Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

quote:

Lisa’s cat, Snowball II, was hit by a car in the Season 15 episode, “I, D’oh-Bot” (2004). Lisa gets two cats to replace it, Snowball III and Snowball IV, both of which promptly die. Her next replacement, Snowball V, doesn’t die and she renames it Snowball II so that she doesn’t have to buy the cat a new bowl and to save herself from thinking about her cat’s death. After Lisa vows to act like the whole thing never happened, Principal Skinner walks by and asks, “That’s really a cheat, isn’t it?” Lisa responds, “I guess you’re right, Principal Tamzarian,” causing Skinner to call the cat “Snowball II” and walk away.

That is some cringey poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL

Quote-Unquote posted:

Reminder that there was an entire episode explaining the backstory of Moe's dirty bar rag.

When something like this is greenlighted, everyone's just phoning in. Why bother?

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Blind Pineapple posted:

Good lord, all this "Principal and the Pauper" chat, and it turns out they went back to that well repeatedly.

A well so nice they visited it twice! Thrice! Six times.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

Rambling Robot posted:

When something like this is greenlighted, everyone's just phoning in. Why bother?

For whatever reason, investors still consider the show important.

death by computer
Sep 6, 2010

Anyone remember the episode where Moe falls in love with a midget and tries to shorten himself with surgery so they can be together?

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

death by computer posted:

Anyone remember the episode where Moe falls in love with a midget and tries to shorten himself with surgery so they can be together?

Lol

e: Nevermind, this actually happened.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Yeah, the Simpsons is definitely in the "Tyson Zone" - where there is no way to distinguish actual episodes from weird poo poo that people just made up.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Simpsons voice actors get $300,000 to $400,000 per episode

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
LOL the voice actors were making $400,000 an episode before they agreed to take a pay cut. Probably around $300,000 to do the equivalent of a talking krusty doll recording.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
^pretty much. Supposedly they don't even do it in person half the time and over the phone instead.

Think about that. They raised a fuss over the pay cut when they literally just phone it in for like an hour or two a week.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Yeardley Smith only does Lisa and she gets the same amount as real voice actors like Dan Castellenetta who can do many chracters

sout
Apr 24, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5ffaTv4ajg

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWgI2YAupCM

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Ein cooler Typ posted:

Yeardley Smith only does Lisa and she gets the same amount as real voice actors like Dan Castellenetta who can do many chracters

Hank Azaria doesn't even voice a family member.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Harry Shearer doesn't even voice a family member

unless Mr Burns married Selma in one of the new eps or something

TwoStepBoog
Apr 12, 2008

lol I picked a random later episode to read the plot of and it involves Comic Book Guy getting married to a young Japanese girl writing a manga with the help of Homer and Stan Lee.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Quote-Unquote posted:

Reminder that there was an entire episode explaining the backstory of Moe's dirty bar rag.

Jeremy Irons was the voice of the rag.

Oh, you think I'm making this up.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

11. Mona Simpson died

Homer’s mother, Mona Simpson, passed away in Season 19’s “Mona Leaves-a” (2008). Mona showed up at the Simpsons’ door, asking for Homer’s forgiveness and promising that her days of activism are over and that she wants to move in with the family. Homer refuses to forgive her, upset about her repeatedly leaving him as a kid, but when he changes his mind and goes downstairs to make peace, he finds her dead. Homer then does “one more stupid hippie protest” in his mom’s honor.

That doesn't sound very funny, Simpsons.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

TwoStepBoog posted:

lol I picked a random later episode to read the plot of and it involves Comic Book Guy getting married to a young Japanese girl writing a manga with the help of Homer and Stan Lee.

Scudworth posted:

get the gently caress outta here

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Simpsons need to just reboot the show with a whole new direction.

Homer and Marge become detectives and solve mysteries and they bring along Maggie who points out clues. Bart is now Sideshow Bart on Krusty's show. Lisa is secretly a superhero working with aliens and occasionally runs into Kang and Kodos.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

JediTalentAgent posted:

Simpsons need to just reboot the show with a whole new direction.

Homer and Marge become detectives and solve mysteries and they bring along Maggie who points out clues. Bart is now Sideshow Bart on Krusty's show. Lisa is secretly a superhero working with aliens and occasionally runs into Kang and Kodos.

This was also an episode.

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL

Scudworth posted:

Oh...You're really aren't...

"At the 64th Primetime Emmy Awards in 2012, Hank Azaria was nominated for the Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Voice-Over Performance for his performance as Moe, Chief Wiggum, Carl, Comic Book Guy, Duffman and Mexican Duffman in this episode."

What a joke...

Rambling Robot fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Feb 9, 2017

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Ein cooler Typ posted:

She must be thanking God daily after getting into the Simpsons.
She was always the 'frumpy quirky' one in her roles before, and with her looks only destined to play a female Ferengi on Star Trek at some point.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Simpsons really, really should have aged the people just a bit. New circumstances, new developments, new perspectives. It could have been something more than the flaming tire heap of springfield that it is now.

Can anybody actually point me toward an actual good episode from the last ten years?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

the only other thing i know yeardley smith from was a brief appearance in City Slickers, where she tells one of the friends who go on the ranch trip that she's pregnant and he's probably the father
she died before Phil Hartman. or are you saying she was a scientologist too?

TwoStepBoog posted:

when FXX had that Every Simpsons Ever marathon a couple years back, the NY Times did an editor's choice list of the best episodes of the show. this was the only post-Season 8 episode that made it

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Son of Rodney posted:

Can anybody actually point me toward an actual good episode from the last ten years?

Someone whose opinion I usually trust told me that s17 e19 "Girls Just Want to Have Sums" where Lisa pretends to be a boy is good, I have not watched it yet.
Note that this episode is from 2006.

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
Fire everyone but castelletta and azaria

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Son of Rodney posted:

I've only seen a handful of them but Bart's New Friend from 2015 (season 26) and The Book Job from 2011 (season 23) come to mind.

Of course, you can't watch them ever expecting them to resemble the classic era at all, but about twice a season they manage to pull off an episode that works and isn't total trash.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Son of Rodney posted:

Simpsons really, really should have aged the people just a bit. New circumstances, new developments, new perspectives. It could have been something more than the flaming tire heap of springfield that it is now.

The Lego episode.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
...was a relatively boring cash-in on the lego movie, and it even followed the same moral lesson if I'm remembering right

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i'm not sure what year Season 19 was, but an episode called "Eternal Moonshine of the Simpson Mind" was one of two post-Season 9 episodes voted on as a Top 100 all-time episode by fans of an active Simpsons online community. thanks to the goon that posted the link to that Zombie Simpsons site btw

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

TwoStepBoog posted:

I don't see why Marge v. Monorail is constantly ranked as the best Simpsons episode. Sure, it's good, but I don't think it's the best.
I'd give that honor to Last Exit to Springfield.
But, good for Conan for only writing 3 episodes and having one of them be the consistently-ranked best.

I forgot what this episode was so I googled it and now it's going to be stuck in my head for days.

Luckily I know two other languages so it's like a merry-go-round of it!

Здоровые зубы! Лизе нужны пластинки.

Plan dental! Lisa necesita frenos.

Someone give me the Japanese version now so I can have another one in my rotation (I understand 日本語 but no write good).

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

get that OUT of my face posted:

the episode where the kids were abandoned on the island

"it tastes like... burning"

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
I do wonder if it's the nostalgia goggles and if we saw the early seasons now would we hate them

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k

Nonviolent J posted:

I do wonder if it's the nostalgia goggles and if we saw the early seasons now would we hate them

Nah, I started watching from the beginning a few years ago, 1-2 were kind of 'we're testing this out', 3-7 were amazing, 8/9 had good ones, and I couldn't watch past 10. I watched a few episodes past that here and there and they were all garbage. I also remember that, as a kid, I stopping watching them around mid-season 8 because it started to be super boring/crappy.

Also,

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

my favorite episode is probably "Boy Scoutz N Da Hood"

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

The one good thing about Maxtone-Graham

quote:

At 6'8" (2.03m), Maxtone-Graham inspired a character on The Simpsons: "Very Tall Man", who first appeared in "22 Short Films About Springfield"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWct_KYGRQo

And now you know that really was his personality.

Also if Simpsons aged in real time then you wouldn't get cool poo poo like this anymore https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpEhs67ViXg

Instead he would be having flashbacks to post-9/11 Kandahar

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Nonviolent J posted:

I own seasons 4-8 and they're all still really good on their own. I showed them to my old younger roommate who grew up hating the Simpsons and they turned him around on them completely

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

BattleMaster posted:

I was browsing Youtube for Simpsons stuff and I discovered that for some inscrutable reason they did a hit against the EPA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uWTDbfZHQo

yeah take that EPA

i laughed pretty hard at the cutaway to the angry screamapillar wearing a neck brace in court :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k
I called my big cat Bitey.

For real.