Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

Sapozhnik posted:

KAC DDR Semi-finals in just over 12 hours! :dance:

Are you Gameday Thread-ing this?

Are we watching Lord Of The Dance Machine to get in the mood for it?

I just Wax Paper modded my Konami ASC. Now it makes a crinkling noise whenever I scratch, and I can't actually tell if I've made is looser or actually added more friction ^^;

-

Append

The turntable is loving amazing. It made such a difference that within one credit, I passed my first 10. To celebrate, I'm going to name my firstborn child either 'Dan Adam KOF' or 'Resonate 1794'.

Tyma fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Feb 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Here's the link to the livestream on Youtube.

Starts at 8 PM EST / 5 PM PST.

DDR A will start at around 11:15 PM EST / 8:15 PM PST.

Google Translate posted:

<Stage schedule>
10: 15 ~ "MÚSECA 1 + 1/2" The 6th KAC Final Round Semifinals
Cast: Dory / BlackY / Endorfin (sky_delta + Akira Akira) / technoplanet / Yu_Asahina

10: 55 ~ "nostalgia" stage

11: 35 ~ "Quiz Magic Academy Tokyo Gurimoire" QMA Japan Tour 2016 Grand Slam Tournament semifinals
Cast: Ishihara Producer / King Quiz · Yoshiaki Nagata (Ouchuku)

13: 15 ~ "Dance Dance Revolution A" The 6th KAC Final Round 1st Stage
Cast: TAG / U1-ASAMi / Rio Hiiragi

14: 25 ~ 'jubeat' stage

15: 10 ~ "nostalgia" stage

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Tyma posted:

Are you Gameday Thread-ing this?

Are we watching Lord Of The Dance Machine to get in the mood for it?

You mean The FP! Hell yeah I am (nah I'm actually not, I'm grinding out homework until the stream goes live. But given 2 hours of free time, I would totally watch The FP again.)

Go Team USA! I've met & played against all three US competitors (and lived with one of them,) and they know how to work at a tournament. I fully expect one of them to take 1st, and would only be a little surprised if it's a US top three.

DanAdamKOF
Feb 11, 2007

It can't be a USA top 3. IIRC the tournament is like this: Top players per region (3 total) are in the final 4 automatically, the rest eliminate each other and the winner of that enters the final 4. Meaning there could only be two Americans total in the final 4.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

DDR A starting right now! :getin:

DanAdamKOF
Feb 11, 2007

holy poo poo fungah...

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

DanAdamKOF posted:

holy poo poo fungah...

That was insane. Youtube chat loving exploded.

SeedyV
Nov 10, 2005

Water Triiiiibe
Exact same score he got a few months back, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8g8B1nzKBU

DanAdamKOF
Feb 11, 2007

DDR Finals are live! Go Fungah and Chris4life!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLY_w8xbYPM

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Holy poo poo, the last 2 songs are Paranoia Revolution CSP and Egoism 440 CSP :stare:

DanAdamKOF
Feb 11, 2007

HOLY GODDAMN gently caress Chris4life won it for America!

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

DanAdamKOF posted:

HOLY GODDAMN gently caress Chris4life won it for America!

He did it, Chris beat DDR. :patriot: That was an amazing Egoism run, goddamn.

All the DDR finalists were super stoked to be playing too, hugs and slaps and handshakes all around. :3:

Also it was really really cool that they did the DDR countdowns in English.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
FUNGAH getting a PFC on his pick was pretty amazing (it's in the archived video for the side-stage stream, not the main-stage stream).

YouTube chat went absolutely berzerk when it happened and even the Konami people were like "holy poo poo, dis white boy right here"

I mean it's amazing enough that these guys can PFC 18s after tens of attempts at their home arcades, but to bust out an 18 PFC under immense pressure in a competition right when it counts, that's just something else.

Both Jeff and Chris also had the ghost HUD enabled showing a realtime offset from their personal bests too, so you can see that all their performances were extremely solid and very close to the limits of their ability. To be able to perform so well and so consistently is a testament to the hard work and training that they put in for this match.

in summary:

Sapozhnik fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Feb 11, 2017

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

That was genuinely exciting to watch, but my god, the charts for Drop Out and the Paranoia song were just awful steaming loads of poo poo. Egoism looked really good and fair, as long as you knew the BPM gimmicks.

I'm looking forward to IIDX tonight! I think it's around 12 AM EST.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

enojy posted:

That was genuinely exciting to watch, but my god, the charts for Dead End and the Paranoia song were just awful steaming loads of poo poo. Egoism looked really good and fair, as long as you knew the BPM gimmicks.

I'm looking forward to IIDX tonight! I think it's around 12 AM EST.

Fixed that for you.

I have to agree, out of all the Single 19s, Egoism has probably the most fair chart. And even the BPM changes are easy to handle once you remember where they are and how they go with the music.

Of course I'm still down in 13~14 territory so what do I know? :shrug:

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

DizzyBum posted:

Fixed that for you.

I have to agree, out of all the Single 19s, Egoism has probably the most fair chart. And even the BPM changes are easy to handle once you remember where they are and how they go with the music.

Of course I'm still down in 13~14 territory so what do I know? :shrug:

Oh haha, thanks. Wasn't Drop Out another DDR/bemani song? If not, I dunno where I got that from.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

enojy posted:

Oh haha, thanks. Wasn't Drop Out another DDR/bemani song? If not, I dunno where I got that from.

Yeah, it's the Boss Song from Solo 2000 that sounds quite a bit like Dead End ^_^

quote:

All the other 19s (and most of the stupider 18s) were part of unlock events whereby players had to grind for hours to earn a shot at playing the song, and also had to play it under impossible circumstances - Paranoia Revolution had to be played on Flat, in a disorientating recreation of the DDR 2nd Mix engine, and the others were played on an OMES stage, where any break in the players' combo insta-failed the song.

The way the high ranking players learnt to pass them was to grind out an attempt, film it, and then upload the few seconds of song they'd manage to pass onto Nicovideo or Youtube. All the other high level players would watch and memorise those 20 seconds, and then film their own attempts. Whenever someone got further than a previous player, they'd upload their own video, so that everyone could learn what the next few seconds of steps entailed. It was really, really dumb, but that's probably the reason all the KAC players have the charts completely memorised.

I think Egoism is probably the fairest, because it wasn't written with the same mentallity as a World Of Warcraft raid : 'Let's make something nobody will be able to beat for at least 2 months'.

Edit : Just realised I'm talking about the Expert charts for those songs. The Challenge charts were all added later than the original songs.

Tyma fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Feb 12, 2017

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

DanAdamKOF
Feb 11, 2007

IIDX KAC tournament finals are live! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEJkszo_Y_M

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I missed everything on Saturday/Sunday, I'll have to catch the highlights later.

Also, holy poo poo, check out what just got revived in Sinobuz:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=He83tDYQMSw

tobeannouncd
Oct 2, 2011

The tiger took my family
Just watched the DDR finals. :911: I'm so proud.

Also, back to IIDX talk, I'm stoked about Go Beyond!! pt. 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcD-BZ6SsZQ

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

MajorMarcus posted:

Just watched the DDR finals. :911: I'm so proud.

Also, back to IIDX talk, I'm stoked about Go Beyond!! pt. 2

I like this song, which seems to be the unpopular opinion from all the comments I've seen about it so far calling it trash and a step back from Go Beyond!!.

I swear, every time there's a new event in IIDX, all the new songs are derided as mediocre to trash. The only exceptions are CS revivals, and AZISAI from Copula which everyone loses their loving minds over (which is fine, because AZISAI is fantastic). I can't recall the last time I've outright disliked a new IIDX song, but I will get tired of certain songs more quickly than others. That's as severe as it gets for me.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
IIDX styles in the LDJ era have followed a pattern: First they explode onto the scene with an amazing day-one song list, the first event songs are good if not some of the best in the style

Then Konami kinda stops giving a poo poo and we get some really mediocre stuff

Then sometimes we're lucky and we get a cool crossover event like Bemani Academy. Although the song quality there is also quite variable.

Also Spada sucked out loud from start to finish. AETHER and Verflucht were the only good songs, and even then their charts were unremarkable and hideously overcharted BMS garbage respectively.

Sinobuz has been consistently excellent though. It's everything that SPADA should have been.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Sapozhnik posted:

Also Spada sucked out loud from start to finish. AETHER and Verflucht were the only good songs, and even then their charts were unremarkable and hideously overcharted BMS garbage respectively.

Yeah I think everyone can agree that Spada's songlist was not great. Despite that, I'd say there's about 10~15 new songs from Spada I like, enough that they're usually in my default MP3 playlist. And it's the version that revived some of my favorite CS songs, so I can't hate on it too much. :v:

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I liked Spada a decent amount! But, ever since they stopped putting out CS releases, it's lower on my list. The only style I like less is probably Resort Anthem, which is the only one I don't like. Otherwise they're all pretty good to me. Pendual is probably my favorite.

I didn't care for Spada's UI though, especially the lovely results screen font. Changing it was offensive enough, but making it super ugly made it worse.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!
Spada is ridiculously good if you're not 75 years old and care about the jcore scene. I'll admit it's a pretty ugly looking style though.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

enojy posted:

I didn't care for Spada's UI though, especially the lovely results screen font. Changing it was offensive enough, but making it super ugly made it worse.

Yeah, the boxy-letters grade font is like an institution at this point. I think it's been used since, what, 9th Style?

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
I hated how even if I passed a song in Spada it still sounded like the results screen was booing at me

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Oh I didn't know this thread existed sooooo two things.
One, I caught this at the end of the Sound Voltex portion of that stream.

Two, is this a place to talk about Sound Voltex/KShootmania stuff? I tried to talk about it at a reddit discord meant for KSM and was met with some pretty harsh feedback to my ideas. I need a safe space.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

DaveKap posted:

Oh I didn't know this thread existed sooooo two things.
One, I caught this at the end of the Sound Voltex portion of that stream.

Two, is this a place to talk about Sound Voltex/KShootmania stuff? I tried to talk about it at a reddit discord meant for KSM and was met with some pretty harsh feedback to my ideas. I need a safe space.

Yeah, this is the de facto Bemani/sim thread at this point, despite the title.

DanAdamKOF
Feb 11, 2007

Spada was spoiled for me by being when the great social media ban went into place. We had some good times :)

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Okay, if this is the Bemani thread then I have a couple questions...
Is there a good place to get custom Kshootmania charts that aren't purely Bemani-like music charts? Like, charts for songs that are just, yknow, normal everday music and not 400BPM beat messes?
If not, would anyone be interested in such charts? I bought a Virgoo Turbocharger JUST so I could play the music I like in a way that isn't as simple as Audiosurf or Stepmania (I really like the idea of twisting two knobs) and will end up making a bunch of charts myself. The reddit discord essentially had no idea what I was talking about when I suggested this, indicating they required high-pitched anime girl vocals over hyper-turbo beat diarrhea in order to enjoy the game.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Be careful with those two knobs, I'm inching into harder Advanced 8s and more than once I've stabbed my finger into a knob, in my horrible flailing attempt to play. That poo poo hurts! Usually only happens when I haven't played for a week or two.

I like how the higher up you go, the more interesting things are done with the knobs, it isn't just "gradual all the way back and forth sweeps with a slam at the end".

e. Also, since this is the rhythm game general chat - I thought Theatrhythm was fairly easy, aaaand then I started getting into the hard 8s. Holy poo poo.

Code Jockey fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Feb 14, 2017

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

I'm actually not even interested in playing the songs that come with the arcade games or getting really hardcore into it. I'm really just using it as a medium to play the songs I already like. Doubt I'll have to worry about slamming my hands into it. Thanks for the warning, though!

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

Code Jockey posted:

Be careful with those two knobs, I'm inching into harder Advanced 8s and more than once I've stabbed my finger into a knob, in my horrible flailing attempt to play. That poo poo hurts! Usually only happens when I haven't played for a week or two.

I like how the higher up you go, the more interesting things are done with the knobs, it isn't just "gradual all the way back and forth sweeps with a slam at the end".

e. Also, since this is the rhythm game general chat - I thought Theatrhythm was fairly easy, aaaand then I started getting into the hard 8s. Holy poo poo.

I hope you mean you jammed your finger because I'd really want to see how someone could manage to stab themselves on a sdvx knob!!

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Dryzen posted:

I hope you mean you jammed your finger because I'd really want to see how someone could manage to stab themselves on a sdvx knob!!

hey the Round1 in Southcenter is a rough place, even the bemani machines get stabby :v:

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

Well I'll be moving there soon so I guess I'll find out

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Dryzen posted:

Well I'll be moving there soon so I guess I'll find out

It's very good!

I work really close to it so I go there on my lunches sometimes, and of course that is when the eamuse network is down for maintenance, like 12 to 1 or 2. :argh: I need to take later lunches. Eamuse being down means I've been playing more non-bemani stuff, like Theatrhythm and UFO catchers.

Playing Yakuza again has made me pretty good at UFO catchers, I won two stuffed shibas this week. If you like toy claw machines, stay the gently caress away from the three-claw ones Round1 has, those things are rigged/half broken. The "real" two claw UFO catcher type machines are pretty fair.

It's spoiled me for arcades. I was talking to DanAdamKOF earlier when I was at Gameworks in Seattle, playing on that poor, old, abused Pop'n machine they have. It's... 14 I believe, with a lovely monitor [or, more specifically, a decent enough HD monitor on an SD cab that's not taking its video signal quite right]. It's always a fun gamble to see what will be broken on that machine when I go in - at least this time the buttons all worked without sticking, but sometimes at least one is badly sticking, or the video's way overbright, etc.

Code Jockey fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Feb 14, 2017

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I couldn't sleep last night, so I said gently caress it and played some IIDX. Ended up passing a bunch more 10s, most of which I can't remember at the moment because I'm still kinda groggy from my 3-hour nap. I'll edit some notable ones in later.

I also remember trying Rock Da House [A] because I heard it was one of the easiest 11s and I wanted to see what I'll be in for when I'm really ready. So, I definitely did not pass it, but at least I got a high C. It's about the same feeling I got when I was just starting back into 9s and I said "eh, lemme try an easy 10."

Code Jockey posted:

It's spoiled me for arcades. I was talking to DanAdamKOF earlier when I was at Gameworks in Seattle, playing on that poor, old, abused Pop'n machine they have. It's... 14 I believe, with a lovely monitor [or, more specifically, a decent enough HD monitor on an SD cab that's not taking its video signal quite right]. It's always a fun gamble to see what will be broken on that machine when I go in - at least this time the buttons all worked without sticking, but sometimes at least one is badly sticking, or the video's way overbright, etc.

Almost every Pop'n I used to see in the wild was 14 FEVER. Dunno what it is about that mix that just got around!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

DizzyBum posted:

Almost every Pop'n I used to see in the wild was 14 FEVER. Dunno what it is about that mix that just got around!

Fever was the last Python 2 version before Pop'n switched to a Bemani PC setup in 15 Adventure. To upgrade from Fever to Adventure and beyond requires a new pcb kit along with rewiring everything as the python wiring is not compatible with the bemani pc wiring. To date all of the SD cabs run on the same BPC hardware so it's a decent upgrade if you can find the parts/patience to do it.