Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
It's also a huge overpay since the Marlins were only valued at ~$635m IIRC last year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
the real thing to watch for in a trump-adjacent-person-buys-team scenario is any quiet moves to legally weaken the players' and umpires' unions to the advantage of owners.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Jeffrey Loria going to take that billion dollars and put it into a team in Montreal.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Sydin posted:

It's also a huge overpay since the Marlins were only valued at ~$635m IIRC last year.
They will be able to renegotiate their TV deal soon, which is probably why it's more

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

FlamingLiberal posted:

Most owners are horrible people anyway so as long as he actually puts money into the team I'm good

https://twitter.com/mccoveychron/status/829810943613743105

There's an entire thread there.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Hahahahaha, holy poo poo. That's like a z-grade after-midnight Cinemax plot hook.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Yeah but I mean does he approve of the shift?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Ivanka designed Marlins jerseys

:getin:

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Popete posted:

So they'll look exactly like existing jerseys?

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Popete posted:

Don't most teams like to sell their merchandise in stores, though?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Popete posted:

Still won't be uglier than the Diamondbacks unis.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Someone with more talent and wit than me do a version of "You'll be Back" from Hamilton with Loria as George III, please.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Hey Man is reporting that Kushner is not involved

Alst
Aug 9, 2007
s

Chris Christie was the prosecutor.

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

If the Marlins are worth 1.6 BILLION, what the holy hell are the other teams worth?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

will_colorado posted:

If the Marlins are worth 1.6 BILLION, what the holy hell are the other teams worth?

Other teams don't have Ichiro, so $0

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

will_colorado posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dP4DyEIawT8

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

Other teams don't have Ichiro, so $0

Truth

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
$1.4 billion of that is the home run fish sculpture

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

will_colorado posted:

Forbes has all team valuations. The top 10:

Yankees: 3.4b
Dodgers: 2.5b (but a -72.8m operating income :lol:)
Red Sox: 2.3b
Giants: 2.25b
Cubs: 2.2b
Mets: 1.65b
Cardinals: 1.6b (A "small market team" that apparently needs competitive balance picks :v:)
Angels: 1.34b
Nationals: 1.3b
Phillies: 1.235b

The Marlins are valued at 675m, the second lowest among MLB teams and only more than the Rays. Obviously that doesn't factor in everything like TV deals as mentioned earlier, but it still feels like a gross overpay.

e. Also the Marlins still owe Stanton $298.5m through 2028, which is almost 1/3 of what the Marlins as an entire franchise are worth :allears:

Sydin fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Feb 10, 2017

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Sydin posted:

Cardinals: 1.6b (A "small market team" that apparently needs competitive balance picks :v:)

St. Louis proper is as small as it is largely because of white flight. I love my team and all but god drat, St. Louis getting additional draft picks indirectly because of how racist its population has been is pretty hosed.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Well, actually, baseball teams aren't worth a plugged nickel because they all lose money every year. And that's why we need a salary cap.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

Pancakes posted:

St. Louis proper is as small as it is largely because of white flight. I love my team and all but god drat, St. Louis getting additional draft picks indirectly because of how racist its population has been is pretty hosed.

I'm 1000% sure it's based off the metro area and not size of the city the team is in otherwise Texas would be getting every kind of competitive balance advantage.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

The Pussy Boss posted:

Well, actually, baseball teams aren't worth a plugged nickel because they all lose money every year. And that's why we need a salary cap.

According to Forbes, The Dodgers, Phillies, and Rangers were the only teams in 2016 to operate at a loss.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
This seems to be a minority opinion but I'm all for shortening up regular season extra innings games and lowering stress on bullpens by starting a runner on 2nd. It actually reminds me of how a local youth league handles extras:

One final half-inning played, home team gets to decide whether to bat or field. Team in the field is spotted two runs, batting team chooses a spot in the lineup to bat and the three batters behind the hitter load the bases. Batting team must score three runs to win, tie games go to the team in the field.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

CubsWoo posted:

This seems to be a minority opinion but I'm all for shortening up regular season extra innings games and lowering stress on bullpens by starting a runner on 2nd. It actually reminds me of how a local youth league handles extras:

One final half-inning played, home team gets to decide whether to bat or field. Team in the field is spotted two runs, batting team chooses a spot in the lineup to bat and the three batters behind the hitter load the bases. Batting team must score three runs to win, tie games go to the team in the field.

I'd prefer to start it in the 11th, and not at all in the playoffs, but it's not really all that awful an idea. I'd prefer to start with less drastic things, like limiting meetings between pitchers and, well, anyone else, pitch clocks, not letting batters go through 10 second warmup routines between pitches, etc.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Baseball really went wrong when the umpire stopped sitting in a comfortable rocking chair off to the side. We could also solve money problems by not wasting money having more than one ball a game.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

elentar posted:

$1.4 billion of that is the home run fish sculpture

Worth every penny imo

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

The Marlins are just a really weird organization.

Like from the start, everything about them - leadership decisions, incredible successes over the years and equally incredible failing seasons.

I do not understand the Marlins. Every year, I have no idea if they're going to win the WS or live in the dumpster.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Tom Gorman posted:

Like from the start, everything about them - leadership decisions, incredible successes over the years and equally incredible failing seasons.

I do not understand the Marlins. Every year, I have no idea if they're going to win the WS or live in the dumpster.

Marlins traded away Miguel Cabrera for 1.9 WAR out of Cameron Maybin and traded Mike Piazza for Garry Goetz.

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!
N: Otani was in Mesa AZ visiting the Cubs Training Camp, on the 8th.
http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20170210-00000518-sanspo-base

V: :getin:

EDIT: Looks like 60mins is doing a pice on him too.

ScottyJSno fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Feb 10, 2017

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

ScottyJSno posted:

N: Otani was in Mesa AZ visiting the Cubs Training Camp, on the 8th.
http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20170210-00000518-sanspo-base

V: :getin:

That's great and all but if he's serious about jumping to the MLB in 2018 regardless of the new IA cap there's no way the Cubs will be able to sign him, since they'll still be in the penalty box and won't be able to spend more than $300k until after the 2017-18 spending period. The only way the Cubs could feasibly sign him is if a) he waited until after 2018 to be posted or b) MLB folded and made an exception to treat him as a regular free agent, in which case the Cubs could spend whatever they want on him.

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!

Sydin posted:

That's great and all but if he's serious about jumping to the MLB in 2018 regardless of the new IA cap there's no way the Cubs will be able to sign him, since they'll still be in the penalty box and won't be able to spend more than $300k until after the 2017-18 spending period. The only way the Cubs could feasibly sign him is if a) he waited until after 2018 to be posted or b) MLB folded and made an exception to treat him as a regular free agent, in which case the Cubs could spend whatever they want on him.

How likely is Darvish to re-sign with the Rangers?

If the Rangers re-sign Darvish, and they have the money I think Otani will go to Texas. They seem to be good friends, and train together. If everyone can only offer equal money why not go where your friend is? Unless Darvish hates the Rangers and heat and warns him off.

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
How does pay work in the instance of a minor league player making minor league salary getting called up to the big club for a few games? Does he get a prorated salary based on the number of games played and the league minimum? Or does a call up to the big leagues even for a few games get you the league minimum?

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!

LonesomeCrowdedWest posted:

How does pay work in the instance of a minor league player making minor league salary getting called up to the big club for a few games? Does he get a prorated salary based on the number of games played and the league minimum? Or does a call up to the big leagues even for a few games get you the league minimum?

I thought it was once they put em on the 40 man, they get league min and start their service time clock. Then unless you are DFA, 3 years later (give or take a super 2), they have arbitration whether you are on the minor league team or pro team. That sound right?

ScottyJSno fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Feb 10, 2017

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Tom Gorman posted:

And let's not forget that absolute fuckery that led to Loria becoming the Marlins owner. And also lets' not forget that the man who owned the Marlins before him went on to sell the Dolphins in 2008/09 or so because he literally thought that Barack Obama was literally going to use the Oval Office to literally tax him out of all of his money so he figured he'd better sell before OMG NEGRO COMMANISM

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

if you like baseball, gambling, and politics:

https://www.predictit.org/Contract/5432/Will-Trump-throw-out-a-ceremonial-first-pitch-on-Major-League-Baseball

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Crazy Ted posted:

And let's not forget that absolute fuckery that led to Loria becoming the Marlins owner. And also lets' not forget that the man who owned the Marlins before him went on to sell the Dolphins in 2008/09 or so because he literally thought that Barack Obama was literally going to use the Oval Office to literally tax him out of all of his money so he figured he'd better sell before OMG NEGRO COMMANISM

Loria conned his way into Expos ownership after losing his bid to buy the Orioles (according to The Lords of the Realm, Angelos made one last bid and thought his group was going to lose right before Loria backed down) then buddied up to noted collusion fan Bud Selig in order to dump the Expos on MLB with a promise he'd get another shot at a team. He's baseball's Donald Trump. He just won't go the gently caress away as dumb people keep letting him con them out of their money and he's about to get away with robbery again.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I don't give Loria much credit for the 2003 championship since he had just bought the team. The core players were all signed/scouted when John Henry owned the team.

We also haven't made the playoffs in 13 years now which is one of the longer active streaks in MLB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

CubsWoo posted:

You just said the MLB should do something local youth leagues do. And I have to disagree with you very strongly on that.

My opinion: The only people complaining that baseball games are "boring" and "long" are casual fans that don't enjoy watching baseball anyways. If they get the games to fit into 2.5 hours, those same people will STILL think baseball is boring. Casual fans watch baseball when: the local team is doing well and probably some of the playoffs/WS. Getting the game to fit into a shorter time period probably isn't going to change that. The fans they have now watch games because baseball is fun to watch for them.

• Locked thread