Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Random Stranger posted:

That sounds like an awesome project.

I'd think the actual external interfaces would be the hardest part on the cabinet...

There's a company that makes a replica of the controller. Right now I only have a 1-sided controller but whenever we move and I have the space I intend to get the full set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
What's the best place to get some UGCs?

I really wanted to get some BitBoxes to make my loose games look like old VHS rentals, but the price is way prohibitive. Might as well standardize my whole lot if I'm going to invest in cases...

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
So I started streaming random arcade games again last night and got ESWAT and boy, that's a real fun and goofy rear end game. Doesn't overstay its welcome, solid action, a bunch of dumb poo poo happening (you get to be a policeman in a robot suit and kick a monster truck to death), it's pretty great. Playing the arcade version made me go and take more than a passing glance at the Genesis version but it seemed just as boring as I'd always thought ESWAT looked, which is why I never bothered with the arcade version in the first place. Anyway, play ESWAT.

absolutely anything fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Feb 10, 2017

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

FilthyImp posted:

What's the best place to get some UGCs?

I really wanted to get some BitBoxes to make my loose games look like old VHS rentals, but the price is way prohibitive. Might as well standardize my whole lot if I'm going to invest in cases...

I got a bunch from Amazon a while ago. I've actually been wanting to get rid of my extras. How many do you need?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
This is y'all's reminder that the theme to Metal Gear 2 is the most 80's thing out there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpIjT-LhNwg

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

absolutely anything posted:

So I started streaming random arcade games again last night and got ESWAT and boy, that's a real fun and goofy rear end game. Doesn't overstay its welcome, solid action, a bunch of dumb poo poo happening (you get to be a policeman in a robot suit and kick a monster truck to death), it's pretty great. Playing the arcade version made me go and take more than a passing glance at the Genesis version but it seemed just as boring as I'd always thought ESWAT looked, which is why I never bothered with the arcade version in the first place. Anyway, play ESWAT.

Nice to see some equal opportunity with the boobs/butt pose.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

RZA Encryption posted:

I got a bunch from Amazon a while ago. I've actually been wanting to get rid of my extras. How many do you need?
Sweet. I think 40 would cover my current collection.

The only places I could find that carried them were odd media storage sites in packs of 100,, and the Amazon resellers were overpriced for a fraction of that.

Like, I could pay $40 for 25 cases, or $70 for 100. I figured I would just tell the wife that I need to buy more games to fill out whatever extras I had :shepspends:

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

sometimes you can still find cool poo poo in brick and mortars

shubibinman 3, neat PCE-CD sidescroller I've been wanting for a while but totally didn't expect to cross off my list today

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Cool, that's one of the games I used to have. I seem to recall that it was really hyped by one of the PCE sites but I found it a little disappointing. Don't recall why, though. Please update with your findings.

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

WE HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR YOU!
When someone finally comes up with a no-disc solution for PC Engine CD it's going to feel like having a brand new console from an alternate dimension, I don't know that library at all

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

univbee posted:

The MSU-1 patch for Flashback does this, I think taking the music from the 3DO version or something?
Oh interesting. That seems to be a common thing with the big (only?) two Delphine games. Another World's recent remake lets you toggle Sega CD music, and the PC sourceport of Flashback can utilize speech audio from one of the console versions (I think it's also Sega CD and it's jarringly bad).

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Star Man posted:

This is y'all's reminder that the theme to Metal Gear 2 is the most 80's thing out there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpIjT-LhNwg

For some reason Konami's always been really good with music, even on NES. And it is distinctive sounding, I can usually tell if its an old Konami game by the sound of the music.

I'll never play Cosmic Wars but goddamn do I love the music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srC1XJI_nOY&list=PL4DC5143E911A9C63

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I got this in today from goon Tunasled. :toot:

Not tried it yet since I need to get some batteries, but kinda happy to finally have a super scope at last. Also got the receiver from him as well, but it plugged into the SNES right now.

Alucardd
Aug 1, 2006

TheRedEye posted:

When someone finally comes up with a no-disc solution for PC Engine CD it's going to feel like having a brand new console from an alternate dimension, I don't know that library at all

Deunan, the person behind the GDEMU and the Rhea/Phoebe Saturn ODE has been working on a PCE-CD ODE and occasionally posts progress https://gdemu.wordpress.com/2017/02/08/electric-mantra/.

Oh and I guess if anyone wants a SD drive replacement for your 21-pin Saturn, they are opening Phoebe orders tomorrow if you don't want to wait for the expansion slot solution to materialize.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

:siren: Yakuza 1-4 have gotten a reprinting

So you can get Yakuza 2 for $49.99CAD now instead of the $100+ it was going for.

Available at videogamesplus in Canada and Amazon in the US.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I got my N64 UltraHDMI and it is so very slick. There some options that still don't seem to behave with my TV (such as the vaunted Direct Mode), and I can't seem to access the UltraHDMI's menu without having a game in the system, but overall it looks great with Auto De-Blur in 1080p and more importantly it works in non-Direct Mode with no artifacts on my TV, fixing the weird issue I was having with vanilla RGB. I guess the scanlines they throw in for Retro Mode aren't the worst implementation I've seen but I still don't think I care for that fake retro look. Even for mid-to-late 90s 3D video gamin' I think I'd rather have it all super sharp and crisp, warts and all.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

FilthyImp posted:

Sweet. I think 40 would cover my current collection.

The only places I could find that carried them were odd media storage sites in packs of 100,, and the Amazon resellers were overpriced for a fraction of that.

Like, I could pay $40 for 25 cases, or $70 for 100. I figured I would just tell the wife that I need to buy more games to fill out whatever extras I had :shepspends:

I have around 25 extras. They're yours if you pay shipping.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

univbee posted:

So you can get Yakuza 2 for $49.99CAD now instead of the $100+ it was going for.

Random Stranger posted:

I guess I better sell my PS2 copy of Yakuza 2 soon before the price crashes. :v:

Goddamn it!

And why isn't there a physical release of Yakuza 5 in this!

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

univbee posted:

sweet. I picked up Yakuza 4, which was the only one I didn't pick up physically.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

univbee posted:

Where's the best place to start in the Yakuza series?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

azurite posted:

4 in my opinion. Just use the Reminisce menu option to learn about the previous games.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

azurite posted:

One isn't as refined as later entries in the series. Two is when it starts coming together. Three is kind of a step backward in story while enhancing all the other systems, and four is a step sideways away from what had been the main narrative which actually makes it a pretty good entry point. Three got a lot of complaints for removing an sleazy minigame in the western release where you manage a stable of women (as well as a Japanese history trivia game, but for some reason that change didn't get complaints).

That said. the first game has probably the strongest narrative since it's actually a halfway decent crime melodrama and the rest of the games build on it. It also helps to know a bit about real life Yakuza and Japanese politics before playing the games because there's a lot of stuff in them that the games take it as a given that the player will understand.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Whats the best 'end of life' game to showcase the Genesis' ability? Monster World IV?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Sorry for the awkward picture, but yeah I am very happy to get the Super Scope 6. It pretty fun for a 25 year old add-on that I never got to own as a kid.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

dishwasherlove posted:

Whats the best 'end of life' game to showcase the Genesis' ability? Monster World IV?

I don't know if Monster World 4 is the most impressive game to show off, but it is really good.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I'd wager something like Red Zone myself. I mean:

Although it's not necessarily the most fun game to play, given its brutal difficulty...

Or maybe just Alien Soldier. Because Alien Soldier.

Shadow Hog fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Feb 11, 2017

XYZ
Aug 31, 2001

RetroArch was ported to the NES Classic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0tYig8SnU8

30MB limit but cool that it works.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

dishwasherlove posted:

Gunstar Heroes

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

dishwasherlove posted:

If we call "end of life" 1995 on, there's quite a few things that look decent but play terribly. Comix Zone and Ristar are probably the last two strong games to come from Sega themselves for the platform. Alien Soldier is pretty cool. And then after that anything I'd suggest would be super conditional.

FWIW, Monster World IV was 1994 which is probably the last big year for the Genesis. Tons of great stuff released that year.

Rirse posted:

Sorry for the awkward picture, but yeah I am very happy to get the Super Scope 6. It pretty fun for a 25 year old add-on that I never got to own as a kid.

I'm the weird guy who likes the puzzle game with it best.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Random Stranger posted:

If we call "end of life" 1995 on, there's quite a few things that look decent but play terribly. Comix Zone and Ristar are probably the last two strong games to come from Sega themselves for the platform. Alien Soldier is pretty cool. And then after that anything I'd suggest would be super conditional.

FWIW, Monster World IV was 1994 which is probably the last big year for the Genesis. Tons of great stuff released that year.

I'm the weird guy who likes the puzzle game with it best.

Which one is that. I only tried the first option in Super Scope 6 so far.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Nate RFB posted:

I got my N64 UltraHDMI and it is so very slick. There some options that still don't seem to behave with my TV (such as the vaunted Direct Mode), and I can't seem to access the UltraHDMI's menu without having a game in the system, but overall it looks great with Auto De-Blur in 1080p and more importantly it works in non-Direct Mode with no artifacts on my TV, fixing the weird issue I was having with vanilla RGB. I guess the scanlines they throw in for Retro Mode aren't the worst implementation I've seen but I still don't think I care for that fake retro look. Even for mid-to-late 90s 3D video gamin' I think I'd rather have it all super sharp and crisp, warts and all.

N64 literally does not boot without a cartridge inserted since each cartridge contains a bootloader, so that's not surprising.

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

dishwasherlove posted:

I always think Panorama Cotton looks very cool. I'm impressed by all of those Super Scaler style games, though.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Rirse posted:

Which one is that. I only tried the first option in Super Scope 6 so far.

Blastris, of course.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Instant Sunrise posted:

N64 literally does not boot without a cartridge inserted since each cartridge contains a bootloader, so that's not surprising.

A cartridge, or an N64 DD. And yes, an American N64 will boot with the Japanese DD inserted.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

azurite posted:

If you don't mind jumping around a bit between newer and more dated gameplay and just want to experience Yakuza, Yakuza 0 just came out in the US for the PS4 and is the perfect place to start. It's a prequel, obviously, so you don't need to know anything about the series and it's also very good. A remake of Yakuza 1 called Kiwami that ties into 0 is coming out later this year as well. Going back to 2 and 3 after those might be rough (2 from a gameplay refinement standpoint and 3 from a it's kinda boring and still not all that refined standpoint) but if you don't care about experiencing the gradual improvement of the systems, Yakuza 0 is the way to go.

absolutely anything fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Feb 11, 2017

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

dishwasherlove posted:

Monster World IV looks great but that's mostly down to art design rather than technical chops, I'd say. Crusader of Centy's another game I'd put in that same category.

Alien Soldier is the flipside - it's undeniably technically accomplished but the art style's quite idiosyncratic and disjointed so it doesn't gel with a lot of people. (Gunstar Heroes and Dynamite Headdy, Treasure's other original sidescrollers, are definitely worth a look as well.)

Adventures of Batman & Robin is a good pick - it's full of flashy effects that rival Treasure's stuff and it was made in collaboration with the Batman TAS animators so it looks great to boot. Jesper Kyd did the music and it also plays to the MD's strength even though it doesn't make much sense in the context of a Batman TAS game.

Ranger X pulls of a lot of neat tricks including clever use of shadows/highlights to imply a really wide SNES-style colour palette, wireframe 3D level intros, etc.

Konami's later sidescrollers are all impressive in their own ways: Contra Hard Corps, Castlevania Bloodlines and Rocket Knight Adventures.

The Vectorman games aren't much fun but they're packed with "let's see DKC do this!"-type gimmicks that are pretty neat.

The Toy Story game has some neat gimmicks, including a first-person stage that runs better than any legit FPS released for MD.

Red Zone is fun to marvel at but not much fun to play - it's a top-down helicopter game by some demoscene dudes that uses tons of rotation and clever parallax tricks to imply 3D depth:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZKsQ09qOk4

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Feb 11, 2017

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Rirse posted:

Definitely pick up Metal Combat, it was by far my favorite Super Scope game, and up there among all light gunners. Its predecessor Battleclash is also good.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

RZA Encryption posted:

I have around 25 extras. They're yours if you pay shipping.
Sounds great!

Send me an email spaz prime @ Gmail . Com to work out the shipping stuff.

Thanks!

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
I got started in Yakuza at Yakuza 3, and I think it's a great game. I think 4 refines basically everything about it though, and 4 remains my hands-down favorite game in the series and my favorite game on the PS3 period. So, so good. I still haven't played 1 or 2 but am really hyped for Kiwami.

Yakuza 0 would be a good starter from a chronological standpoint, though. It's also a remarkably good game so far, I'm completely hooked.

I guess 3 could be seen as more boring, but it was just so much fun to beat people up and explore Kamurocho that I never really felt "bored". There's a TON of side story stuff to do, and mini games, etc. Yakuza 4 is definitely faster paced and more "exciting", though. The scene leading up to the end, with the guys walking to the tower for the final battle in their suits, is amazing: https://youtu.be/5DHOpRNJb-I?t=100

The Milkman posted:

Definitely pick up Metal Combat, it was by far my favorite Super Scope game, and up there among all light gunners. Its predecessor Battleclash is also good.

God I used to play so much Metal Combat. I think I could clear it without dying, I remember I got really good. Fun game!

e. Comedy Option: Start with Yakuza: Dead Souls. :v: I actually really liked it, because I love the characters / environment, but holy poo poo the bugs were bad. Fun game though, if you can get past that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Code Jockey posted:

e. Comedy Option: Start with Yakuza: Dead Souls. :v: I actually really liked it, because I love the characters / environment, but holy poo poo the bugs were bad. Fun game though, if you can get past that.

The games should be played in chronological order. Start with Kenzan and then skip ahead three hundred years to Ishan. :colbert:

• Locked thread