Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dinosaurmageddon
Jul 7, 2007

by zen death robot
Hell Gem

Cold on a Cob posted:

i think if you're gonna whitewash the role then scarlett johansson is actually a good choice to play the major

She is the ONLY choice:

Reality is stranger than Fiction :wink:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

agyness deyn was good in the pusher remake but i don't think you want indie twee people masquerading as military soldiers. it'd be like having michael ciera and ellen page in there, although i'd argue pilou asbaek is doing that already. they should have casted the rock or jason statham

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

i think they should have cast the girl from pacific rim instead of scarlett johanssen.

rinko kikuchi would have been great but she was having a baby at the time they were filming and that would have either meant a super awkward rewrite or heinous cg

edit: a cd thread about the movie that surprisingly isn't wall to wall poo poo

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
black rain is about as close to cyberpunk as its possible to be without actually being cyberpunk

unfortunately it's also roughly 20 hours long and mostly dull as gently caress

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

:golgo:
EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN
:golgo:
also yeah look at the source the major is a character who changes bodies constantly so I'm willing to bet they thought they could get away with using a white actress

shirow doesn't seem to give a poo poo

I saw the original movie in a theater on tuesday it was gr8

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"
My fear is not the white washing but the ham fisted fan service. I suspect they are going to just drop random scenes from the most popular versions of the GitS catelogue that are totally out of context and stripped of their original significance. For example, in one of the previews they show the scene from the original movie of the Major waking up in her apartment. In the 1995 animated movie that scene brilliantly setup the themes and ideas of the movie using interesting visual metaphors. The live action movie, I fear, is just going to throw it in there and be all "Hey remember this scene from the movie?! Wasn't that cool?!"

SwitchbladeKult fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Feb 10, 2017

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i hope we get lots of shots of the tachikomas wrecking poo poo

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

idgaf about the integrity of canon

if the movie is good, thats great. if it sucks, welp whatever.

whitewashing is poo poo though & i wish it would stop

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

maybe the major was more asian in her original body *wrings hands nervously*

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

and batous round eyes are uh, they cover his real and not white guy eyes

actually, i saw a trailer last night at jwiki 2 and he had normal eyes for a second. flashback maybe? it looked intentional but out of place with the scenes

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

SwitchbladeKult posted:

My fear is not the white washing but the ham fisted fan service. I suspect they are going to just drop random scenes from the most popular versions of the GitS catelogue that are totally out of context and stripped of their original significance. For example, in one of the previews they show the scene from the original movie of the Major waking up in her apartment. In the 1995 animated movie that scene brilliantly setup the themes and ideas of the movie using interesting visual metaphors. The live action movie, I fear, is just going to throw it in there and be all "Hey remember this scene from the movie?! Wasn't that cool?!"

an entire movie where Black Widow wears an even more skintight latex bodysuit while doing sick anime moves is pretty much the definition of fanservice, and if that isn't obvious to you then you are the fan being serviced

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply my worry is over canon. What worries me is lifting whole scenes from one movie and crowbaring them into a different movie just to pander to some target audience usually results in the movie being a trash heap. That said, I'm actually really impressed by the original stuff that is being showcased.

On the topic of fanservice, I find the cyborg scenes very uncanny valley and not in any way sexual which is probably hopefully on purpose. It could be a really good effect or it could ruin the movie entirely.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

SwitchbladeKult posted:

Bit of a derail but what is the goon collective's opinion of the live action Ghost in the Shell movie based on what we've seen in the previews?

edit: drunk posting typo corrections

but is it anime (forbidden)

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
hopefully they can at least get the music right.

if it ends up being scored by moody covers of modern pop songs it'll be pretty disappointing

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
well origa's dead so that's not a good start for the music

Cyberbird
Jul 18, 2015

it's gonna suck sorry. it will look good enough and show off scarjo's rear end but it'll totally miss the existential themes and use of visual symbolism that made GitS a great movie.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Cyberbird posted:

it's gonna suck sorry. it will look good enough and show off scarjo's rear end

i'm getting mixed messages here

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Cyberbird posted:

it's gonna suck sorry. it will look good enough and show off scarjo's rear end but it'll totally miss the existential themes and use of visual symbolism that made GitS a great movie.

yeah probably

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

actually rupert sanders, the director, has previously tackled themes of existentialism & transhumanism with great skill in his 2009 halo 3 ad,

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Cold on a Cob posted:

extremely loving late but, hardware

from a few pages back but music box is doing a midnight showing of this tonight & tomorrow

https://www.musicboxtheatre.com/films/hardware

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

bump_fn posted:

from a few pages back but music box is doing a midnight showing of this tonight & tomorrow

https://www.musicboxtheatre.com/films/hardware

Wtf does "A love letter to Generation X’s cultural holocaust of the Baby Boomers’ legacy" mean? That is some amazing purple prose though.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i dunno, i think it's pretty self explanatory if you've ever seen hardware

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

infernal machines posted:

i dunno, i think it's pretty self explanatory if you've ever seen hardware

I have not but now I desperately want to! It seems it is not on any of the normal web channels nor anywhere in meatspace. I can get it in the black net but I want the creators to get their cut. Good microsoft ain't cheap after all. Suggestions?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

well, ithink the first place i'd look is the worlds largest digital marketspace. it's a bit obscure, but one of the boosters in the back can probably point you in the right direction

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

at the date posted:

an entire movie where Black Widow wears an even more skintight latex bodysuit while doing sick anime moves is pretty much the definition of fanservice, and if that isn't obvious to you then you are the fan being serviced

look it wasnt a skintight suit originally so it is a fandisservice and we are all better for it

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

infernal machines posted:

well, ithink the first place i'd look is the worlds largest digital marketspace. it's a bit obscure, but one of the boosters in the back can probably point you in the right direction

Well poo poo. When I checked earlier it said it was out of stock. What a happy turn!

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

note: i'm not recommending you buy hardware. you should see it, somehow, but i don't know if it's the kinda thing you want to own.

movie is grimy as gently caress

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

Grimy you say? :science:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

hardware is awesome as gently caress but i dont really think its a good movie

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

also it was called M.A.R.K. 13 after the bot over here, which is a much cooler name than hardware which is bleh

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

I figured out what happened. I was looking at the multi format which are out of stock.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
im gonna see it tomorrow night

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

Cyberbird posted:

also they won't be able to resist making her vulnerable because female characters can't be appealing if they don't have a sense of uncertainty or a DEEPLY CONCEALED EMOTIONAL WEAK SPOT about them. the whole 'why am I a cyborg' thing is the start of that

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

DEEPLY CONCEALED EMOTIONAL WEAK SPOT

it glows orange when she is upset

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

if i find gore mostly upsetting is hardware watchable

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

my housemate is excited for the upcoming live-action ghost in the shell film because he is some kind of weirdo anime evangelist who wants ordinary moviegoers to get interested in watching cartoons from japan

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Crusader posted:

if i find gore mostly upsetting is hardware watchable

eh. no. you're probably not gonna like it

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Glorgnole posted:

my housemate is excited for the upcoming live-action ghost in the shell film because he is some kind of weirdo anime evangelist who wants ordinary moviegoers to get interested in watching cartoons from japan

anime is terrible. all of it. even akira.

except fist of the north star, korean dub, when you're high as gently caress

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

watch strange days

or maybe freejack

they're both terrible and grimy for their own reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

• Locked thread