Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I give Sam some leeway because, while he lied about alcazar, he DID spend his jail time obsessing about Avery.

It doesn't excuse his actions here, but after spending a ton of time cut off from loved ones and trustworthy companions it also doesn't surprise me he's this bad at being a friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amidiri
Apr 26, 2010
Sam was in prison for fifteen years while his two conspirators moved on with their lives. I mean, he also heard about all of Nate's adventures - adventures that he himself had wanted since he was like, 18 - and now Nate wants out of this ONE ADVENTURE. The adventure that Sam did fifteen years of jail time for. I'm honestly surprised he's not a shittier person than he is.

Like, we as viewers understand Nathan's position and find it more sympathetic, but from Sam's perspective it's like. He can't NOT get this treasure. If he gives up on it he was locked up for a decade and a half for no reason.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
Sam trying to convince Nate to continue searching for the treasure really reminded me of dealing with my own older brother (who was addicted to narcotics) a few years ago. It hit really close to home for me and also made me detest Sam quite a bit. He knows that he has a lot of influence on Nate, and he's not hesitant to selfishly capitalize on it. I understand that he's been cooped up for over a decade, but drat it's still hard for me to personally sympathize with him.

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
I will be very surprised if Sam dies. Doesn't seem in line with the tone of the Uncharted series. Sully was tripping death flags all over the place last time and he made it out.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Buzzsaw Roomba posted:

I will be very surprised if Sam dies. Doesn't seem in line with the tone of the Uncharted series. Sully was tripping death flags all over the place last time and he made it out.

That said, this game is pulling more from The Last Of Us narrative style than it is from the original 3 games. They would absolutely kill of Sam if they want him to pay for his hubris.

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Press X to jump, then press X again!
Toilet Rascal

Buzzsaw Roomba posted:

That's true, but the pulp heroes are the ones with the immortality, not just everyone. Sully had earned a bit of a Deus Ex Machina or two: he's charming, helpful, and always has your back. Sully is never noticeably selfish in any of these games, really, UC1 goldlust notwithstanding, and he's definitely a Good Guy.

Sam, by contrast, has lied constantly, emotionally manipulated Nate into putting himself in life-threatening danger, (killed a bunch of semi-innocent mercenaries, but this one's always been handwaved in UC games,) and almost permanently crippled Nate's relationship with Elena, for the sake of their mother's old treasure hunt. If it wasn't for Elena's plucky journalist nature and her love for Nate, plus some plot armour, he would have gotten Nate killed on an unmapped island off of Madagascar, and Elena would never have known what happened.

It's pretty clear at this point that UC4's position on the "bro road trip!" vs "loving marriage" spectrum leans heavily towards the adorable married couple, and Sam is diametrically opposed to that. Sam has no plot armour at the conclusion of this game, although his fate could still go either way.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

It's worth saying that Rafe also has some serious "penitent/unpenitent thief" parallels going for him, too, enough that Sam won't necessarily have to die unredeemed to fulfill the theme.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

I think this is gonna end like 'The Last Crusade' with Rafe as the German chick, Sam as Indy, and Nate as Indy's dad.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the ending is a bollywood dance with the cast of the entire series, sorry to disappoint

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Manatee Cannon posted:

the ending is a bollywood dance with the cast of the entire series, sorry to disappoint

It would be interesting to see all the Elenas lined up as four entirely different-looking people.

guns for tits
Dec 25, 2014

Sam isn't real. Uncharted 4 is Nate's hallucination as he dies in the Saharan desert.

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.

Technowolf posted:

I think this is gonna end like 'The Last Crusade' with Rafe as the German chick, Sam as Indy, and Nate as Indy's dad.

Sam: rafe talks in his sleep.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
The final boss is actually a cart race against Rafe and Sam to the treasure.

Yes, we really do get uncarted

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
In the ending it's revealed that Uncharted 4 is actually just a Frog Fractions spinoff game.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Manatee Cannon posted:

What do you mean "disappoint"?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

obviously because I spoiled the ending

Chip Cheezum
Sep 5, 2006

Sic Parvis Magna and all that
Go make some popcorn or something, because we've hit the end of Uncharted 4, and it's a looooong episode. There are a few points where I could have cut it, but it didn't feel right!

Episode 25: A Thief's End.....Cut Commentary.....Baldurdash

Also, regarding the ending... the polaroid that you pick up at the end, it IS supposed to remember the hat you were wearing when the picture was taken earlier in the game. I accidentally loaded a save that had skipped that chapter, and so Nate isn't wearing any hat in the picture. Whoops!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

For as great as the animation on people is, that dog looked really... fake, unfortunately.

Cute ending, tho.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

GoneRampant posted:

Am I the only one massively losing sympathy for Sam? Just, this last scene has convinced me that he's not that much better than Rafe, given how both are willing to cause massive amounts of damage to historical sites and get dozens, if not hundreds, of people killed. Nadine's gonna have to go on an MGSV style recruitment drive to make up for the men Nate's killed.

You don't need to feel sympathy for Sam, he's just a fictional character who does dumb things.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I am actually a bit annoyed with the ending because the entire game screams at Nate over and over GIVE UP TREASURE, GO HOME AND BE A FAMILY MAN, GIVE UP THE TREASURE YOU WILL DIE, GIVE UP THE TREASURE, GIVE UP THE TREASURE IT'S ABOUT FAMILY. And then when he finally realizes the lesson he's being taught and accepts it, the game is like "ha ha just kidding joke's on you Nate, here come more treasure adventures but it's not your choice this time". :/

Still, what a great game overall.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

CJacobs posted:

I am actually a bit annoyed with the ending because the entire game screams at Nate over and over GIVE UP TREASURE, GO HOME AND BE A FAMILY MAN, GIVE UP THE TREASURE YOU WILL DIE, GIVE UP THE TREASURE, GIVE UP THE TREASURE IT'S ABOUT FAMILY. And then when he finally realizes the lesson he's being taught and accepts it, the game is like "ha ha just kidding joke's on you Nate, here come more treasure adventures but it's not your choice this time". :/

Still, what a great game overall.

Yeah, but now they're legal treasure adventures! And I dunno, I can't think of any legal job Nate could ever do other than salvage and archaeology, so it makes sense to me.

I think in the end, Nate has to learn to stop chasing the danger and constant extra-legal "archaeology" attempts that put him in conflict with private militaries because he has people who care about him, but ultimately he's still an adventurer, and so is Elena.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Feb 10, 2017

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
I like Nadine, she isn't a moron. She has a bunch of gold and a bunch of dead guys, so gently caress the rest of this exploding mummy bullshit.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Wow, what a shock that once again people in a Chip Cheezum Uncharted thread/video comments spoiled part of the game.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

I wanna see the episode of House Hunters where Nate and Elena buy that house.

And all the shopping trips to Home Goods.

Isosceles Waffle
Jul 11, 2012
drat, that was a wild and mega-satisfying ride -- it almost makes me regret not owning a PS4! I always adore your LPs, Chip and Ironicus!

On a less gushing note, I think I figured out the character design significance of Sam's bird tattoo (it was likely brought up before in the thread by someone much brighter and faster on the uptake than myself, but eh. The framing of the cutscene of Nate and Sam on their escape in Sully's seaplane hit it home for me, really) -- birds of a feather flock together. Fitting, really.

Isosceles Waffle fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Feb 10, 2017

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.
I was supposed to leave work but I decided to just unwind for a few minutes and check out Grey Hunter's latest update for War in the Pacific before going.

Ah, some new comments in the Uncharted thread?

An hour and a half later I'm still in that same chair with my jacket on and my car is probably frozen solid outside again. This game is THAT captivating. Thanks, you guys! I never play this kind of games so if not for you I'd have missed this story!

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
Near the end when you're looking at the treasures again, you can see the "Strange Mask" from the collectables in Uncharted 2 in the top-left. I only remember this since I was re-watching the series. Kinda surprised they brought that back.

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Press X to jump, then press X again!
Toilet Rascal
Thanks, Chip and Ironicus, for speeding these last few out. We appreciate how much work you do on these videos and audios, and although it's definitely been worth the wait it's also definitely more exciting to have a rapid-fire conclusion. You could have held the Epilogue back for another episode, but you included it like an adorable, heartwarming, envy-inspiring extra video! So, yeah, thanks.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Valiantman posted:

I was supposed to leave work but I decided to just unwind for a few minutes and check out Grey Hunter's latest update for War in the Pacific before going.

Ah, some new comments in the Uncharted thread?

An hour and a half later I'm still in that same chair with my jacket on and my car is probably frozen solid outside again. This game is THAT captivating. Thanks, you guys! I never play this kind of games so if not for you I'd have missed this story!

I misread the first sentence as leave FOR work and was super worried about you for a minute.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

You guys joke but man, I'm kinda enamored by the idea of the Drake's bratty teenager complaining while they're on an adventure. Running around shooting people and going 'UGH' as she dropkicks the seventeenth merc this firefight.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
This game was amazing, beautiful, breathtaking, captivating, exciting, and so much more. I cannot thank you enough Chip & Ironicus. For letting those of use who can't afford a PS4 experience this with you. It has been a roller coaster from start to finish. Thank you so much.

General Specific
Jun 22, 2007

I had one of those, but the front wheel fell off and I had to get rid of it.
Ken M has some harsh words for the Drakes:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I didn't go out to the boat when I played that ending part because I figured that was the "ending cutscene" point and I was super disappointed when the house started it. Guess I didn't miss much but I was super broken up about it at the time.

Thanks for the LP and zooming in on all those little details I don't have the patience for.

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
My Uncharted 4: A Thief's End review:

No aliens; half a star.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Nate having a magic phase really adds to the mirrored antagonists element of 3. Talbot was what Nate the Great would have become if he continued down that dark path.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

General Ironicus in the video posted:

I'm just gonna cry for the next 6 minutes.

Good heavens, me too. I think my squee-meter broke entirely somewhere near the start of the epilogue, and it just kept getting better. :swoon: They hit the nail on the head with that ending so perfectly it could've split a mountain in half.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
The Nameless City is a real graphic novel. Not an Avatar knockoff. It has nothing to do with Avatar. The creator also did the art for the Last of Us comic series.

One of the actors listed in Last Freeway is Roland Worth, a Nolan North ripoff. There are a ton of similar references throughout.

Elements of the themes of past games play when looking at relevant objects.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Feb 10, 2017

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

They should have named their kid Lara. Licensing issues be damned.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Yayy good job Chip and Ironicus!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
Oh jeez, they even modeled and animated the dog to have hip dysplasia, I want to hug that dog so bad.

• Locked thread