Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Lemming posted:

Is it good? I haven't messed around with Rec Room yet

Seems fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I'm holding off on playing it until the meetup on Sat, hopefully some others will be lvl one still also, not that I have any idea if that matters

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

The Walrus posted:

I'm holding off on playing it until the meetup on Sat, hopefully some others will be lvl one still also, not that I have any idea if that matters

It doesn't.

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
Feeling extreme hype over here, folks

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/291222

Gabe Newell posted:

"So one of the questions you might ask us is 'Why in the world are we making hardware?' So right now, we're building 3 VR games. And what we can do now is to be designing hardware at the same time that we're designing software. This is something that Miyamoto has always had, right?"

quote:

Newell and team did later confirm that these were not smaller experiments, but intended to be new "full games"

Maximum hype

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Gabe Newell posted:

So right now, we're building 3 VR games."

Obligatory "Half Life 3 VR Confirmed"

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

mad.radhu posted:

Feeling extreme hype over here, folks

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/291222

Maximum hype

Can't wait to play it on the Steam Mind Core, the 12th gen VR device of choice.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
Rec Room quest seems fun, but I can't believe they are still using the garbage teleportation locomotion mechanic. Full free movement ala Onward and that game would be pretty great.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Zero VGS posted:

Obligatory "Half Life 3 VR Confirmed"

Gabe Newell posted:

Checks out imho

iceaim
May 20, 2001

Stick100 posted:

Some more quick impressions:

Quell 4d (Good, but not great fps, tough checkpoints (10+ minutes) make it hard to push through, gave up)

Personally I love Quell 4D and think it's very underrated. It does provide a stiff challenge, and I think it is just as amazing as Superhot VR since it makes you feel like a bad rear end.

What level did you reach?

I am at level 7 currently. I am going to go play some quell 4D now.

iceaim fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Feb 10, 2017

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
It will be Half-Life 3 alright.

Half-Life 3D. A VR remake of the original!:v:

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'd accept that.

iceaim
May 20, 2001

Bremen posted:

I'd accept that.

Same here. I've been very happy with The Lab so any kind of Valve produced or developed game is welcome, let alone 3.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

iceaim posted:

Same here. I've been very happy with The Lab so any kind of Valve produced or developed game is welcome, let alone 3.

I fully agree, but you gotta admit it would make a fair number of people absolutely furious in the most entertaining way possible :munch:.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I fully agree, but you gotta admit it would make a fair number of people absolutely furious in the most entertaining way possible :munch:.

I just want it to happen to see all of those furious people cave in and buy a VR headset.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
If only for a video where Gabe reveals "Half Life 3" and everyone goes nuts. Then he looks at the monitor and says "oh whoops, sorry about that, guys." He moves a stool or something out of the way of the camera and now it says "Half Life 3D."

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Gamasutra posted a longer interview with Gaben: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/291225/Gabe_Newell_opens_up_about_Valves_VR_plans.php

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Hell the old HL2 VR mod that used the DK1/2 and Hydra was downright amazing when it worked. I wanted to play though HL2 with it but by the time I got home from a Lan where I first tried the drat thing, they patched HL2 and broke the VR/Mod and I have yet to see it updated or working again. (Granted I haven't checked in a while, has it been updated to work again with any of the current headsets/controls?)

The way the guy modded it to work in HL2 was way ahead of it's time too. You looked at the side of the gun for ammo, click a button and reload using your other hand. You could actually throw the grenades. It was amazing at the time and another one I wanted to play on the Omni so bad.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

They're supposedly still working on updating HL2VR

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

homeless snail posted:

They're supposedly still working on updating HL2VR

It's a race between which will be done first. HL2VR or HL3 at this point.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
There's already one Valve game that's perfect for VR....

Richochet

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Dongattack posted:

Yeah. There's so little info online also about what works cause everyone gets told to buy Inateck. I'm gonna order a Asus USB 3.1 Type-A card once my cat gets off me and i can reach my VISA, if it doesn't solve my tracking issue i can just return it.

So this thing is here now and installed, so far so good. Both sensors are hooked up to the card and both are green and have stopped whining after i updated the cards drivers. But one sensor says its USB 2.0 and the other 3.0, what's that about?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It just runs one of them as UBS 2.0.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Cojawfee posted:

It just runs one of them as UBS 2.0.

Is that something to care about?

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Dongattack posted:

Is that something to care about?

If you only have two sensors and none are using extension cables, I would probably try to get it running in USB 3 mode. Running in USB 2 mode does stuff like jpeg compression on the images that are sent from the camera so they may not be as accurate in certain circumstances.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
reminder that we are meeting in the lobby of rec room tomorrow at 1:00 PM ET for games. be there and be afternoon drunk.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

rage-saq posted:

Rec Room quest seems fun, but I can't believe they are still using the garbage teleportation locomotion mechanic. Full free movement ala Onward and that game would be pretty great.

Onward motion works for onward for many reasons but is a really terrible locomotion solution and for many people can make you very sick very quick.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
For some reason the joystick locomotion makes me REALLY queasy in obduction. I'm not sure why that game specifically, since I didn't have much problem in onward or other games.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

The Walrus posted:

reminder that we are meeting in the lobby of rec room tomorrow at 1:00 PM ET for games. be there and be afternoon drunk.

hell yea

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Bhodi posted:

For some reason the joystick locomotion makes me REALLY queasy in obduction. I'm not sure why that game specifically, since I didn't have much problem in onward or other games.

Obduction started to make me feel ill and no other game has. I think the poor performance as well as some other factors cause it.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Bhodi posted:

Its not the joystick free locomotion itself that is the problem, its the implementation.
Onward is a total dream to play, outstanding movement controls (basically FPS level movement with no jumping) with no vr-sickness at all because they do a few important things that other games don't. I played Onward for about 30 hours before trying out DOOM3 BFG VR. I have never once got the slightest hint of vr-sick in Onwards even with multi hour play sessions but I had to lay down and forcibly quell some sim-sickness I got after 30 minutes of DOOM3 BFG VR.

There are a lot of things that probably accidentally happen that help vs things that were conscious design decisions.

1: Movement speed isn't too high and defaults to fairly slow speed unless you key the sequence to sprint. This translates to a fairly smooth and predictable acceleration speed, which is what you are used to.
2: Turning is either IRL turning or small increment snap turning, so you don't get a weird rotational velocity your brain is struggling to understand. Moving in multiple directions at the same time (forwards + pitch up + yaw left for example) greatly increases the chances of getting vr-sick or real-life-motion-sickness if you are in say a car/rollercoaster ride.
3: When you move forwards or backwards or strafe side to side and turn your head to look around, your original direction is maintained. This makes your movement direction very consistent.
4: Lots of "anchor points" with where your body is in the game world. Your two hands, part of your torso, and a weapon all work towards framing your perception of you moving through the world much your body does in real life.

The end result is that it is very easy to translate your characters movement in game with what your brain is anticipating happening. Motion sickness and vr-sickness (previously known as sim-sickness in really immersive flight sims) are two sides of the same coin. Your brain is either receiving input from your body (sense of motion in direction your head isn't currently pointed at) that doesn't match up with what you are anticipating (because you are reading a book in a car) OR your brain is getting input from your eyes that you are going in a direction you weren't anticipating, because you are going in too many directions at once or you are going in an unanticipated direction accidentally because of poor movement controls.

rage-saq fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Feb 10, 2017

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
Rec Room Quest mode is very good and fun

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
I tried out Knock Out League tonight, and for early access, that's pretty cool. Very Punch Out like, with figuring out the opponents' patterns and having to dodge or block and counter punch. Only four opponents right now, but hopefully they will add a bunch more. The actual gameplay feels good and I found it challenging.

Also, my quads are killing me. It's a decent workout if you're really dodging.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
reminder rec room today at 1:00 ET.

edit: also this climbey level is nuts. was with some slower people but it took us 50 mins before we gave up, maybe 4/5 of the way to the top. it's the closest thing to an actual video game level I've played. so so good.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=799938181&searchtext=the+well

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Feb 11, 2017

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
How can people even meet up in Rec Room. The locker rooms are random? Me and my IRL friend had to swap locker rooms like 20 times to find each other.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Bum the Sad posted:

How can people even meet up in Rec Room. The locker rooms are random? Me and my IRL friend had to swap locker rooms like 20 times to find each other.

lol oh poo poo that's an issue. does anyone know if vrchat is the same situation?

edit: oh sweet, thanks cowja. everyone can add me at http://steamcommunity.com/id/torontowalrus/

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Bum the Sad posted:

You can join your friends.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Cojawfee posted:

You can join your friends.

Hmm maybe I couldn't figure that out in the Oculus program.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
You look at your friends list, select a friend and it should be clear how to join them.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Cojawfee posted:

You look at your friends list, select a friend and it should be clear how to join them.

We were trying to figure it out in game. Guess I should have hit the Oculus button?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Bum the Sad posted:

We were trying to figure it out in game. Guess I should have hit the Oculus button?

No, it's the friends list in rec room.