Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Xenomrph posted:

You left out Arnold Schwarzenegger

Who? :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
The guy from Celebrity Apprentice

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Oh yeah duh the guy that was Scorpion King.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Last night I dreamt I was part of a flotilla in an expedition to search the cavernous frozen interior of a weird comet. Our lights illuminated the blue-white depths of ice veined with cyanide and other strange substances. As the comet fell towards the star, the ice began to sublimate, releasing the black goo imprisoned within. A cloud of tenuous vaporized mutagen filled the cometary interior, coating our machinery and suits. Madness and paranoia ensued. Soon our shipboard pets and pests became infected. It began with a cat who gave birth to a litter of squirming polyps that entered the eyes. Worse followed. Pulsating intestinal serpents and soft whirling flesh-anemones drifted in the failed gravity of charnel ships. We sealed the comet shut from within and prayed nothing would escape. Our commander tried to self-destruct his ship and we had to go aboard and abort lest he crack the comet open. He was already beyond any help except the incinerator. Welp cya

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I had a dream last night that I was flying. I wish my dreams were a little more involved, but flying is pretty sweet so I'm ok with it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

When I was a kid I dreamt I went down stairs and found my very own pet Alien Queen. It was wonderful.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

All my life my only recurring nightmares revolve around aliens, even to this day. I'm very spooped by these penis monsters.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

All my life my only recurring nightmares revolve around aliens, even to this day. I'm very spooped by these penis monsters.

It's funny you write that because I'm exactly the same. I think it's because I first watched Alien when I was about 11, on my own, late at night whilst my gran was asleep. It was loving terrifying (and partly in a way I didn't consciously understand at that age) but I couldn't stop watching.

So every few months, ominous nightmare when eventually one (or loads) of the fuckers shows up.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

wrong thread

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
I had a dream where my balls egg-morphed into facehuggers and ate my penis.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

yeah

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Baronjutter posted:

I have a weird glitch with lucid dreaming. I can have a nightmare about xenomorphs pretty much anytime I want, and wake up before it gets too bad. It's the closest thing I have to a recurring dream, and they've all been different. Naturally, I can't do any other kind of directed dreaming.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Lmao I win because I've never had any bad dreams about Xenomorphs. If they show up, it always a fun time.

Even if it's legit scary it's awesome.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I've only had a handful of Alien-related dreams, and it's always been me watching one of the Alien movies and the movie plays out but it's distinctly different than the original movie. It's kind of hard to explain, it's as if I'm watching a remake or entirely alternate version of the movie, but not in an immediately, profoundly lovely way like you'd expect? Like, some of the events of the movies play out a bit differently, some of the production design is a little bit different, but it's still really clear what movie I'm "watching".

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Xenomrph posted:

I've only had a handful of Alien-related dreams, and it's always been me watching one of the Alien movies and the movie plays out but it's distinctly different than the original movie. It's kind of hard to explain, it's as if I'm watching a remake or entirely alternate version of the movie, but not in an immediately, profoundly lovely way like you'd expect? Like, some of the events of the movies play out a bit differently, some of the production design is a little bit different, but it's still really clear what movie I'm "watching".

Those aren't dreams. Those are shared memories of another you in a mirror dimension.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

I watched Alien/Aliens nearly each weekend as a kid. Had one dream where I was at a Summer camp in the woods. I was walking back to camp when I heard screams and then saw people running around. Suddenly I saw a facehugger roll by like it was a tumbleweed.
I took off running through the trees and then got to a clearing. In the middle of the clearing was a small crater and a huge chunk of ice that was steaming. Frozen inside of it was the mother alien and that's when I woke up. I thought it was a pretty cool dream.

Not long later my family went for a drive in the mountains, which was a typical weekend activity. We hadn't been up in this spot before, but it started to make me feel strange and suddenly I remembered my dream. I told my sister about it as we kept riding along. Suddenly there was a small clearing and a large white-ish boulder was in the middle of it and it kind of freaked me out. Kid me figured the 3rd Alien movie would be something similar with the queen being found out in space and being brought to Earth.

I also had a dream about Newt once but I don't remember the details. It was around the time Alien 3 came out but hadn't seen it and I heard she died. In the dream her legs were broken or something and there was a lot of wreckage. That's all I recall.

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars

AzureSkys posted:

I also had a dream about Newt

I can't for the life of me remember if this was something I imagined or something in one of the cuts of Alien 3 but I distinctly remember the film showing Newt's corpse in her pod and it looked like she died in agony because holy hell.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

SirDrone posted:

I can't for the life of me remember if this was something I imagined or something in one of the cuts of Alien 3 but I distinctly remember the film showing Newt's corpse in her pod and it looked like she died in agony because holy hell.

You're thinking of the Assembly Cut, if I'm remembering right. I don't have my blurays handy to check - I'm in the process of packing and moving, so all my movies are in a box right now.

Not having the Alien and Predator movies at my immediate disposal is giving me the shakes. :negative:

Realtalk I found this image on a google search, it's not very high quality but I'm pretty sure this is what you're remembering:

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

Those aren't dreams. Those are shared memories of another you in a mirror dimension.
I've been kicking around writing a screenplay that's basically this premise - lucid dreaming as a means of communicating with parallel dimensions.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
I'd read it.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Pretty bad, but the model from the dropped newt autopsy shots is disturbingly good.

thotsky fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Feb 11, 2017

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I mean, that's just straight up Lovecraft's take on dreams.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Bugblatter posted:

I mean, that's just straight up Lovecraft's take on dreams.
Wait really? I've read some Lovecraft, but somehow I never made that connection.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

CelticPredator posted:

Even if it's legit scary it's awesome.

Well yeah, of course.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

Wait really? I've read some Lovecraft, but somehow I never made that connection.

It's prevalent to the point where it's one of the things I'd say is Lovecraftian when I see it in fiction, beings communicating with us and travelling via methods we can't really understand. But realistically it's less a codified thing unique to Lovecraft and more just how pulp fantasy/sci-fi stuff worked in the 20s and 30s. We didn't really have satellites, space shuttles, or anything like that at the time and we also did have genre fiction so strongly divided between fantasy and science fiction, so you got a mix of elements you'd today only associate with one or the other. Like John Carter doesn't travel through time to Mars or get on a space ship, he takes a nap in a cave and wakes up on Mars during its ancient past. In Robert E. Howard's Conan stories several of the gods people worship are literally travelers from other solar systems you can hang out with and speak to.

I think you could say it maybe grew out of hobbyist spiritualism where people would like hold a seance and relive past moments and stuff, "past lives" fiction and comics were a huge thing of the time too (even occupying super mainstream spaces like Nell Brinkley's comics or the classic film Destiny) and even the earliest Conan story isn't about Conan but rather a guy dreaming that he is Conan and experiencing his exploits for real from the present. A lot of that came to an end though after the Holocaust and the atomic bombs were dropped, a deified massive King Kong is our giant monster before, after you get Godzilla and a ton of other radiation and science did this to us monsters after. It took a couple of decades before we had a lot of dreamlike fantastical flicks coming out the US again like the Exorcist and all the other paranormal stuff when that was a crazy. You also even in the forties had people that, as an escape or denial that someone could cause so many horrible things, genuinely believed Hitler was possessed by the devil, and this blossomed into the entire "Weird War II" type of fiction like Raiders of the Lost Ark of Nazis being obsessed with the occult and other stuff that wasn't real. I feel like after this point, and it's not like a strict timeline like a switch if flipped or whatever, but I feel like after this point in general you start to see more of a clear split between "fantasy" and "science fiction." But you of course still have plenty of fiction that has "elements" of both like Dune.

I don't want to spoil the film Arrival too much but part of why I love it so much is that it goes in the opposite direction of "hard sci-fi" or whatever, because to me it's by only completely ignoring that as a concept that you can get monsters/characters/lifestyles/whatever that are truly alien.

For a more recent cool example, I feel stupid for forgetting the name but there's a great episode of Next Generation where Riker is like, constantly tired and can't figure out why, like he clearly is going to sleep at a regular time, sleeps, but wakes up super late/is exhausted. After a lot of investigating they realize his arm has been amputated and replaced. Eventually they find out that this race of snake men is abducting people through their dreams into their own dimension and experimenting on them and the episode has no resolution beyond "Whelp, these guys can pretty much do that whenever they want and we don't even know who they are or how to contact them in any way....that....kinda sucks." I mean it's in tons of stuff from Twin Peaks to whatever. Dreams being a conduit to communicate with other worlds are literally a part of ancient history and culture.

I don't mean that to say you shouldn't write your screenplay because I love that stuff! :D Just saying it's definitely something I'd think would be hard to miss.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Feb 11, 2017

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Xenomrph posted:

It's not perfect, nor original to Lovecraft. However, it is interesting:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dream_Cycle

https://www.yog-sothoth.com/wiki/index.php/Dreamlands

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Xenomrph posted:

you gotta play bloodborne dawg. it's the GOAT.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Neo Rasa posted:

For a more recent cool example, I feel stupid for forgetting the name but there's a great episode of Next Generation where ...
Schisms, S6E5 (a favorite of mine)

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Neo Rasa posted:

For a more recent cool example, I feel stupid for forgetting the name but there's a great episode of Next Generation where Riker is like, constantly tired and can't figure out why, like he clearly is going to sleep at a regular time, sleeps, but wakes up super late/is exhausted. After a lot of investigating they realize his arm has been amputated and replaced. Eventually they find out that this race of snake men is abducting people through their dreams into their own dimension and experimenting on them and the episode has no resolution beyond "Whelp, these guys can pretty much do that whenever they want and we don't even know who they are or how to contact them in any way....that....kinda sucks."
They actually follow up on this in Star Trek Online and show those dudes as being servants of the Iconians (ancient race stuff) for reasons. Consequently, part of what made that episode so good was that they were truly Alien and Picard/Data couldn't negotiate, invert the neutrinic field, or pew pew past them. A good take on the early 90s abduction craze.

Voyager went on to do a shittier take on it where the villains are cloaked science aliens because everything VOY touched had to be aggressively mediocre.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

There are certain cliches that I understand recurring in sci-fi series like "the time travel episode" and "the evil version episode" and stuff like that but it really was mindblowing how many Voyager episodes were just so much more pointedly "we took this Next Generation episode and made it ten times worse." I liked a lot of the characters on that show but the overall story and so many of the episodes were so lovely. Then they did the opposite with Enterprise which had an awesome setting and premise but an impressive number of easy to despise and irritating characters. Like a few episodes in I was almost missing Neelix.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
As a kid I was sick at home eating some kind of soup and I watched the Voyager episode where an invisible force chases Janeway and her crew of lower-decks fuckups through an asteroid field. Then a worm crawls around under one of the fuckups' skin. Now whenever I think of that soup I think of worms crawling beneath human skin. Thanks, Voyager.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Captain Janeway's Morgellon's.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Neo Rasa posted:

For a more recent cool example, I feel stupid for forgetting the name but there's a great episode of Next Generation where Riker is like, constantly tired and can't figure out why, like he clearly is going to sleep at a regular time, sleeps, but wakes up super late/is exhausted. After a lot of investigating they realize his arm has been amputated and replaced. Eventually they find out that this race of snake men is abducting people through their dreams into their own dimension and experimenting on them and the episode has no resolution beyond "Whelp, these guys can pretty much do that whenever they want and we don't even know who they are or how to contact them in any way....that....kinda sucks." I mean it's in tons of stuff from Twin Peaks to whatever. Dreams being a conduit to communicate with other worlds are literally a part of ancient history and culture.

Others have already followed up on this, but there's a later-season episode of TNG, S7E06 "Phantasms," which deals with dreams in a manner that's actually more similar to Lovecraft's ideas than "Schisms." In S6, Data discovers a "dream" program in his brain and turns it on; in "Phantasms" it makes a connection with aliens in another plane of existence and creates all sorts of weird images like these:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

even seeing images of TNG makes me want to sleep.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Xenomrph posted:

I've been kicking around writing a screenplay that's basically this premise - lucid dreaming as a means of communicating with parallel dimensions.

Didn't you write a Jurassic Park premise? I remember being really impressed by someone's idea for a sequel here or on reddit.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Xenomrph posted:

Yeah there's a story where an alien takes the consciousness of a man and swaps bodies so the alien can learn all of humanity's knowledge. They let the man read any of the alien knowledge while he's in the alien's body but then....The transfer of his consciousness back into his body makes him insane, as Lovecraft is wont to write.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

even seeing images of TNG makes me want to sleep.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b52b4yORX6U

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

willie_dee posted:

Didn't you write a Jurassic Park premise? I remember being really impressed by someone's idea for a sequel here or on reddit.
I had sketched out a Jurassic Park sequel like 5 years ago about a company salvaging the ruins of the original park and making a functioning Jurassic Park and the new park is a massive success, until it gets sabotaged by a PETA-equivalent and the dinosaurs run amok and eat people. I posted it on a bunch of Jurassic Park forums back then and people shat on it, saying "no one would EVER make a new park, I mean COME ON".

And then Jurassic World happened and I felt pretty smug.

The other screenplay idea I've had is a sci fi story about a new time travel craze where people try and go back in time and "photobomb" famous historical photos without getting caught having done it.

Funnily enough I've never had an idea for an Alien or Predator screenplay that I felt was worth trying to develop.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Feb 12, 2017

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

All this dream sci-fi horror talk reminds me...if anyone here was part of the Exorcist fan community, there was a person that earned massive hate for his absolutely bizarre script treatment for an Exorcist sequel called The Exorcist: Synchronized. If you posted on CaptainHowdy or C.H.U.D. at the time it was legendary. Anyway like with The Zybourne Clock on SomethingAwful, a few people had made some dorky photoshopped images of scenes from previous Exorcist films and other art based on this script as a joke, but the person loved them and made them part of his website where he details the plot and stuff. It was crazy. Anyway this guy, Dave IIRC, had a Wiseau-esque flair for not understanding how anything works but being super passionate about it. But either way they were OBSESSED with the synchronizer dream machine thing in Exorcist II: The Heretic and the plot revolves around using it a lot and he would regularly try to contact Linda Blair and other people who would have like no real ability to make a new Exorcist movie happen.

Enjoy! Know that thanks to its counter we are aware that in its entire life on the web only 8,799 people had read this script.

http://web.archive.org/web/20050313030221/http://www.freewebs.com/exorcist-synchronized/

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Xenomrph posted:

Funnily enough I've never had an idea for an Alien or Predator screenplay that I felt was worth trying to develop.

I'm gonna take a chance and post a quickly written short I did for an Alien movie.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xn2n91rhrauxuf7/Alien%20Awakening.pdf?dl=0

It ain't really anything. But I wanted to try writing a sort of test short, mostly as a thing to throw into a drawer to, maybe, pull out someday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Xenomrph posted:

I had sketched out a Jurassic Park sequel like 5 years ago about a company salvaging the ruins of the original park and making a functioning Jurassic Park and the new park is a massive success, until it gets sabotaged by a PETA-equivalent and the dinosaurs run amok and eat people. I posted it on a bunch of Jurassic Park forums back then and people shat on it, saying "no one would EVER make a new park, I mean COME ON".

this is such a better premise than jurassic world that i'm angry now. this makes about a billion times more sense.