Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wicka
Jun 28, 2007

I'm seriously thinking about Indy but it's like two weeks after my sister graduates from college and I don't know that I want to spend that much of May in Indiana.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

I'll be at Indy this year.

Probably drive past my old high school. Wonder when I started getting old. :smith:

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

Cygni posted:

I got my Long Beach tix ordered a few weeks ago, and im thinking long and hard (much like a boner) about Indy or Phoenix tix as well

Amateur! Everyone knows you're supposed to wait until the two weeks before Long Beach to get deeply discounted tickets. Last year I got a 3-day reserved seat near pit-in for $20 less than I would have spent on a 3-day GA.

Can we have an actual at Long Beach this year? I know there are more of you within distance than just Cygni.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

I should really hit Long Beach again. I should.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan

Bentai posted:

I should really hit Long Beach again. I should.

Long Beach was such a great time, I'd love to go back if it wasn't so drat expensive...

This year I plan on trying to add more comedy questions into my interviews. So if anyone has any good comedy questions that I can ask people (that won't get my rear end kicked), post them here and I might just ask your question! I plan on interviewing people by asking 3 questions: 2 serious, 1 comedy

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

2017 Indycar Series: Our 500 is still 500 miles :smuggo:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Doubleposting Breaking my post into heats.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWogdWo1ipA

Fond memories of watching this race in person :3:

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

IOwnCalculus posted:

2017 Indycar Series: Our 500 is still 500 miles :smuggo:

The Indianapolis 500 In-A-Row

IOwnCalculus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWogdWo1ipA

Fond memories of watching this race in person :3:

Villneff

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

WindyMan posted:

The Indianapolis 500 In-A-Row

Villneff

Jack Vilneff. That's how we do it.

I did not properly appreciate the sound of these 2.65L cars when I was 10. Goddamn.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Yeah that's the Indycar engine note I remember, fairly sure I started watching the series right around the 92-94 era. Also I'd forgotten how much PIR has changed since those days.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Bentai posted:

Yeah that's the Indycar engine note I remember, fairly sure I started watching the series right around the 92-94 era. Also I'd forgotten how much PIR has changed since those days.

Paul Page talking up Emmo, Unser Jr., Luyendyk Michael Andretti, Team Penske, etc. That was kinda in the background of me playing with hot wheels cars while my dad watched.

It's pretty sad that I can now pick out the particular brand of engines that were featured in "Nicktoons" I liked growing up. Example? Rugrats for some reason used a Buick Menard engine as a sound effect.

Also Bill Burr is a racing fan apparently, and IndyCar/NBC really should be taking advantage of that.

https://twitter.com/marshallpruett/status/829770963247996929

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

They need to pair up Paul Tracy and Bill Burr. That could be a fun booth.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I had forgotten about Michael's tire flying out of the track. :stonk:

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

thanks for the reminder that michael andretti was a garbageman

at least he was better than marco i guess

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Michael was probably one of the best drivers in series history.

That was an extremely stupid move, though.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

financially racist posted:

thanks for the reminder that michael andretti was a garbageman

at least he was better than marco i guess

Michael was good and awesome.

Just had a lot of bad breaks.

Could have won Indy in 1991, 1992, 2001, 2006...he always seemed to know how run up front at that place, but could never find a way to seal the deal. IIRC, he also was constantly in a fight to win the PPG Cup during his time as well. Almost won it in 1986, 1987, 1990, 1992, 1996....I want to say in the late 90's, early 2000's he was also still challenging for the title, but again, couldn't seal the deal.

I mean the guy has 42 wins to this credit. He's been able to win championships, 500s as an owner, and has been very incredible in that role.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Alain Post posted:

That was an extremely stupid move, though.

Yep and yep.

Having watched the rest of that '94 Phoenix race (back when Indycar didn't get shoved three networks down when they ran out of their timeslot), I think the lack of speed differential is a big part of why last year's Phoenix race was a processional, while they used to go three wide. I still think the re-profiling has a lot to do with it, but the gap from first to last in terms of speed is just not that big. In 1994, Tracy caught Jeff Andretti in just five laps. It took Helio ~18 laps to catch Hinch last year.

It also blows my mind a bit that Mario retired from competition in 1994, and yet he's still running the two-seater as hard as they'll let him today.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

The one that amazes me about the PPG Era of the series was the amount of :911: talent they were able to have during that time period.

Guys like Bobby Rahal, Al Unser Jr., Michael Andretti, Rick Mears, and Danny Sulllivan just seemed to be used in a manner that was really friendly to fans and advertisers alike.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Alain Post posted:

He was.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Micheal Andretti is like Dan Marino in the NFL. Very successful as an individual, couldn't bring it home as a team with Indy 500 wins or championships.

Although I would argue that if Marino had won the Indy 500 that would be a hell of an accomplishment.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

wasn't there an ex-nfl player who raced in asa or some poo poo

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

financially racist posted:

wasn't there an ex-nfl player who raced in asa or some poo poo

Jerry Glanville was a coach and raced

http://www.racing-reference.info/driver/Jerry_Glanville

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

nah man he was a player built like a brick shithouse and he flipped his car and had trouble getting out cause he was fuckin enormous

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

all i got is this like 15 year old memory to go on and maybe i just dreamed it up or some poo poo

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

Random quote from Smokey Yunick about Jim Rathmann,

"And I never liked men who read comic books while they were getting a blow job."

Smokey is quite quotable.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
Reminder that there is testing at Phoenix going on this weekend. Test sessions both days run from 3-6 and 8-11 p.m. ET. Saturday is free to the public, with gates opening at 2 p.m. ET and with an all-driver autograph session taking place between practices. Live video streaming (without commentary) of all practice sessions will be available at http://racecontrol.indycar.com

Also introducing the #1 car of Simon Pagenaud

And the new sponsor of Scott Dixon, the color white.

KingShibby fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Feb 10, 2017

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
I say repeatedly that Michael's 1996 season was the best of his career.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

KingShibby posted:

And the new sponsor of Scott Dixon, the color white.

Those rear wing vents :swoon:

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Looks like the test will have timing AND video (?!)

good second monitor material for a friday work day imo

http://racecontrol.indycar.com/

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

Cygni posted:

Looks like the test will have timing AND video (?!)

Timing and video, but no commentary

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

FuzzySkinner posted:

The one that amazes me about the PPG Era of the series was the amount of :911: talent they were able to have during that time period.

If NASCAR continues to poo poo the bed for the next few years, Indycar could be heading back towards those days?

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Roller Coast Guard posted:

If NASCAR continues to poo poo the bed for the next few years, Indycar could be heading back towards those days?

Yes and no.

They're doing quite a bit without a lot of resources on hand in terms of promotion. But they're kinda dwarfed by what Daytona Beach has in a lot of ways. They gotta figure out a way to make the Indy 500 a national event again. They're successfully revived it as a local one, but the next step would be getting to that level.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Roller Coast Guard posted:

no

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Conor Daly just had an engine blow up in practice. Ya'll wanna meet in IRC to watch this together?

Yeah..Daytona/Charlotte is a behemoth.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

We got shibby live form practice in the chat.

come join us guys

https://client00.chat.mibbit.com/#ICS@irc.synirc.net

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

DCR 1-2 :getin:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

FuzzySkinner posted:

We got shibby live form practice in the chat.

come join us guys

https://client00.chat.mibbit.com/#ICS@irc.synirc.net

That's a pro-rear end avatar

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
Josef Newgarden fastest in P1 at 190.129mph :patriot:
Marco Andretti fastest No-Tow Lap at 187.305mph :patriot:

Also Dixon sporting his KKK attire

KingShibby fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Feb 11, 2017

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

harperdc posted:

That's a pro-rear end avatar

Dr. Jack Miller is a legend, but in a very different way. He's part of that old lore of IndyCar of some random guy that had no business mixing it up with the big boys at IMS, yet he's there and makes the field at the biggest race in the world.

People associate him with "bad racers" and the IRL being horrible, but drat..If anyone here wouldn't want to have been in his shoes for those couple of seasons.

He was also insanely nice to me at Legends Day, so I though I';d honor him. My posting skills are only matched by his racing skills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
Mikhail Aleshin pretty much just blamed Obama for the hold up in his SMP Racing offseason sponsorship issues

• Locked thread