Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

I mean, really, were they wrong?

Nah they hit it right on the money but I just wanted to be friendly with allied forces :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
I've heard the Poles are super chill and really loving good at their jobs

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
Didn't have much interaction with them except for when we worked together when KAF had an intruder alert, but yeah they seemed to be pretty cool and on point.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
My experience with other militaries was solely with a hot French fighter pilot (over the net).

Well, she sounded hot.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

I mean, I can only assume that she was saying some really sexy poo poo, because the French were impossible to understand through a radio. The Brits at least speak passable English, even with an accent.

It took like a week for us just to figure out her call sign, if that's any indication.

tankfish
May 31, 2013
Speaking of international army relations. I have a family member do repair work in Afghanistan as a contractor and he got to talk to a bunch of different services. Anyway my question is Seal team 6 really that hated by the rest of the international special forces that have to work with them?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Naked Bear posted:

My experience with other militaries was solely with a hot French fighter pilot (over the net).

Well, she sounded hot.

I once came across a Japanese officer while walking across a base and didnt know to bow or salute. Did both just to be safe.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

Pesticide20 posted:

That limerick you posted was poo poo
Nobody thought it a hit
But if you feel better
With a whine and a fretter
From the back you can suck my dick

Missing a syllable on the last line there bb but otherwise 10/10

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

tankfish posted:

Speaking of international army relations. I have a family member do repair work in Afghanistan as a contractor and he got to talk to a bunch of different services. Anyway my question is Seal team 6 really that hated by the rest of the international special forces that have to work with them?

As a seal team six I say yes.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

the Poles were chill af
the Georgians were hilarious to watch
and the aussie mess halls are horrid, but they were ok

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Booblord Zagats posted:

I've heard the Poles are super chill and really loving good at their jobs

Because every job requires more than one of them. Changing a lightbulb, finding the gold in the corner of a round room, etc.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Shame about the mortality rate in their submarine force.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

the Georgians were hilarious to watch

i saw the georgians for a quick minute pulling chow hall guard duty in the green zone. then they got recalled back home to go fight the russians lol

AlexanderCA
Jul 21, 2010

by Cyrano4747
So the big question that you're not supposed to ask because it's obviously very obtrusive, but this is a internet forum so people can easily choose not to respond. Have you ever killed someone? I realize most military never even see combat, let alone close enough for a confirmed kill. So any action where you "pulled the trigger" so to speak to set in motion a attempt to take someone out.

There's a taboo about talking about this specifically and i wonder if it contributes to ptsd. I imagine killing in war used to be a lot more common experience before our safe and sheltered modern societies.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

AlexanderCA posted:

So the big question that you're not supposed to ask because it's obviously very obtrusive, but this is a internet forum so people can easily choose not to respond. Have you ever killed someone? I realize most military never even see combat, let alone close enough for a confirmed kill. So any action where you "pulled the trigger" so to speak to set in motion a attempt to take someone out.

There's a taboo about talking about this specifically and i wonder if it contributes to ptsd. I imagine killing in war used to be a lot more common experience before our safe and sheltered modern societies.

It's not the answer you're looking for, but no, I didn't kill anyone. I'm eternally grateful that I didn't have to make that choice either.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Zeris posted:

Missing a syllable on the last line there bb but otherwise 10/10

Didn't even need a fancy MFA or anything

Edit for killing dudes question:

I'm honestly not sure if I killed anyone or not. Definitely shot at people and called dudes out as targets to my gunner, but we didn't do BDAs on those occasions so I can't say for sure. What I can say is that at the time my emotions were all over the place with anger and fear, but mostly I felt excitement and glee. Combat differs for everyone and by the intensity and length of the firefight. If it's long then goddamn, it is tiring as gently caress. The amount of adrenaline that your body can push out during extended periods of stress is phenomenal, though. I loving loved it and I miss it. Afterwards, though, goddamn. The crash can be absolutely brutal. If you combine the crash with something that is emotionally devastating, well, good luck getting through without damage.

For most of my buddies that I was in combat with and talked to about what they experienced, it's reflex to do what you practice and try your best to remember all the different aspects of whatever training you've done. You're so worried about loving up that you don't think too hard about shooting at someone and trying to kill them beyond making sure you're taking the right steps.

My experiences though are mostly reacting to my COP coming under attack or my convoy/patrol getting attacked. I was in Afghanistan from 2012-13 and again in 2014 and didn't go kicking in doors or take part in anything MOUT so I can't tell you anything about being in that kind of engagement.

I hope this was enlightening to some lurker in some way and if anyone wants me to try and explain something better just ask. I'm sure another poster in here has more or different experiences and can probably do a better job than me.

Also, seriously, I loving miss combat and it's something that I wish I could get back into but goddamn it is not worth dealing with the Army bullshit or really any kind of bullshit for that experience. Especially if that means your buddies dying. :smith: For real, I loving hate anyone that's never been in combat and suffered a loss that says they want to get in a firefight. That sort of moto bullshit makes me really, really loving angry.

UP THE BUM NO BABY fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Feb 11, 2017

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Also, there's a hell of a lot happening in a very brief period of time. Your body produces adrenaline and that allows you to try and get a handle on everything that is happening. But there's so much that you try to focus on in order to survive that it's just overwhelming to try and come to terms with afterwards.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
I think statistically people in the military are more likely to kill themselves or their buddy than the enemy.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

not caring here posted:

I think statistically people in the military are more likely to kill themselves or their buddy than the enemy.

:same:

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

AlexanderCA posted:

Yes. I was really young (compared to now) and in a constant state of mania from (Then undiagnosed) Bipolar disorder. So at the time my empathy was way outta whack and I had very few feelings about the deaths of EKIA or Civvies getting whacked. It was all just an elaborate game to me.

Not the case now but I'm medicated, so that helps. The pills generally help.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

AlexanderCA posted:

blazeing w/ hitler posted:

Sudden movement on the rooftops -- I zoomed in my M16A14 w/ A Cog and fired off a sick double tap on some insurgent wearing velcro shoes, his body sort of just went limp why running & then fell off the roof onto the street lmao. Then I felt sick to by tummy, thinking wow, I just.. killed someone, but I ate a spoiled MRE earlier haha, killing people is loving cool and Im never eading Jambalaya MRE again.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
thats legendary soldier IDR right?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I jokingly tell people that ask me that question that I hurt someone's feelings once.

I don't actually know, because I was never in a situation where I could definitely say "yes, that was me that did that" it was all group engagements. Probably? I don't know.

PTSD comes in different flavors, but generally the worst is from a combination of chronic, high stress (like being in the jungles of Vietnam or on a COP somewhere) along with acute, extreme stress situations. That's a bastard to decompress from and takes years, if ever. I'm lucky enough that I've been able to structure my life around my limitations and lead a mostly (like 90%) normal life, almost a decade after getting out on medical. Not everyone is that lucky.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

thats legendary soldier IDR right?

no...thats legendary funny guy prospector. the original 'really good' came from him.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
oh ok I dont know what any of that is IDK why I was thinking that was IDR

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Glenn Quebec posted:

Well, now I wanna know how the French were unprofessional?

Nothing interesting, just general rudeness and their intel NCO was blatantly trying to pry info out of us.

Edit: Which is pretty dumb, since they have the same loving airplane.

Edit2: Obviously I never killed anyone, we weren't even issued M9s back in the day no matter where we were flying. But I know I controlled a bunch of aircraft that turned bad guys into dust.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Feb 11, 2017

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Let's get dark. What about your service makes you feel guilty is it double tapping some arab while in the throes of jambalaya mud butt? Or making GBS threads in a can without breaking eye contact with your ANA cohort?

FIDEL CASHFLOW
Oct 13, 2009

Glenn Quebec posted:

Let's get dark. What about your service makes you feel guilty is it double tapping some arab while in the throes of jambalaya mud butt? Or making GBS threads in a can without breaking eye contact with your ANA cohort?

That I was in for 8 years and didn't do a single goddamn thing.
Infantry for 4 - that unit is going to Qatar for their first ever deployment soon
Fueler for 4 - that unit still isn't deployable yet

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Glenn Quebec posted:

i used to feel real bad for our translator. dude shattered his leg jumping out of a second story window when a bunch of dudes try to kill him for helping Americans

he made it with his million kids and two wives and was a real cool dude. i hope hes doing ok.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
i feel bad for our terp, "Shorty" as he liked to be called because he totally was like "my family might die" for helping us then lol those dude got banned from the USA. I dont know what happened with him but I also hope he is doing ok.

It was long ago that he probably got in, but still I'd just hate to be remotely middle eastern right now GO USA

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

i feel bad for our terp, "Shorty" as he liked to be called because he totally was like "my family might die" for helping us then lol those dude got banned from the USA. I dont know what happened with him but I also hope he is doing ok.

It was long ago that he probably got in, but still I'd just hate to be remotely middle eastern right now GO USA

we had another dude we called lucky that would go out with us on missions in baqubah

he hated everyone in that region and would constantly talk poo poo to people who would walk up to is

dude owned at life

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 21 days!

AlexanderCA posted:

I get asked this by kids I teach a lot and the best answer I've given them without letting them know I am a stone cold killer is "my job was never to kill anyone, we shoot until they stop shooting back, and they stopped shooting back, I don't care of they're dead or not".

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
sorry for a recruiting story but it's really hosed up to be giving a light hearted q&a question session to middle schoolers for PR poo poo and some kid inevitably ask that question and having to explain "no one wants to talk about that" in 12 year old terms or whatever

usually it came up right after them asking if you dual wielded or some poo poo

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

I feel guilty that there are so many other dudes way more hosed up than I am, just by being in right/wrong place at the right/wrong time. I know plenty of guys that got legit hosed up and I'm just some dude with sadbrains. I know, consciously, that there's nothing wrong with that, it's just the way things happen, but I still feel like there are so many other guys that need the help more than I do. Little poo poo like if I had merely been in a different platoon, I could be tremendously hosed up or straight-up dead right now. The worst feeling isn't being worried about your own mortality, but having to worry about your buddies. poo poo like, I'm up here on the hill but I can't see my teammates or my CO, and I can't see the enemy, either. If they get hit right now, there's jack and poo poo that I can do about it at this instant besides be a loving radio relay, despite having a big truck and a big gun and all of the CAS on tap that anybody could ever want. poo poo like getting woken up in the middle of the night to get spun up for the millionth time and thinking, "this had better be something important" and finding out that yeah, in fact, it's important because a bunch of your buddies just got smoked. In the grand scheme of things, it just comes down to not much more than a roll of the dice, even when you train your rear end off so that when it does happen you've got the best shot at coming out on top. It could be you, it could be somebody else, and sometimes you wish that it had been you instead of them. Those guys had so much going for them, and just as much a right to life as the rest of us, but things didn't work out that way.

For the record, I don't regret doing it. If I had to go back and make that decision all over again, given my situation in life at that point, I'd still have done it. The buddies you make are closer than family, and I wouldn't trade those experiences for the world, not even the bad ones.

e: To answer the earlier question, no, I haven't killed anybody. That said, I'd burn the world to the ground if that's what it would take to make sure that the shitheads who killed my friends got what's coming to them. You would, too, if you had been in my boots.

Naked Bear fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Feb 11, 2017

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

AlexanderCA posted:

When I got back from Iraq, some tofu-eating, haiku-writing motherfucker called me a babykiller.

I looked him in the eye and said "When I was in Iraq, I didn't kill anyone. I created no orphans, I heard no widows' lamentations, and I didn't get to defile any civilizations."

He put his hand on my shoulder and said, "I'm so sorry, man. Why the gently caress did we even send you over?"

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Naked Bear posted:

I feel guilty that there are so many other dudes way more hosed up than I am, just by being in right/wrong place at the right/wrong time. I know plenty of guys that got legit hosed up and I'm just some dude with sadbrains. I know, consciously, that there's nothing wrong with that, it's just the way things happen, but I still feel like there are so many other guys that need the help more than I do. Little poo poo like if I had merely been in a different platoon, I could be tremendously hosed up or straight-up dead right now. The worst feeling isn't being worried about your own mortality, but having to worry about your buddies. poo poo like, I'm up here on the hill but I can't see my teammates or my CO, and I can't see the enemy, either. If they get hit right now, there's jack and poo poo that I can do about it at this instant besides be a loving radio relay, despite having a big truck and a big gun and all of the CAS on tap that anybody could ever want. poo poo like getting woken up in the middle of the night to get spun up for the millionth time and thinking, "this had better be something important" and finding out that yeah, in fact, it's important because a bunch of your buddies just got smoked. In the grand scheme of things, it just comes down to not much more than a roll of the dice, even when you train your rear end off so that when it does happen you've got the best shot at coming out on top. It could be you, it could be somebody else, and sometimes you wish that it had been you instead of them. Those guys had so much going for them, and just as much a right to life as the rest of us, but things didn't work out that way.

For the record, I don't regret doing it. If I had to go back and make that decision all over again, given my situation in life at that point, I'd still have done it. The buddies you make are closer than family, and I wouldn't trade those experiences for the world, not even the bad ones.

e: To answer the earlier question, no, I haven't killed anybody. That said, I'd burn the world to the ground if that's what it would take to make sure that the shitheads who killed my friends got what's coming to them. You would, too, if you had been in my boots.

Goddamn, this

AlexanderCA
Jul 21, 2010

by Cyrano4747
Thanks for the answers, interesting reading.

And I knew this was coming:

Suicide Watch posted:

blazeing w/ hitler posted:

Sudden movement on the rooftops -- I zoomed in my M16A14 w/ A Cog and fired off a sick double tap on some insurgent wearing velcro shoes, his body sort of just went limp why running & then fell off the roof onto the street lmao. Then I felt sick to by tummy, thinking wow, I just.. killed someone, but I ate a spoiled MRE earlier haha, killing people is loving cool and Im never eading Jambalaya MRE again. 

Because it's one of the funniest things I've read on these forums next to catacombs of paris one and it sort of inspired the question.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Glenn Quebec posted:

For a good while I felt guilty that I didn't do my utmost best on deployment, that I was just a stupid, immature kid. Took me years to realize that we were all stupid, immature kids, because what the hell else can you expect out of a platoon full of 21 year old infantry grunts?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
My guilt has boiled away over time, along with the rage and sadness that comes with it. Took a long loving time though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

The Rat posted:

For a good while I felt guilty that I didn't do my utmost best on deployment, that I was just a stupid, immature kid. Took me years to realize that we were all stupid, immature kids, because what the hell else can you expect out of a platoon full of 21 year old infantry grunts?

The kind of person who worries about that is probably the one who did a good job anyway lol

• Locked thread