Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
My contribution to guitar dad chat.

Dad saw The Beatles live at Dodger Stadium when he was 13 :eyepop:
He bought a guitar I think just before or soon after that. He'd play along to all the Beatles records with his friends and learn how to sing harmonies by listening to them. He played in bands in high school, and when I was a kid I remember him having all his pals over jamming late into the night. He has an encyclopedic knowledge of every Beatles and James Taylor song ever written. Like a human jukebox, just name a song and he plays every note and knows every word.

In 1971, he bought this '61 Stratocaster for $200. This is the only electric guitar he's ever owned in his adult life. Sounds great paired with his 70's vintage Peavey 2x12 tube amp :getin:

Note that it still has the bridge cover, which very few guitars of that vintage retained through their life. Players would use them as ash trays while gigging, and forget to bring them home with them.

This was the guitar I learned to play on, and that's my baseline of how a guitar should look and feel. This was setting myself up for a life of disappointment, because I'll never own a guitar that I like as much as that one.

He sold it a few years ago, because life happens and he's got bills to pay. He was so sad about it, as that's probably the only real "prized possession" he's ever had.
He went through a guitar consignment shop in the SF Bay area. Buyer was Joe Satriani, and I think it went for ~$20k or so. One day maybe I'll get rich and contact him and ask to buy it back.

Dad's brother never married or had kids, and has probably owned 200 guitars over his lifetime. He started running out of space, and sent a couple of them to my dad. One was a really nice Tokai acoustic just like John Lennon used to play, and the other is a Epiphone Firebird with the pickups swapped for a Seymour Duncan JB and Jazz Model. I've had the Firebird at my house pretty much ever since, and have been enjoying getting back into playing after a long break of grad school, starting a career, and having babies.

Last year he started asking if he could have that Firebird back. Nope, too bad, I love it and I'm keeping it. He wanted to start gigging with an electric in a Beach Boys cover band, so needed an electric again.
I came to the thread asking about buying one of the 60's mexistrats. Dad's got simple tastes, he just wants something that matches the look and feel of his old guitar.
I found a guy on craigslist selling his in literally mint condition for $600 with the lacquer finish. Guy bought it new, decided he didn't like strats, and put it back in the case and put it in the closet for a year.
The back plate still had the plastic covering on it. So I bought it to give to Dad.
Here's a photo of the guitar, hubba hubba.

He was over the moon when I gave it to him. He brought in his old amp from the garage and just played for hours and hours. That's my guitar dad story. Here's a bonus photo of him playing his old Strat during the early 80's. Miami Vice was on the air, acid-washed denim was in, and he was playing in a cover band that was pretty successful and profitable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

muike posted:

Any good beginner guides on cab mic placement?

More than enough info here:

http://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/guitar-amp-recording?print=yes

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

canyoneer posted:

He was over the moon when I gave it to him. He brought in his old amp from the garage and just played for hours and hours.

loving hell yes :)

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

I JUST CAN'T STOP TALKING ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE'S PONY AVATARS

~SMcD

canyoneer posted:

My contribution to guitar dad chat.

That's a really cool story. Too bad the guitar isn't still in the family but life. Your dad sounds like a cool dude.

Alleric
Dec 10, 2002

Rambly Bastard...
Fundamentals question.

I changed jobs mid last year and the nature of the time commitment and geography meant I wasn't taking lessons weekly anymore. So I've kind of been scheduling my own curriculum to frame practice. My skills on chord grips that get into expanded triatic forms are way week, and I'm working though that now with an Al Di Meola book I have laying around. I also have an OMG CHORD GRIMOIRE OF DOOOOOOM, but that eventually just devolves into showing how a given 3-5 string grip can be chord A or some crazed mad extension of chord B when you reharmonize the bass to chord B's root. Whatever. I'm weak on grips and I'm currently working on grips.

Pentatonic boxes I have worked out. Movable pentatonic scale forms I have worked out. CAGED-like scale forms I have worked out. Movable diatonic scale forms I have worked out.

What else could I start looking at as far as functional finger work outside of chords? I'm working on some 3-note-per-string stuff across 5 frets to try to get the stretch more comfortable on my fretting hand. Arpeggios? Should I try to focus more on picking technique and speed (I suuuuuuuck at speed on every instrument I've ever played)?

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Man that strat story. I was gonna be like "noooooooo you don't sell a '61 to pay some bills!" And then I saw it went to Satriani for $20k and was like "oh, okay, that's actually fine." And then it ended with a happy ending of dad playing guitar again. :3:

Jerry Steinfeld
Dec 25, 2012

muike posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksm9hUpbkdQ this is a bit more in-depth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQX71Ycrg28&t=97s this is simpler and more basic

Jerry Steinfeld fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Feb 8, 2017

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I have a tab request. I'm trying to learn this little bit here by ear/sight: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrCLgnwgr3M&t=68s

My brain is telling me it's the following and it sounds right to me but I'd like a second opinion.

code:
E|--------------------------------|
B|------8-9-8----8----------------|
G|----8-------10---10-8-7---------|
D|-10---------------------10-8----|
A|-----------------------------10-|
E|--------------------------------|

E|-----------------------------|
B|------8-9-8----9/11--9-8-----|
G|----8-------10-----------10--|
D|-10--------------------------|
A|-----------------------------|
E|-----------------------------|

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I'm getting in to a little soldering myself. I dropped my Agile AL-2500 and busted it. Since I also have an epi lp special II I'm going to try a pickup transplant.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

muike posted:

0 to 45 degrees angle somewhere between about one or two inches to the side of the centre of the speaker cone. Go open a beer, she'll be right.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
I just discovered guitar slides and open tuning! :woop:

gently caress yes, I can't believe how much fun this is! Anyone have any good recommendations or resources for learning bluesy slide stuff?

Waldstein Sonata
Feb 19, 2013
An acquisition and a victory

It probably belongs in the stupid music poo poo thread, but I picked up an effectively new Schecter 8 string (http://www.schecterguitars.com/guitars/hellraiser-hybrid-c-8-detail) for half price. It's pretty, the EMGs that came in it don't sound like rear end (and actually sound good in the normal guitar range to boot), and I'm happily thonking out Meshuggah songs. The 28" scale length is also great for practicing songs in the guitar's normal range since Fender and Gibson scale guitars feel like easy mode, afterwards.

The victory was finding out that my office doesn't care if I practice in my cubicle during lunch time, so I'm able to get a solid half hour or so of practice in every day. It's encouraging to be able to practice when I have a little bit of brain power left instead of after 8 hours of drafting and 60 miles of beltway commuting.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

GuitarDad Chat is great! Good feels all around :) It would have been nice if either of my parents cared an iota for liberal arts but otoh I wouldn't be the person I am today without them so :)

OSU_Matthew posted:

I just discovered guitar slides and open tuning! :woop:

gently caress yes, I can't believe how much fun this is! Anyone have any good recommendations or resources for learning bluesy slide stuff?

For anyone reading this who isn't into slide, try Open C (CGCGCE) because altho I really don't enjoy Devin Townsend much, he's right that it's fluid and just WORKS man: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/guitar_techniques/messing_with_alternate_tunings_cgcgce.html

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Southern Heel posted:

For anyone reading this who isn't into slide, try Open C (CGCGCE) because altho I really don't enjoy Devin Townsend much, he's right that it's fluid and just WORKS man: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/guitar_techniques/messing_with_alternate_tunings_cgcgce.html

I'm reading this now, gonna try it in next band practice cos we are writing a song with slide on it. Thanks!

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Anyone here good with appraising (classical) guitars?

I've got my Takamine on Reverb, but it's come to my attention that it might not be a Hirade. I was led to believe it was but the label only says Takamine 6, instead of Hirade 6.

Can anyone confirm or deny this? Any idea on the going rate one way or the other?

--

What I've been told is this was originally sold in Japan, and that's why it isn't labelled "Hirade". Still, I'd appreciate any information.

nitsuga fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Feb 9, 2017

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

peter gabriel posted:

I'm reading this now, gonna try it in next band practice cos we are writing a song with slide on it. Thanks!

Open C cult is always in need of new blood. Join us!

It's seriously too fun. The drones, the massive easy octaves, the highly symmetrical scale patterns. It's a lovely tuning.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
So soon after I posted I was gonna buy that red Yamaha Pacifica a coworker saw me looking at amps on Amazon and asked me if I was trying to learn guitar. After answering in the affirmative he offered to let me borrow his beginner guitar instead, which turned out to be...a Yamaha Pacifica! Except with the natural wood finish.

He also let me borrow a couple other random things like 2 (?) Rocksmith cables so the last couple nights I've been slowly pissing off my wife by hogging the the TV learning on Rocksmith 2014 on my new HTPC. This game is really well-designed! I love the dynamic difficulty and ability to slow down sections and repeat them endlessly until you get it right.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Cicero posted:

So soon after I posted I was gonna buy that red Yamaha Pacifica a coworker saw me looking at amps on Amazon and asked me if I was trying to learn guitar. After answering in the affirmative he offered to let me borrow his beginner guitar instead, which turned out to be...a Yamaha Pacifica! Except with the natural wood finish.

He also let me borrow a couple other random things like 2 (?) Rocksmith cables so the last couple nights I've been slowly pissing off my wife by hogging the the TV learning on Rocksmith 2014 on my new HTPC. This game is really well-designed! I love the dynamic difficulty and ability to slow down sections and repeat them endlessly until you get it right.

Awesome! There is a whole Rocksmith thread as well!

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Natural Pacificas are beautiful looking to me, I really like them

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

peter gabriel posted:

That JEM Woody is nice too I think

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Let's say I got my neck and my bridge pickups mixed up. I don't think I did, but what would the symptom be if I did?

I'm far more likely to get them backwards on the switch I think.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
They would just be reversed on the switch, unless you mixed up their north and south polarities.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

muike posted:

They would just be reversed on the switch, unless you mixed up their north and south polarities.

No I mean if I put the bridge pickup in the neck slot. I have a pretty good idea bout what's going on with the switch but it's fine if I get that backwards.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Depends on the set, but the spacing is probably off as bridge pickups are going to be a little wider than neck pickups.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
depends on the pickups. they'll be voiced differently so it might not be ideal but i used to switch my neck D Activator with the bridge one and dug it so who knows.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
I'll be going in for back surgery in a couple of weeks with 2-6 weeks suggested bedrest afterwards and not a lot to do. There's no risk to my spine so I'd like to keep practicing guitar while recovering.

Anyone have any suggestions other than propping myself up with a bunch of pillows and getting a music stand for tabs?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Play laying down, kinda like Angus

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006
diplodocus + mortarboard = party
Les Paul Chat:

I got mine out for the first time in a while and Jesus they are the least ergonomic guitars ever built. how does anyone actually play one of these without hurting themselves

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

That feeling when you have six thumbs and four useless nubs :(

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

Professor Science posted:

Les Paul Chat:

I got mine out for the first time in a while and Jesus they are the least ergonomic guitars ever built. how does anyone actually play one of these without hurting themselves

what kind of LP is it? i've got a les paul classic which is weight relieved and it's not too bad. my dad has one of those custom shop RIs though, which would probably kill me if i played it at a gig for 2 hours.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Les Paul Chat:

Aside from the weight I think Gibson has great ergonomics, at least for my body. Then again I think my CV Tele is pure comfort and it's basically a straight thick board.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

...and the pitch! posted:

Let's say I got my neck and my bridge pickups mixed up. I don't think I did, but what would the symptom be if I did?

I'm far more likely to get them backwards on the switch I think.
[Edit]
Nevermind, you meant bridge vs neck pickups

Dolphin fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Feb 10, 2017

bsamu
Mar 11, 2006

Anyone have any experiences with the Godin A6? It's basically a hollowbody electric with no f holes, and instead of the bridge humbucker it has a piezo inside. It looks like it'd sound similar to an electric when unplugged but plugged in you can do a lot of blending between the humbucker and the piezo and get some really great sounds for whatever you're doing.

I'm thinking about one to be my acoustic electric and also a more jazzy guitar.

e: this, for the lazy: http://www.godinguitars.com/godina6ultrap.htm

bsamu fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Feb 10, 2017

Chargrilled Face
Nov 4, 2008

peter gabriel posted:

Have Pacificas always had a good reputation? My dad gave me his old-rear end Pacifica a while ago, it's a little beaten and bruised around the edges but it still plays super smoothly. I kinda like the little chips and dents it has and I've always dug the natural look too.

I have no idea how old it is though and there doesn't seem to be anything on the headstock to indicate when it was made.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

They were the go to starter guitar for the 00's afaik and generally have good QC if nothing else :)

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Chargrilled Face posted:

Have Pacificas always had a good reputation?

They really have yes, they are a total safe bet. Yamaha is nothing if not consistent, not always mega exciting but always good quality.

Les Paul Chat:

Mine usually wants to slide to the right if I am sat down, and the top edge of the body digs in me, probably my least comfortable guitar to play. But then I play a note and it's all forgotten :allears:

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Les Paul Chat:

I've only tried a couple, but they felt like playing a railroad tie to me.

Alleric
Dec 10, 2002

Rambly Bastard...

Kilometers Davis posted:

Aside from the weight I think Gibson has great ergonomics, at least for my body. Then again I think my CV Tele is pure comfort and it's basically a straight thick board.

I'm still doing strap adjustments and things on my LP to figure out the comfy spot. It'll get there I'm sure, but I would agree... my Tele is pretty much the guitar equivalent of "your favorite pair of jeans" or "comfort food".

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Most comfy award goes to my Jag, it's just absolutely perfect sat down or stood up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

peter gabriel posted:

Mine usually wants to slide to the right if I am sat down, and the top edge of the body digs in me, probably my least comfortable guitar to play. But then I play a note and it's all forgotten :allears:

Remember, they were originally intended for people used to big jazz guitars, so you're supposed to sit all classy-like. The color scheme for the first LP Custom was so you'd look :radcat: when you were playing in your tuxedo!

I generally do the folded leg, tilted toward body thing, myself:

(pictured: not me)