Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I think one of the bosses was changed in the 3DS version. Did Marcello have Thwack in the PS2 game? That fucker got three party members each time he cast it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephrite
Aug 18, 2006
Lipstick Apathy
You are not crazy, they did not have that in the original.

I think a few of the bosses were modified, actually.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Nephrite posted:

You are not crazy, they did not have that in the original.

I think a few of the bosses were modified, actually.

I noticed this very quickly when looking at the old Gamefaqs entries for the game. Like it mentions Sir Leopard being a easy boss, but he was a huge bastard for me and the only boss to cause a party wipe.

Also I am done with Dragon Quest 8 :toot:. Might take a break before either resuming Dragon Quest VII (second tablet) or going back to Dragon Quest IV DS (second chapter).

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
So here's a thing, the first of the downloadable bonus items are up, but there's some kind of goofy glitch going on where you can't download it unless you go into your 3DS settings and delete DQVIII Extra Data first. The only thing this messes is your photo album but it's still weird.

I should note the current bonus item is a candy cane, a 1 damage Scythe weapon.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

YggiDee posted:

So here's a thing, the first of the downloadable bonus items are up, but there's some kind of goofy glitch going on where you can't download it unless you go into your 3DS settings and delete DQVIII Extra Data first. The only thing this messes is your photo album but it's still weird.

This sounds pretty gimmicky, but it's actually a fantastic early game metal slime weapon.

Also I should mention that you should keep some Orichalcum handy for the dlc because one of the dlc items + orichalcum + liquid metal sword gets you Erdrick's Sword. (!!)

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

YggiDee posted:

I should note the current bonus item is a candy cane

ROFL Octopus posted:

This sounds pretty gimmicky sweet, but it's actually a fantastic early game metal slime weapon holiday treat.

Fixed those for you.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

YggiDee posted:

I didn't have to delete any data to get the Candy Cane.

The Candy Cane is presumably a good weapon for Yangus to steal with since you can keep doing it forever. But stealing sucks rear end so why bother, and Red gets it passively.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Good news homebrew savvy 3DS owners who are also Dragon Quest fans! Pretty soon you will be able to play the DQ game that was most recently released in Japan, in English! I don't have an exact date, but at the rate progress is going, I would expect it to be ready within the period of time that exists between several weeks and a couple of months. Right now, work is being done to port the translation that was done on the vanilla version of the game over to the newly released updated version, which then has a little bit more work to be done. Patches for both versions of the game in question will be released to accommodate anyone who might have purchased the old one.

So, if you have finished with VII and VIII but haven't figured out the whole homebrew thing yet, now is the the time to do so to be ready for more DQ related fun in the near future.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I can't tell which game you're talking about.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dragon Quest Joker I assume, I don't know why they're dancing around naming it.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Well, we haven't made an official unofficial translation patch reveal announcement yet. Shouldn't be too hard to figure out which game I mean, though.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

But in Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 3 Professional, you can ride Psaro, so I refuse to play a lesser version.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Where's the piano in Castle Trodain?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Unmature posted:

Where's the piano in Castle Trodain?

It's on the third floor in the princess' room.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Rirse posted:

It's on the third floor in the princess' room.

Got it, thanks!

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

John Lee posted:

But in Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 3 Professional, you can ride Psaro, so I refuse to play a lesser version.

I named it "Estyke"

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
After beating DQ8, I want to do the previous games in order. I previously beat Dragon Quest 1 (GBC), Dragon Quest IV (NES), and Dragon Quest VII (PS1) when those releases were put out, but probably want to start from the beginning and work my way back to the DQ7 remake on the 3DS. With my Everdrive I can play the remakes of 1 - 3 on the SNES while playing 4 - 6 on the DS.

That said, dunno if I want to go back to DQ9. It neat, but it didn't grip me as much as the other games in the series.

Any suggested tips for DQ 1&2 since I will be on those first (SNES version)?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I recommend the mobile versions for 1-3 if possible, for the new translations and for the QoL features added to 2.

With 1, everything is a level+gear check. I think the minimum level at which you can beat the final boss is as low as 17 with enough luck (don't try this your first time).

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Bongo Bill posted:

I recommend the mobile versions for 1-3 if possible, for the new translations and for the QoL features added to 2.

With 1, everything is a level+gear check. I think the minimum level at which you can beat the final boss is as low as 17 with enough luck (don't try this your first time).

It actually takes longer to speedrun 1 than it does 2 or 3 for original NES versions because of how it is a level check. The super famicom version of 1+2 isn't that bad though, you level extremely fast. Any version of 3 is amazing, as 3 is the best DQ game.

Blaine the Train
Aug 18, 2006
Choo choo, pardner.

BabyRyoga posted:

I named it "Estyke"

God, please throw us a bone on this one, S-E, I NEED to ride around on Rebjorn. It's all that matters to me in life. :(

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Blaine the Train posted:

God, please throw us a bone on this one, S-E, I NEED to ride around on Rebjorn. It's all that matters to me in life. :(

read all the posts on this page :chef:

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Is there a good place to get Dragon Quest V and VI used for the 3DS? I tried to ordered DQ5 from ebay with the person claiming it had the box, but all I got was the cart so I returned it and got my money back. Meanwhile the only place I can find DQ6 for cheap is Gamestop, but their website hates me and refuses to let me checkout with my credit card or Paypal due to the address not matching what on file. Tried asking in SA Mart, but got no replies.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Youre gonna be hard pressed finding a boxed version I think. Used copies are abundant but all the DS games I've found used were cart only.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

In Training posted:

Youre gonna be hard pressed finding a boxed version I think. Used copies are abundant but all the DS games I've found used were cart only.

Yeah that's what I am figuring. I returned the ebay one since it just flat lied, and honestly wary about getting just a cart only release from there due to how easy it could be a pirated copy.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.
Alright, I'm lost. Where the heck am I supposed to head to continue the plot in DQ8 once I get the ability to fly?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

ZZT the Fifth posted:

Alright, I'm lost. Where the heck am I supposed to head to continue the plot in DQ8 once I get the ability to fly?

You need to visit the Monster Town in the Jungle, it over on the east contintent near Pickham I believe. I went there since it was where I could buy pieces for a alchemy recipe I wanted to make, and it turns out to be where the plot is at.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Rirse posted:

Is there a good place to get Dragon Quest V and VI used for the 3DS? I tried to ordered DQ5 from ebay with the person claiming it had the box, but all I got was the cart so I returned it and got my money back. Meanwhile the only place I can find DQ6 for cheap is Gamestop, but their website hates me and refuses to let me checkout with my credit card or Paypal due to the address not matching what on file. Tried asking in SA Mart, but got no replies.

V is new on Amazon for $25. VI is.... expensive....

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

elf help book posted:

V is new on Amazon for $25. VI is.... expensive....

That what I mean. I can find V for 25 or less, yet VI is 25 on Gamestop's website, but their anti fraud dector won't let me purchase online.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I know it's not a great answer either but square occasionally does new printings of their older games, I've seen new runs of DQ games on their store during some seasonal sales. So that may happen again in the lead up to XI's release

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Rirse posted:

Yeah that's what I am figuring. I returned the ebay one since it just flat lied, and honestly wary about getting just a cart only release from there due to how easy it could be a pirated copy.

eBay is your best bet, still. You learn to spot which copies are legit and which aren't, but even if you get scammed you can always get your money back almost instantly. Also check Amazon sellers, maybe. I was lucky to find sealed copies of 4 and 6 there.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

In Training posted:

I know it's not a great answer either but square occasionally does new printings of their older games, I've seen new runs of DQ games on their store during some seasonal sales. So that may happen again in the lead up to XI's release

Yeah I got a copy of V about 2 years ago for $20 new because of this

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

DS versions strictly necessary?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Erg posted:

Yeah I got a copy of V about 2 years ago for $20 new because of this

I snagged TWEWY new for like 15 last year which was an awesome deal. Had never played it before either

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Generally. I have a Everdrive and a SNES so I could just play the translation, but kinda rather get the actual copy. No interest in the ios version, as I almost never play games any of the games I have on either the phone or ipad.

I tried to look for VI on ebay, but keep running into listing for the Japanese one, which is super annoying.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

You could go to the Android games thread. They've had no problem talking about emulation and :files: in the past.

At least I assume that's why there were a lot of posts going "I've never had a DS before what games should I get?" And the answers being "oh these games (game names here)

Edit: nevermind you're looking for a physical copy for collection purposes

Double edit: you could try just going to a GameStop and asking. I got a copy of Devil Summoner Raidou vs Soulless Army from Virginia when I just went in and asked "hey can you guys get it from a GameStop out of state?"

They made a call and a few days and $15 later I had a copy of it. That was back before the reprints when a used copy was $60+ on eBay.

Len fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Feb 17, 2017

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Len posted:

You could go to the Android games thread. They've had no problem talking about emulation and :files: in the past.

At least I assume that's why there were a lot of posts going "I've never had a DS before what games should I get?" And the answers being "oh these games (game names here)

Double edit: you could try just going to a GameStop and asking. I got a copy of Devil Summoner Raidou vs Soulless Army from Virginia when I just went in and asked "hey can you guys get it from a GameStop out of state?"

They made a call and a few days and $15 later I had a copy of it. That was back before the reprints when a used copy was $60+ on eBay.

That probably what I can do. They have a option to order instore from their website, but worry if what preventing me from ordering online will cancel the order out from under me.

The closest gamestop with a used copy is 13 miles away, but it's in the bad side of town so I rather not go there.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Len posted:

Not a DQ game, but I got my copy of Wizardry for PS2 basically the same way, from GameStop, for $5 when used copies on eBay were $55+

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Bongo Bill posted:

DS versions strictly necessary?

At the very least I know that the mobile version of IV adds party chat, which is huge. I dunno how good the other mobile ports are.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

ROFL Octopus posted:

At the very least I know that the mobile version of IV adds party chat, which is huge. I dunno how good the other mobile ports are.

Mobile versions of 5 and 6 are identical to the DS versions. 1 and 2 on mobile are the best versions available, mobile 3 is basically the same as SNES version except it has an excellent new translation but the enemies aren't animated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

JustJeff88 posted:

Not a DQ game, but I got my copy of Wizardry for PS2 basically the same way, from GameStop, for $5 when used copies on eBay were $55+

It's funny that people don't think to do that because GAMESTOP EVIL!!!1 the store I ordered DS1 at even had an employee there going "I want that so bad but I don't want to pay ebay prices for it"