Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/SandhuMMA/status/829685697804169216

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Coker also said he's talking to Mike Goldberg about possibly working dates that their current PBP guy can't fulfill.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

That's a cool and good fight and I am super excited to see Rory fight again.

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

MAY 19TH

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013

DumbWhiteGuy posted:

There was some speculation that Bellator might get moved to another network, including maybe MTV, which is funny for a lot of reasons.

If true, that's bad news for bellator, moving to a channel with way less avg viewers, in less households, and worse in 18-45 all by a large margin.

Plus the viewership they lose merely by switching channels.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

thats cool, i got rory for sure

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
More excited about Goldie possibly calling Bellator.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

kimbo305 posted:

More excited about Goldie possibly calling Bellator.

He was done dirty, sure as gently caress. I'd like to know he's still getting paid.

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Lord Waffle Beard posted:

If true, that's bad news for bellator, moving to a channel with way less avg viewers, in less households, and worse in 18-45 all by a large margin.

Plus the viewership they lose merely by switching channels.

It's staying on Paramount

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

I just really hope Rory getting punched in the nose won't make him fold like a chair from now on, having such a lovely injury hamper your career like that is tragic.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Looks like Road FC 36 was on Youtube and Herb Dean was exiled to Korea to referee: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUjqPDP7otY

I'm scrubbing through it and watching on 2x helps but here is the notable stuff:
Chang Hyun Kim vs. Andy Main (fun grappling fight) 2:29:08 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUjqPDP7otY&t=8948s
YOSHIKO vs. Sun Yoo Cheon (extreme lol) 4:46:37 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUjqPDP7otY&t=17197s

Didn't see anything else, main event was bad. Nothing good on the ONE Championship show either.

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing

Boco_T posted:

YOSHIKO vs. Sun Yoo Cheon (extreme lol) 4:46:37 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUjqPDP7otY&t=17197s

hahaha

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

YOSHIKO vs Cyborg, please.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Boco_T posted:

Didn't see anything else, main event was bad. Nothing good on the ONE Championship show either.

mr announcer + bruce buffer should get together with their wives and swap car keys

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
is that the yoshiko who ruined a wrestlers career by assaulting her during a show ?

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Looks like it.

quote:

Road FC used the incident with Yasukawa to promote the debut, dubbing Yoshiko the "face-crusher".

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
i hope she gets to fight someone whos really good then

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I.N.R.I posted:

is that the yoshiko who ruined a wrestlers career by assaulting her during a show ?

straight up crippled Act Yasukawa(sp?) for having the temerity of getting a gimmick over without her approval. That's why I'm hoping Cyborg'll do a charity run to wreck her poo poo.

El Roncho
Oct 15, 2006

I'm not necessarily proud of this but I'm gonna leave it here anyways.
Gabi Garcia is more likely but it's no guarantee she'd win.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

El Roncho posted:

Gabi Garcia is more likely but it's no guarantee she'd win.

She makes Brock Lesnar look talented at MMA. Someone post the video of her doing stand up.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
brock lesnar is talented at mma....

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Skip My Posts posted:

brock lesnar is talented at mma....

He's a gifted athlete and experienced college wrestler, but talent? I see this rapidly going into semantics of which I'm not interested. But he is the epitome of naturally gifted (INSANELY HUGE AND ATHLETIC) but not talented in my little notebook.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I don't want to get in to semantics, but that's all I got so

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Captain Log posted:

He's a gifted athlete and experienced college wrestler, but talent? I see this rapidly going into semantics of which I'm not interested. But he is the epitome of naturally gifted (INSANELY HUGE AND ATHLETIC) but not talented in my little notebook.

talent
[tal-uh nt]

noun
a special natural ability or aptitude

sorry for the semantics

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
Pudz is insanely huge and strong, but he's not talented at MMA.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Captain Log posted:

She makes Brock Lesnar look talented at MMA. Someone post the video of her doing stand up.

Brock Lesnar is talented at MMA. Semantically, technically, however you want to dice it.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Fedor/Meathead is this weekend!

:getin:

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Captain Log posted:

he was the heavyweight champion. what do u think talent is. for a little time there was literally nobody in the world better than him at his class

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Captain Log posted:

His wrestling is insanely good, which is a core aspect of mma, which is talent.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Captain Log posted:

She straight out looks like Brock Lesnar.

Gzuz-Kriced
Sep 27, 2000
Master of Spoo

I.N.R.I posted:

he was the heavyweight champion. what do u think talent is. for a little time there was literally nobody in the world better than him at his class

I think Brock was/is a good fighter, but I can't get behind that. There were definitely better heavyweights that he hadn't fought. De Randamie won the title but I don't think anyone is going to argue there's literally nobody in the world better despite her currently being on top.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Gzuz-Kriced posted:

I think Brock was/is a good fighter, but I can't get behind that. There were definitely better heavyweights that he hadn't fought. De Randamie won the title but I don't think anyone is going to argue there's literally nobody in the world better despite her currently being on top.

I keep meaning to ask, is you name supposed to be a soundalike for Jesus Christ?

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Gzuz-Kriced posted:

they should have fought him then in my opinion. if theoretical results are what decides whos the best at something then why bother getting out of bed

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

I.N.R.I posted:

they should have fought him then in my opinion. if theoretical results are what decides whos the best at something then why bother getting out of bed

Well some people thought Cain velasquez was better than him and then they fought and Cain won. So sometimes the guy with the belt isnt the best guy but its a good approximation

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

manyak posted:

Well some people thought Cain velasquez was better than him and then they fought and Cain won. So sometimes the guy with the belt isnt the best guy but its a good approximation

we see it differently, my stance is that you become the best when you win and then the other guy becomes the best when he beats you. i think successfully making it to the start line in winning form is a big part of athletics too

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

I.N.R.I posted:

we see it differently, my stance is that you become the best when you win and then the other guy becomes the best when he beats you. i think successfully making it to the start line in winning form is a big part of athletics too

Yeah i think thats reasonable but i think you underestimate the politics in combat sports sometimes. Like in boxing theres probably 10 "world championships" of all different promotions so which belt holder is the best? or if your manager owns the promotion and gives you a title shot after 1 win when some other guy has 10 better wins? Sometimes two guys who are considered the best will end up never fighting each other (in their prime at least) because of the logistics of setting up the fight, the promoters rigging it, etc so you have to read between the lines a bit more

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Sorry to start the derail. I think we are all in the same place with different opinions. I personally differentiate being gifted with being skilled. Brock Lesnar is a UFC caliber great fighter but there is nothing technical about him. Plop him in a smaller body and he'd be Wild Bill's fight champ and that's about it.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

Captain Log posted:

Sorry to start the derail. I think we are all in the same place with different opinions. I personally differentiate being gifted with being skilled. Brock Lesnar is a UFC caliber great fighter but there is nothing technical about him. Plop him in a smaller body and he'd be Wild Bill's fight champ and that's about it.

Shrink Jon Jones arms to normal size and he wouldn't be so great. Slow GSP's speed down to match the rest of the division and he wouldn't be so great. Take away Anderson Silva's PEDs and he wouldn't be so great... oh wait.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

manyak posted:

Yeah i think thats reasonable but i think you underestimate the politics in combat sports sometimes. Like in boxing theres probably 10 "world championships" of all different promotions so which belt holder is the best? or if your manager owns the promotion and gives you a title shot after 1 win when some other guy has 10 better wins? Sometimes two guys who are considered the best will end up never fighting each other (in their prime at least) because of the logistics of setting up the fight, the promoters rigging it, etc so you have to read between the lines a bit more

its a hostile environment for sure, moreso than in other sports because the way it is is that theres no clear progression to the top and not every fight can be judged conclusively but its BS all the fighters are dealing with, some better than others. unless theres something truly underhanded going on like match fixing or company sponsored ped use i personally think using a bit of social engineering or riding on your established accomplishments to get a leg up is fair game and just another way for a fighter to shine. of course it dilutes the concept of who is actually the better fighter but generally the cream rises to the top and then sooner or later loses to a better style of cream in a cage fight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Shrink Jon Jones arms to normal size and he wouldn't be so great. Slow GSP's speed down to match the rest of the division and he wouldn't be so great. Take away Anderson Silva's PEDs and he wouldn't be so great... oh wait.

Eh, I get what you're saying but I don't agree. Especially Anderson, he is so technical half his fights look like movies.