Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
The great thing about WA is that we didn't privatise our power grid yet unlike the rest of you idiots. So we don't run into all the horrible power supply issues like the rest of you idiots.

Fake Edit: The joke is that the libs are currently trying to privatise our power grid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Qld also still owns it's power grid iirc

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
I would congratulate Queensland, but yeah, man you guys got a whole lot more problems than a lovely gold plated grid.

EDIT: I say this but we're probably gonna elect pauline over here so :suicide:

Brayds2006
Aug 21, 2011

hooman posted:

EDIT: I say this but we're probably gonna elect pauline over here so :suicide:
Nah we'll get there first: https://twitter.com/GhostWhoVotes/status/830042659045511170

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

QLD and WA are both going to elect One Nation MPs but not because we are bad states but because we are the brave heroes that dived in first in which our death spiral will warn the other states causing the vote percentage share for the Greens to go up.

We are the states that feeds Victoria's Spirit bomb while Sydney fights Freiza.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Yeah, nah QLD and WA are just poo poo and should gently caress off.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Yeah, nah QLD and WA are just poo poo and should gently caress off.

Goku no...

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I think QLD is Yumcha, WA is Tien, SA is kid Gohan, NT is Dende, NSW is Krillan, Victoria is Goku and Act is Piccolo.

Tasmania is Hercule.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Hutt River is Garlic Jr and New Zealand is Vegeta.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Anidav posted:

I think QLD is Yumcha, WA is Tien, SA is kid Gohan, NT is Dende, NSW is Krillan, Victoria is Goku and Act is Piccolo.

Tasmania is Hercule.

Anidav posted:

Hutt River is Garlic Jr and New Zealand is Vegeta.

March OP gimmick?

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Anidav posted:

Tasmania is Hercule.

Uh I think you'll find Hercule's actual name is Mr Satan and I feel this fits Tasmania much better

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...
I meant great as in large guys. 'Cause we're really big and you're all loving tiny.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Don't ever buy from Dominos again just fyi

http://www.theage.com.au/interactive/2017/the-dominos-effect/

A six-month investigation by Fairfax Media into Domino’s and its franchisees has uncovered widespread underpayment of wages, the deliberate underpayment of penalties using a delivery scam and the illegal sale of sponsorships of migrants for as much as $150,000.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

NTRabbit posted:

A six-month investigation by Fairfax Media into Domino’s and its franchisees has uncovered widespread underpayment of wages, the deliberate underpayment of penalties using a delivery scam and the illegal sale of sponsorships of migrants for as much as $150,000.

Here we go again.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug
If they didn't have to pay penalty rates and one of the highest company tax rates in the developed world this corner cutting would never happen.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
the real price of a $5 pizza

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Cirofren posted:

If they didn't have to pay penalty rates and one of the highest company tax rates in the developed world this corner cutting would never happen.

You're probably kidding but I just want to point out that Dominos makes a profit around six hundred million a year.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-02-10/federal-government-tries-to-block-removal-of-trees-st-kilda-rd/8261316?WT.ac=localnews_melbourne

Sure, the Liberals are happy to do coal seam gas exploration and chop down wilderness areas for wood chips but chop down some trees on St Kilda Road in Melbourne and that's a huge environmental issue!

Morons. They have been so against the Metro Rail tunnel that's it's getting ridiculous

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

NTRabbit posted:

ughhhh but we were told that it was only 7/11, and that it wasn't widespread.

are you telling me that this kind of thing is widespread????? and that an industry has problems with self-regulation?

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
It's just a few bad pineapples like in the ADF and the catholic church. There really isn't any problem overall.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

NTRabbit posted:

I am not surprised. At all. I deal with domino's franchises in my role so I know that this;

quote:

It said the average profitability of a franchisee ranges between $138,000 and $145,000 a year.

Is patently false.

I can't share numbers and won't share more than that

Sparticle
Oct 7, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

I worked for Dominos for almost 7 years so I'll explain why franchisees are hosed.

All the stores I ever worked at were eventually sold to franchisees regardless of sales and profitability. I worked at the most profitable store in Brisbane at a point where we were hitting record sales. Stores get sold to people who have a maximum of 3 months of training. You have people who have no idea how to run a successive store in charge. You see a lot of experienced staff quit recently sold stores because no one likes working for incompetent managers. Making 100 pizzas in half an hour only to watch the boss lose control of the ovens because they can't cut fast enough is really disheartening. Inexperienced managers also tend to screw up stock orders and under/overstaff days which kills their margins for the entire week.

So, the franchisee isn't making any money. The first thing they look at is labour. They cut staff hours until they realise that means they must either get good enough to do the work of 2 people or start working ridiculous hours. After that plan backfires they start rostering staff normally but look for ways to lower their pay. They lower wages to the minimum they can legally get away with and when that doesn’t work it’s time for the dodgy poo poo. The first store I worked at tried to make drivers wages come entirely out of deliveries. So, if there were few deliveries you weren't getting paid. It also meant that drivers had zero incentive work inside the store between deliveries. At this point, most experienced staff are gone because they can get higher pay, better hours and easier work at some other corporate store.

So, you are left with a store incapable of remaining profitable. Franchisees misplace the blame on “unattainable” margins instead of inadequate training. 15-21k is pretty low. The margins are only unattainable because they have been convinced that they can run a store without the years of experience of their predecessors who could comfortably hit those margins. Eventually the failed store will be sold back to corporate or another franchisee.

Corporate knows these problems exist and mostly ignore them. They know inexperienced managers can't run a store and that the result is staff getting hosed over. They set these people up for failure because it is more profitable to sell off stores than keep running profitable ones themselves.

E:

quote:

Is patently false.

I can't share numbers and won't share more than that

I would imagine these numbers are from (or at least include) corporate stores. Also that range is far too small. The difference in profit between 20k and 40k per week stores is much larger.

E2: I haven't worked for dominos for almost 5 years now so practices may have changed (probably got worse).

Sparticle fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Feb 11, 2017

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Lmao at Tim's photo.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...
Radical idea. Government raises revenue, much like facebook seems to think the Police do, by fining the poo poo out of people. But rather than small petty fines for parking somewhere you shouldn't. The government places masses fines on things like 'chronically and systematically underpaying staff and somewhat criminally forcing staff members to do dodgey poo poo like give their pay back or selling places to foreign workers'.

Not paltry fines. Huge fines. Make them pay back all the money to their staff, then all the dividends for the shareholders for that period of time, and the CEO was pay all of their money they were earning in that period of time as well. Plus any remaining profits.

If doing something lovely means no one higher than a basic employee gets paid, CEO's will be encouraged not to be poo poo, shareholders will be encouraged not to support lovely ideas wittingly or unwittingly and managers will dread being poo poo because they'll be out on their arse.

Hearing of how much of this crap goes on from the micro level (small bars) to huge million dollar companies, I feel like we'd quickly be back in surplus and then, fingers crossed, have few problems like these in the future.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
What % of Dominos stores are franchisee owned and what % are corporate owned?

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Konomex posted:

Radical idea. Government raises revenue, much like facebook seems to think the Police do, by fining the poo poo out of people. But rather than small petty fines for parking somewhere you shouldn't. The government places masses fines on things like 'chronically and systematically underpaying staff and somewhat criminally forcing staff members to do dodgey poo poo like give their pay back or selling places to foreign workers'.

Not paltry fines. Huge fines. Make them pay back all the money to their staff, then all the dividends for the shareholders for that period of time, and the CEO was pay all of their money they were earning in that period of time as well. Plus any remaining profits.

If doing something lovely means no one higher than a basic employee gets paid, CEO's will be encouraged not to be poo poo, shareholders will be encouraged not to support lovely ideas wittingly or unwittingly and managers will dread being poo poo because they'll be out on their arse.

Hearing of how much of this crap goes on from the micro level (small bars) to huge million dollar companies, I feel like we'd quickly be back in surplus and then, fingers crossed, have few problems like these in the future.

You could do that, but it's a lot of work. Why not just cut conditions to reflect real rates of pay? Problem solved.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

What % of Dominos stores are franchisee owned and what % are corporate owned?

No idea

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please
$15k break even minimum is pretty hilarious, no wonder Dominos was getting murdered in Victoria. You would have to be the most popular store in your area, or have no competition, to hit those numbers. No one is buying that poo poo when there's independents around.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Sparticle
Oct 7, 2012

Nibbles! posted:

$15k break even minimum is pretty hilarious, no wonder Dominos was getting murdered in Victoria. You would have to be the most popular store in your area, or have no competition, to hit those numbers. No one is buying that poo poo when there's independents around.

In qld an average sized store makes 25-30k.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Hey nerds cone to speakers corner if you are game!!

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please

Sparticle posted:

In qld an average sized store makes 25-30k.

What's NSW like? I'd always heard Qld and regional were money spinners simply cause there's no competition. I don't know if Dominos is even breaking even in Victoria yet. They'd been propping up the Vic stores for years and years.

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

Anidav posted:

Lmao at Tim's photo.

Who changed it from 89 to 93 seats...?

Sparticle
Oct 7, 2012

Nibbles! posted:

What's NSW like? I'd always heard Qld and regional were money spinners simply cause there's no competition. I don't know if Dominos is even breaking even in Victoria yet. They'd been propping up the Vic stores for years and years.

No idea about NSW but I can't imagine it being that different from QLD. Competition has always existed for Dominos it's just that no other company can poo poo out as many cheap, mediocre pizzas as dominos. One of the stores I worked at made 40k a week with 6 - 7 competitors in the same region. Most Australians are not going to be spending twice as much on pizzas that are only marginally better (Pizza Capers, Crust etc.) and the market for actual good independent pizza is non-existent outside of urban centers.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

asio posted:

Who changed it from 89 to 93 seats...?

Qld govt redrew the map a few months back iirc

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

Anidav posted:

Qld govt redrew the map a few months back iirc

Hasn't come in yet tho, minister is sitting on it and still needs "community consultation"

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

This is why pizza hut is the superior pizza. :smug:

They make up for the complete and utter shittiness of their pizzas by just dumping loads of sauce and toppings on for a fatty and salty mess and as a goon I'm contractually obligated to love it.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Sparticle posted:

No idea about NSW but I can't imagine it being that different from QLD. Competition has always existed for Dominos it's just that no other company can poo poo out as many cheap, mediocre pizzas as dominos. One of the stores I worked at made 40k a week with 6 - 7 competitors in the same region. Most Australians are not going to be spending twice as much on pizzas that are only marginally better (Pizza Capers, Crust etc.) and the market for actual good independent pizza is non-existent outside of urban centers.

Odd. This isn't even remotely true in Victoria. You're likely to find 1 or 2 good independent pizza restaurants per regional town.

Best state.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Haha so the anti choice peeps bussed a whole bunch of people from around the state.

QLD is the weirdest

• Locked thread