Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
You shouldn't skip Adachi, his Link is cool and his schedule is super erratic so it actually can be hard to max it out if you ignore it too much. Also try to get started on Kanji's Link when you can since unlike the rest it doesn't just start right away within the story, you have to initiate it yourself by talking to a student who suddenly starts showing up in your class's hallway (he/she should stand out a bit). The reason I bring this up is that eventually Summer vacation starts and you can't visit school at all for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Each dungeon has it's own music. I don't think you can change it (unless that's a Golden thing) but it's pretty varied so you don't end up listening to endless remixes of the same theme like in Tartarus.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
On rainy days IIRC you can go have the massive meat bowl at the Chinese restaurant and that ups 3 random stats of yours. This one is invaluable especially because there's not much else to do on rainy days.

Most of the "you can't choose this option because your stat is too low" prompts are for NG+ I think. If you want to get them on your first playthrough you have to essentially grind the correct stat every day of the week until you get the prompt to have it high enough.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Hm, I need to hop on this Fox S Link then. Getting a dungeon done in one day would help with, well, everything. My party members are jerks and are all worried about people dying so they won't hang out with me. Person rescued faster = more time for S Links. I have to be done by November it seems.

Thanks for the tips everyone. I didn't know I had to start the Kanji S Link. Although, can you actually hang out with people outside of school here? That was one of my greatest compliments for this game compared to 3. Social Links feel so much more natural. Like, other characters wander in and stuff and it isn't just you and the person in a little universe disconnected from everything else.

So if I can do S Links with my buddies during summer, that be helpful.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
On some days, a person stands in the hallways outside your class to complain about a delinquent-looking guy. On those days you can seek out Kanji in the hallway somewhere and initiate his social link. Unfortunately if you don't do that by summer, you have to wait until afterwards. You can actually advance everyone's S-link during summer, just initiating Kanji's has to be done before or after, which is a bit of a pain.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Rainy days are also solid choices for dungeon runs since there are certain rare shadows that only show up then. The materials from those are used for various crafted gear pieces.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I've made it to January in P3P. Is there much point in fighting these bosses through the magic door with Elizabeth's sister?

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

irlZaphod posted:

I've made it to January in P3P. Is there much point in fighting these bosses through the magic door with Elizabeth's sister?

If you want to take a shot at her yourself on top of whatever stuff the fights drop. If you repeat them, you get different prizes, though whether or not you want to is entirely up to you. Other than that, there's nothing crucial tied to it, it's just an extra challenge for you.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

What are the prizes you get for it? Any useful equipment or anything?

e: Also what level should I be at for the endgame/Nyx? My MC is around 67 right now, Personas mostly a bit lower. Other party members are 50s-60s.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

Endorph posted:

the fox's prices go down as you rank her s. link up

The fox is a girl???

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

The fox is a girl???

I guess you missed the part of her social link where you can date her

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

irlZaphod posted:

What are the prizes you get for it? Any useful equipment or anything?

IIRC you get some high-end skill cards.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So I made it to Shadow Teddie and was promptly flattened. Well promptly might be exaggerating because him killing us quickly is not the problem. It's more that I can't kill him in under, I dunno, 30 minutes maybe.

I know a lot of people have told me it's easy to over level in this game but I'm actually under-leveled. Guides I see recommend being at least level 31 and up. I'm only Level 28. So time for some grinding I guess. Maybe this explains my inability to finish any of these dungeons in one night. If I'm only Level 28 after going through Rise's place, I must have been quite a bit behind to begin with.

Whoever said the music was good is spot-on, though.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
What's your strategy and attacks? I think the standard move of Chie buffing the next person was my go-to move in boss fights at this point.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
For Golden at least I feel that the primary reason I was ever overleveled was due to golden hands. Every dungeon's hands have their own gimmick and once you figure it out you can really jump ahead with even just a few wins.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

My problem with Golden right now is sort of similar to how I felt first starting Persona 3 a while back. There's a ton to do now, and that makes me pretty indecisive. I know I have more time to do it, but still.

At least Chie and Yukiko can basically do Antipode Bomb now, that's kind of cool.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

The fox is a girl???
you see her with kid foxes in the ending but no other adult fox around and it'd be weird for a male fox to be a single dad after his wife left him, so im assuming she's female.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Can be ignored entirely. Every normal walkthrough you'll find are written by people who are awful at SMT for people who are somehow even worse. They're all written under the presumption you're going to be treating it like Final Fantasy VII or something, because that's the kind of general mindset most people have for JRPGs.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Tae posted:

What's your strategy and attacks? I think the standard move of Chie buffing the next person was my go-to move in boss fights at this point.

I lower Teddie's Attack, Agility and Defense, I maybe have Yosuke raise Agility becaus he's just kind of useless at present due to not even having Garula. Chie raises Attack on herself and Yukiko. Then a whole lot of defending because Teddie loves to charge up big moves. I throw in some damage when I've lowered all his stats but I like to keep at least his Agility down so he misses with Heat Wave and his othe rbig party-all moves. A big problem is Yukiko has to Guard a lot b ecause he likes to spam Ice attacks.

Basically I'm able to do a little over 100 damage with Yukiko or Chie and that's with Tarukaja + Rekunda. There's no way I should be this weak for this fight.

Nate RFB posted:

For Golden at least I feel that the primary reason I was ever overleveled was due to golden hands. Every dungeon's hands have their own gimmick and once you figure it out you can really jump ahead with even just a few wins.

I try to fight them but they resist or outright block all Elements, physical attacks do poo poo for damage and they are immune to the status effects I try on them. I know you can Break them so I can use Ice or Fire attacks on them (the only Breaks I have right now) but even that is still low level damage. The only trick seems to be praying you get a Crit. Even Rebellion doesn't seem very helpful. I have a Revolution card but I was uncertain of using it or giving it to Marie to buy back infinitely. I don't have the money for that right now anyway.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Feb 10, 2017

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

NikkolasKing posted:

I lower Teddie's Attack, Agility and Defense, I maybe have Yosuke raise Agility becaus he's just kind of useless at present due to not even having Garula. Chie raises Attack on herself and Yukiko. Then a whole lot of defending because Teddie loves to charge up big moves. I throw in some damage when I've lowered all his stats but I like to keep at least his Agility down so he misses with Heat Wave and his othe rbig party-all moves. A big problem is Yukiko has to Guard a lot b ecause he likes to spam Ice attacks.

Basically I'm able to do a little over 100 damage with Yukiko or Chie and that's with Tarukaja + Rekunda. There's no way I should be this weak for this fight.

I try to fight them but they resist or outright block all Elements, physical attacks do poo poo for damage and they are immune to the status effects I try on them. I know you can Break them so I can use Ice or Fire attacks on them (the only Breaks I have right now) but even that is still low level damage. The only trick seems to be praying you get a Crit. Even Rebellion doesn't seem very helpful. I have a Revolution card but I was uncertain of using it or giving it to Marie to buy back infinitely. I don't have the money for that right now anyway.

IIRC, the hand in each dungeon has a different set of weaknesses. Some of them you will have to pray for crits, yes, but usually you just need to find what they're weak to and then go to town.

EDIT: after looking things up, it appears that P4G golden hands work differently from base P4 and P5 :psyduck: P4G golden hands are only weak to Almighty, so pray for a crit or wait until you get Megido attacks.

Tarezax fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Feb 10, 2017

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Golden Hands in P4G basically go all in on one particular strategy, pure physical, pure magical, pure almighty, or even pure Light/Dark instant death spells, etc. There's no real high level strategy other than "hit them loving hard and fast". It only takes one good win to make it all worth the hassle.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

I'm here to shitpost about anime and the SMT series

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

A miracle struck and I beat two Treasure Hands which gave me the EXP and money needed to finish saving Rise. All praise t o Ose and his having Power Charge and two great physical attacks right off the bat. Being able to do 400+ damage a turn all on my own certainly helped. Also beingg Fool so I could level him up right away.

Also I'm guessing I'm at the point when defeating bosses will require SP healing items. I have a few but I hate using them. Then again, the only person who needed the SP heals was me because Iliterally had to do everything. Being the only person who can debuff + having to attack is both time-consuming and costly.

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

Chie is good to bring along for hunting Treasure Hands because she gets a lot of high-crit physical skills. Almighty skills are better, but they're harder to find in the early-to-mid game and are expensive to cast. SOS alerts were useful for restoring SP when I played (back when the game was released) but I don't know if anyone is still around to answer them.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

You should put Kanji in your party because he's good and cool

also if you power through his S.Link you get Power Charge super early and that's pretty broken

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Have you gone back to the tops of previous dungeons? They're good for easy xp, drops, and moreover the bonus bosses have really good weapons for your team. Also, talk to Yosuke and go to the shadow liquor store and look around to get a really nice weapon for him, too.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Bogart posted:

Have you gone back to the tops of previous dungeons? They're good for easy xp, drops, and moreover the bonus bosses have really good weapons for your team. Also, talk to Yosuke and go to the shadow liquor store and look around to get a really nice weapon for him, too.

I did for the castle but the boss there stomped me. This was several levels ago however. I think I can probably beat him now.

I'll try the Batthouse too but for right now I really need to work on my S Links. I only have until November it seems and ther are so many of them. Plus I apparently need max Courage an dKnowledge as well. I was aiming for those anyway and oh yeah I need max Understanding to unlock the Tutor job and I think that gets you Tower.

I know everyone says I got plenty of time but there's so much to do that I just get stressed because Plot might happen any time and there goes all my luxurious time to grind S Links or get money or raise my Attributes.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

You get courage for beating the ex bosses, and i remember yukikos weapon being really good because it came with +50 sp

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tae posted:

You get courage for beating the ex bosses, and i remember yukikos weapon being really good because it came with +50 sp

Yeah, IIRC Yukiko's weapon is literally her best weapon since there is 0 reason for her to ever physically attach while getting a huge amount of extra SP never stops being useful.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

NikkolasKing posted:

I did for the castle but the boss there stomped me. This was several levels ago however. I think I can probably beat him now.
The castle extra boss is by far the hardest, all others can be beaten pretty much immediately.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
You have more time for social links than you think. Only a few have restrictions of November or December. The rest are available until the effective end of the game.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

littleorv posted:

I'm here to shitpost about anime and the SMT series

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJ6DL79sI0E

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ojmTIOoENk

warning: light anime boobs but please don't watch anime at work.

Tired Moritz fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Feb 10, 2017

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Tired Moritz posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ojmTIOoENk

warning: light anime boobs but please don't watch anime at work.

Oh yeah? How about this!?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urZb2Nfjlto

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Endorph posted:

you see her with kid foxes in the ending but no other adult fox around and it'd be weird for a male fox to be a single dad after his wife left him, so im assuming she's female.

Eh, its only weird because Dojima is already in the game.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

dude789 posted:

The castle extra boss is by far the hardest, all others can be beaten pretty much immediately.

Yeah I just stomped the video game dungeon extra boss. Then again, that was the easiest time I've had in a dungeon all game. With the power of Power Charge, Atom Smasher and Chie's Revolution skill, I could annihilate the Golden Hands that were frickin' everywhere. I gained 10 levels and more money than I've had all game.

dude789 posted:

Yeah I've got Yosuke maxed and Chie and Yukiko at 8 and it's the start of September. I also have Knowledge and Expression maxed and hopefully will have Courage maxed soon. Then I can dedicate all my time to S Links and I should be fine.

That being said, I have ignored Kanji until now. I feel kinda bad. I only just started his S Link. I hope there's time to max it. It's just that, as much as Yosuke is my bro, his battle ability seems limited. He's kind of meh at everything and I can't recall last time I used him to do anything meaningful in a boss fight. Of course, if I grind him up to my main team's levels, we'll all become over-leveled to a hideous degree.... Maybe I can just bring him along to the next story dungeon because, I dunno guys, I don't know about Mitsuo being the killer. Just call it a brilliant hunch because apparently identifying the killer is all on me.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Kanji is basically a thunder, more physical version of Chie with a mass heal if you're into that.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I've made the argument before that top-to-bottom, Yosuke is the best overall party member. He performs just about any role nearly as well as the specialties of everyone else: Brave Blade is an outstanding physical attack (really he's just missing Power Charge, which is why it's great when Rise gives you a free one for the party in battle), Garudyne/Magarudyne can wipe out a mob or hit a boss nearly as hard as Yukiko, he has some healing and buffs, and he's far faster than just about everyone except for Naoto. I'm fairly certain that like 80% of my damage output in regular battles in the last few dungeons are due to Yosuke just going before everyone and killing everything with one Magarudyne.

I wouldn't ignore Kanji, of course. Especially not now that he gets Power Charge in P4G. For bosses (and golden hands) that's going to be a huge help.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Feb 11, 2017

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

Also if you haven't you should max Rise...she is good and her support skills are insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Dekaja is situationally very good and kind of hard to find elsewhere sometimes, so Yosuke is nice for that. Also early in the game Magus enemies can be fairly dangerous, but Panic absolutely ruins them, so Tentarafoo can be surprisingly handy.