Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Nah it was a huge mob of peasants with mages helping them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenaciousD
Feb 4, 2017

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Nah it was a huge mob of peasants with mages helping them.

Edited my post, thanks.

Peasants > Witchers :P

First Kaer Morhen, then Geralt gets stabbed with a pitchfork. Guess they never learn.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
And then the Cat school witcher! Seems they don't.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Nickname Pending posted:

Anyone have some general tips/advice for me? I've had this game for a while, but haven't gotten into it enough to get very far (I'm at the prep for the griffon). I guess I'm just finding the menu very clunky and so many items of which I don't even know what to do with most of them. Or what spells work best, and so on. I'm sure it would be a great game, just having a rough start (which I feel should be expected).
Gonna keep recommending my guide.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think Visenna was a sorceress and not a mage? Its a great that part un the books when they meet again. Also my interpretation is that the comitmen required to be an elite sorceress is the main reason that explain sorceress infertility more than biological reasons. Could you imagine Philippa having childrens? Yikes.

Yen best mom.

TenaciousD
Feb 4, 2017

DoctorGonzo posted:

I think Visenna was a sorceress and not a mage? Its a great that part un the books when they meet again. Also my interpretation is that the comitmen required to be an elite sorceress is the main reason that explain sorceress infertility more than biological reasons. Could you imagine Philippa having childrens? Yikes.

Yen best mom.

*druid, healer and sorceress according to the wiki. Urh, semantics, you know what I mean. :P

But Philippa would be a great mom.

Just look how at she brought up Radovid.

Committing Regicide is the best sign of maternal love.

A pity all the nuance of their relationship was lost when they turned him into a lunatic who talks to chess pieces.

TenaciousD fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Feb 9, 2017

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
One of the best moments in the saga IMO is when Yen trains child Ciri and many years latter Ciri rejects the Lodge of Sorceress because they want to left Yen out of it.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Palpek posted:

In B&W there's still a bug (as far as I can tell) that makes prostitutes stay in the room after sex, still naked so when you hire another one the previous one is present in the background during cutscenes following Geralt around with her eyes. I managed to have 4 whores in the room this way - 1 in bed and 3 standing right next to it, staring and silently judging Geralt's every move.

:lol: I love this both because it's the kind of weird glitch that cracks me up and because it indicates the team put less effort into the prostitutes (which is good).

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Spikeguy posted:

Do you have any recommendations for the settings to use? I tried a few things but it ends up with a lot of dots on Geralt's face.

Update: I found the settings that worked the best and my god I can't emphasize enough how much it improves the look of the game. It was beautiful before but now it's downright stunning.

So just to push it again, if you have PC and can run Ultra Setting, check this stuff out. https://reshade.me/

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Spikeguy posted:

Update: I found the settings that worked the best and my god I can't emphasize enough how much it improves the look of the game. It was beautiful before but now it's downright stunning.

So just to push it again, if you have PC and can run Ultra Setting, check this stuff out. https://reshade.me/

No one cares about the link to reshade, share your settings and post some screenshots.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

TenaciousD posted:

Man, I disliked that part of the game so much. Vesemir could have taken Imlerith in his sleep. How the hell is Imlerith strong enough to pin him to a wall? He could have just casted aard. The only reason they had to kill him was to move the plot along. drat it Ciri, you should have stayed in Brokilon. What a lame death for a great character.

Uhhhh no, he definitely couldn't have. Imlerith is insanely strong.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yeah, if people could post their ReShade settings that would be a big help :shobon:

TenaciousD posted:

Man, I disliked that part of the game so much. Vesemir could have taken Imlerith in his sleep. How the hell is Imlerith strong enough to pin him to a wall? He could have just casted aard. The only reason they had to kill him was to move the plot along. drat it Ciri, you should have stayed in Brokilon. What a lame death for a great character.

They did need to sell the impact of the Wild Hunt though - they're talked up as a near unstoppable force but Geralt has been able to clown them at most every step, so seeing somebody so close to them actually fall at their hands does work rather well to personalize the threat beyond the (still effective) concerns for Ciri. Also, it does make the "Who taught you to fight like this?" "THE WITCHER YOU SLEW! :flame:" moment pretty loving amazing :hellyeah:

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Keep in mind that each region has its own lighting and colormap as a cheap way to pull off different vibes without murdering the gpu. As such you're going to need at least two reshade presets (which is why I haven't bothered) because Toissant would look completely different.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Witcher 3 looks good enough that reshade probably isn't worth the trouble if you're not already familiar with it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh well I don't wanna gently caress with Toussaint since that is gloriously pretty already v:shobon:v

TenaciousD
Feb 4, 2017
Spoilers obviously, not going to tag the whole post.

SirSamVimes posted:

Uhhhh no, he definitely couldn't have. Imlerith is insanely strong.

Vesemir owns Imlerith. He parries his blows and shoves him to the ground. He could have killed him right then with a stab to the face, but runs after Eredin. Vesemir then slashes him, but gets blindsided by Imlerith as he pushes Ciri away.

In a 1:1 fight, Vesemir would take Imlerith. Pretty sure that Vesemir could even take Geralt. He is the swordmaster for a reason.

Jerusalem posted:

They did need to sell the impact of the Wild Hunt though - they're talked up as a near unstoppable force but Geralt has been able to clown them at most every step, so seeing somebody so close to them actually fall at their hands does work rather well to personalize the threat beyond the (still effective) concerns for Ciri. Also, it does make the "Who taught you to fight like this?" "THE WITCHER YOU SLEW! :flame:" moment pretty loving amazing :hellyeah:

I'm aware of why they did it. Having your main character fail gives them humanity. It's like all those old Jackie Chan movies. Would his character in those be half as interesting if he wasn't getting hurt himself all the time? It doesn't mean that it was handled as well as it could have been though.

Killing Vesemir, in that way, was the easy way out. You could replace Vesemir with any of the other characters that have a strong relationship with Ciri, and the scene would play out almost identically.

If the game had had some actual Wild Hunt content, it could have been handled differently. I'm not against Vesemir dying, someone probably had to. I'm against the way it was handled. As it stands though, and if I eliminate all my book knowledge, the Hunt, compared to Jacques or Letho, are incredibly one-sided. The game never presents them as a serious threat, even at KM, things were going well until the Deus Ex Machina, that is the White Frost.

Speaking of Imlerith, I feel like he actually has a greater screen presence than Eredin, which is just wrong.

TenaciousD fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Feb 9, 2017

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
It was probably explained somewhere but I was never sure what the wild hunt even wanted with Ciri. They can already cross dimensions just fine, just as well as her in fact since she can't escape them. I guess more dimension-jumping power is always better than less.

Eredin has less dialogue in the actual game than he did in the trailer I watched, and his dialogue in the trailer was better. wtf

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

2house2fly posted:

It was probably explained somewhere but I was never sure what the wild hunt even wanted with Ciri. They can already cross dimensions just fine, just as well as her in fact since she can't escape them. I guess more dimension-jumping power is always better than less.

Eredin has less dialogue in the actual game than he did in the trailer I watched, and his dialogue in the trailer was better. wtf

Ciri can end the White Frost, and their world is about to be hosed up by the White Frost, basically.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

2house2fly posted:

Stop the White Frost in their world.

dammit beaten!

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Crappy Jack posted:

Ciri can end the White Frost, and their world is about to be hosed up by the White Frost, basically.

That and she's basically the Kwisatz Haderach and the Wild Hunt elves want to breed her bloodline into theirs

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

TenaciousD posted:

Speaking of Imlerith, I feel like he actually has a greater screen presence than Eredin, which is just wrong.

For sure, though that bizarrely seems a rather common thing in a lot of media where the bad guy's number 2 tends to be more interesting and come across as deadlier than the supposed top bad guy.

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
It's hard to say that it's wrong that my life revolves around my dog when she is cuter and more interesting than me
Pillbug
I think Ciri's power would allow them to bring everyone from their world across instead of just the limited amounts of warriors that they were able to bring across during the game.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I think Vesemir's big story moment is handled spectacularly well and is completely believable ("He'd never lose to that guy because he's too cool" is a silly complaint TBH) but on the whole, I do admit that I never completely got a sense of what the Wild Hunt were all about, really. There's an elven politics of another world thing happening and they seem to be trying to avert their world's apocalypse and also extend their world-hopping abilities, but what do they even do with the world-hopping? Why is their whole aesthetic spooky skull armor with growling undead voices? Geralt traveled with them, sort of, but there's very little you can learn about that, besides that it made him lose his memory; there's nothing indicating what his relationship was with the Hunt while he was riding with them.

In the end, it doesn't super matter, I guess. The story is about Geralt letting Ciri grow up and make her own decisions, so a vaguely generic Winterskull Elfdrama Apocalypse Army is all you need as the Big Bad. I think ideally I either wanted more of an explanation or less of an explanation for them. If they're just some indiscernible threat wearing death masks and heralding the end of all realities, it's somehow less confusing than a bunch of otherworldly espionage somehow connected with Geralt's past. The White Frost, the Crones, and a lot of other things in the game are very effective that way; they feel like some ancient/Faerie horror that Geralt only understands some of the rules for, whereas the Hunt, once their masks come off, feel like a bunch of hedonistic goths with decent combat and magic skills.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Also the Crones being (kinda) subservient to the Hunt (or at least Imlerith) feels a little odd, because the Crones DO feel like that otherworldly and monstrous threat that the Hunt are supposed to be.

I love the game a lot and especially the ending, but the Hunt are a little underwhelming unfortunately.

TenaciousD
Feb 4, 2017
There were also a couple of plot threads that also never got resolved, like what the Hunt was doing with the people they abducted in TW2. It must have been something more than just slave labour. Or what Geralt actually did when he was a Red Rider. I have a feeling that Eredin was meant to jog his memory, but we never ended up getting a scene like that. In the game he gives up trying to remember.

I would have liked to see them do a lot more with Eredin. The guy has a personally, I mean, he killed his King by giving him aphrodisiacs that were too strong. A "normal" person would just poison him, but no, Eredin gives him a boner and a heart attack. He also looked drat intimidating in the W2 flashbacks.

If the Hunt's magic in TW3 is from harnessing the White Frost, err... why can't they just harness it and remove it from their planet. I never understood the difference.

2house2fly posted:

Eredin actually has more dialogue in TW1 than TW3, and his TW3 trailer dialogue is almost as long as the 12 one-liners he pops in the final game. Not to mention the fact that they got Steven Hartley to voice him. He's a legend. That couldn't have been cheap for what ended up being a cameo role.

TenaciousD fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Feb 10, 2017

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

Also the Crones being (kinda) subservient to the Hunt (or at least Imlerith) feels a little odd, because the Crones DO feel like that otherworldly and monstrous threat that the Hunt are supposed to be.

I love the game a lot and especially the ending, but the Hunt are a little underwhelming unfortunately.

Yeah, the Crones are amazing that way. You can't quite divine their motivation except that it is something way beyond Geralt's quest and they are at least temporarily at odds with his goals, plus his decisions when he interacts with them affect his world in huge, tangible ways. I don't mind that they're connected with the Wild Hunt, but there is a sort of implication that they're subservient, which is a little deflating.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters

TenaciousD posted:

There were also a couple of plot threads that also never got resolved, like what the Hunt was doing with the people they abducted in TW2. It must have been something more than just slave labour. Or what Geralt actually did when he was a Red Rider. I have a feeling that Eredin was meant to jog his memory, but we never ended up getting a scene like that. In the game he gives up trying to remember.

I would have liked to see them do a lot more with Eredin. The guy has a personally, I mean, he killed his King by giving him aphrodisiacs that were too strong. A "normal" person would just poison him, but no, Eredin gives him a boner and a heart attack. He also looked drat intimidating in the W2 flashbacks.

If the Hunt's magic in TW3 is from harnessing the White Frost, err... why can't they just harness it and remove it from their planet. I never understood the difference.

Eredin actually has more dialogue in TW1 than TW3, and his TW3 trailer dialogue is almost as long as the 12 one-liners he pops in the final game. Not to mention the fact that they got Steven Hartley to voice him. He's a legend. That couldn't have been cheap for what ended up being a cameo role.

You can ask yen what happened and she said they were held hostage so ciri would come after them.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I really should go back to Witcher 2, I had no idea it was tied closely to Witcher 3.

So I found all the Master Crafted armor recipies, and was able to make the Ursine set, which makes Geralt look like a Viking with all the furs and stuff, but dammit, i'm going to have to go back to the main game and find the recipes for the last tier Wolven, Griffin and Feline.

Is it weird I played through this game doing all the ? first, then the treasure hunts, then the contracts, then the side quests, then the main quests? I found doing the main quests in a row really helped the narrative.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Drifter posted:

Witcher 3 looks good enough that reshade probably isn't worth the trouble if you're not already familiar with it.
Nah, it's worth it and tinkering with a couple of settings takes like 10 minutes effects of which you can see applied live, there's nothing to be familiar with. I linked a few pre-made settings earlier in the thread if people don't want to bother with "click button, like it? no? click another button".

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Is it worth messing with reshade even if your gpu isn't great? I have a 1050gtx, I haven't installed Witcher 3 yet, I think the most up to date graphics game I've played so far has been Shadow of Mordor. I played at medium and it never dipped below 70, which it was locked at from vsync, so probably could have bumped up more details even.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Reshade will shave off 5-8 fps from the performance so it's advisable mainly for people who can already run the game on ultra and want to push it more.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Yeah, I have a 1070 and I'm hitting a constant 60 most of the time on the highest possible settings at 1080p (since I'm playing in my living room instead of at my desk). I can stand to squeeze a little more out, though I have zero loving idea what any of the shaders -really- do baring the really obviously named ones, and the individual settings themselves are especially obscure when they aren't made static (and therefore pointless).

Is there like a guide that explains exactly what the gently caress the things do (or at least it'd be good to know why things even get a box when you can't change it)

Of course, that's all academic since my witcher installation doesn't run at all when I installed reshade over it, but it looks wonderful as is :v:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

So I don't remember that werewolf in the early game having such ridiculous regen - I've finished the game on Death March without issue and this guy just beat the poo poo out of me. Guess I better go actually develop some bombs and potions instead of just slack-assing my way into the cave with a lovely sword. :sweatdrop:

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Crappy Jack posted:

Then they should have just asked nicely, then let her go on about it. :downs:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Fuzz posted:

Keep in mind that each region has its own lighting and colormap as a cheap way to pull off different vibes without murdering the gpu. As such you're going to need at least two reshade presets (which is why I haven't bothered) because Toissant would look completely different.

I just want a mod or something that would make Velen less gloomy and rainy (I know, it's on purpose) for second playthrough. Is there one like that?

Yikes A Zombie!
Jul 18, 2003

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Of course, that's all academic since my witcher installation doesn't run at all when I installed reshade over it, but it looks wonderful as is :v:

I installed Reshade and Witcher crashed when I tried to launch it. You basically just need to delete the Reshade files in the Witcher folder to get it working again.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

So I don't remember that werewolf in the early game having such ridiculous regen - I've finished the game on Death March without issue and this guy just beat the poo poo out of me. Guess I better go actually develop some bombs and potions instead of just slack-assing my way into the cave with a lovely sword. :sweatdrop:

Quest one owned me on medium before I went fully prepared. I was around advised quest level too.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
I'm doing the painted house in HoS, and sure Olgierd is ~an uncultured boor~ and ~not refined~ but goddamn is he hot as gently caress! :shlick: That family should be drat grateful he'd be sharing his genes with Iris to make new super-hot von Everecs. :colbert:

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Olgierd is a bad man and i sold his soul to the devil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

I'm doing the painted house in HoS, and sure Olgierd is ~an uncultured boor~ and ~not refined~ but goddamn is he hot as gently caress! :shlick: That family should be drat grateful he'd be sharing his genes with Iris to make new super-hot von Everecs. :colbert:

:whitewater: