Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Bill Walton just said that he does all of his shopping at Nordstrom lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

straight up brolic posted:

I always assumed he bought half his shirts in the parking lots of jam band concerts.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

:lol:

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Spacebump posted:

I always assumed he bought half his shirts in the parking lots of jam band concerts.
it's a dig at Trump, he's wearing a graphic tee of dick enberg lol

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

it's a dig at Trump, he's wearing a graphic tee of dick enberg lol

I get it, I was making a bad joke in response to his joke.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
Louisville metro area is apparently 1.27 million. OKC is 1.35m for comparison and that's the smallest in the league currently. They certainly love basketball enough there for it to work and if the NBA was cool with them sharing an area with the college team they'd be all set, but you'd imagine it would be behind Seattle, St Louis, Kansas City and others in the queue.

e: actually looking again the Jazz in Salt Lake City are the smallest metro area currently with 1.17m pop.

tanglewood1420 fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Feb 10, 2017

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I don't think it's a great idea as the league doesn't have the talent to stretch even thinner.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

CharlestheHammer posted:

I don't think it's a great idea as the league doesn't have the talent to stretch even thinner.

This is the most talented the league has ever been.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Spacebump posted:

This is the most talented the league has ever been.

Both statements can be true.

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Perform sex? Uh uh, I don't think I'm up to a performance, but I'll rehearse with you...

This might be the cringiest video online

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

tanglewood1420 posted:

Louisville metro area is apparently 1.27 million. OKC is 1.35m for comparison and that's the smallest in the league currently. They certainly love basketball enough there for it to work and if the NBA was cool with them sharing an area with the college team they'd be all set, but you'd imagine it would be behind Seattle, St Louis, Kansas City and others in the queue.

Louisville also happens to be right next to Cincinatti and would probably compete with Memphis' market in Missouri and southern Indiana. The issue always comes down to the purchasing group that can convince a commissioner and other owners that they'd totally bring more profits to the league and not just suck on a TV contract titty.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

That will never stop being funny to me because of the following quote from posting and toasting.

"If this turns out to be the highlight of the 2014-15 season, I'm officially quitting the Knicks." (It was)
http://www.postingandtoasting.com/2014/9/19/6548537/amare-and-melo-help-james-dolan-break-kazoo-world-record

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
WE READY FOR SATURDAY

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Spacebump posted:

I get it, I was making a bad joke in response to his joke.

An eye for an eye makes the world go blind

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

tanglewood1420 posted:

e: actually looking again the Jazz in Salt Lake City are the smallest metro area currently with 1.17m pop.

I don't see what Louisville would offer to the league. Local TV contract would be crap and they'd generate some of the lowest revenue in the league. I feel like if the league wanted to expand they'd be going for Seattle.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

Doltos posted:

Louisville also happens to be right next to Cincinatti and would probably compete with Memphis' market in Missouri and southern Indiana. The issue always comes down to the purchasing group that can convince a commissioner and other owners that they'd totally bring more profits to the league and not just suck on a TV contract titty.

Niwrad posted:

I don't see what Louisville would offer to the league. Local TV contract would be crap and they'd generate some of the lowest revenue in the league. I feel like if the league wanted to expand they'd be going for Seattle.

NBA fan map based on facebook likes (eh, it's what we have): https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/05/12/upshot/12-upshot-nba-basketball.html from 2014 so probably overrepresents the Heat and underrepresents the Cavs and Golden State compared to now but it's a reasonable starting point for how far each team's appeal spreads.

St Louis and Kansas City are both in the middle of the practically blank Lakers territory. I'd guess if the league wanted to expand it would make sense to add two teams for a round 32 with 16 in each conference, so one team back in Seattle (with the Supersonics name and jerseys) and then the other in either St Louis or Kansas City would make sense. I don't think there's any sense in having a second team in Canada now that Toronto seem to have successfully turned themselves into Canada's team.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

CharlestheHammer posted:

Both statements can be true.

It probably won't be as bad as the 70s expansion run

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Declan MacManus posted:

It probably won't be as bad as the 70s expansion run

Probably and I mean it wouldnt make a big difference if there is one more bad team out there but I doubt they are thinking about that.

houstonguy
Jun 2, 2005

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
After Las Vegas (who may or may not be getting the Raiders soon), I believe Louisville is the largest metropolitan area in the nation without a professional sports team. I don't think it's a terrible idea, Kentucky as a whole is basketball crazy and they could easily grab fans from all over the region.

They really need Papa John or whoever to put together a good ownership group, but I think there's potential for a team there.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

I love basketball, it's so much fun to watch. I don't officially have a team though. Is it cool to like the Cavs? Because they're really fun to watch.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Like who you want.

houstonguy
Jun 2, 2005

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

NienNunb posted:

I love basketball, it's so much fun to watch. I don't officially have a team though. Is it cool to like the Cavs? Because they're really fun to watch.

I've never enjoyed basketball more than when I was watching the Knicks last night. Just wanted to throw that out there.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

NienNunb posted:

if you're smart you'll bandwagon the 76ers, Suns, or Timberwolves because you'll get loyal fan points if they ever actually come good.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Sheriff posted:

I've never enjoyed basketball more than when I was watching the Knicks last night. Just wanted to throw that out there.

Welcome to Knicks fandom, it will undoubtedly disappoint you

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

tanglewood1420 posted:

NBA fan map based on facebook likes (eh, it's what we have): https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/05/12/upshot/12-upshot-nba-basketball.html from 2014 so probably overrepresents the Heat and underrepresents the Cavs and Golden State compared to now but it's a reasonable starting point for how far each team's appeal spreads.

St Louis and Kansas City are both in the middle of the practically blank Lakers territory. I'd guess if the league wanted to expand it would make sense to add two teams for a round 32 with 16 in each conference, so one team back in Seattle (with the Supersonics name and jerseys) and then the other in either St Louis or Kansas City would make sense. I don't think there's any sense in having a second team in Canada now that Toronto seem to have successfully turned themselves into Canada's team.

Looks like Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Cincy, Vegas, arguably Tampa, and even Raleigh are also bigger markets with no strong affiliation.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...

Doltos posted:

actually, according to paul george in the 2016 all-star game, walk the moon is "straight outta pacers nation" so thats that

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
https://twitter.com/JasonLloydNBA/status/829901306500415488

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

I'm from New Jersey so I could go see the Knicks at the garden!

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

Doltos posted:

Welcome to Knicks fandom, it will undoubtedly disappoint you

I dunno, this new chapter of Knicks basketball is going to be really fun to follow.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dirk Nowitzki.
https://twitter.com/dallasmavs/status/829904630943412224

at the start of the play I was getting mad Dirk didn't get the shot

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
for all that didn't see

https://twitter.com/AdamJosephSport/status/829873980509024256

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

NienNunb posted:

I'm from New Jersey so I could go see the Knicks at the garden!

You can take a NJ transit train practically right into MSG. It's awesome.

Drunk Canuck posted:

I dunno, this new chapter of Knicks basketball is going to be really fun to follow.

This new chapter won't result in anything. Oakleys gonna be banned, or let back in with some stupid rule like he can't sit near Dolan anymore, Dolan will continue to be unbelievably wealthy, thus destroying any hope of karma actually existing, and Phil will probably assemble a bunch of aged vets around King Zing before riding off into the Montana sunset

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

He's not flopping. He's demonstrating why he never gets injured. Look at his legs and imagine if he had forced himself to stay on his feet.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Sheriff posted:

After Las Vegas (who may or may not be getting the Raiders soon), I believe Louisville is the largest metropolitan area in the nation without a professional sports team. I don't think it's a terrible idea, Kentucky as a whole is basketball crazy and they could easily grab fans from all over the region.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

I love you and your penis graphs

I'm surprised Pittsburgh doesn't have a basketball team and I'd love to see another black and yellow team out there. The league needs a black and yellow team too.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Bring back the Richmond Squires and Spirits of St. Louis imo

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

i really don't need to watch NBA basketball in pittsburgh

e: St. Louis and Seattle have the best amateur/high school scene out of those cities

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
oh man pburgh would be dope, especially since it's on my list of cities to move to

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.

Doltos posted:

I love you and your penis graphs

I'm surprised Pittsburgh doesn't have a basketball team and I'd love to see another black and yellow team out there. The league needs a black and yellow team too.

I don't care about Pittsburgh but a black and yellow team needs to happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
I'm a St. Louis native transplanted to KC (well, Olathe, which is about 15 minutes south of KC), with no NBA affiliation. And not only did KC build a big shiny arena for the purpose of attracting an NBA team, but St. Louis kinda just lost its NFL team. GIMME

• Locked thread