Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Sixto Lezcano posted:

And the kinda eerie music is gorgeous.
Does anyone know the title of that track? I'm having a hard time finding it on the OST.

I'm playing this as @TheSJC so hit me with a guild invite. I'm playing a dunmer NB right now and digging it but starting to feel the alt itch.
Do alts get access to champion points at 50 or immediately? I imagine that would help with levelling

CP are static across your whole account, alts get access to them immediately, but they do not gain CP experience until they are 50.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
One way to go about it is to level CP on your lvl50 when you have enlightenment up and level alts to store up enlightenment.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
PSA for anyone that is thinking about buying the Steam version due to this week's sale... If you want to get in on those 3000 crown deals that I post here, don't. Apparently the Steam version isn't compatible with the crown keys.

If you want to use those cheap crown codes, get this Gold Edition (includes Imperial City/Orsinium/Dark Brotherhood/Thieves Guild)
https://www.instant-gaming.com/en/1554-buy-key-the-elder-scrolls-online-gold-edition/
or
https://www.instant-gaming.com/en/293-buy-key-the-elder-scrolls-online-tamriel-unlimited/ (base version)

Alexander DeLarge fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Feb 9, 2017

GO FUCK YOURSELF
Aug 19, 2004

"I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who beat you, and pray for them to beat the shit out of the Buckeyes" - The Book of Witten

Alexander DeLarge posted:

PSA for anyone that is thinking about buying the Steam version due to this week's sale... If you want to get in on those 3000 crown deals that I post here, don't. Apparently the Steam version isn't compatible with the crown keys.

If you want to use those cheap crown codes, get this Gold Edition (includes Imperial City/Orsinium/Dark Brotherhood/Thieves Guild)
https://www.instant-gaming.com/en/1554-buy-key-the-elder-scrolls-online-gold-edition/
or
https://www.instant-gaming.com/en/293-buy-key-the-elder-scrolls-online-tamriel-unlimited/ (base version)

The 3000 crown pack that you linked in Discord earlier worked for me actually, but you have to redeem the code on the website, not in game.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

GO gently caress YOURSELF posted:

The 3000 crown pack that you linked in Discord earlier worked for me actually, but you have to redeem the code on the website, not in game.
Oh poo poo. Well there you have it.

They said the same "it won't work, do not buy" about upgrading my account from the base version to Gold for all the expansion DLC.

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

Robotor just hasn't been the same since 9/11...
Wait, where are cheap crowns?

Also, sorry about dropping from the trial last night. I'm trapped in my house and have had to send a trouble ticket for the first time ever. I tried to port to someone in group but still got the same infinite load screen / lock up.

I don't get it, I've never had trouble running this game except the houses.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Really wish I don't buy from steam :(

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
A word of caution that Stay-Moist mansion does not have a level floor, and I assume the same holds true for the other Argonian and Bosmer houses at least. It is completely impossible for me to place a carpet without having it either clip through the floor or hover a few inches above it. :(

Hi
Oct 10, 2003

:wrong: :coffeepal:
Hey I was considering jumping in and giving this a whirl since its 40% off on steam for the gold edition but had some questions.

Im looking over the OP and even with extensive playtime on most of the TES series these classes seem weird and foreign to me. and for all the custimization of TES games they all seem to be heres 4 themes, each theme has a dps a control and tank or heal spec. Can you make weird class combos like a sneaky battlemage in heavy armor? or will you be respecing at "end game" into a homogenized cookie cutter holy trinity build anyway ? I saw it said "anything" can do 1-50 but youll end up respecing probably at end game, that sounds like every modern MMO, are we talking about not able to join in / do end game without a meta build or are we talking about like a 5% difference only min maxing spergelords care about?

Basically , my concern is that the classes dont make a lot of sense to me... Like if I wanted to be more like a traditional paladin would I take the templar healing tree and then pickup a 2h weapon so I could actually damage things? or like a deathknight pickup that siphoning spec and then suppliment it with a big sword?

I guess my concern is how viable are hybrid builds beyond "the leveling experience is easy enough that you can do it with any setup"

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Sogol posted:

One way to go about it is to level CP on your lvl50 when you have enlightenment up and level alts to store up enlightenment.

What the gently caress is enlightenment.

VVV I support purchasing Game keys from sketchy sites for a low price, however, I recommend using paypal for those transactions and not your CC.

BadLlama fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Feb 9, 2017

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Yo for people looking for best price on this game it's 100% not on steam, check dlcompare.com - got my key from a site called HK gaming or something like that for $30ish CAD and so far there's no sketchy russian charges on my CC.

Also I have this game now and it's downloading at home. Someone tell me how to make a glass cannon magicy dude so I don't gently caress up right off the hop.

Commandante
Oct 1, 2009

Made the mistake of purchasing on steam.

Couldn't get the game to load, so I tried to verify the integrity of the game files. Which steam then proceeded to delete all 50+ gigs and redownload them.

Trying to get the launcher from the main site, but it is down for maintenance. Kinda irritated I wasted half my day trying to just chill and play games.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost

Hi posted:

Hey I was considering jumping in and giving this a whirl since its 40% off on steam for the gold edition but had some questions.

Im looking over the OP and even with extensive playtime on most of the TES series these classes seem weird and foreign to me. and for all the custimization of TES games they all seem to be heres 4 themes, each theme has a dps a control and tank or heal spec. Can you make weird class combos like a sneaky battlemage in heavy armor? or will you be respecing at "end game" into a homogenized cookie cutter holy trinity build anyway ? I saw it said "anything" can do 1-50 but youll end up respecing probably at end game, that sounds like every modern MMO, are we talking about not able to join in / do end game without a meta build or are we talking about like a 5% difference only min maxing spergelords care about?

Basically , my concern is that the classes dont make a lot of sense to me... Like if I wanted to be more like a traditional paladin would I take the templar healing tree and then pickup a 2h weapon so I could actually damage things? or like a deathknight pickup that siphoning spec and then suppliment it with a big sword?

I guess my concern is how viable are hybrid builds beyond "the leveling experience is easy enough that you can do it with any setup"

Well it is an MMO with classes, skills and builds, which means that some guy on Youtube is going to figure out the 'optimal' way to do everything and then most people will mock you for not following suit. I have been roundly berated for having the temerity to be a magicka-based Templar as an Orc (which is a better race for stamina-based builds). But gently caress you, I will happily trade 5% off my Optimal Numbers for the ability to be fat Orc Danny Trejo.

As far as being a weird hybrid goes, there are more than enough skill points in the game for you to get all of your class talents, and you get two weapon types to swap between bars. And that's before Guilds and whatnot come in. I consider my Templar to primarily be a healer, but I can deal significant damage at range and in melee, and solo some group content, without having to respec or even swap out more than one or two skills depending on if I want to do a dungeon or whatever.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Rollersnake posted:

A word of caution that Stay-Moist mansion does not have a level floor, and I assume the same holds true for the other Argonian and Bosmer houses at least. It is completely impossible for me to place a carpet without having it either clip through the floor or hover a few inches above it. :(
A possible workaround until Zenimax improves this is to disable"Surface Drag Mode" so that you can set the height with your mousewheel and look controls. It takes a bit of practice, but it should allow you to have the carpet be as close as possible to the floor so that it looks decent.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

ChickenWing posted:

Yo for people looking for best price on this game it's 100% not on steam, check dlcompare.com - got my key from a site called HK gaming or something like that for $30ish CAD and so far there's no sketchy russian charges on my CC.

Also I have this game now and it's downloading at home. Someone tell me how to make a glass cannon magicy dude so I don't gently caress up right off the hop.

magicka templar, magicka dk or magicka sorcerer are what you want. I think magdk is going to be the new FoTM, I'm fairly certain magplar is still really strong, and I don't know much about magsorc, but sorcerer's are good. Nightblades are in a fairly poo poo spot and I don't think the patch changed anything.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

*frantically tries to stop people from encouraging MagDK rolls/rerolls so we don't get nerfed again*

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Hi posted:

I have an Orc ( whose amazing class skill is RUNS FASTER ) Sorc that I switch between Stam/Mag on whim.

This is a TES rear end TES game, it's literally just sperglords going OH MY GOD IF YOU DON'T HAVE THE EXTRA 5% DAMAGE YOU AREN'T COMP!!

Basically how it works is 90% of the skills are traditional TES skills and you can unlock them with any class. Duel Wield, 2Hander, Heavy or Light Armor, etc. That's all freeform. Every class gets these 90% same abilities and can choose how they want to build off of them.

What you are choosing with your class is what Magic you want to use/what special skills you want per class. So DK is Destruction Magic/Stone Magic + the same 90% of skills every other class has. They are slightly better at tanking/survival because of this, but you can still tank/survive with any other class. Templar is Restoration/MAGIC SPEARS which translates to you have a few more healing options then other classes, but they can also heal with Resto Staff anyways. Nightblade gets the out of stealth crit attack/siphoning. Sorc gets a lot of mobility options/summons.

So if you wanted to make a "Paladin", you basically decide what that means for you. You could totally go Templar and have even more healing options through the Templar line, plus pick up a 2Hander and go hog. Or you could be a Nightblade Deathknight style thing and wear heavy armor, use a 2Hander, and then be the group healer/self healer by siphoning everyone around you like some rear end in a top hat vampire. Or you can be some sort of Battlemage and go Sorc, wear heavy armor/2Handers and teleport around/pop magic armor. Class just defines class skills/magic types which is maybe 1/5th of what'll be used by you on a regular basis.

And goons generally don't give a gently caress what you do, as long as you show up.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Overemotional Robot posted:

Wait, where are cheap crowns?

https://www.hrkgame.com/games/product/the-elder-scrolls-online-3000-crown-pack/

It's not quite the ESO+ 60 day/3000 crown deal for $16 but it's okay.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Why did zenimax think it was a good idea to copy FF14 on housing and make everything super expensive

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
did they just copy the price or something cause the rest of it I've seen before

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

Commandante posted:

Made the mistake of purchasing on steam.

Couldn't get the game to load, so I tried to verify the integrity of the game files. Which steam then proceeded to delete all 50+ gigs and redownload them.

Trying to get the launcher from the main site, but it is down for maintenance. Kinda irritated I wasted half my day trying to just chill and play games.

So this is a know thing: never verify integrity on the Steam version or else it wipes and you have to re-download. There's a patcher in the launcher itself. Yes it's dumb.

Also, if the problem you were having was that the game would install, ask for firewall permission, and then never go any further that's due to a bug with the current Nvidia drivers that fucks up some Java thing. There's a hotfix on Nvidia's site that will take care of it and let you load the game normally.

Source: I had to DL the game twice over the weekend because of this poo poo.

Hi
Oct 10, 2003

:wrong: :coffeepal:
Ok so steam upped its discount to half off and I bought the gold edition, I did some research and am thinking of going with a nord or dunmer (if they dont look too terrible, seems like a crap shoot with TES games) ... magicka templar

any newbie tips or guides that arent listed in the OP I can read while this monster downloads?

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Hi posted:

Ok so steam upped its discount to half off and I bought the gold edition, I did some research and am thinking of going with a nord or dunmer (if they dont look too terrible, seems like a crap shoot with TES games) ... magicka templar

any newbie tips or guides that arent listed in the OP I can read while this monster downloads?

Dunmer for magplar.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
I also just got it on steam due to sale, does the load screen just take forever for anyone else too? After 5 mins I've been alt f4'ing, had to do it a few times already and I'm just on the first quest. My pc is like five years old tho.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

got any sevens posted:

I also just got it on steam due to sale, does the load screen just take forever for anyone else too? After 5 mins I've been alt f4'ing, had to do it a few times already and I'm just on the first quest. My pc is like five years old tho.

The first load after a patch will take longer than usual, I'm not entirely sure what it's doing, if it's pulling down and cacheing resources (net connection dependant) or if it's unpacking stuff on the machine (hard drive/processor dependant) or both.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

It was mentioned in guild chat, but...
Woeler (#1 World Tank) found a possible new weapon line in the game's datafiles

One Hand and Rune, aka true spell-swording

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
Questions:

1) Is there a point where it becomes better to buy bank/bag space with crowns instead of gold? I could swear a saw a chart recently breaking it down and making the case that after a certain point it's better to buy with crowns instead of gold but I can't find it again.

2) I bought the Tamriel Unlimited edition through Steam. If I buy the Gold edition on Steam now while it's on sale will it just upgrade my edition so I have the DLC, or will I have two copies of the game, or what happens?

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Luchadork posted:

Questions:

1) Is there a point where it becomes better to buy bank/bag space with crowns instead of gold? I could swear a saw a chart recently breaking it down and making the case that after a certain point it's better to buy with crowns instead of gold but I can't find it again.

In my opinion, no, it really isn't worth buying bag/bank upgrades with crowns, unless perhaps you've been subscribed for at least a few months and have more crowns than you know what to do with (you get 1500 per month). Money gets increasingly easy to come by as you progress if only because equipment you find is worth more, and it's not too hard to keep pace with your needs as long as you don't hoard materials for more than 3-4 crafts. And if you're a subscriber, bag/bank space isn't an issue at all.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Feb 10, 2017

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Luchadork posted:

2) I bought the Tamriel Unlimited edition through Steam. If I buy the Gold edition on Steam now while it's on sale will it just upgrade my edition so I have the DLC, or will I have two copies of the game, or what happens?
Also curious about this, except I'd be buying the gold edition through Steam and linking it to my existing non-Steam account.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Rollersnake posted:

In my opinion, no, it really isn't worth buying bag/bank upgrades with crowns, unless perhaps you've been subscribed for at least a few months and have more crowns than you know what to do with (you get 1500 per month). Money gets increasingly easy to come by as you progress if only because equipment you find is worth more, and it's not too hard to keep pace with your needs as long as you don't hoard materials for more than 3-4 crafts. And if you're a subscriber, bag/bank space isn't an issue at all.

lol try paying the cumulative three-quarters of a million gold for a full bank.

Luchadork posted:

Questions:

1. I would recommend only getting 170 bag space on any character you have, that's 60 mount carry capacity and about ~48k gold in upgrades. As far as bank space goes, I would definitely recommend using crowns on the last few bank upgrades since the total cost of upgrading your bank is around 750k gold. I did that and I do not regret it at all.

2. No clue

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

I did crowns for the last 3 or 4 bank upgrades and don't regret it at all as well. If I remember correctly the crown price does not increase for each upgrade unlike the gold cost.

Also, found this add-on that just came out today that unlocks the camera perspective during dialogues. This means you can now zoom-out/in/rotate while talking to someone, like in Skyrim. NPCs will even turn to face you and emote like they would with the fixed perspective. I'm loving it cause I never liked the Oblivion-esque forced zoom in for conversations. Surprisingly the only bug I've noticed so far is some vendors will repeat their line when you select the store option.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger

BadLlama posted:

What the gently caress is enlightenment.

I think this is still accurate.
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/158785/enlightenment-how-it-works

In terms of classes and end game and such...

I am a bad. I have never made a real fad build, but I have made a lot of creatively bad builds that were fun and work well enough. The other goons are good enough that they typically drag my sorry rear end through dungeons/trials when I do that. PvP is a whole different set of choices. You can make things and run things that work in both, but people seem to often have separate builds or characters for pvp and PvE. For instance sustained dps is more important in PvE whereas burst dps and reactions to that are the PvP norm in CP campaigns, i think.

I have not reached the heights (or depths) of having all classes mag & stam, but I am close. One result of this is that none of them are quite equipped in some stable build. A couple are still leveling to 50. 5 are at 50?

That said... as an example, I have an Argonian magplar. I have 500 something CP, which makes a big difference in PvE or CP campaigns. The maglpar is wearing umm... alchemist, seducer and maybe willpower or something? So both sets easily crafted and mostly purple gear. He is currently just buffs and sweeps, but I have run him with all channels, beamplar, dark flare, etc. He can solo most world bosses, dolmens and last week I started messing around soloing normal group instances. I can consistently get to the last boss in Blackheart Haven for instance, though of course the skellie mechanic he has makes it impossible to solo him. In a group he does ok dps and ok healing. He can even kind of off tank, though current build is destro/DW. Magplars. It's all only ok-ish though because he isn't min/maxed for a group (which I need to do with at least one character). I have made some group focused builds (like a negate monkey stamsorc for pvp), but not really run them much.

I have also found I can solo most world bosses and such with my Imperial Stamplar or Khajit stamsorc (more fun than the magplar really). The stamplar is wearing reactive and fury from when I was playing more and PvPing. Pretty useless sets in PvE. I don't even remember what the sad cat stam sorc wears. Senche at the moment I think? I think I am trying to get way of Air to make a roll dodge buff thingy to use with crit rush and such. I am just getting a MagDK geared a bit and actually switched him to dunmer from lizard (which I sort of regret). I haven't decided exactly what he will wear, but probably not BSW which is best in slot most likely. gently caress best in slot. I tried him as a Mist based Vamp DK. He did decent damage, but I could not get the sustain balance down for that sort of build to really work.

My rambling point is that even at end game a lot of stuff can work in PvE or as utility builds and such in a PvP group and be lots of fun. A lot of weird builds can work. I think CP makes a bigger difference as long as the build is workable. Hell... I ran my Argonian MagDK using almost exclusively Soul Magic and Vamp skills just to see and could run solo in IC sewers including against other players who weren't completely min/max gankers... and that was with far fewer CP.

(Of course the real communication here is that I am tragically anti-social apparently and don't wish to foist my random and of an evening often somewhat baked "playstyle" on unsuspecting souls. Solo this, solo that... but vMA, meant to be a solo dungeon sucks donkey dicks.)

Sogol fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Feb 10, 2017

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Hi posted:

A templar with a destruction staff is a good approximation of a paladin because using Aedric Spear blends pretty flawlessly with a staff, it feels like a 2hander without having to mix stamina / magicka.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Scyantific posted:

lol try paying the cumulative three-quarters of a million gold for a full bank.

Yeah, I probably should have specified I don't have the last few bank upgrades yet, and haven't needed them because I started subscribing.

Also I caved and just paid crowns for a house. The gold I was saving up toward the house has mostly gone to bag and bank upgrades. I'm still paying real money to deal with the inventory limits, if not directly for that purpose. I was managing pretty well before I started subscribing, though I've started doing a lot more crafting since.

sluggo is mad
Jan 14, 2012

Buglord

Ixjuvin posted:

Well it is an MMO with classes, skills and builds, which means that some guy on Youtube is going to figure out the 'optimal' way to do everything and then most people will mock you for not following suit. I have been roundly berated for having the temerity to be a magicka-based Templar as an Orc (which is a better race for stamina-based builds). But gently caress you, I will happily trade 5% off my Optimal Numbers for the ability to be fat Orc Danny Trejo.

As far as being a weird hybrid goes, there are more than enough skill points in the game for you to get all of your class talents, and you get two weapon types to swap between bars. And that's before Guilds and whatnot come in. I consider my Templar to primarily be a healer, but I can deal significant damage at range and in melee, and solo some group content, without having to respec or even swap out more than one or two skills depending on if I want to do a dungeon or whatever.

From this day forth I will never run another pledge without a big fat orc templar healer, cuz thats sounds p awesome.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
As someone smarter than me said, race matters in this game, but, at the highest tier of play, best race to worst race is a 10% difference, which sounds like a lot, but this is at that 1% of skill and gear threshold.

Which means that remaining 90% is knowing your class, getting the muscle memory down, understanding what powers are good and why, and looking hella hella fly. :cool:

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

i (@chickenwing) rolled an argonian templar because not being fotm gives me hives

Any suggestions for starting out? Guides to follow, newbie traps to avoid, that sort of thing

Commandante
Oct 1, 2009

Luchadork posted:

So this is a know thing: never verify integrity on the Steam version or else it wipes and you have to re-download. There's a patcher in the launcher itself. Yes it's dumb.

Also, if the problem you were having was that the game would install, ask for firewall permission, and then never go any further that's due to a bug with the current Nvidia drivers that fucks up some Java thing. There's a hotfix on Nvidia's site that will take care of it and let you load the game normally.

Source: I had to DL the game twice over the weekend because of this poo poo.

Yeah I just got it up and running after discovering about the hotfix

Commandante fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Feb 10, 2017

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!

ChickenWing posted:

i (@chickenwing) rolled an argonian templar because not being fotm gives me hives

Any suggestions for starting out? Guides to follow, newbie traps to avoid, that sort of thing

Welcome brother.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3793102&pagenumber=6&perpage=40#post465465565

Standard rules apply, wear all +magic equipment, put every level up into Mana, etc.

Aramek fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Feb 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Aramek posted:

Welcome brother.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3793102&pagenumber=6&perpage=40#post465465565

Standard rules apply, wear all +magic equipment, put every level up into Mana, etc.

annnnd bookmarked