Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Pixelante posted:

I also need to figure out something else to fiddle with. I tend to spin pens when I'm thinking, and fountain pens are never, ever, going to be okay for that.

Worry beads are the best thing for fidgeting. They're cheap and you get to design your own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Rather than spinning my fountain pens, I work them through my fingers like you can do with a quarter. Try learning that one instead.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Pixelante posted:

That's a thing that works? :psyduck:

Yes. Nalgene bottles, Coke bottles, literally anything that you can seal your pen in so that the pressure doesn't equalise will prevent a leak.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Kessel posted:

Yes. Nalgene bottles, Coke bottles, literally anything that you can seal your pen in so that the pressure doesn't equalise will prevent a leak.

I just bought this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LWBHA1P/

Should work

rio
Mar 20, 2008

"Bath salt containers" - will that be an issue at an airport?

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Only if they contain "bath salts"

Thelonious Monk
Apr 2, 2008

Life and music: all about style.
Where do you all sell pens? I have a few pens I would like to get rid of, but I'm not really keen to push them on ebay.

unkle77
Sep 9, 2009

Please prepare me one of these... Chocolate Egg Creams.

Sagebrush posted:

Rather than spinning my fountain pens, I work them through my fingers like you can do with a quarter. Try learning that one instead.

I just endlessly unscrew the piston on my Vac 700 and Mini. It was a bad habit because I accidentally picked up my 580 and did the same thing but luckily the cap was on and it sucked everything back up perfectly.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Thelonious Monk posted:

Where do you all sell pens? I have a few pens I would like to get rid of, but I'm not really keen to push them on ebay.

You could post them here if you wanted. As long as it abides by general SA selling rules I don't think anybody would mind.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Okay, so I just got my Pilot Metropolitan. Writes smooth, obviously need to work on my technique a bit, and now my wife wants one. And now I'm eyeing different inks and a Lamy Al Star... :help:

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

For some people, and this includes myself, it's less of a slippery slope and more of a shear drop.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I'm just treating this like I treat any daily use item. I can spend oodles on my PC because I use it pretty constantly. At least 10-12 hours a day. Same with my computer chair and same with my mattress and underwears and stuff. I have put less into writing, but still a good amount, because I plan to use it daily, though not for hours at a time. Once I find the right setup, all that's left to buy is paper and ink, right?

By the way- this thing rules

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I like sticking to cheap pens and spending all my money on ink :retrogames:

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Here's a photo of the new Petrol Safari:

https://instagram.com/p/BQNWjA6D0Oe/

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Heath posted:

Here's a photo of the new Petrol Safari:

https://instagram.com/p/BQNWjA6D0Oe/

Okay, but I looked up the Dark Lilac one they mentioned from last year and it's even better than the normal wine-colored "purple."

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
They couldn't find a better name for it than petrol blue?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Cindy Shitbird posted:

Okay, but I looked up the Dark Lilac one they mentioned from last year and it's even better than the normal wine-colored "purple."

Dark Lilac was super popular and I hope they make it part of the regular lineup. I missed out on a bottle of the ink.

I am a little disappointed that their special edition colors tend toward blue. I'm holding out for a spring green Al-Star.

Heath fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Feb 7, 2017

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I think I'm going to keep up with the Bullet Journal stuff, and I'd like to have a nice leather notebook like the Midori, but in an A5 form factor like the Leuchtturm that has become the de facto Bullet Journal notebook.

Any recommendations on A5-sized leather notebook covers?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

404notfound posted:

I think I'm going to keep up with the Bullet Journal stuff, and I'd like to have a nice leather notebook like the Midori, but in an A5 form factor like the Leuchtturm that has become the de facto Bullet Journal notebook.

Do you mean covers for leather notebooks or notebook covers made of leather?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

404notfound posted:

Get to Nanami Paper and prepare to spend more money than you're comfortable with

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

signalnoise posted:

Do you mean covers for leather notebooks or notebook covers made of leather?

I meant a cover made of leather, meant to go over notebook refills. The Midori is basically what I'm after, although it's a little too narrow for how I'd use it.

I did find out, however, that there's a whole category of notebook covers call "traveler's notebooks" that are all more or less the same thing. So now it's just a matter of finding the right one.

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Get to Nanami Paper and prepare to spend more money than you're comfortable with

Oh... oh dear :retrogames:

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
I have this one from Allegory and I really, really like it. I keep my Nanami Crossfield in it for my creative writing notebook.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
My dark lilac safari got stolen. :smith:

e: i have most of a box of dark lilac cartridges too i don't even know what to do with them, that was my only lamy and I don't like safaris enough to buy one in a colour i don't love. like dark lilac. :smith:

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

404notfound posted:

I meant a cover made of leather, meant to go over notebook refills. The Midori is basically what I'm after, although it's a little too narrow for how I'd use it.

There's an infinity of etsy shops that sell travelers style notebook covers in all sorts of sizes. I have an A5 from ShopJot on the recommendation of Matt Armstrong, but that really only works with lots of thin notebooks and not fat honkers like a nanami (but if you get creative with the elastic s you can cram like six little notebooks into the thing). I also have a nice A5-sized cover from Manufactus that I picked up through Massdrop that works really well with thicker notebooks like Nanami

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

neongrey posted:

My dark lilac safari got stolen. :smith:

e: i have most of a box of dark lilac cartridges too i don't even know what to do with them, that was my only lamy and I don't like safaris enough to buy one in a colour i don't love. like dark lilac. :smith:

If they fit the same, a Lamy CP or Logo is an entirely different look, and I'm super happy with mine. (Though the medium tip is really quite broad, on par with TWSBI B nibs.)

If you get a syringe I bet you can reclaim the ink from those cartridges and fill whatever converters you have for other pens, too. lovely to have something stolen though.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

I've been hesitant to reveal this here until I'm more ready to launch, but since we're currently discussing good high-end notebooks and their covers, well.

For the past year or so I've been working on a project here in Asia - basically to see if we could combine responsible manufacturing, social responsibility and my love for ridiculously pretty stationery.

This is the result:

These are handmade diaries. And when I say handmade I mean from scratch. Each diary:
- is cased entirely in premium Japanese fabric from Niigata or Gifu, most of it from small-batch family makers;
- has 100 leaves (200 pages) of Tomoe River paper, which needs little introduction here;
- is handsewn with needle and thread so that it lies flat while open;
- and is handcased (no machines - literally bookbinding glue and hours of work, the old-fashioned way) by a professional craftsman or craftswoman.

The clincher is that every single one of these artisans is an individual living with a serious physical disability. And when I say serious I mean no chance, ever, of getting traditional employment serious. I'm proud to say that through this initiative they are being paid approximately fifteen to twenty times what they were making previously, letting them move from itinerant and poor-paying work to a sustainable income and the ability to plan financially for the future. This isn't a charity dealio - every book we make provides direct employment for these disadvantaged individuals.

And they do astonishing work. I swear that these will be the nicest diaries you've ever set your hand to. Because I personally cannot stand a poorly-made diary, we're working at a quality level beyond even what luxury brands like Smythson, with their hundreds-of-dollars price points, can provide. Nobody wants to work with Tomoe River paper, and the fabrics that we're using, because most machines cannot handle it. Even Nanami has to put a disclaimer on their product pages talking about problems with waviness in the binding. But we're making these diaries entirely by hand, so we can exert a ridiculous amount of control over the process. Here's a closeup shot of the grain on the fabric of one of our most popular patterns, the seigaiha, or wave, so you can see what we're talking about :

So far I've focused entirely on private orders - banks, hotels and other large corporations who use these diaries as meaningful gifts for their best clients and partners. We're doing pretty okay and clients like our stuff a lot. But obviously selling to businesses and businesses alone doesn't really further my aim of wanting more social impact and to perhaps change, even if just a little, the social stigma surrounding serious physical disability. So I've decided to move to the next step - opening our order books to individual customers. But I need feedback from individuals before we go live so that I can continue to refine the product and the process.

So here's the deal.
- You choose a colour and pattern that you like.
- You order a diary from me. You can pay in USD/EUR if you like and I will absorb the exchange rate loss. I will also absorb shipping to you to any reasonable location in the world that isn't a goddamn wasteland.
- You will receive the diary without its full presentation box and gift packaging, for the simple reason that the boxes aren't ready yet. So far we've only had to sell to clients who want custom packaging featuring their brand and logo, so we're still working on our own.
- Positive feedback, negative feedback, you think our diaries are a flaming dumpster fire - it doesn't matter, you can openly post it here. I want to read it.

Not gonna lie, these are expensive - I charge our corporate clients close to a hundred dollars per diary. They're keepsake-level items, you'll realistically only need to replace your previous diary about once a year or every 18 months, and there's no real way for me to make these cheaper without compromising on quality or the amount paid to each artisan. I will take it down to 60 USD, shipped, per diary for you guys in this thread, just to get it into your hands and obtain some feedback. Here's a wider shot so you have an idea of what patterns and colours we've got:

If you're intrigued and want to write in the nicest goddamn diary you've ever written in, let me know and we'll talk patterns and colours. I have stuff that isn't visible in the photos so just ask if you don't see something in particular that catches your eye. I have fabrics in the following patterns, some of which you can see here: https://www.kirikomade.com/blogs/our-fabrics/15314575-japanese-patterns
- tonbo (dragonfly)
- seigaiha (waves)
- asanoha (a geometric star pattern representing hemp leaves)
- shitloads of stuff involving cats, owls and cats and owls
- and more. Just ask.

I can be reached via PM. If you don't have that please write me at daryl *at* musu *dot* bi and I will get you sorted out.

EDIT - our presale website and order form are now live at http://musu.bi

Kessel fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Feb 11, 2017

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

These are gorgeous and amazing, PM'd.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

Kessel posted:

I've been hesitant to reveal this here until I'm more ready to launch, but since we're currently discussing good high-end notebooks and their covers, well.

For the past year or so I've been working on a project here in Asia - basically to see if we could combine responsible manufacturing, social responsibility and my love for ridiculously pretty stationery.

Seriously cool stuff. Can you tell me more about the disability stuff? How you found those people, where they're from, and what kind of training they get? I'm a disability advocate in British Columbia, and social enterprise is a hot topic around here these days. I'd be happy to pass on your site to the executive directors in my network, but it would be nice to have more context. If nothing else, we like to learn what worked/didn't work for entrepreneurs doing awesome work like this. You can PM or email me at pixelant3@gmail.com.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I have arrived at my destination

Thanks for the suggestions

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011

Kessel posted:

If you're intrigued and want to write in the nicest goddamn diary you've ever written in, let me know and we'll talk patterns and colours. I have stuff that isn't visible in the photos so just ask if you don't see something in particular that catches your eye. I have fabrics in the following patterns, some of which you can see here: https://www.kirikomade.com/blogs/our-fabrics/15314575-japanese-patterns
- tonbo (dragonfly)
- seigaiha (waves)
- and more. Just ask.

Got a way of getting hold of you that isn't via PM? I'm definitely down to order two or three, one for myself and the others to give as meaningful presents.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Kessel posted:

This is the result:

These are handmade diaries. And when I say handmade I mean from scratch. Each diary:
- is cased entirely in premium Japanese fabric from Niigata or Gifu, most of it from small-batch family makers;
- has 100 leaves (200 pages) of Tomoe River paper, which needs little introduction here;
- is handsewn with needle and thread so that it lies flat while open;
- and is handcased (no machines - literally bookbinding glue and hours of work, the old-fashioned way) by a professional craftsman or craftswoman.

The clincher is that every single one of these artisans is an individual living with a serious physical disability. And when I say serious I mean no chance, ever, of getting traditional employment serious. I'm proud to say that through this initiative they are being paid approximately fifteen to twenty times what they were making previously, letting them move from itinerant and poor-paying work to a sustainable income and the ability to plan financially for the future. This isn't a charity dealio - every book we make provides direct employment for these disadvantaged individuals.

And they do astonishing work. I swear that these will be the nicest diaries you've ever set your hand to. Because I personally cannot stand a poorly-made diary, we're working at a quality level beyond even what luxury brands like Smythson, with their hundreds-of-dollars price points, can provide. Nobody wants to work with Tomoe River paper, and the fabrics that we're using, because most machines cannot handle it. Even Nanami has to put a disclaimer on their product pages talking about problems with waviness in the binding. But we're making these diaries entirely by hand, so we can exert a ridiculous amount of control over the process. Here's a closeup shot of the grain on the fabric of one of our most popular patterns, the seigaiha, or wave, so you can see what we're talking about :

So far I've focused entirely on private orders - banks, hotels and other large corporations who use these diaries as meaningful gifts for their best clients and partners. We're doing pretty okay and clients like our stuff a lot. But obviously selling to businesses and businesses alone doesn't really further my aim of wanting more social impact and to perhaps change, even if just a little, the social stigma surrounding serious physical disability. So I've decided to move to the next step - opening our order books to individual customers. But I need feedback from individuals before we go live so that I can continue to refine the product and the process.

So here's the deal.
- You choose a colour and pattern that you like.
- You order a diary from me. You can pay in USD/EUR if you like and I will absorb the exchange rate loss. I will also absorb shipping to you to any reasonable location in the world that isn't a goddamn wasteland.
- You will receive the diary without its full presentation box and gift packaging, for the simple reason that the boxes aren't ready yet. So far we've only had to sell to clients who want custom packaging featuring their brand and logo, so we're still working on our own.
- Positive feedback, negative feedback, you think our diaries are a flaming dumpster fire - it doesn't matter, you can openly post it here. I want to read it.

Not gonna lie, these are expensive - I charge our corporate clients close to a hundred dollars per diary. They're keepsake-level items, you'll realistically only need to replace your previous diary about once a year or every 18 months, and there's no real way for me to make these cheaper without compromising on quality or the amount paid to each artisan. I will take it down to 60 USD, shipped, per diary for you guys in this thread, just to get it into your hands and obtain some feedback. Here's a wider shot so you have an idea of what patterns and colours we've got:

- tonbo (dragonfly)
- seigaiha (waves)
- and more. Just ask.

Wow, those are absolutely gorgeous. I wish they were within my price range, but I'd almost be afraid to use them. More than that, I am moving at the end of the month and it'd be a bad idea to spend money frivolously.

I'm definitely going to purchase at least one at some point - and probably more for gifts. What brand name are you/will you be selling under, if that's concrete?

unkle77
Sep 9, 2009

Please prepare me one of these... Chocolate Egg Creams.
Holy poo poo, those journals at gorgeous. I'm gonna PM you a bit closer to payday (next week). Thank you so much for posting this. My wife would love one of these.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I really want to get one for Dr. FAUXTON to use as her lab journal but she's looking at moving into the private sector and I'm not sure how much use they have for academic-style lab journals in private sector biotech/microbiology/pharmacology and experimental neuroscience.

E: I on the other hand am a bank investigator and like to jot things down sometimes to better visualise stuff like layering or business structures.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Feb 9, 2017

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Oh my god, thank you all for the overwhelmingly positive response. I was seriously worried that these would find no interest in the consumer space and that our social impact mission would die flat, but I can see now that I needn't have worried.

Megabound posted:

These are gorgeous and amazing, PM'd.
I see your PM (along with a number of other goons') and will reply to all of you tomorrow or the day after. All our fabric is with our artisans right now so I'm working on getting a comprehensive list of patterns and colours to all of you, so that you can choose exactly what you'd like.

Pixelante posted:

Seriously cool stuff. Can you tell me more about the disability stuff? How you found those people, where they're from, and what kind of training they get? I'm a disability advocate in British Columbia, and social enterprise is a hot topic around here these days. I'd be happy to pass on your site to the executive directors in my network, but it would be nice to have more context. If nothing else, we like to learn what worked/didn't work for entrepreneurs doing awesome work like this. You can PM or email me at pixelant3@gmail.com.
Absolutely. I am always ready to talk shop with anyone else working in disability awareness and social enterprise, because it's such a help to swap information and discuss successes and fuckups. I'm swamped this week but will PM/email you next week, if that's alright?

kim jong-illin posted:

Got a way of getting hold of you that isn't via PM? I'm definitely down to order two or three, one for myself and the others to give as meaningful presents.
Absolutely. Please write me at daryl *at* musu *dot* bi. I've also added this contact to the original post.

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Wow, those are absolutely gorgeous. I wish they were within my price range, but I'd almost be afraid to use them. More than that, I am moving at the end of the month and it'd be a bad idea to spend money frivolously.

I'm definitely going to purchase at least one at some point - and probably more for gifts. What brand name are you/will you be selling under, if that's concrete?
We will be trading under the name Musubi (JP: to connect, to bind together). Our consumer-facing website is being worked on as we speak so for now you can just write to me if you'd like one.

unkle77 posted:

Holy poo poo, those journals at gorgeous. I'm gonna PM you a bit closer to payday (next week). Thank you so much for posting this. My wife would love one of these.
Thank you! Many of our very early testers have told us the diaries make very special and meaningful gifts, especially for birthdays and anniversaries.

FAUXTON posted:

I really want to get one for Dr. FAUXTON to use as her lab journal but she's looking at moving into the private sector and I'm not sure how much use they have for academic-style lab journals in private sector biotech/microbiology/pharmacology and experimental neuroscience.

E: I on the other hand am a bank investigator and like to jot things down sometimes to better visualise stuff like layering or business structures.
One of the things I really wanted to do with these diaries was to leave their use cases totally up to the owner. As such you'll see that they have absolutely no branding on the diary itself. For the final packaging we plan to include a card - one side will have the story of its making and the signature of the disabled artisan who made your diary, and the other side will have lines printed on it so that you can use it as a backing card. That lets us make sure everyone is happy, no matter whether they want blank pages or lined pages.

Again, thank you all for the support. I will get back to those of you who've messaged me about orders as soon as I can put together that list of patterns and colours.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I can't afford a 60 dollar notebook, but I applaud you for working on behalf of the disabled. You are a good person.

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

signalnoise posted:

I can't afford a 60 dollar notebook, but I applaud you for working on behalf of the disabled. You are a good person.

It is quite a lot of money for paper but then again it is for a great cause. I just hope this deal lasts long enough I can get one of these for myself ( moneyz is all gone!!). I am developing a notebook addiction (for whatever loving reason I mean why??) and these look just great. I want/need one. Also being kind of exclusive right now makes this even more tempting. That's not a notebook you can just buy at stapples and I always like this in any product.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Kessel posted:

Oh my god, thank you all for the overwhelmingly positive response. I was seriously worried that these would find no interest in the consumer space and that our social impact mission would die flat, but I can see now that I needn't have worried.

We fountain pen users love a quality product with a good cause behind it. And Tomoe River. We'll buy pretty much anything with Tomoe River.

I'm earmarking the money I would have spent on the new Pacific Al-Star for this! (The color is more Windex in real life than the light blue press photos would have me believe, I hear.)

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Kessel posted:

I know the Australian fountain pen community I'm part of would be very fighting to buy stationary of this quality, especially for the cause as well. I don't think anyone can overstate how wonderful the initiative is.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

Kessel posted:

Absolutely. I am always ready to talk shop with anyone else working in disability awareness and social enterprise, because it's such a help to swap information and discuss successes and fuckups. I'm swamped this week but will PM/email you next week, if that's alright?

Any time, buddy. It's my hobby and my life at this point. My brother is autistic and our parents aren't around, so I do a lot of work repping for siblings. I'm not directly involved with social enterprise work, but I know some families who are. One makes artisan popcorn, another makes (amazing) chutney, and art is pretty popular. I'm working on a guide for new advocates and will probably write a chapter on entrepreneurship.

I'm also curious where your crafters are located. I kicked around SE Asia for awhile and the only time I saw folks with disabilities was in tourism-engaged workshops, weaving or painting. When you've got time, let's nerd up in FB chat or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Oh wait, I misread that post - I thought they were around $100. $60 is still a lot for a notebook, but if I can get into the place I want, I should be able to swing that pretty easily. Otherwise, the deposit will be huge and then I'll be broke for a while.

It's strange, $100 immediately makes me pump the brakes, but $60 is where I will try to make it happen if I like the item enough (which, in this case, I do).

This hobby costs too much money. It's just writing, so why do I feel compelled to spend my entire paycheck on paraphernalia

SymmetryrtemmyS fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Feb 10, 2017