Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Biscuit Joiner
May 18, 2008
I haven't seen him in a few years to ask but the dog masturbation must pay pretty well. As far as I know his only other source of income was from him owning a small, local, single crew roofing company.

In between the Viper and the monster truck he had an enormous street legal truck with a big block motor with a blower on it making a lot of horsepower. He decided to sell the truck and motor separately, the guy buying the motor showed up and wanted to see it run. On the test drive the throttle stuck wide open, he lost control and rolled it a few times breaking his back in the process. I remember seeing him on a roof in a back brace putting on shingles not to long after that. The guy still bought the motor, the truck was totaled.

Long before I knew him he had some ridiculous motorcycle with a turbo on it. Wrecked and totaled it of course. He also used to race figure 8 at the track where he wrecked the Viper. Honestly, I'm surprised he's still alive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

Biscuit Joiner posted:

And here he is crashing his $77,000 Dodge Viper. It was a limited edition of some kind, number 18 of 34 that were made. Since he crashed it on racetrack insurance wouldn't pay to fix it. He couldn't afford to fix it and took a massive loss selling it.

https://youtu.be/SeXstTkxau4

One of the comments on this video:

quote:

But, technically a white car would be lighter than the same car of a different color, seeings how white has less pigment.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Biscuit Joiner posted:

Probably, I also remember him saying that the puppies had to be delivered by c-section.

To tie this in with being bwm, here he is doing around $15,000 worth of damage to his truck while showing off for friends. Hydro locked the engine and fried the electronics. You can the bulldog on the side of the truck.
https://youtu.be/Y5TZYN9l0HI

And here he is crashing his $77,000 Dodge Viper. It was a limited edition of some kind, number 18 of 34 that were made. Since he crashed it on racetrack insurance wouldn't pay to fix it. He couldn't afford to fix it and took a massive loss selling it.

In his defense that monster truck jump was pretty awesome

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Yeah, my parents have three male finished champion show dogs, one of which was shown at Westminster a few years ago (2 Irish, 1 English setter). They have never gotten a stud fee for any of them because none of them *won* Westminster. Getting to that point costs a fortune not only in buying and maintaining the dogs, but also paying for the shows and paying the handler. But yeah, stud fees could bring you money, but you have to spend a shitload and then deal with the idiotic politics in the show dog circuit. For instance, the sporting hunter whatever dogs always lose to the little shithead dogs like pugs and stuff and the big dog breeders HATE the little dog breeders. Also, all breeders talk poo poo about all the other breeders, it's ludicrous.

They even flew to Canada for their newest pup :ughh:

If you think the movie Best in Show is a bit too far, you're wrong, that poo poo is hella accurate and I can't watch it without being annoyed at my parents. Do Never Dog.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
We brought a 8 yo chihuahua/JRT mix home from the animal shelter that cost us a buck fifty and if it weren't for his stupid rear end nearly dying three times, I don't think he costs us more than $20 a month.

Little dogs good with money, permanently soft pupppy belly good with life.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

We brought a 8 yo chihuahua/JRT mix home from the animal shelter that cost us a buck fifty and if it weren't for his stupid rear end nearly dying three times, I don't think he costs us more than $20 a month.

Little dogs good with money, permanently soft pupppy belly good with life.

How much did un-dying him cost though because vet bills are insane

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
My dad adopted a 14-year old Chihuahua for free and then spent 3.5k on cataract surgery for her 6 months later.

She's still kicking at 15 1/2 though.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

ate all the Oreos posted:

Seems like a good audit could do a better job than just making them leave for a week and hoping their fill-in finds suspicious poo poo

I know this is a few pages back, but I would assume no one "fills in" for a VP when they're gone for a week anyway, so this rule seems really dumb.

Some mid level manager doesn't take over as VP for a week, the VP's work just piles up until they get back.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Biscuit Joiner posted:

Probably, I also remember him saying that the puppies had to be delivered by c-section.

To tie this in with being bwm, here he is doing around $15,000 worth of damage to his truck while showing off for friends. Hydro locked the engine and fried the electronics. You can the bulldog on the side of the truck.
https://youtu.be/Y5TZYN9l0HI

that dude is awesome

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Ashcans posted:

Isn't that because purebred bulldogs are completely hosed up? I don't know if you have to do that with functional breeds like collies of alsatians.

Any purebred dog is hosed up. Purebred = inbreeding, dog breeds are made up and purebreeding just means making sure two that have very close phenotypes create offspring, which necessarily means a small genetic pool. Bad with pets, but more to the point BWM because they will have more health problems than a mutt.

But bulldogs or any ones with snub faces have it amongst the worst yeah. The "cute" snorting sounds they're constantly making is them struggling to breathe. That's the sound of future expensive medical procedures.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Feb 10, 2017

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Adopting old dogs is so GWL and so incredibly BWM...

Nail Rat posted:

Any purebred dog is hosed up. Purebred = inbreeding, dog breeds are made up and purebreeding just means making sure two that have very close phenotypes create offspring, which necessarily means a small genetic pool. Bad with pets, but more to the point BWM because they will have more health problems than a mutt.

But bulldogs or any ones with snub faces have it amongst the worst yeah. The "cute" snorting sounds they're constantly making is them struggling to breathe. That's the sound of future expensive medical procedures.

With have a beagle/pug mix and even with a mostly beagle face he's got terrible respiratory issues. The 40% pug DNA is literally suffocating him.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

WampaLord posted:

I know this is a few pages back, but I would assume no one "fills in" for a VP when they're gone for a week anyway, so this rule seems really dumb.

Some mid level manager doesn't take over as VP for a week, the VP's work just piles up until they get back.

I prefer to imagine that they get some poor temp worker who suddenly has to be VP of a multinational bank for a week for $8 an hour

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

WampaLord posted:

Er, no? one of the people directly reporting to them take over for the week, so you have their top senior director or whatever sitting in meetings instead.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Bhodi posted:

Er, no? one of the people directly reporting to them take over for the week, so you have their top senior director or whatever sitting in meetings instead.

oh look at this guy who works at a functional organization woop deee dooo!

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Bhodi posted:

And who does that person's work? Does everyone in the company shift up for a week to cover?

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Executives often don't have that much work that isn't sitting in strategy meetings. It doesn't take much for someone to cover for their real work, and also do some digging.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

They also occasionally regurgitate the numbers provided to them by the person who would be taking their place in that meeting.

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

WampaLord posted:

Actually, at my firm, if one is going to be out, another VP or one of their directors will act as a delegated authority or point of contact until they get back.

Sometimes things can't afford to wait for them to get back from their vacation, so if a quick decision needs to be made, it'll lie in the delegates hands. That's not to say it's going to someone 3 steps down, usually one step at most. And there are a lot of steps.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I'm not used to major organizations, I guess. At my last place, the VP was gone for like a month and we just had to work around it, no one could fill in for him.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

WampaLord posted:

I'm not used to major organizations, I guess. At my last place, the VP was gone for like a month and we just had to work around it, no one could fill in for him.
VP is also a misleading title at a bank, there's some law that indicates that some things have to be done by someone at the VP level so everyone gets the VP title after a few years regardless of their actual position. Whatever tasks a person needs to get done while on vacation will be done by someone they delegate to, it could be someone above or below them.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

VP is also a misleading title at a bank, there's some law that indicates that some things have to be done by someone at the VP level so everyone gets the VP title after a few years regardless of their actual position. Whatever tasks a person needs to get done while on vacation will be done by someone they delegate to, it could be someone above or below them.

Also as a consumer you feel so much better talking to a VP for a loan than "just a dude in a poorly fitting shirt"

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
where's the bird, somebody post the bird

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

BraveUlysses posted:

where's the bird, somebody post the bird

???

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost

Hahahahahahaha look at this chump, he doesn't know about the bird hahahahaha

Edit: aw poo poo. I am in Turkey and imgur is completely blocked, so I didn't see there was an image. Sorry!

Dawncloack fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Feb 10, 2017

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Dawncloack posted:

Hahahahahahaha look at this chump, he doesn't know about the bird hahahahaha

Edit: aw poo poo. I am in Turkey and imgur is completely blocked, so I didn't see there was an image. Sorry!

Is Turkey anti-Big Bird or anti-Bert and Ernie?

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost

spog posted:

Is Turkey anti-Big Bird or anti-Bert and Ernie?

No, it's for the dignity of Turkey and all of its bird-relatives, so it wouldn't allow a website that posts pictures of birds without their written consent.

Serious answer: Wikileaks leaked a bunch of ruling party's internal emails, and since wikileaks is blocked many people uploaded screenshots to imgur. Cue to imgur being blocked.
No, not pictures of birds, Ernie and Bert or whatever is in the picture I can't see no, imgur itself is completely blocked.
gently caress, I have to wait until I am out of the country to read many of the LP's I like these days. Bunch of assholes running things around here.

Sepherothic
Feb 8, 2003

Business Octopus posted:

Go to a school where you can live at home for bachelor's, get straight As and then go to a prestige school for masters/PhD/JD/MD/Horse doctor degree. Best of both worlds.

I did this, don't understand why more people don't take this route.

Community college 2 years > Finished B.S at state school 2 years > Ivy league phd with stipend.

That's my GWM humble brag for the year.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Sepherothic posted:

Community college 2 years > Finished B.S at state school 2 years > Ivy league phd with stipend.

Was grad school free?

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
I got paid to go to grad school, chumps :smug:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

WampaLord posted:

Was grad school free?
In the context I'm familiar with, "with stipend" means they pay your tuition as well as paying you to TA/RA, so not literally free, but my registration fee was $20/semester.

The only BWM part is that on paper you're making a lot more than you actually are, because every informed student only goes if they're getting paid to do so, so the sticker price on tuition can be as high as the University wants to extract money from the idiots. Can cause some trouble at tax time if you aren't aware of it.

(Also, I've heard this is different in the humanities.)

ProSlayer
Aug 11, 2008

Hi friend

Sepherothic posted:

It requires a lot of self motivation and accomplishments to go from state university to Ivy League graduate school. During the admission process for grad school, going to a top tier undergraduate helps, not only be name, but having better opportunities.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

DACK FAYDEN posted:

In the context I'm familiar with, "with stipend" means they pay your tuition as well as paying you to TA/RA, so not literally free, but my registration fee was $20/semester.

No the poster laid how they got their Bachelor's and how they got their PhD but glossed over getting a Master's Degree, which I thought was the middle step.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

WampaLord posted:

No the poster laid how they got their Bachelor's and how they got their PhD but glossed over getting a Master's Degree, which I thought was the middle step.
Many people nowadays transfer from the masters to a PhD program in their second year as I did. Getting a masters and a PhD in the same field is pointless.

Sepherothic
Feb 8, 2003

WampaLord posted:

In the US most PhDs include a masters degree. It's an all-in-one program where you go into it with just a bachelors degree. If you burn out or don't pass your qualifying exam, you leave with a masters degree.

But yes, most decent programs pay your full tuition and provide a modest living stipend.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

WampaLord posted:

Not always correct. Many fields (especially the hard sciences) there is a branch point and you decide to do graduate school level study and work (masters) or advanced academic work culminating in original research (doctorate). Occasionally people will flame out of the later and end up with the former. Doctorates in chemistry, for instance, don't often pursue a masters before they seek their doctorates (if they plan to do so).

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I learned something today! Thanks goons.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The headlights should have been Big Bird's eyes. 2/10.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

WampaLord posted:

I wasn't in finance, but that's not what happened when I was a VP and took a vacation. Someone met with my reports, sat in the exec committee meetings, made decisions, approved contracts (though they couldn't sign). It's a useful professional development exercise for your deputy.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Not always correct. Many fields (especially the hard sciences) there is a branch point and you decide to do graduate school level study and work (masters) or advanced academic work culminating in original research (doctorate). Occasionally people will flame out of the later and end up with the former. Doctorates in chemistry, for instance, don't often pursue a masters before they seek their doctorates (if they plan to do so).

Yup. In my chemistry program, there were only a couple of students that set out to get a Masters. The majority got a Masters after burning out while going for a PhD. Those of us with the PhD didn't get a masters.

Edit: to clarify, the students getting only the masters did not move on to also get a PhD. It was like an either/or thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Also banks do weird things like have titles go from VP to Managing Director instead of Director to VP like good, normal companies do.

• Locked thread