Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

this game is way fun playing with friends, I just hope more modes maps and characters keep getting released at a decent clip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

MinibarMatchman posted:

this game is way fun playing with friends, I just hope more modes maps and characters keep getting released at a decent clip

Sounds like it'll be every three months like Siege. Maybe will get stale for a bit but it keeps people coming back. (maps and characters at least... no word on more modes)

panda clue
May 23, 2014

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

(maps and characters at least... no word on more modes)

ranked is at least confirmed, but thats not really a new 'mode' in an actual gameplay sense i suppose.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I'd want to see maybe 5 or 6 player teams but I suppose that'd be too chaotic

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
A bit late on the emblem chat, I was choppin dudes.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Sounds like it'll be every three months like Siege. Maybe will get stale for a bit but it keeps people coming back. (maps and characters at least... no word on more modes)

I'm sure they'll release new modes too, seems like it would be not too much work and keep things interesting.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
conqueror is ridiculous in dominion

i spent an entire match doing nothing but the sprinting tackle + heavy followup on enemies and then my teammates just wail on them while they get up

like an armor plated football player

run and tackle run back and tackle again. Stunlock them while your bud chains heavy blows :getin: TEAMWORK

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
been futzing around with the warlord. I get lots of blocks and even remember to do my shield block + guard break combo sometimes.

I find parrying really hard for some reason, the timing is really tight and it's just usually easier to block. Also I went against a berserker who guard broke a lot. Also had quite a bit of trouble with that.

Maybe I'm not using some of the moves effectively? I'm still learning the basics and not remembering some of the combo moves out of Full Guard

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Feb 10, 2017

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you

Trillhouse posted:

Welp after a few matches I can safely say move over Warden because I'm a Warlord main now. Something about that class just clicks. It's supposed to be a defensive counter hitter but I've been having a lot of success with sheer aggression. The uninterruptible heavy attacks are great against assassin characters. I just get a few hits in and trade shot for shot until they're dead.

Yeah as someone who only plays Warlord I was a bit worried with the supposed nerfs, but he's still great even now. I was never using the headbutt to close distance anyway, and it's easy to get guardbreaks even if you're not cancelling into them. He's seriously the king at tossing people off ledges, to the point where my technical learning is suffering because I'm winning so many matches just by careful positioning and environment kills. If they know how to counter guardbreak, then it's just time to parry and trade heavy blows until I win.

Warden is still insane though. Based on being on the receiving end of a level 3 Warden bot, their chains can quickly overwhelm you.

MikeC posted:

Are there attacks that cannot be parried? Some guy armed with a spear kept doing a super quick attack on me that made him roll in behind me after a strike. and spammed that attack. I tried parrying it but failed everytime.

I'm almost certain there are, but I'm not 100% sure. I know some quick combo attacks don't flash the red attack indicator, so they might not be parry-able. They're very rare if they do exist, all other attacks including unblockable ones can be parried. (Other than unblockable grabs and shoves of course.)

Baiard fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Feb 10, 2017

Mr_M
Dec 10, 2008
I just picked the game up with 5 friends, and holy balls it's GLORIOUS.

With friends, this has got to be one of the most addicting games in recent memory. Between screams of "CHEEZY PIZZA", terrible puns, and chaotic brain melting combat- this is bloody awesome... only it doesn't have much blood. Private, friends only matches can have duels that smack of the sort of shenanigans you'd see in smash brothers, only with vikings. EVERYTHING is better with vikings. My only grievance is that half my matches have some stinking samurai playing Waldo in my viking horde.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

This game is pretty fun but it seems like there's some weird poo poo going on in scrub-tier matchmaking. I'm getting bots populating my games every single game, and I just can't imagine there's not enough people playing this game right now to fill these slots. That being said, in-game I've never had lag or broken inputs or anything like that and literally every single death has me yelling "I hosed UP" and I really like that about the game

Peacekeeper is great I love it

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
As much as I was planning on playing for the Knights and maining Warden, I just have to admit I'm better as Kensei.

So I guess I'm a Samurai now?

breaks
May 12, 2001

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

This game is pretty fun but it seems like there's some weird poo poo going on in scrub-tier matchmaking. I'm getting bots populating my games every single game, and I just can't imagine there's not enough people playing this game right now to fill these slots. That being said, in-game I've never had lag or broken inputs or anything like that and literally every single death has me yelling "I hosed UP" and I really like that about the game

Peacekeeper is great I love it

Most new games seem to fill up, when I'm in games with bots it's mostly because someone quit or because I joined a game that someone quit. There's some weird game developer thing where they're always like, "leavers won't be a problem in my game because they don't get as many rewards!" But 100% of the time they end up changing it later because there's nothing people hate more than losing.

breaks fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Feb 10, 2017

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Feindfeuer posted:

You can't block guard-breaks like the shield bash, that would make them pretty useless. Dodge the shield bash, or any other guard break, and than hit them in their stupid face... or the side/back of their head.

Yeah I still can't quite get the hang of this sadly. The window of opportunity to dodge that poo poo is so small that truly good Conquerors just poo poo all over me and I rarely so much as graze them.

Bonus points for if they literally infinite chain shield bash+heavy+shield bash+heavy you into a wall til you die or however that works.

It's frustrating. They're the only matchup where my first inclination is "give up, let someone else handle it".

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
I got into a duel with an orochi as a conqueror. The guy asked me if I play Dark Souls because I was apparently r1 spamming a lot -- the conqueror has an light chain infinite which is trivial to break but he kept getting recked by it. I humored him and started using only heavies instead, to which he said that my style totally is Dark Souls because I'm turtling a lot. lol.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

I haven't run into as many Orochi players in OBT compared to CBT. However, it feels like that there is a lot more Peacemakers out there now.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

The fighting game guy in me really wishes I could record the dummy actions and just have it play against me. So many situations I keep wanting to test out but they are a bit hard to force in a normal match.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Captain Oblivious posted:

Yeah I still can't quite get the hang of this sadly. The window of opportunity to dodge that poo poo is so small that truly good Conquerors just poo poo all over me and I rarely so much as graze them.

Bonus points for if they literally infinite chain shield bash+heavy+shield bash+heavy you into a wall til you die or however that works.

It's frustrating. They're the only matchup where my first inclination is "give up, let someone else handle it".

They're not very fast and don't have amazing mobility and if you bait them they can run out of stamina pretty quickly which makes them very vulnerable. Manage distance and dodging and you'll deal with them

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Obstacle2 posted:

It's also DoA because its extremely bad and designed to be played on a controller. I wish they spent less time on such an elaborate dress-up system and more on a tutorial that actually teaches you the mechanics of the game. Unless you watch the little videos for each character you will be totally oblivious to much of the game's depth. The revive mechanic is pretty obscene in 4v4 deathmatch.

So uh, watch the videos? They're right there in the game

You get practice bots, video tutorials, advanced video tutorials and move lists. If this is not sufficient then the issue is with you

It's also easier to play with KB+mouse

get gud

breaks
May 12, 2001

I really didn't like kb+mouse at first but I switched to it because of not being able to remap the game pad. It's better once you get used to it, at least for me with many more gaming hours on Pc than console, but it is weird at first.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

I dl'ed the pc beta as well(normally on ps4) to try out the keyboard/mouse controls and I will say its not as bad as I feared. I still consider playing on a controller superior however kb+m is not bad at all.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Boy people sure do love the samurai classes huh

I don't get parrying. I can parry the bots super easily at this point but against a human opponent it feels like I can never land them, even when its functionally the same thing.

EDIT: Like I just fought a guy that did nothing but spam the warden up attack slam. I knew exactly what he was doing but I couldn't parry it at all and just got combod to death by it. I don't get it.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Feb 10, 2017

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
glistening hanzo steel

Avail
Jun 27, 2005
the internet? what the fuck is the internet?
This game is much better than I expected it to be. I'm considering actually buying it but ima see how much playability is left over the weekend.

It seems like most people are playing samurai with Vikings in close second. Of course I chose knights.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I sit in queue for 1v1 for 10 minutes and get nothing

I get a 2v2 match in 10 seconds. On the first round, my partner accuses the team of having no honor and I get stuck with a bot after he leaves.

If anything kills this game its gonna be this.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Internet Kraken posted:

I get a 2v2 match in 10 seconds. On the first round, my partner accuses the team of having no honor and I get stuck with a bot after he leaves.

It's obviously a bug with the matchmaking as others are having little to no issues with it

I almost only play 4v4 and the matchmaking is breaking constantly. Getting errors and stuff

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Kensei can dodge into you, grab you and then slam you into a wall and get off an unblockable that takes off half of your health. it feels very cool to do.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Internet Kraken posted:

BETA

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Buschmaki posted:

Kensei can dodge into you, grab you and then slam you into a wall and get off an unblockable that takes off half of your health. it feels very cool to do.

Dashing guardbreaks are super strong and only 2.5 characters have them*. Kensi can forward dash into break, raider can forward&side dash into breaks, and warden can ghetto do it by dash->shoulder->shoulder cancel into guardbreak(making it slower than kensei/raider).

Also fun warden fact: Once you start mixing shoulder bash into your strings and people dodge to left/right as its somewhat obvious, do keep in mind one of the properties of a guardbreak is complete tracking. So if they dodge in any direction but immediately away from you, your shoulder canceled into guardbreak will catch.

*Except for Shugoki/lawbringer/valkyrie, maybe? Have no idea on their moves.

Evil Canadian fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Feb 10, 2017

breaks
May 12, 2001

Actual dumb poo poo about this game:

Awful UI/UX in the menus where there are no less than three different ways of confirming something (tap, hold, confirmation window). It's seemingly random which one you need to do at any given point in the menus though I'm sure there's some insane logic to it.

Dumbass "playlist" poo poo that includes what are basically totally unrelated game modes (for example Dominion where you randomly get the moba-ish/ticket thing and one is elimination, which aren't really similar and BTW the former one sucks rear end). :siren: I'M AN IDIOT :siren:

If you're 1v1ing you spend like half your time in menus and watching the intro/outro poo poo for matches that nobody gives a gently caress about.

Fun game overall though.

breaks fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Feb 10, 2017

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
one of the 4v4 elimination spawns starts you off facing the wrong direction looking up at sky. it's very loving annoying.

Avail
Jun 27, 2005
the internet? what the fuck is the internet?
My 1v1 queues are less than 15 sec. Wish I could donate to someone as I am really digging all 4v4 modes.

I have terrible tastes.

Edit: all my matchmaking had been flawless just for comparison. I also live in a southern city so my internet is both fast and unpopulated.

Avail fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Feb 10, 2017

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

breaks posted:

Dumbass "playlist" poo poo that includes what are basically totally unrelated game modes (for example Dominion where you randomly get the moba-ish/ticket thing and one is elimination, which aren't really similar and BTW the former one sucks rear end).

What are you talking about, you choose either dominion or deathmatch to play from the map screen

breaks
May 12, 2001

Yeah you're right and I'm dumb because I clicked on the wrong thing, herp derp

(But still I think it's bad to have elimination and a ticket mode in the deathmatch playlist, though I don't think the ticket mode is actually in yet because I've never gotten it).

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
so is there a consensus on if mouse and keyboard or controller is better for this game? I have a PS4 controller I'm more used to, but I also used to play a good bit of WoW, so I'm not completely unfamiliar with the keyboard. I just would like to pick one to stick with for a while before I start playing.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

breaks posted:

Yeah you're right and I'm dumb because I clicked on the wrong thing, herp derp

(But still I think it's bad to have elimination and a ticket mode in the deathmatch playlist, though I don't think the ticket mode is actually in yet because I've never gotten it).

i don't think there is a ticket mode, it's probably just dominion you're thinking of.

breaks
May 12, 2001

I just mean whatever "kill dudes up to 1000 points" mode that it says is there in the description but that never seems to show up.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits
That's Dominion, or Domination or something like that. It's the only mode I ever end up in when I'm using quick play. I've never played anything else unless I've selected it directly on the map.

breaks
May 12, 2001

What I'm trying to get across is that the deathmatch mode says in the description that it will put you in one of two different modes, one of which is the elimination mode, and another of which is one where you respawn and fight up to 1000 points, which is presumably not exactly the same as the Dominion mode. But for the moment it only seems to put you in the elimination mode.

Anyway as far as what started this up I was just being a dumbass and clicking on the wrong thing and so I already edited my earlier post in kind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Feindfeuer posted:

That's Dominion, or Domination or something like that. It's the only mode I ever end up in when I'm using quick play. I've never played anything else unless I've selected it directly on the map.

No there's 2 different Deathmatch modes, one is elimination one is point based