Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
Hm, fair enough. Thanks for the advice. I'll hold off. Maybe the next time a 1 event rolls around, the banners won't be so sucky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Looking forward to the next event, Fujin and her relics seem pretty good so I was definitely going to set some mythril aside for that, but I'm curious what people think of Raijin and Seifer. It seems like a really good banner to pull on because the range of characters you could get relics for is so small, so its a little easier to target if you wanted something for somebody in particular. Does Seifer have any place with his Physical Dark stuff?

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Well ok then, dollar pull. :stare:

Immediately threw 30 Rosetta Stones at it, for maximum :black101:

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Cinnamon Bear posted:

Looking forward to the next event, Fujin and her relics seem pretty good so I was definitely going to set some mythril aside for that, but I'm curious what people think of Raijin and Seifer. It seems like a really good banner to pull on because the range of characters you could get relics for is so small, so its a little easier to target if you wanted something for somebody in particular. Does Seifer have any place with his Physical Dark stuff?

Raijin is basically Zell, except with worse skills (Support 3 isn't worth crap, Celerity 3->4 is worse than Celerity 4->5) and better equipment (Axes and Hammers aren't great but Spear access is nice). He's not really worth paying attention to unless you get his BSB, which is the reigning king of burst damage (though it takes a lot of time to build it up to that point) and backup healing. His SSB (Guts + party Powerchain + High Regen) is good for support, but not worth a slot on the team.

Seifer without any particular relics is more useful for his Knight 5 access than anything else, since he's FF8's one native Knight (which is important for Cid Missions, mostly). His BSB is a bit odd to use but powerful if used right - it draws attacks towards him, and then you use his Command 1 (+DEF/-RES bargain, selfish damage reflect) to take as much damage as possible and his Command 2 to keep healed up. I'm pretty sure his SSB on this banner is the usual 610 +30% ATK/MAG suite that we've seen on OK BSB and Alphinaud SSB, et al, too.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Question about Golbez' BSB. The entry does 7 hits and self-buffs +30% MAG along with the sentinel buff to DEF, does this stack at all with other +30% MAG, say Ley Lines or Memento Mori? I know Raines' BSB and Yuna's BSB2 will stack with it, just unsure of the ID

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Beasteh posted:

Question about Golbez' BSB. The entry does 7 hits and self-buffs +30% MAG along with the sentinel buff to DEF, does this stack at all with other +30% MAG, say Ley Lines or Memento Mori? I know Raines' BSB and Yuna's BSB2 will stack with it, just unsure of the ID

Won't stack. Golbez BSB is 601 + Sentinel as seperate buffs.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Varance posted:

Meliadoul is the daughter of Vormav/Folmarv and sister of Izlude/Isilud. She initially tries to kill Ramza, thinking that he killed Isilud, and joins the party after finding out pops is a member of Lucavi from Marquis Elmdore and that he killed her brother, after which pops tries to kill Mel (and Ramza intervenes).

This one:

The Tactics characters we're likely to see over the next year or so:
Beowulf (Samurai/Spellblade)
Reis (Monk/Dragoon/White Mage)
Meliadoul (Combat/Support/White Mage)
Folmarv (Summoner/Darkness/Black)
Luso (Thief/maaaybe Ninja)

You (and others) are correct. Thank you. I would be happy with either or both of them in the game. FFT would be extremely heavy with Knights though.

Speaking of knights, I am continually annoyed that Onion Knight cannot use Knight abilities :argh:

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

I trudged my way into a Mastery over the FFX D200 Torment dungeon. Man that was rough. Had only Wakka BSB for RS. Used Tidus BSB for RW and a pure Physical team. Relied on a party of Y'shtola (BSB, SS2), Ramza (Shout and BSB), Luneth (BSB was my primary DPS), Wakka (Full break BSB), and Vanille (BSB). Basically hit him for about 15-20k damage per turn using Eternal Wind and Assault Reels. Once I got the fucker to about half HP, I cast a shout and used Tidus RW on Ramza and Luneth to smack him down as quickly as possible.

Took a few S/Ls, but it seemed mostly about timing my mitigations. If I missed a window, AOE attacks would hit me for 3k+ damage, Having Vanille's insta-cast BSB is a life saver for those regurgitate turns. I don't think I stand a chance at D250.

I have the FFV torment left, though luckily I don't feel as strongly about Spellblade skills.

iamsosmrt fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Feb 10, 2017

Sayara
May 10, 2009
Started around week ago and would now have enough for my first pull. Which pull should I use it on? I have chars mostly from IV and now from I from events.

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

Sayara posted:

Started around week ago and would now have enough for my first pull. Which pull should I use it on? I have chars mostly from IV and now from I from events.

Do the FF7 lucky pull. It's half-price but limited to one pull only, and all of the equipment is at minimum SSB (Super Soul Break). If you get item(s) for characters you don't have yet, then steer towards unlocking them first (either through Hero Souls or if they're available from a dungeon).

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Sayara posted:

You should probably do the FFVII Lucky Draw because it's only 25 mythril and everything is a Super Soul Break or better. If you pull something decent, you can spend a Hero Soul to snag the character you got the awesome SB for. After that, I would suggest the Keeper Choice Soul Breaks Volume 2 (for the love of god don't do volume 1). That banner has a really good variety, includes meta staples like Ramza's Shout and Tyro's Sentinel's Grimoire, and you get a bonus 5* piece of armor (really good because 5* armor isn't nearly as common as 5* weapons).

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

U-DO Burger posted:

You should probably do the FFVII Lucky Draw because it's only 25 mythril and everything is a Super Soul Break or better. If you pull something decent, you can spend a Hero Soul to snag the character you got the awesome SB for. After that, I would suggest the Keeper Choice Soul Breaks Volume 2 (for the love of god don't do volume 1). That banner has a really good variety, includes meta staples like Ramza's Shout and Tyro's Sentinel's Grimoire, and you get a bonus 5* piece of armor (really good because 5* armor isn't nearly as common as 5* weapons).

Keepers Choice 3 is coming soon and will have better stuff, while still having the meta staples (and adding in nu-meta stuff like Indomitable Blade and Sheepsong). Another half-price lucky draw will happen in the next 2-ish weeks with the incoming dungeon update for February (and will likely also be SSB+ only quality). I'd save for those if you're looking to pull soon-ish as a new player. If you want to plan out a bit more long-term, some crazy-go-nuts banners are coming near the end of March when the game's 2nd yearly anniversary hits. None of the current event banners are particularly attractive.

Sayara
May 10, 2009
Thanks! Did FFVII one and got Burst for Zack and Super for Vincent. Keeper's gave me Burst for Squall and Super for Ramza, and picked healing bracers for something extra to keep my folks alive.

And guess I'll save my mythril for the upcoming ones next.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
ramza's platinum sword is really good, even now

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Sayara posted:

Thanks! Did FFVII one and got Burst for Zack and Super for Vincent. Keeper's gave me Burst for Squall and Super for Ramza, and picked healing bracers for something extra to keep my folks alive.

holy crap congrats on the awesome pulls. Ramza's SSB is top tier, and now that you've got it he will be the engine that powers your physical team.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Sayara posted:

You got the SB that the thread is named after. Congrats.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

U-DO Burger posted:

holy crap congrats on the awesome pulls. Ramza's SSB is top tier, and now that you've got it he will be the engine that powers your physical team.

Indeed. I would say the best SB in the game is still Sentinel's Grimoire, and the #2 is Ramza's Shout. There are a lot of other good haste/boost effects now, so it's less clear-cut than it used to be, but in a nutshell:

- Dedicated physical teams are still usually the best option. Mages don't have Lifesiphon or Breakdowns, and hybrid teams are less efficient
- Not much else boosts for 50%, and 50% is a lot more than 30%
- Cid VII has his own Shout variant, but Ramza is a much better character who fits easily into any physical team
- There are other 50% boosts, and there are other hastegas, but you need both. Shout gives you both in one shot, freeing up a slot for an extra high-damage BSB/OSB

The fact that Sayara also pulled two BSB's for strong physical characters is icing on the cake. Now you just need one good medica and you have a full top-tier team.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

rujasu posted:

The fact that Sayara also pulled two BSB's for strong physical characters is icing on the cake. Now you just need one good medica and you have a full top-tier team.
This seems to be an appropriate time to mention that there's going to be a Valentine's Day female character medica banner

I probably won't pull because I have Eiko BSB, but it will probably be great for a lot of people

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Quistis can Wrath and Breakdown :smugdog:

(yes I know that's only viable if you have her BSB)

(for real though Quistis with her BSB kicks all the rear end in any team you want)

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Nihilarian posted:

This seems to be an appropriate time to mention that there's going to be a Valentine's Day female character medica banner

I probably won't pull because I have Eiko BSB, but it will probably be great for a lot of people

I have pretty much every non-BSB medica.

And no BSB medicas (besides Strange Vision, which really is more about boostga/offense than healing).

So that seems like the biggest trap ever for me.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

UHD posted:

So can Cid Raines and Terra

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Pander posted:

I have pretty much every non-BSB medica.

And no BSB medicas (besides Strange Vision, which really is more about boostga/offense than healing).

So that seems like the biggest trap ever for me.

I keep pulling different flavors of medica, but no healer bsb.

I have m blink, p blink, instant, overheal, high regen and haste. I think the only type I'm missing is proshellga and buff/debuff if they exist. I even have Ashe's offensive that does a light party heal.

To be clear, I am not at all unhappy to be totally spoiled for choice of medica :v:

Healer bsb seems like a crazy nice luxury though, so if there's not a ton of dupes I'll definitely jump on a vday healer banner.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
my only medica worth a drat is still miracle prayer, after all this time

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

I've got *five* healing BSBs somehow, good lord.

I dunno if I'd pull on a medica banner at this point, but there's always that part of me that wants a good one in every realm for CMs and stuff, even though I'm still at the point where I can't even do half of them because I don't have enough characters from each realm leveled up yet.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I'm fairly solid on healer BSBs - I don't have Y'shtola or Vanille's, but I've got Eiko, Penelo and Rosa, which is a pretty good spread overall, depending on whether I'm running physical, magical, or need magic blinks. There are a couple realms where it'd be nice to have a native Medica (like VII or II), but otherwise I think I'm safe skipping them for a while.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

ApplesandOranges posted:

I'm fairly solid on healer BSBs - I don't have Y'shtola or Vanille's, but I've got Eiko, Penelo and Rosa, which is a pretty good spread overall, depending on whether I'm running physical, magical, or need magic blinks. There are a couple realms where it'd be nice to have a native Medica (like VII or II), but otherwise I think I'm safe skipping them for a while.

I'm a firm believer in the power of having 2 medica BSBs on my "A" team at this point. Though I happen to have the two you don't and Eiko. It's helped me punch far above my grade for every event so far. DPS wise.

On the other hand though, if I couldn't RW Cid Raines, I probably wouldn't have cleared some of the recent U+ battles. That skill's so broken good.

Philouza
Jul 20, 2005
Whew, I topped Torment X 250. After an attempt with Tidus' and Edge's EnWater BSBs, went mage team with Terra's BSB water command as the only water attack. The mage meta is very real.

I'd love another healer BSB. It seems as if you can clear basically everything if you have 2 top tier BSBs (Raines and Alph for example) and a couple of healing BSBs.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
I'm able to get away with crappy healing output by having pretty good break stacking options

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

rujasu posted:

- Dedicated physical teams are still usually the best option. Mages don't have Lifesiphon or Breakdowns, and hybrid teams are less efficient

This isn't actually true. Hybrid teams are the best way to go usually now. There's an abundance of ATK/MAG boosts now, so by taking a hybrid team you can get the best out of the utility physical attacks have with the raw power of magic attacks.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Dr Pepper posted:

This isn't actually true. Hybrid teams are the best way to go usually now. There's an abundance of ATK/MAG boosts now, so by taking a hybrid team you can get the best out of the utility physical attacks have with the raw power of magic attacks.

Yeah but honing chainaga spells is expensive :eng99:

I have all the parts for a strong caster team and still haven't rolled it out much.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

victrix posted:

Yeah but honing chainaga spells is expensive :eng99:

eh, most of the cost is in black orbs and what else are you gonna use those for?

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Dr Pepper posted:

I think it could sort of be seen as true at face value. For most less than Ultimate Battles, physical teams are probably the most efficient ways to clear content quickest and easiest. You can mindlessly auto-attack trash rounds and simply build up gauges and Shout your way to victory over most bosses. In my experience at least, mage and hybrid teams require a lot more hands on work and attention plus ability honing, though they're definitely worth it as the tougher content generally leans towards mage team meta.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Got Sephiroth BSB. What's people's consensus on it? Someone on reddit did the math on it and you reliably can hit 16 to 18k damage with command 1 using shout and dark bargain.

That's easily hitting weakness damage on torment bosses

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Thundercracker posted:

Got Sephiroth BSB. What's people's consensus on it? Someone on reddit did the math on it and you reliably can hit 16 to 18k damage with command 1 using shout and dark bargain.

It's actually getting better with age due to the DEF numbers on U++ and Torment bosses steadily rising and our access to stacking buffs getting very widespread. He also has a 4x Fire/Non command for when he doesn't need the defense piercing so the BSB is a bit versatile. Sephiroth himself has horrible weapon options (literally only katanas and daggers) and pretty restrictive skill access but he also has one of the highest base ATK stats in the game which helps him hit those numbers for his BSB defense piercing command. He's a prime candidate for Omega Drive as well.

Basically what I'm saying is that Sephiroth BSB is a deceptively good pull and makes him a pretty good Torment Killer.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Thundercracker posted:

It Is A Good Burst Soul Break.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

UHD posted:

(yes I know that's only viable if you have her BSB)

(for real though Quistis with her BSB kicks all the rear end in any team you want)

Sure, if you have a really good mage BSB, go ahead and use it. That said, Lifesiphon deals a reasonable amount of damage, while Wrath does no damage. Wrath is pretty bad in comparison.

Dr Pepper posted:

Again though, Shout is +50 and even the good ATK/MAG boosts such as OK BSB are only +30. So no, I don't agree that hybrid teams are usually better. They're situationally better, but usually worse.

(In other news, I also got the Sephiroth BSB, glad to hear it's still useful.)

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

rujasu posted:

Sure, if you have a really good mage BSB, go ahead and use it. That said, Lifesiphon deals a reasonable amount of damage, while Wrath does no damage. Wrath is pretty bad in comparison.

Only if you compare Lifesiphon to Wrath without any actual context. Mage BSBs deal more damage than physical BSBs, especially since the wrath-mages tend to have excellent BSBs (exception: Terra, but her eventual USB makes up for it).

quote:

Again though, Shout is +50 and even the good ATK/MAG boosts such as OK BSB are only +30. So no, I don't agree that hybrid teams are usually better. They're situationally better, but usually worse.

(In other news, I also got the Sephiroth BSB, glad to hear it's still useful.)

Usually worse is a laugh. Pure physical teams are definitely by far less powerful than pure magic teams or magical/physical hybrids until Cloud USB comes out. A capped physical character is going to deal less DPS than a not-capped mage, and a capped mage is going to do more DPS than multiple physical characters. There are a few exceptions, but we don't even have one of them (Ayame's BSB) in global.

Physical teams' advantage lies in utility, because mages only get raw damage on their abilities. Even in current JP, where bosses have 15,000 resistance and almost a million HP, mages are better than physical if you're not abusing Cloud's USB.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Advance mock-up for the Dungeon Update lucky draw, presuming it's SSB+.

68% for a SSB
24% for a BSB
8% for an OSB

59.5% of an VIII relic
37.8% of a XII relic
2.7% for Jupiter's Staff

Duplicates on the next two events (VIII and XII)
Almasy Revolver (Fujin/Raijin Banner 1)
Quistis's Dress, Red Scorpion, Crescent Wish, Exeter, Sorceress Gown (Fujin/Raijin Banner 2)
Defender, Holy Rod (Vayne Banner 1)
Ashe's Defiance, Yoichi Bow, Chaos Blade, Cloud Staff (Vayne Banner 2).

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

rujasu posted:

Except that due to the way the damage formula works. +30% MAG will be a bigger damage boost then +50% ATK.

Not to mention that with a mixed team you can have stronger stacking buffs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FeralWraith
Dec 17, 2007
Lurking Bastard

Hogama posted:

Advance mock-up for the Dungeon Update lucky draw, presuming it's SSB+.

68% for a SSB
24% for a BSB
8% for an OSB

59.5% of an VIII relic
37.8% of a XII relic
2.7% for Jupiter's Staff

Duplicates on the next two events (VIII and XII)
Almasy Revolver (Fujin/Raijin Banner 1)
Quistis's Dress, Red Scorpion, Crescent Wish, Exeter, Sorceress Gown (Fujin/Raijin Banner 2)
Defender, Holy Rod (Vayne Banner 1)
Ashe's Defiance, Yoichi Bow, Chaos Blade, Cloud Staff (Vayne Banner 2).

Can't wait to pull another. goddamn. Cutting Trigger. Mark my words; MARK THEM!

But seriously, I need to pull, my XII synergy is nonexistant outside Kagenui, and I could desperately use a Not-Rinoa-Or-Zell relic for VIII. Fingers crossed, as always.

• Locked thread