Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

Sometimes I think he goes a bit quickly on things though. Like the button/key assignment, or "2 a's" Tamara.
To be fair, i finished the game today and over the course of it totally ran into my own "There's 2 A's in Tamara" moments twice, and that's without giving commentary or feeling under "this should be watchworthy" time pressure. It happens, he'll be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

supergreatfriend
Oct 16, 2008

ask me about
COFFEE

P.57 - No Time To Lose

supergreatfriend
Oct 16, 2008

ask me about
COFFEE

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

Sometimes I think he goes a bit quickly on things though. Like the button/key assignment, or "2 a's" Tamara.

Well, there *are* two a's in Tamara. It's just that there's also a third.

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

SGF, the reflector for the laser thing looks plausible (and if that theory is correct I'd assume that wheel-panel beneath it controls its orientation), but I was wondering if maybe that floating panel in the sun temple that you skipped can rotate the laser itself?

I'm not sure what that one's for. I realized after recording the video that I never tried clicking on the panel for the one that I thought could be rotated, I just thought that it wasn't activated yet. So that's something to try next time. I guess eventually I'm going to need to go back in the temple to get that one remaining panel, and also to see what was in that hallway past the elevator.

vortmax posted:

I'm also kind of sad that Siren is nearly over. Are you planning to do Siren 2, SGF?

No plans right now to do Siren 2 or Blood Curse. I haven't played Siren 2, and Blood Curse only a little. I don't know if I'll give them a try in the future, but for right now there are other games I want to play.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

So is the reason why shibito take less hammer hits to kill now that you have a "sword" figurine that boosts your melee damage?

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

supposedly it frees you from anxiety and nihilism
i remember seeing that bit with the muddy bodies in the red water in a trailer from a decade ago, and its the main image i associate with this game. its not surprising that the director came up with the concept for silent hill, both siren and SH are the only games that can deeply unsettle me with their style alone.

E-flat
Jun 22, 2007

3-flat
Is this the first time a shibito demonstrates actual learning? Or at least, like, tactics?

Come to think of it, KeiShiro's been the one to find all the ones who "resisted the call," right? Seems like the only resistance is being physically unable to follow it--like, by being under pounds per square inch of water at the bottom of a lake, or tied up like the mummy and the weirdo corpse who gave him the uryen? Speaking of the hospital, there was that guy who knew Akira and (got too suspicious about the cult?) got locked up there. SGF hinted that the notebook Akira found talking about how Hisako was the devilwoman and the patient in the hospital were the same guy... Wonder if either of those two are him? If so, Akira remains good judge of character.

I can't believe I ever thought the spider shibito were the creepiest. When you incapacitate them they go "WOOWW wwOOOAAHHwwaa" like they can't believe you'd be so rude. And look at their poor widdle faces

don't bash his face(s) in, SGF. That's not nice.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Yeah, I don't think it's that they willfully resisted -- it's that they were completely unable to follow the call. The pain's from being stuck in mud under the bottom of a lake for, uh, decades. Awake.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
I remember an earlier level at the hospital with Mina and crawler Shibito, where everyone got up really quickly after being knocked out. Was that a design decision just for that level because all the recent levels seem way more generous with the Shibito time-outs.

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face

AbstractNapper posted:

I remember an earlier level at the hospital with Mina and crawler Shibito, where everyone got up really quickly after being knocked out. Was that a design decision just for that level because all the recent levels seem way more generous with the Shibito time-outs.

It varies from level to level, and also varies by type of shibito. Spiders get up faster than dogs, for instance.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

flatluigi posted:

Yeah, I don't think it's that they willfully resisted -- it's that they were completely unable to follow the call. The pain's from being stuck in mud under the bottom of a lake for, uh, decades. Awake.

And apparently rotting away the entire time. Can't imagine that felt nice.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

And apparently rotting away the entire time. Can't imagine that felt nice.

Hey, at least your skin's gonna be really smooth after multiple decades of bathing in mud. I hear it also helps against arthritis. :thumbsup:

supergreatfriend
Oct 16, 2008

ask me about
COFFEE

P.58 - Home

SweaterGear
Jan 4, 2010

There's a Monopenguin! :swoon:
Since the update is right there, RIP Tamon at least he's happy now. Also, top notch stealth skills, SGF!

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN

SweaterGear posted:

Since the update is right there, RIP Tamon at least he's happy now. Also, top notch stealth skills, SGF!

What are you talking about? He is TOTALLY fine and not a shibito at all!

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

SweaterGear posted:

His parents look pretty good for being shibitofied for 30 years.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

They say that he who dies with the most Opil wins.

I am winning.

Shoeless posted:

His parents look pretty good for being shibitofied for 30 years.

I figure that the perceptions involved there may not strictly be accurate.

Snoop Radley
Sep 26, 2011

Hail to the baby king. :3:
I like the tape puzzle, it seems goofy initially but I also think it feels like something you'd actually improvise in a situation like this. (Unlike the infamous piggy towel, although now that I think of it i wonder if Kei elaborately preparing the towel for Shiro is intended to be some twin telepathy mojo)

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Soo.. This happens after Kei releases the water and frees the mud people who resisted the call of the God. Maybe Tamons Parents where among those? They aren't shibito at the very least.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
SGF didn't mention anything like that but are we to assume that the voices he hears at the start of the level are his parents calling out to him? Seems like the reception on red-water telepathy is pretty shaky.

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

They aren't shibito at the very least.
Exactly, they're just a regular normal family living their happy joyous everyday lives. Just like the Maedas!

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

But we played people who were in the process of becoming shibito or were shibito, and they see each other normally. Maybe Tamon is a special case?

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Exactly, they're just a regular normal family living their happy joyous everyday lives. Just like the Maedas!

Well they were before someone came and forcefully evicted them from their home. Isn't that right Harumi? :mad:

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
If Harumi is a jerk for evicting them, what does that make Kyoya in the final cutscene?

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

But we played people who were in the process of becoming shibito or were shibito, and they see each other normally. Maybe Tamon is a special case?
If you're referring to Tomoko (were there any others?) i'm pretty sure she likely didn't significantly know/care for the shibitos she ran into and saw herself as human - the twist was only obvious once the camera switched to her parents viewpoint and revealed her as an unreliable narrator.

Or maybe it's simply as (in)consistent as the number of hits it takes to stun a crawler. Who knows with those ancient fish-related curses.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Solid Snake has NOTHING on Tamon's stealth skills.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

Maybe weird Yoriko will stumble upon the Takeuchi home and get to join them! Professa can indulge her not-so-secret love for him and shibito-marry her and they'll spend the rest of eternity "living" in his parents house in undead bliss! Or maybe just until Kyoya kills them.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Have we ever seen what non-shibitos look like to shibitos? Do they show up as monsters too?

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

RoadCrewWorker posted:

If Harumi is a jerk for evicting them, what does that make Kyoya in the final cutscene?

Well, we know rock and roll/metal is The Devil's Music, so...

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

Have we ever seen what non-shibitos look like to shibitos? Do they show up as monsters too?

Well, Tomoko saw her parents as human right when after she turned and Reiko recognized Harumi and didn't say anything about her being a monster. With Reiko, we don't even know what she would've done to Harumi since you get a game over if she gets near. Maybe Reiko was just going to forcefully babysit her, I can't imagine her doing anything VIOLENT to Harumi.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Do we know why Kyoya hasn't turned? I might have missed it.

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

Does sight jacking count? Because the answer is therefore street posts.

Fwoderwick fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Feb 9, 2017

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Not super explicitly, but it's a good bet that when Miyako seemed to be sharing her blood with him while he was sleeping ended up putting a piece of herself in him that seems to have changed him or his blood, which I think is what Shiro was referring to when he fixed up Kyoya and Yoriko. Also probably related to that: the alien god ceremony not working properly and that scene with Hisako before the red water flood.

Arkanumzilong
Sep 10, 2016

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Myako shared her blood with him in an earlier scene; she is imune to transforming, so now he is too; and so is yoriko because shiro gave her a transfusion of his blood

Arkanumzilong fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Feb 9, 2017

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Arkanumzilong posted:

Myako shared her blood with him in an earlier scene; she is imune to transforming, so now he is too; and so is yoriko because doctor insano gave her a transfusion of his blood

Zagglezig posted:

Not super explicitly, but it's a good bet that when Miyako seemed to be sharing her blood with him while he was sleeping ended up putting a piece of herself in him that seems to have changed him or his blood, which I think is what Shiro was referring to when he fixed up Kyoya and Yoriko. Also probably related to that: the alien god ceremony not working properly and that scene with Hisako before the red water flood.

Huh, I thought Yoriko had shibito-fied based on that scene where she and Tamon were about to reunite and were interrupted by the prawn god / raging Aunt Flo intervention. All righty then.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Shoeless posted:

Well, we know rock and roll/metal is The Devil's Music, so...

On the other hand, God Gave Rock n' Roll to You...

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Paracelsus posted:

On the other hand, God Gave Rock n' Roll to You...

As a test, and clearly humanity failed. :colbert: I'm sticking with my "everyone was a terrible person and deserves to be here" theory, including Harumi gosh darnit!

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Arkanumzilong posted:

Myako shared her blood with him in an earlier scene; she is imune to transforming, so now he is too; and so is yoriko because shiro gave her a transfusion of his blood
Oh, i totally forgot about that detail. That's about as good an explanation as we're going to get, i guess.

What was the source for the red water replacing the persons blood in circulation during shibitofication? I can't remember if Shiro mengele-scienced that or if it was some other theory/remark. I guess people haven't quite put enough bullet-wounds into Kyoya to drain his resistance buff.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Maybe he's been shot enough times, he's built up an immunity to bullets. That's a thing that can happen.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Huh, I thought Yoriko had shibito-fied based on that scene where she and Tamon were about to reunite and were interrupted by the prawn god / raging Aunt Flo intervention. All righty then.

I think it's more likely that the strangeness of her voice was from Tamon's perspective, and he was just starting to feel the first effects of turning.

scorpiobean
Dec 22, 2004

I'll have one sugar coma drink, please.
Tamon must have at least been mostly human for most of the level you'd think. If we assume Tomoko's experience is shared amongst all the shibito, Tamon wasn't seeing the "angels" and the other shibito were still seeing him as an enemy, while Tomoko could get right up to them without being attacked. That being said, at the very end, when Tamon found his family, I was very much expecting a sudden change from normal looking family to very clearly shibito people. Or mud people I suppose. Anyway I'm both looking forward to the end, and also will be sad when it ends because I've really been enjoying this LP. May the last few updates be filled with THE BUSTER

Arkanumzilong
Sep 10, 2016

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Oh, i totally forgot about that detail. That's about as good an explanation as we're going to get, i guess.

What was the source for the red water replacing the persons blood in circulation during shibitofication? I can't remember if Shiro mengele-scienced that or if it was some other theory/remark. I guess people haven't quite put enough bullet-wounds into Kyoya to drain his resistance buff.

think shiro mentioned that after his 'vivisection' of the onda twins
BUT its also mentioned in the tutorial stage by evil nun whose name I forget right now "that red water is now coursing trough your veins"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Really, SGF. The Incinerator Room in RE7 is not your strongest moment.

• Locked thread