorite bits out of the defective version is your privilege for being inconvenienced.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Do whatever, but don't brag about it.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

xzzy posted:

What doesn't work is "I received 99% of this product, and am returning 95% of this product, and now I expect you to give me 100% of this product back." And then acting like picking your favorite bits out of the defective version is your privilege for being inconvenienced.

I think it's fantastic that lego is as cool as they are about replacing missing parts, and I can understand people's desire to not be dicks and abuse that.

But when you put it like that it seems even less bad. Like, I don't think it's totally unreasonable for a customer to expect some compensation for needing to go through the trouble of coming back to the store to do a replacement because of a problem that was no fault of the customer's.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

xzzy posted:

The problem here is that he received 70% percent of the product and returned 69%.

It was unethical but no one is really hurt by this in the long run. Well, other than the OP who got a mark on their karma. The set got tossed in the garbage with or without the figures pilfered.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Oxyclean posted:

I think it's fantastic that lego is as cool as they are about replacing missing parts, and I can understand people's desire to not be dicks and abuse that.

But when you put it like that it seems even less bad. Like, I don't think it's totally unreasonable for a customer to expect some compensation for needing to go through the trouble of coming back to the store to do a replacement because of a problem that was no fault of the customer's.

poo poo happens, being a poo poo on top of that shouldn't make you feel better. Two wrongs don't make a right and all that other stuff most people learned as a child.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Butterfly Valley posted:

I'm genuinely curious what their protocol is in this situation. Like I said I doubt the set even made it back, but if it did then think of the amount of work they'd have to do to repurpose it as a new set. Manually deconstructing it, then sorting and identifying every piece there and what's missing, cleaning the pieces because they have to plan for the lowest common denominator of users, throwing out the manuals and replacing one for the same reason, then having to order the replacement parts and divide it all back into the right bags - there's no way this would be cost effective.

I remember apparently when they're designing the sets, the leftover pieces from whatever workday just get thrown into a grinder to be remolded/ maybe thrown out entirely (I forget), rather than resorted for use again. I expect it's the same for returns.

my stance is basically:

Captain Invictus posted:

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I'm more bothered by the idea of waste than some nebulous deontological concept of theft so I'm pretty secure in my karma levels. It did bother me when I was taking the set back knowing it was most likely going to end up junked. Apologies for this boring derail but I had no idea it was going to be so contentious.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Koramei posted:

I remember apparently when they're designing the sets, the leftover pieces from whatever workday just get thrown into a grinder to be remolded/ maybe thrown out entirely (I forget), rather than resorted for use again. I expect it's the same for returns.
I think the designers might use superglue, at they do on the giant displays. Kinda makes sense to just trash 'em afterwards, unless they want an army of people just for disassembling sets. It would be more awesome if they just sold or gave away assembled poo poo out of the back of a truck at the end of the day. :can:

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Butterfly Valley posted:

I'm more bothered by the idea of waste than some nebulous deontological concept of theft so I'm pretty secure in my karma levels. It did bother me when I was taking the set back knowing it was most likely going to end up junked. Apologies for this boring derail but I had no idea it was going to be so contentious.

Just go to another forum, find a post, and judge the OP. That's what makes the forums go round.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
Anecdotal, but I have a friend who worked at TRU for a while. He said they just threw returned merchandise in the bin, regardless of its condition.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Captain Invictus posted:

The lost eleventh commandment.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

MaliciousOnion posted:

Anecdotal, but I have a friend who worked at TRU for a while. He said they just threw returned merchandise in the bin, regardless of its condition.

Yeah, that set he returned was 100% binned. No one who works in retail actually send defective products back unless they cost hundreds of pounds more than the store can afford to write off. I know for a fact the Lego store near me throws returned and opened sets away and let's staff pick out what parts they want.

Everyone needs to get off their high horses because some poster benefitted from the mistake of a multi billion insured company.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

PriorMarcus posted:

Everyone needs to get off their high horses because some poster benefitted from

Being against stealing is a high horse now?

quote:

the mistake of a multi billion insured company.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Whole lotta jorts getting soiled in here.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I'd get it if they were buying sets, pulling the minifigs, then bringing them back to lie about missing parts. That's downright lovely.

This is morally questionable, but seriously, who's actually losing out? For how little the thread seems to give a poo poo about bootlegs it feels funny to see people get riled up about this.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Captain Invictus posted:

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Christ if I wanted to hear people fight about loving return policies I'd go stand around at Walmart customer service.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

He should have taken the minifigures but replaced them with lepin knockoffs imo

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Any idea when we're getting the new Star Wars sets in the US? I really need that Phantom 2. I haven't bought a lego set since the Disney castle for Christmas , and I need to fuel my addiction.

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life
I build a lot of Technic and Lego seems to always forget to include a gear or something. Like I've had 4 sets where I had to stop or scavenge a gear from another set in order to finish while I waited for Lego to ship me one.

Gears are important! Also they never include extras.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

VaultAggie posted:

Any idea when we're getting the new Star Wars sets in the US? I really need that Phantom 2. I haven't bought a lego set since the Disney castle for Christmas , and I need to fuel my addiction.

Probably 3/1. They were featured on the March store calendar.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

My local .99 cent store has a fuckload of dimensions packs for some reason, LOTR, Simpsons and Portal 2, picked up 2 of the portal ones because the mini scale things are awesome.

Check your local .99 cent stores, US folks.

ptkfvk
Apr 30, 2013

anyone have any good city inspiration? ive gotten really enamored with the current line of city trucks and stuff and am thinking about putting together a little town/ airport sort of deal. ive been looking for some cool city set ups but am having trouble finding anything huge and well done

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Legojang on YouTube has a massive city collection. I'd only ever seen his reviews, but he posted a video of it today.

deoju fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Feb 10, 2017

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Someone made an Ice Planet Millennium Falcon.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
That's fantastic, I always thought the Millennium Falcon needed more Orange Transparent Chainsaws.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Frozen Pizza Party posted:

My local .99 cent store has a fuckload of dimensions packs for some reason, LOTR, Simpsons and Portal 2, picked up 2 of the portal ones because the mini scale things are awesome.

Check your local .99 cent stores, US folks.

Did it have a name? All the ones here are Dollar Tree.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

ElwoodCuse posted:

Did it have a name? All the ones here are Dollar Tree.

It is called 99 cent store, think they are only in western us?

Edit: here you go http://99only.com/

tomapot fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Feb 10, 2017

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
The Lego Batman Movie was just okay, but I need them to make that Egghead mech a set right now.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I'd say it was better than okay, but a little bit confusing and not in the same league as TLM. But TLM is like a top tear Pixar film.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I'd say the Batmab Lego movie was fantastic. My only real complaint is that the Dimensions tie in really pulled the focus off of Batman's rogues gallery and thus the Bat-lore.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
My oldest brought home one of those Schoalstic book catalogs, and they have a Lego Batman Movie book with an exclusive Batman in a tartan kilt and broadsword minifig. I'm really tempted....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Colonial Air Force posted:

My oldest brought home one of those Schoalstic book catalogs, and they have a Lego Batman Movie book with an exclusive Batman in a tartan kilt and broadsword minifig. I'm really tempted....

I've seen that book in stores too.